Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,855 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Do You Listen To The Bbc? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do You Listen To The Bbc? (1305 Views)

What Are Those Cool Songs You Listen To At Night After A Hectic Day? / How The Songs You Listen To Reveal Who You Are!!! / Know What You Listen To: (fallen Angel)-chris Brown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Listen To The Bbc? by sirwebs(m): 10:45pm On Jul 05, 2006
Do you listen to the BBC world service? I have been listening for nearly ten years on transistor radios and my favourite programme is sports round up. Other favourites are: Letter from America (rested), news now, network Africa.

i believe i have become more informed and enlightened since i picked up this habit and readily recommend it to younger and young people.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by eveseh(f): 11:10pm On Jul 05, 2006
no i dont,

i hate watching news,

even CNN
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by damygurl(f): 11:14pm On Jul 05, 2006
I hate watching the news too. it's boring plus it's real depressing and they got this pattern they follow. i'm talking about the local news. Someone is alwayz getting raped,shot, abused, then bush is gon say something and during skool dayz a lil boi or gurl is caught with a gun or knife at skool and there is alwayz a murder trial going on.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by eveseh(f): 11:18pm On Jul 05, 2006
LOL damgurl,me and u grin
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by Eastcoast(f): 12:12am On Jul 06, 2006
@damygurl, i 100% agree with u. Even my lil sister that is just 10 fears the news like she's crazy. she claims it makes her have night mares. IT is filled with negative things. As a matter of fact, if someone routinely watch the news, they could become terribly depressed and terrified at their environment.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by damygurl(f): 12:17am On Jul 06, 2006
you got it. it's like no where is safe not even a movie theater.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by hotangel2(f): 3:03am On Jul 06, 2006
@ eastcoast and damy: thanks for shortening my words. Y'all said it.

BUT, I watch News sometimes, especially since i started taking Government classes. But instead of watching i sometimes just go on their website. Get wat the hell is happening and u know be current.

But all those local news at night. Just yam-yam-poo.

I sometimes watch CNN. Like yesterday morning 4th of July.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by Ka: 10:03am On Jul 06, 2006
Sirwebs,

Good on you for seeking information where you can find it.

I used to listen to the BBC World Service myself many years ago in Nigeria - for me, the main motivation was that there was never any decent programming on local radio. I enjoyed many of the programmes, including Letter from America (which as you note has been rested since the death of the original presenter, Alistair Cooke), Outlook, the book readings and comedy shows.

But it's the African Service programming that has a special place in my heart. Programmes like Focus On Africa (which had a distinctive trumpet signature tune and which reported African news stories, sometimes providing information that you wouldn't hear about in Nigeria), Network Africa (which kicked off with an Osibisa signature tune and which was a more light-hearted magazine style programme) and African Perspective (which usually aired factual African documentaries and drama) did a lot to expand my mind and change the way I think. And even though I no longer listen to the BBC World Service (since I have access to the internet which pretty much fills my need for access to information), I look back on my BBC World Service days as a time where I learnt far more than I ever did going to university.

Damygurl,

I hear you. I personally no longer listen to the news on television any more because I don't need to hear every detail of every murder or crime on TV. If you think about it, why is it so important to know? I mean, will knowing that X child was killed help you plan your life better?

But it doesn't mean I block out the news altogether. I think there's still important stuff out there which it's a good idea to know about. For example, I pay more attention to documentaries or news feature programmes that don't just tell you what's happening, but tell you why they are happening and what the effects will be in the future. I'm interested in stories that talk about trends that are happening over a long period of time (like the rise and rise of iPods) rather than something that just happens for a few weeks and disappears completely. Some of the stuff I pay attention to may be regarded as boring (like business news or government financial policy) but again, I'm interested in it because the decisions that are reported can affect me and I'd like to know what's heading my way before it hits.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by Mustay(m): 12:25pm On Aug 18, 2008
Ka:

I used to listen to the BBC World Service myself many years ago in Nigeria - for me, the main motivation was that there was never any decent programming on local radio. I enjoyed many of the programmes, including Letter from America (which as you note has been rested since the death of the original presenter, Alistair Cooke), Outlook, the book readings and comedy shows.

But it's the African Service programming that has a special place in my heart. Programmes like Focus On Africa (which had a distinctive trumpet signature tune and which reported African news stories, sometimes providing information that you wouldn't hear about in Nigeria), Network Africa (which kicked off with an Osibisa signature tune and which was a more light-hearted magazine style programme) and African Perspective (which usually aired factual African documentaries and drama) did a lot to expand my mind and change the way I think.

They got so many 'problem' news on that program
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by MrCrackles(m): 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2008
i do and i like hardTALK

the news is comprehensive as well!
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by shilling(f): 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
Hardly listen to the BBC, because I prefer CNN. But, I watch Hardtalk though, its very educative and informative.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by Mustay(m): 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2008
I like this It program they show -CLICK!

but on bbc radio - "story story; voices from the market" is a good show!
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by HC: 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2008
i prefer BBC, i don't trust anything that comes out of CNN; they are too dramatic.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by chrisical(m): 9:22am On Aug 21, 2008
yes bro, i am a regular listener.Sports roundup,sportsworld,story story,inside the premier league,focus on africa ,network africa,world briefing,over to you e.t.c it is a daily thing for me.

So brutal,when i spit i leave creeps with scars
Astronomers regard mr xtraordinary coz i rock in planet mars[i][/i]
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by toladop(m): 3:55am On Aug 23, 2008
I think BBC radio1 is popular. I use BBC to check weather forecast. Was overly impressed & excited on a day I was listening to BBc and they were talking about Things Fall Apart. I think they had also used some people to record some parts of the book for audio(can't really remember). But was glad anyway.
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by c33b33(m): 12:49pm On Aug 23, 2008
I listen to bbc alot but recently have stopped because service is really bad in my current location.I remember when my sms was read & callers were using it as a reference,i was elated!
Re: Do You Listen To The Bbc? by Gamine(f): 2:24pm On Aug 23, 2008
Once upon a time

(1) (Reply)

9ice At Mandela's Birthday Concert / Vh1’s 100 Greatest Hip-hop Songs / Sport Radio Brila Fm’s Resident Dj, Wickedest Dj Dino Drops Mixtape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.