Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) (20271 Views)

Lailatul Qadr: It's Significance / Search For The Night Of Majesty (lailatul Qadr) Begins / Be Prepared, Don't Miss The Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadry) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Hardar4lag(m): 10:52am On Sep 16, 2008
Anybody with info about Lailatul Quadri (Night of Majesty)
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by babs787(m): 7:39pm On Sep 16, 2008
Lailatul Qadr : The Night of Power

Qadr means honour and dignity. Lailatul Qadr means the night of honour and dignity. It is this night in which the first Divine Revelation came to the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam, when he was in prayer in the cave of Hira. Since this night enjoys the honour of having the first revelation brought to the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam, it has been named Lailatul Qadr.

This is one of the holiest and most blessed nights, which is likely to occur on one of the odd nights on the last ten days of Ramadhan and most likely to be the 27th. The reward of worship on this night is better than the worship of a thousand months of worship, equivalent to a person's lifetime. So, on this night one should pray nafil namaz, recite the Quran, do Tasbih, Zikr, Duas, etc as much as possible.

This night had already opened its gates of treasures when the angel for the first time had come with the Divine Message in the cave of Hira, but its auspiciousness has continued to be with us permanently. Every year in the month of Ramadhan, this night is given to the Ummah. Muslims engage in prayers, recitation of Quran and praying to Allah, as the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam said: "The person who offered prayers to Allah in the night of Dignity with faith and with hope of reward from Allah, all his past sins have been forgiven." (Bukhaari)

As the rainy season is suitable for farming, similarly for the attainment of nearness to Allah, specific times , specific days and specific nights are most suitable, e.g. the time of Tahajjud prayers, Friday prayers, month of Ramadhan, the Day of Arafah, etc. So also the Night of Power is the most suitable night for attaining nearness to Allah.

In the Hadeeth, we have been asked to seek it in the last ten nights of the month of Ramadhan. Hazrat Aa'ishah radhiyallahu anhaa narrates that the Messenger of Allah sallalahu alayhi wasallam has said, 'Seek the night of Dignity in the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadhan'.(Bukhaari).

By odd nights, the reference is made to the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th, 29th night of the month of Ramadhan. No one night has been fixed so that the yearning to find it may increase and people may spend more nights in worshipping Allah. From this aspect, the importance of `Itikaaf (seclusion) during the last ten days of Ramadhan is clear.

Some special prayers and Zikr for Laitul Qadr:

1. Seeking Forgiveness. Hazrat Aa'ishah radhiyallahu anhaa asked the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam that if she happened to get the night sublime what prayer should she say. The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam replied that she should say the following prayer :
"Allahumma innaka afuwwun kareemun tuhib-bul af-wa fa-afo anni"
(O Allah, You are the One who grants pardon for sins, loves forgiving, so forgive me.)

2. Reciting Astaghfar. The following should be recited as much as possible:
"Astaghfirullah hallazi la-ila-ha illa huwal Hayyul Qayyumo wa atu-bu ilaihe"
(I seek forgiveness from Allah, the Almighty, there is no God but He. He is self-Existent, the Eternal and I return to Him)

3. Reciting Surah `Inna anzalnahu, '

"Inna anzalnahu fee lailatul Qadr, Wa maa adraka maa lailatul Qadr.
Lailatul Qadri khairum min alfi shahr. Tanazzalul malai-katu var-roohu
fee ha bi izni Rabbihim min kulle amr. Salaamun heya hatta matla-il fajr."

4. Do Salatul Tasbih.

5. Do Afzul Zikr i.e. La ilaha illallah

Maa Salam

1 Like

Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Yinuola(m): 8:03pm On Sep 18, 2008
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Hardar4lag(m): 8:29pm On Sep 18, 2008
@Yinuola i can see u jst registered and dis is ur new post but watz d meaning of your post
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Yinuola(m): 3:01pm On Sep 19, 2008
My brothers and sisters in islam please let us be prayerful during this period because the nights of lailatuli qadir is the close set time to get merciful of ALMIGHTY ALLAH.
Masalam
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by ajibawealt(m): 9:22am On Sep 24, 2008
@ Babs 87

Can u pls explain what u meant by Salatul Tasbih (item 4)
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by babs787(m): 8:45pm On Oct 01, 2008
Can u please explain what u meant by Salatul Tasbih (item 4)

ONE

For forgiveness of All Sins

Benefits of Salat-Ul-Tasbih

Our Beloved Prophet Mohammed (Sallallaho Alihiwassallam) said to his uncle (father’s brother) Sayyiduna Abbass (may Allah be pleased with him) Oh uncle shall I not give you Shall I not grant you Shall I not award you Shall I not do mercy on you When you do 10 things Allah will forgive your sins: of the future and of the past; new and old; those you have forgotten and those you did knowingly; big and small; hidden and revealed. Then he (Sallallaho Alihiwassallam) explained the taught the way to pray Salatul Tasbih and then said if you can pray this salah once a day, if you can not pray once a day then every Friday, and even if this is not possible then once a month and even if this is not possible then once a year and even if this is not possible then at least once in a lifetime (Abu’Dawood & Tirimzi)

How to perform Salatul Tasbih?

This salaat (namaz) is offered in four rakat at a time and can be read in any part of the day and night besides Zawal and Sunrise and Sunset makrooh times, keeping in mind the forbidden times for performing Salat (namaaz). But is is preferred before Zuhr (Fatawa Alamgeeri)

The Tasbih to be read in Salaat-Ul-Tasbeeh:
" Subhaan Allahi Wal Hamdulillahi Wa Laa ilaha illal Laahu Wallahu Akbar "

Method:
Goal is to recite above Tasbih 300 times in Four Rakah with the following method.
In the first rakaat, after reading Sana "Subhaana Kallahumma, ", read the above tasbih 15 times.

Now recite Aaoz "Aoozubillah, ", Bismillah "Bismillah, ", Then read sura Fatiha and a Surah or minimum of three small Ayayhs then read the tasbih 10 times again.
Go to ruku saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar), after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Ruku.
Saying "Samee Allahu Liman Hamidah Rabbana Lakal Hamdh" get up from ruku to qiyam position.

Now read the tasbih 10 times.

Go to Sajdah saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal A'la" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Sajdah.
Now go after first Sajdah go to Jalsa (sitting position) saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar). Sitting in Jalsa read tasbih 10 times.
Go to sajda again saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal A'la" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Sajdah again.
Get up to begin 2nd rakat saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar).

Do rakah #2 in same fashion, but before reading Bismillah "Bismillah, ", and Surah Fatiha, read the tasbih 15 times. Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat.
After second Sajdah of Second Rakat sit in Qaidah Oola (first sitting) read Attahiyat, Durood and Dua then get up for 3rd rakaat without saying Salam.
Begin third Rakat, just like the first Rakat, with Sana "Subhaana Kallahumma, ", read the above tasbih 15 times. Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat untill you sit for Qaidah Akihra (last sitting) after second sajdah of fourth Rakah.
In Qaidah Akihra Attahiyat, Durood, Dua finish Salah with Salam.

Special notes for Salat-Ul-Tasbih:

1) Do not count loudly. It will break Salah
2) Do not count on fingers or by holding a Bead Tasbih in hand. It is Makruh.
3) You may count by pressing the fingers as a reminder. For example if you are in Ruku. You me press pinky of your right hand first for the first count, then the finger next to it for second count, then the middle finger for third count, following this method untill you reach the pinky of left hand will give you an exact count of ten. Use the same method in Qayam, Sajdah and Jalsa.
4) If missed a count then make it up in the next posture. For example if forgot to recite Tasbih after Surah in Qayam. Then you may recite Tasbish 20 times instead of 10 in Rukuh after "Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem". Missed Tasbih cannot be recited in Qayam after ruku and Jalsa between Sajdah. If you missed the Tasbih in Ruku then recite 20 in the first Sajdah instead of the Qayam after rukuh. Similarly if missed the Tasbih in first Sajdah then do not make it up in Jalsa. Instead recite missed tasbih in the second Sajdah. If Tasbih has been missed in last sajdah of second or fourth Rakah then you can recite the missed ones before Attahiyat in Qaidah.
5) If you miss a wajib in Salah and have to do Sajdah Sahaw. You dont have to recite Tasbih in Sajdah sahoo, since the 300 count has been estalished. But if you had missed Tasbih in any of the postures and remeber it now. Then you may recite the missed Tasbih in Sajdah Sahaw now.
6) It is preferable to recite after Surah Fatiha Sura Takathuur in the first raka’, Surah Wal A’sr in the second raka’, Surah Kaferoon (qul ya aiyuhal Kafiroon) in the third and Surah Akhlas (Qul hu Allah-hu ahd) in the fourth raka’. If one does not remember these surah they can recite the ones they prefer.

May Allah accept this dua’ (supplication) for the sake of the trustworthy PROPHET MOHAMMED (Allah’s Grace & Peace be upon him)

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/Articles/English/Salat_Tasbih.htm

TWO

Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, vol 2, # 33

‘Ikrimah reports from Ibn ‘Abbas that the Messenger of Allah said to ‘Abbas ibn ‘Abdal-Mutalib: “O ‘Abbas, O Uncle, shall I not give you, shall I not present to you, shall I not donate to you, shall I not tell you ten things which, if you do, Allah will forgive your first and last sins, past and present sins, intentional and unintentional sins, private and public sins? The ten actions are: pray four rak’at, reciting in every rak’ah al-Fatihah and a surah. And when you finish the Qur’anic recitation of the first rak’ah, say, while standing, ‘Subhanallah, al-hamdulillah, wa la ilaha illallah, wa Allahu Akbar‘ ['Glory be to Allah. All praise is due to Allah. There is no God except Allah. Allah is the greatest.'] fifteen times. Then make ruku’, and while you are in ruku’, say the same ten times; then stand, and say the same ten times. Then go down and make sajdah, and while you’re in sajdah, say the same ten times. Then sit after the sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then make sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then sit after the second sajdah, and say the same another ten times. That is seventy-five [repetitions of the phrases] in each rak’ah. Do that in each of the four rak’at. If you can pray it once a day, do so. If you cannot, then once every Friday. If you cannot do that, then once a year. And if you cannot do that then once in your life.“

This hadith is related by Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Ibn Khuzaimah in his sahih, and at-Tabarani. About this hadith al-Mundhiri says: “This hadith has been related through many chains and from a number of companions. The best of them is this one from ‘Ikrimah. A group of scholars have graded it to be sahih, including al-Hafez Abu Bakr al-’Ajari, (al-Mundhiri’s teachers), Abu Muhammad ‘Abdurrahim al-Misri, and Abu al-Hassan al-Maqdisi.” Ibn alMubarak says: “The tasbih prayer is a greatly desired act and it is desirable that one should punctually observe it and never neglect it.

http://makkah./2007/01/25/salat-ul-tasbih-praying-for-forgiveness/

Allah knows best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by richpitt(m): 9:28am On Sep 03, 2010
When the Night Equals A Thousand

By Muhammad Al-shareef

It was narrated that in the days that Musa (Peace be upon him) wandered with Bani Israel in the desert an intense drought befell them. Together, they raised their hands towards the heavens praying for the blessed rain to come. Then, to the astonishment of Musa (Peace be upon him) and all those watching, the few scattered clouds that were in the sky vanished, the heat poured down, and the drought intensified.

It was revealed to Musa that there was a sinner amongst the tribe of Bani Israel whom had disobeyed Allah for more than forty years of his life. "Let him separate himself from the congregation,"Allah told Musa (Peace be upon him). "Only then shall I shower you all with rain."

Musa (Peace be upon him) then called out to the throngs of humanity, "There is a person amongst us who has disobeyed Allah for forty years. Let him separate himself from the congregation and only then shall we be rescued from the drought." That man, waited, looking left and right, hoping that someone else would step forward, but no one did. Sweat poured forth from his brow and he knew that he was the one.

The man knew that if he stayed amongst the congregation all would die of thirst and that if he stepped forward he would be humiliated for all eternity.

He raised his hands with a sincerity he had never known before, with a humility he had never tasted, and as tears poured down on both cheeks he said: "O Allah, have mercy on me! O Allah, hide my sins! O Allah, forgive me!"

As Musa (Peace be upon him) and the people of Bani Israel awaited for the sinner to step forward, the clouds hugged the sky and the rain poured. Musa (Peace be upon him) asked Allah "O Allah, you blessed us with rain even though the sinner did not come forward." And Allah replied, "O Musa, it is for the repentance of that very person that I blessed all of Bani Israel with water."

Musa (Peace be upon him),wanting to know who this blessed man was, asked, "Show him to me O Allah!" Allah replied, "O Musa, I hid his sins for forty years, do you think that after his repentance I shall expose him?"

Allah revealed the Quran in the most blessed month; the month of Ramadan, the month in which the Quran was sent down.

On the most blessed night, the Grand night: Laylatul Qadr; "Verily, we revealed the Qur'an on the night of Qadr."

Ibn Jareer narrates, on the authority of Mujahid that there was a man from Bani Israel who used to spend the night in prayer. Then in the morning he would fight the enemy in the Way of Allah during the day, until the evening and he did this for a thousand months.

And so Allah revealed the Surah: "Verily, We sent it down in the night of Al-Qadr" until the verse "The night of Al-Qadr is better than a thousand months" That is, standing in prayer on that night is better than the actions of that man.

Sufyan ath-Thawri reports, on the authority of Mujahid (also), that the night of Al-Qadr being better than a thousand months means that the good deeds performed on it, fasting on it, and standing in prayer on it are better than a thousand months good deeds, prayers and fasting.
[Narrated by Ibn Jareer]

It is reported from Abu Hurairah that he said:

"When the month of Ramadan came, the Messenger of Allah said: 'The month of Ramadan has come, a blessed month in which Allah has made it obligatory for you to fast; in it the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained. In it is a night better than a thousand months, whoever loses the benefit of it has lost something irreplaceable.'"
[Narrated by Imam Ahmad and An-Nasa'i]

It is reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah, that Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) said:

"Whoever stood in prayer on the night of Al-Qadr, in faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, he will have all of his previous sins forgiven."
[Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

This one night surpasses the value of 30,000 nights. The sincere believer who worries day and night about his sins and phases of neglect in his life patiently awaits the onset of Ramadan. During it he hopes to be forgiven by Allah for past sins, knowing that the Prophet (Peace be upon him)promised that all who bear down during the last ten days shall have all their sins forgiven. To achieve this, the believer remembers the Prophet's (Peace be upon him) advice in different sayings wherein he used words like "seek", "pursue", "search" and "look hard" for Laylatul Qadr.

Laylatul Qadr is the most blessed night. A person who misses it has indeed missed a great amount of good. The Mu'min should search for it in the last ten nights of Ramadan, passing the nights in worship and obedience.

For those who catch the opportunity, their gift is that of past sins wiped away.

The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) illustrated for us some of the things we should be doing on this Grand Night. From his blessed Sunnah we find the following:

Praying Qiyam (Night Prayer)

It is recommended to make a long qiyam prayer during the nights on which Laylatul Qadr could fall. This is indicated in many ahadith, such as:

"Whoever stands (in qiyam) in Laylatul Qadr [and it is facilitated for him] out of faith and expectation (of Allah's reward), will have all of his previous sins forgiven."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

the addition "and it is facilitated for him" is recorded by Ahmad from the report of 'Ubadah Bin as-Samit; it means that he is permitted to be among the sincere worshippers during that blessed night.

Making Supplications

It is also recommended to make extensive supplication on this night.

'A'ishah reported that she asked Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) "O Messenger of Allah! If I knew which night is Laylatul Qadr, what should I say during it?" And he instructed her to say: "Allahumma innaka `afuwwun tuhibbul `afwa fa`fu `annee - O Allah! You are forgiving, and you love forgiveness. So forgive me."
[An authentic Hadith recorded by Ahmad, Ibn Majah and at-Tirmidhi.]

Abandoning Worldly Pleasures for Worship

It is further recommended to spend more time in worship during the nights on which Laylatul Qadr is likely to fall. This calls for abandoning many worldly pleasures in order to secure the time and thoughts solely for worshipping Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala).

'A'ishah reported: "When the (last) ten started, the Prophet (Peace be upon him) would tighten his izar (i.e. he stayed away from his wives in order to have more time for worship), spend the whole night awake (in prayer) and wake up his family."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

And she said: "Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) used to exert more (in worship) on the last ten than on other nights."
[Muslim]

Have We Estimated Allah Correctly?

The opportunity of Laylatul Qadr is coming in the next few days. Life is about people that take advantage of their opportunities to win the love of Allah, and this is indeed one of those chances. Abu Dah Daah was one of those who found an opportunity and won that which is greater than the heavens and the earth. An adult companion of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) cultivated his garden next to the property of an orphan. The orphan claimed that a specific palm tree was on his property and thus belonged to him. The companion rejected the claim and off to the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) went the orphan boy to complain. With his justness, the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) measured the two gardens and found that the palm tree did indeed belong to the companion. The orphan erupted crying. Seeing this, the Prophet (Peace be upon him) offered the companion, "would you give him the palm tree and to you is a palm tree in Jannah?" However, the companion in his disbelief that an orphan would complain to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) missed the opportunity and went away angry.

But someone else saw the opportunity, Abu Dah Daah (may Allah be pleased with him) . He went to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) and asked, "Ya Rasul Allah, if I buy the tree from him and give it to the orphan shall I have that tree in Jannah?" The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) replied, "Yes."

Abu Dah Daah chased after the companion and asked, "Would you sell that tree to me for my entire garden?" The companion answered, "Take it for there is no good in a tree that I was complained to the Prophet about."

Immediately, Abu Dah Daah went home and found his wife and children playing in the garden. "Leave the garden!" shouted Abu Dah Daah, "we've sold it to Allah! We've sold it to Allah!" Some of his children had dates in their hand and he snatched the dates from them and threw them back into the garden. "We've sold it to Allah!"

When Abu Dah Daah was later martyred in the battle of Uhud, Rasul Allah (Peace be upon him) stood over his slain body and remarked, "How many shady palm trees does Abu Dah Daah now have in paradise?"

What did Abu Dah Daah lose? Dates? Bushes? Dirt? What did he gain? He gained a Jannah whose expanse is the heavens and the earth.

Abu Dah Daah did not miss his opportunity, and I pray to Allah that we do not miss our opportunity of standing to Allah on Laylatul Qadr.

Dear brothers and sisters, we do not obey, worship and revere Allah in a way befitting of His Majesty.

Allah revealed:

"No just estimate have they made of Allah, such as is due to Him. On the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will be rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He above the partners they attribute to Him."
[Noble Quran 39:67]

Everything that we have belongs to Allah. When someone dies we say, Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un, Indeed to Allah we belong and indeed to Him we shall return. This is not a supplication just for when a soul is lost. It is a supplication for every calamity that befalls a believer, even if his sandal were to tear. Why? Because everything belongs to Allah and everything shall come back to him. Sit and try to count the blessings Allah has bestowed upon you. Have you ever tried to count stars?

"And He give you of all that ye ask for. But if ye count the favors of Allah, never will ye be able to number them. Verily, man is given up to injustice and ingratitude."
[Noble Quran 14:34]

We have not understood the weight of this Quran that we rest on our high shelves, this Noble book that was sent to give life to the dead. For even if our hearts were as solid as rock they would have crumbled to the ground in fear and hope of Allah's punishment and Mercy. Could it be that our hearts are harder than that mountain?

"Had We sent down this Quran on a mountain, verily, thou wouldst have seen it humble itself and split asunder in fear of Allah."
[Noble Quran 59:21]

Dear brothers and sisters, as you fill the Masajid for Qiyamul Layl in the last ten nights of Ramadan, remember what Allah wants you to know:

"Know ye that Allah is strict in punishment and that Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."
[Noble Quran 5:98]

There shall be a night, some night in your life that you shall awaken in Jannah or Hell fire. Anas ibn Malik, on his deathbed, prayed to Allah, "O Allah, protect from a night whose morning brings a journey to hell fire." Think about that morning.

Peace shall descend on Laylatul Qadr until the dawn. It may be that you shall leave the Masjid after Fajr one day soon forgiven by Allah, Glorious and Most High.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by deols(f): 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2010
Salam alykm'

I used to observe this solaat regularly until some1 told m its bid'ah. I stopped waiting to establish the facts.Now am so happy u provided the source which i'll check on. Jazakallahu khayran
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by taosola(m): 12:14pm On Sep 04, 2010
May Allah count us among those that will benefit from this majesty night and answer our prayers.
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Giyaz: 12:29pm On Sep 04, 2010
May we be counted among the blessed ones during this month.
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 04, 2010
May the blessings of the NIGHT OF MAJESTY be upon us all.Ramadan Kareem
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by misterh(m): 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2010
May we be lucky enough to witness this majestic night.
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by bigfather(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2010
As a christian, how do i participate in this prayer session ?
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by akanbiaa(m): 5:51pm On Sep 04, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LAYLAT UL-QADR
Peace Until Fajr
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In each of the daily prayer we offer, we solemnly declare to Allah, “Iyyaka
na’budu” (You alone do we worship). While the intelligent and committed
believer realizes that his very lifestyle spells worship, he knows,
remembering the words of our Prophet (pbuh) that “Du’aa’ (supplication) is
worship” [Tirmidhi, Abu Daud] Allah, the Most Merciful, has encouraged the
believers to take advantage of certain times during the year to make du’aa’.
Such an occasion presents itself annually during Ramadan — especially on the
Lailatul Qadr, the Night of Power. On this night, the single most important
event in human history unfolded as, after the Glorious Quran was preserved in
the Protected Tablet, Jibril descended with the blessed book to reveal it,
upon Allah’s command, to His Messenger (pbuh). Accentuating its significance,
Allah says “and how would you know (the value of the) Night of Qadr [97:2]

"Allah's Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) used to exert more (in
worship) on the last ten than on other nights." [Muslim]

So valuable is this Night of Qadr that the Quran devotes a special surah to
it “Lailatul Qadr is better than a thousand months” [97:3] This one night
surpasses the value of 30,000 nights. The most authentic account of the
occurrence of the Night indicates that it can occur on any one of the last
ten, oddnumbered nights of Ramadan. The fact that the exact night is unknown
reflects Allah’s will in keeping it hidden. Indeed, the Prophet (pbuh) was
prevented from telling us its precise time. One day, he came out to tell the
companions the exact night. On the way he saw two men arguing with each
other. By the will of Allah, he(pbuh)forgot and subsequently remembered it.
Afterwards the Prophet (pbuh) was instructed not to divulge this information.
“Had I been allowed,” he (pbuh) remarked once, “I would have told you (of
its exact time).” [Ahmad] The Almighty in His wisdom kept this hidden from us
for many reasons (wa Allahu 'Alam). Perhaps He wants us to strive hard in our
worship during the last ten days of Ramadan so that we don’t become lazy,
worshipping hard on just that one night and denying ourselves the benefit of
doing the same on the other nights. “Had people not left their salah except
for that (one) night, I would have informed you (of its exact date).”
[Al-Tabarani] The sincere believer who worries day and night about his sins
and phases of neglect in his life patiently awaits the onset of Ramadan.
During it he hopes to be forgiven by Allah for past sins, knowing that the
Prophet (pbuh) promised that all who bear down during the last ten days shall
have all their sins forgiven. To achieve this, he remembers the Prophet’s
(pbuh) advice in different
sayings wherein he used words like “seek”, “pursue”, “search”, and “look
hard” for Lailatul Qadr (see tomorrows Post). Moreover, Allah and His
Prophet (pbuh) provided us some signs of its occurrence.

Allah (swt) describes the night as “, peace until the rise of the morn.”
[97:5] In various sayings, the Prophet (pbuh) described the night as serene,
tranquil, and peaceful. The sun at sunrise would appear reddish and without
its normal blazing and sharp rays. Ubayy (R) said : "On the morning of the
night of Qadr the sun would rise without any beams; (it is like) a wash basin
until it raises." [Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (R) said : "We mentioned the night of Qadr to the Messenger of
Allaah (S) and he said: "Which of you remembers when the moon rises and it is
like half a bowl." [Muslim]

Ibn Abbaas (R) said that the Messenger of Allaah (S) said : "The night of
Qadr is a night of generosity and happiness, it is not hot and neither is it
cold. The sun comes up in its morning weak, reddish." [Tabaranee, Ibn
Khuzaimah and Bazzaar]

The Prophet (pbuh) added that “the angel of earth on that night of Qadr will
be more numerous than all the pebbles of the earth.”

What should one do during the last ten days in pursuit of Lailatul Qadr? The
devoted servant of Allah makes these nights alive with prayer, reading and
reflecting on Quran. The long qiyaam prayer has been particularly recommended
during the nights on which Laylat ul-Qadr could fall. This is indicated in
many hadeeths, such as the following:

Abu Tharr (radhiallahu `anhu) relates: "We fasted with Allah's Messenger
(sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) in Ramadaan. He did not lead us (in qiyaam) at
all until there were seven (nights of Ramadaan) left. Then he stood with us
(that night - in prayer) until one third of the night had passed. He did not
pray with us on the sixth. On the fifth night, he prayed with us until half
of the night had passed. So we said, 'Allah's
Messenger! Wouldn't you pray with us the whole night?' He replied:

'Whoever stands in prayer with the imaam until he (the imaam) concludes the
prayer, it is recorded for him that he prayed the whole night.'…" [Recorded
by Ibn Abi
Shaybah, Abu Dawud, at-Tirmithi (who authenticated it), an-Nasa'i, Ibn Majah,
at-Tahawi (in Sharhu Ma`an il-Athar, Ibn Nasr, al-Faryabi, and al-Bayhaqi.
Their isnad is authentic.]

Abu Dawud mentioned: "I heard Ahmad being asked, 'Do you like for a man to
pray with the people or by himself during Ramadan?' He replied, 'Pray with
the people' I also heard him say, 'I would prefer for one to pray (qiyaam)
with the imaam and to pray witr with him as well, for the Prophet (sallallahu
`alayhi wa sallam) said: "When a man prays with the imaam until he
concludes,
it is recorded that he prayed the rest of that night." [Masaa'il]]

Abu Hurayrah (radhiallahu `anhu) narrated that the Messenger (sallallahu
`alayhi wa sallam) said: "Whoever stands (in qiyaam) in Laylat ul-Qadr [and
it is facilitated for him] out of faith and expectation (of Allah's reward),
will have all of his previous sins forgiven." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim; the
addition "and it is facilitated for him" is recorded by Ahmad from the report
of `Ubaadah Bin as-Samit; it means that he is permitted to be among the
sincere worshippers during that blessed night.

He makes du’aa’ to Allah, penitently beseeching Him for His forgiveness. He
is inspired by the Prophet’s (pbuh) words “Our Lord, most Exalted, Most high
comes down to the lowest heaven during the last third of each night and
announces (reassuringly): Whoever makes du’aa’, I shall answer it. Whoever
asks (for something halal) I shall grant it; and whoever seeks forgiveness, I
shall forgive him.” [Bukhari] The believer, conscious of Allah and their
sins, will continue to beseech Allah, in and out of prayer, during his
prostration.

`A'ishah (radhiallahu `anha) reported that she asked Allah's Messenger
(sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), "O Messenger of Allah! If I knew which night
is Laylat ul-Qadr, what should I say during it?" And he instructed her to say:

"Allahumma innaka `afuwwun tuh.ibbul `afwa fa`fu `annee - O Allah! You are
forgiving, and youlove forgiveness. So forgive me." [Recorded by Ahmad, Ibn
Majah, and at-Tirmithi]

Aa'isha (R) said: "When the (last) ten started, the Prophet (sallallahu
`alayhi wa sallam) would tighten his izaar (i.e. he stayed away from his
wives in order to have more time for worship), spend the whole night awake
(in prayer), and wake up his family." [Bukhaaree and Muslim] For a time, the
only concern will be cleansing oneself of the forgetfulness that this life
propagates in one’s heart, the sins that accumulate, darkening the heart,
making it insensitive to disobeying Allah. He begs Allah to keep him away
from misfortunes in this world, the punishment of the grave, and the torment
of Hell. He asks Allah to make him patient and steadfast in struggling to
maintain his Islam in this world and asks Him to overlook his shortcomings,
periods of laziness and neglect. Sincere devotion on that night
will render the believer forgtful of the time, until he is surprised by the
Adhan of Fajr. After Fajr, as the sun creeps above the horizon, reddish and
weak in its appearance, without any rays, the effort at night will have been
worthwhile. The believer rejoices, knowing that this was quite possibly
Lailatul Qadr and “whoever stays up (in prayer and remembrance of Allah) on
the Night of Qadr fully believing (in Allah’s promise of reward for that
night) and hoping to seek reward (from Allah alone and not from people), he
shall be forgiven for his past sins.” [Bukhari, Muslim]

It is narrated from Aa'isha (R) that she said: "I said: 'O Messenger of
Allaah, if I know what night is the Night of Qadr what should I say?." He
said: "Say: O Allaah you are pardoning and you love to pardon so pardon me. "
[Ahmad,Ibn Majah,Tirmidhee]

It is also the Night when all ordainments for the year are decreed. Allah (T)
said, which means:

{By the manifest Book (the Quraan) that makes thing clear. We sent it (this
Quraan) down on a Blessed Night (i.e. the Night of Qadr) in the month of
Ramadaan. Verily We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torments will reach
those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of
Wordship]. Therein (that night) is decreed every matter (amran) of
ordainment} [The Smoke 44:2-5]

source:http://islamworld.net/docs/LAYLAT_UL_QADR.html
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Saheed9: 6:50pm On Sep 04, 2010
To add 2 all what av been said about lailatul qadr. The morning afta dat nite there would be an unusual sunrise at 6.30- 7.00am to show dat d nite has just passed
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Remii(m): 7:05pm On Sep 04, 2010
Saheed9:

To add 2 all what av been said about lailatul qadr. The morning afta dat nite there would be an unusual sunrise at 6.30- 7.00am to show dat d nite has just passed

please give evidence to support that statement. Rasulllah did not say anything about how to know the night or the day after apart from saying that looking for it in odd days that is 21 23 25 27 and 29th night of Ramadan
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by tolu001: 7:40pm On Sep 04, 2010
@babs787 May Almighty Allah reward you abundantly for that post, it's very informative and educative. And may Allah make it easy for us and accept it as acts of Ibadaah from us

Ameen
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Ajengogo(m): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2010
@Babs May Allah mak the path to Aljannatal firdaus easy for you for sharing this all-important knowledge with the muslim ummah
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by abu3(m): 10:59pm On Sep 04, 2010
we are enjoined to chant this dua' often during these (last 10) days as follows:

" ALLAHUMMA INAKA AFUHU KAREEMU TUIBUL AFUWA FAFU ANNI"

may GOD (S.W.T) accept our dua'

AMEEN!!!
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by anishe(m): 11:41pm On Sep 04, 2010
This has been a very interesting topic. Alhamdulilahi.

May Allah (swt) blessed us with the witnessing of the night.

Ameen
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Jibson999(m): 5:17am On Sep 05, 2010
Assalamu alaikum my fellow muslim faithfuls. Pls i'm kind off confused on this date thing due to the calendar, so if i may ask what day is today? I mean 2, What
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by amliyu: 11:12am On Sep 05, 2010
To Big Father,
A few thoughts about how you can pertake and someone can add to that pls
[list]
(1) Avoid what you kow is not right/good or any sinful acts. Reflect your past and seek for forgiveness
(2) Increase your efforts towards good deeds to all around you eg charity and charitable acts.
(3) Pray to your God to guide you towards the right path and be sincere at this.
(4) You can pertake in the fast from dusk to dawn.
(5) Pray for yourself, your family, community, country and humanity as a whole. You can do this in any language and at any place.
(6) -----
(7)------
(cool------

Thanks and Good luck to all of us
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by usbcable(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2010
Jibson999:

Assalamu alaikum my fellow muslim faithfuls. Pls i'm kind off confused on this date thing due to the calendar, so if i may ask what day is today? I mean 2, What
the islamic date is 26th of Ramadan
but todays evening starting from dusk(around 7pm) marks the entrance of the 27th day of Ramadan.
this is so because the islamic date starts from the night to day unlike the gregorian calendar which is day to night.
so today which is the 5th of September has its afternoon as the 26th of Ramadan and its night as the 27th of Ramadan.
I hope all I said makes sense to you.
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by azharuddin: 8:15am On Sep 06, 2010
Remii:

please give evidence to support that statement. Rasulllah did not say anything about how to know the night or the day after apart from saying that looking for it in odd days that is 21 23 25 27 and 29th night of Ramadan

Brother please be VERY CAREFUL while declaring that our Prophet Mohammed Rusulullah (sallallahu allaihi wasallam) did/did not say a statement.

Zirr b. Habaish reported: I asked Ubayy b. Ka'b (Allah be pleased with him):
Your brother (in faith) Ibn Mas'ud says" He who stands (for the night prayer) throughout the year would find Lailat-ul-Qadr", whereupon he said: May Allah have mercy upon him; (he said these words) with the intention that people might not rely only (on one night), whereas he knew that it (Lailat-ul-Qadr) is in the month of Ramadan and it is the twenty-seventh night. He then took oath (without making any exception, i.e. without saying Insha Allah) that it was the twenty-seventh night. I said to him: Abu Mundhir, on what ground do you say that? Thereupon he said: By the indication or by the sign which the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) gave us, and that is that on that day (the sun) would rise without having any ray in it.

Book 006, Hadith Number 2633.Sahih Muslim

See what just happened. Just because we havent heard of something does not mean it doesnt exist.

May Allah save us from making such mistakes while making statements about Islam.
Ameen !
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by ToyosiR(f): 9:13am On Sep 06, 2010
Salam Alaykum,
Barka Ramadan to all.
This post have been so educating and helpful.

Jazaakum ullahu Khairan to the poster and to all contributors.
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Saheed9: 9:28am On Sep 06, 2010
azharuddin:

Brother please be VERY CAREFUL while declaring that our Prophet Mohammed Rusulullah (sallallahu allaihi wasallam) did/did not say a statement.

Zirr b. Habaish reported: I asked Ubayy b. Ka'b (Allah be pleased with him):
Your brother (in faith) Ibn Mas'ud says" He who stands (for the night prayer) throughout the year would find Lailat-ul-Qadr", whereupon he said: May Allah have mercy upon him; (he said these words) with the intention that people might not rely only (on one night), whereas he knew that it (Lailat-ul-Qadr) is in the month of Ramadan and it is the twenty-seventh night. He then took oath (without making any exception, i.e. without saying Insha Allah) that it was the twenty-seventh night. I said to him: Abu Mundhir, on what ground do you say that? Thereupon he said: By the indication or by the sign which the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) gave us, and that is that on that day (the sun) would rise without having any ray in it.

Book 006, Hadith Number 2633.Sahih Muslim [b]See what just happened. Just because we havent heard of something does not mean it doesnt exist. Gazakhallu khairan azahudin i was just about replying remi's post when i saw ur very informative post. i just want to tell remi that when hearing somtn for d 1st time he shuld ask in a more polite way nd then u will av ur reply. Dats just somtn about islam d more u seek knowledge then u have it. I myself witnessed the rayless sunlight 27th last yr. But there is notn of such dis 27 den maybe lets wait for 29. Remii pls reply

May Allah save us from making such mistakes while making statements about Islam.
Ameen !
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by haboosa(m): 10:09am On Sep 06, 2010
Remii:

@ Remii , the night of majesty falls in the odd nights not the odd days. When sawm is 20 the night is 21 and when the day is 21 the night will be 22 , -.--, so while you are searching for the night of majesty you search after every even day. This implies that when you break the fast for 20, 22,24,26,28. this is because night precedes day, even from the holy Qu'ran( Allah is use to mentioning night before day), so Sir that is just my submission
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by SABalogun: 11:09am On Sep 06, 2010
Good job bro, thank you for the message. Jazakumulahi Khairan
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by mukina2: 11:50am On Sep 06, 2010
We had ours last nite.

it was great Alhamdulilah, recitations of the Holy Quran, preachings, prayers. I pray that Allah accept our prayers and May Allah forgive us and grant us a sense of humility and humanity.

Amin
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by Ak4ril(m): 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2010
Thanks for this great information, May Allah reward us abundantly. AMIN
Re: Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadri) by HamidO1(m): 2:19pm On Sep 06, 2010
[size=15pt][/size] MAY ALLAH MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO WITNESS THIS NIT N UTILIZE IT WELL, Avoid too much sleep n pray hard

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zakat Calculation / If A Husband Refuses To Spend On His Wife, Is It Right To Sexually Refuse Him? / Jumaat Sermon: Avoid Broken Home At All Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.