Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

GRE And Universities In Canada - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GRE And Universities In Canada (19573 Views)

15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret. / Meet Representatives Of Colleges And Universities In UK, Canada, USA, Nigeria / Preparing for GRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GRE And Universities In Canada by kbayo(m): 3:42pm On Jul 03, 2006
Hello house members,

Please can anybody help me with the importance of GRE in applying to Canadian Universities. I have a score of 1270 in GRE and 273 in TOEFL. I am of the opinion that the GRE score is low. Should I go to with my application? University of Toronto and Waterloo are my picks for MSc in Biomedical Engineering.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Badman888(m): 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2006
U of T and Uni of waterloo are top schools, so it might be kinda hard to use that, but was anything stated on their website so that you have an idea,
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 1:10am On Jul 04, 2006
who told you that those schools are the top? It is all hype, all schools are good, can't you just use your undergrad. result to enter?
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by kolahinmi(m): 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2006
@ hotstepper,
is it possible for one to use is undergraduate result for a postgraduate application in canadian schools.I would really like to do my masters in canada in the area of civil engineering.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by kbayo(m): 5:11pm On Jul 04, 2006
Thanks house members.
Actually,they both stated that GRE is not an essential part of the admission decision,they still insisted that one should submit a copy of the score report so that they can have a good picture of the applicant.I really want to be sure if it won't prejudice my chance of admission.I have a GP of 4.08 out 5.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Busta(f): 5:42pm On Jul 04, 2006
i think u can, as long as u can provide ur transcripts
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Garuba(m): 7:38pm On Jul 04, 2006
kbayo:

Please can anybody help me with the importance of GRE in applying to Canadian Universities. I have a score of 1270 in GRE and 273 in TOEFL. I am of the opinion that the GRE score is low. Should I go to with my application? University of Toronto and Waterloo are my picks for MSc in Biomedical Engineering.

For University of Toronto, GRE scores are not required but will be considered if submitted. For TOEFL taken in a computer based TOEFL the minimum score is 237, and 580 taken otherwise. You also need to score a minimum of 4.0 on a TWE (test of written english) or 7.0 on IELTS (International english language testing system), These are only required if english is NOT your first language. Coming from Nigeria that should not be a problem. You also need a minimum of a UofT B+ equivalent average in your last two years of undergrad. Coming from Nigeria you need to graduate with a 2nd class upper.

Hope that helps
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by debosky(m): 11:17pm On Jul 04, 2006
what kind of master's do you want to do: is it thesis based or course based?

make sure you get very good recommendation letters from your profs in nigeria, since you're interested in biomed engineering, your quantitative score is more important than the total score, what did u get?

if its thesis based, read up on the professor's research area and try to get in touch with them to see if they are interested in taking you.

by and large for grad programs, once u meet the basic requirements and a prof is interested in taking u on as a student, the job is finished, so try to get in touch with professors in the debt you want to go into and try to form some kind of relationship, read up on their research areas and think of what areas u would like to work in

all the best
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by kbayo(m): 1:00pm On Jul 05, 2006
[color=#006600][/col

You guys at nairaland are simply great !It's lovely to hear from the "Nigerian-Canadians". I think I would have to get in touch with the Profs to see if they will be willing to take me.However,what happens if they do not reply my mails.Should I keep nagging or just wait for a reply no matter how long it takes.Thanks
[quote][/quote] When u make your marks in the world, beware of guys with erasers.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by debosky(m): 7:02pm On Jul 05, 2006
first get as much background info on the prof as much as possible, details about their research interests and papers published, etc., then tailor your mail in a way that shows interest in what they are working on.

admissions for september this year are already closed so you can start to make the contacts now, give them a week or two then you can send a reminder e-mail, if you start early and discover the profs at a school have no openings, then u dont have to waste money applying to that school, you can narrow down your choices and make a better pick.

also try to write a statement of purpose saying why u want to study the course, and your future plans, it always helps to appear to have a coherent and focused plan.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by funloving(m): 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2006
For those in canada,
please how much will it cost on average to do a Master's degree in Engineering or IT in a canadian university ?

I am interested in total cost (International student tuition fees+living expenses).

A rough estimate for regions like Ontario, BC,Alberta, Newfoundland and Novia Scotia will be okay.

Thanks
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2006
your question cannot be answered really cuz you need to go to the website of the schools and check. tHEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE AND knowing after 6 months of being in the institution, you can work off campus as an International Student. This country is damn 2 good, I will get back to you, Ontario is the most expensive in all the provinces but have more students. Itz matetr of your choice .get abck you soon,
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by funloving(m): 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2006
Hotstepper:

your question cannot be answered really because you need to go to the website of the schools and check. tHEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE AND knowing after 6 months of being in the institution, you can work off campus as an International Student. This country is damn 2 good, I will get back to you, Ontario is the most expensive in all the provinces but have more students. Itz matetr of your choice .get abck you soon,

Hotstepper, thank for this preliminary info. I await further details if you have got it.

No need to give me a specific amount. You can just estimate the range for the less expensive regions like BC, NF and NS.

For example, I can tell you that on average it will cost between £15-£25K to go through an MSc in the UK.
That kind of estimation will be okay.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by debosky(m): 7:31pm On Jul 06, 2006
point of correction, BC is pretty expensive too, especially housing, its almost as bad as toronto.

places like NB, NF and NS are less expensive overall, but like hotstepper said, you'll find a greater variety and number of students in ontario.

basically you'll need at least $20,000 a year for tuition plus living expenses. it depends on the school, the course and the location of course, but i think that figure is a good baseline.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by funloving(m): 10:39pm On Jul 06, 2006
@debosky
Thanks for the correction on BC
The money you estimated is it Canadian or American dollars ?
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by debosky(m): 12:07am On Jul 07, 2006
either way its pretty much the same these days, american or canadian dollars
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Badman888(m): 8:02am On Jul 07, 2006
In terms of being being cheap i dont think NS should be included, because that place is still as expensive as ON and BC. I know MB, has the cheapest tution in the country.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by funloving(m): 11:05am On Jul 07, 2006
You Canadian guys and babes are simply fantastic.
*Where is the hand clapping smiley  smiley*

Take it for granted that the fellow concerned has secured admission and paid the tuition fees or at least part of the fees .

1]What are the travel/visa requirements if leaving from Nigeria?

2]Hotstepper mentioned something about working after six months. How feasible is this ? Or are there tight constraints for working and schooling ? Are the jobs readily avialable ?
What sort of student jobs are likey to be available ?
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 6:04pm On Jul 07, 2006
you can work and school at the same time but within the school until you have studied 2 academic sections in that institution then you can apply for your work permit and it shall be given to you and u are den allowed to work outside campus and any company you want once you are hired. But within da campus, security which is fun, lol, and other stuff even helping departments, your school location matters as well, you will be fine with them friendly Canadians tongue
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by debosky(m): 7:45pm On Jul 07, 2006
well for the visa requirements, you need

1. admission letter

2. proof of funds to pay for your studies - bank statements, etc

3. academic records - ssce, university degree certificate, transcripts, etc

4. a medical test to show you're healthy

5. affidavit/ letter of sponsorship from whoever is paying your fees

basically apart from these u need to convince them that u want to go back to nigeria when you're done, and that u really have an interest in the curse you're going to do,

the medical test will be done by a recommended hospital so when u get to the embassy u'll be informed

make sure you have (or at least your sponsor has) enough dough to support you for the whole program, don't go to the embassy and say 'i'll work to pay for my studies'. and have like a plan of what you're going to do when u get baack to nigeria
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by funloving(m): 12:40am On Jul 08, 2006
Thank you debosky and Hotstepper for the information.

Have a splendid weekend
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by EdoScribe: 3:51am On Jul 08, 2006
Kbayo,

What is the breakdown - Quant, Verbal & AW (analytical Writing Section)? If any section is less than the 45th percentile, then it may be problematic.  However, your TOEFL is solid. If your TWE is 5 or above, then you're sitting pretty. Toronto U is not that selective. Make sure you write a killer statement of purpose (essay).

Stay proud and don't lose face!
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by talktoibb(f): 11:00pm On Jul 08, 2006
hello house members
i guess it will be best to go in with your undergraduate result and transcript
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by ccaramel(f): 11:36pm On Apr 15, 2007
hey busta,  do you live in toronto? I think I have seen you before,
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by aceteo: 8:01am On Sep 13, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am Alvin from Singapore and I am considering to take my PhD program for chemical engineering in University of Alberta. I just took my GRE with a quantitative score of 800 but my verbal was only a score of 400.

Can anyone tell me what are my chances in getting a spot in the program? Should I retake my GRE? I no need to take TOFEL coz the language in my country is actually English?

Please advise?

Thank You!
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by owems(f): 2:04pm On Sep 20, 2007
please can any1 tell me anything bout Touche i have heard so many uncomplimenatary comments bout de,.Also does EduWorld really register the gre
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by bijaya(m): 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2007
hi!
i am bijaya from nepal. right now i am in bangalore(india) and i will be getting over with my biotechnology engineering in 7 months time.i am really interested in getting into any good colleges in canada but i have a very little information regarding the way to get in there. my field of interest is biomedical engineering and should i do gre and tofel to be the part of toronto university.is it compulsory to give ielts test or tofel will also work. i would also like to know about the fee structures and any other option for my career advancement, and since i am a hard working student i would also like to know about the scholarship programmes.hope u guys will reciprocate well.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by tomiade1(m): 11:06pm On Sep 26, 2010
hmmm. . tongue
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by face5ivee: 8:43am On Oct 04, 2014
Good days friends in Nigeria and in diaspora. My name is Johnson Joseph, a graduate of Natural and applied Chemistry with a second class upper (2.1)and applied for MSc in Saudi Arabia. My school requires both Toefl and GRE.

I have succeeded in writing Toefl and got a score of 70 in the CBT. My school requirement is 68. Now am left with GRE,

Am soliciting for help or financial assistance of 30,000 to enable me register this exam as the deadline for submission of the scores is 2 of November, 2014. Have been looking for Job, no avail and still hoping, but needs to register so as to enable the result come out on time

Please: proof of my qualification, Toefl result will be shown to any body who wants to assist, as this is not a scam , thanks

Email : jeffrey44jones@gmail.com
My adress : no 3 akinbowale street, sango Ota Ogun State.
Re: GRE And Universities In Canada by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
face5ivee:
Good days friends in Nigeria and in diaspora. My name is Johnson Joseph, a graduate of Natural and applied Chemistry with a second class upper (2.1)and applied for MSc in Saudi Arabia. My school requires both Toefl and GRE.

I have succeeded in writing Toefl and got a score of 70 in the CBT. My school requirement is 68. Now am left with GRE,

Am soliciting for help or financial assistance of 30,000 to enable me register this exam as the deadline for submission of the scores is 2 of November, 2014. Have been looking for Job, no avail and still hoping, but needs to register so as to enable the result come out on time

Please: proof of my qualification, Toefl result will be shown to any body who wants to assist, as this is not a scam , thanks

Email : jeffrey44jones@gmail.com
My adress : no 3 akinbowale street, sango Ota Ogun State.

Justwise

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Worst Universites. / Ogun State Institute Of Technology Igbesa 2014/2015 Admissions Is Out!!! / 80% Of University Lecturers Are Quacks - Shehu Chindo Yamusa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.