Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

The Other Side Of Life In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Other Side Of Life In Canada (9323 Views)

My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ / Life In The Usa As A Student. / How Convenient Is Student Life In Austria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Other Side Of Life In Canada by landis(m): 4:06pm On Sep 16, 2008
The Africans who work here do not take weekends off. Montreal, where they have left wives and children behind, is not a weekend destination. Driving there takes almost seven hours.

-

Raymond Bertrand Neabo, 28, worked for a French bank in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, after graduating from university there. After moving to Canada in 2006, he found that prospective employers deemed his business administration degree useless. So he started a second degree from scratch.

-

After moving to Montreal, Thomas Shase, a 25-year-old Nigerian, first started working in telemarketing, phoning resentful people who sometimes told him to "go back to Africa".

He then heard about the forestry job. "It's hard, my brother, but it's better than Montreal," he said. "The forest is peaceful. You get to think. But the best part is the money."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7600245.stm
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by kaysie83: 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2008
So what are u trying to say
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by blackspade(m): 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2008
Canada is one of the easiest countries in the world to immigrate to, along with Australia. These countries are in an extreme shortage of workers, and the governments are really open towards immigrants. Australia can be a bit tricky though, they sometimes discriminate against immigrants coming from African nations, but Canada is for sure open to ALL.
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by blonde1(f): 10:35am On Sep 17, 2008
blackspade:

Canada is one of the easiest countries in the world to immigrate to, along with Australia. These countries are in an extreme shortage of workers, and the governments are really open towards immigrants. Australia can be a bit tricky though, they sometimes discriminate against immigrants coming from African nations, but Canada is for sure open to ALL.

True as far as the immigration paperwork is concerned (if you fulfill the requirements) but once you get there, reality can look like in that BBC article. Employers in these countries do not believe in the quality of African degrees/work experience, they also sometimes don't believe the candidate is telling the truth and it is difficult for them to verify. So you have overqualified immigrants doing jobs like logging and cab driving. Actually, when I was looking on the Internet for opinions about different countries, the countries recruiting skilled migrants had the most stories of disappointment about them. It's probably because people go there with high expectations - shortage of workers, they let you in because they need you, so you're sure that employers will be fighting over you and trying to outbid each other to hire you, and then it doesn't happen. There's even a website notcanada.com, somebody posted a link here a while ago.
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 18, 2008
'
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by landis(m): 5:09pm On Sep 18, 2008
My point; dont expect paradise anywhere.

Once you cross that line; you dont belong to Nigeria, you dont belong to abroad and yet your mate in naija have moved on.

when they come abroad for holiday, you hide your job or yourself from them.
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by Tats(m): 10:29pm On Sep 18, 2008
I don't live in Canada and cannot verify any claim. However, this website says it all. Definitely, Britain, U.S.A and Australia are more welcoming to immigrants in the job market.

http://www.notcanada.com/

1 Like

Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by igbogolo: 11:22pm On Sep 18, 2008
www.notcanada.com brings an unbiased detail about Canadian immigration and is a reference website to anyone who wants to immigrate to Canada. Of late many people are leaving Canada for other places. Thanks tat for bringing this website to public dormain
Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by depapa06(m): 10:22pm On Sep 22, 2008
My brothers & sisters

May Almighty God directs our steps.Forget about all the details in 'notcanada.com'.Everyone has a particular and peculiar location/place/company or whatever to stay and shine.

Anything short of this,the fellow may not shine at all.Some immigrants are actually making it out there.For instance,everybody knows medicine is a good profession.Do all doctors make it big?No.In Nigeria here,some pepper sellers or pretty traders command wealth that a graduate could not.

It is all about destiny.Let seek God face for divine direction before we rush out of Nigeria.Going abroad is not a guarantee to success.Though live outside there is better vis a vis.

3 Likes

Re: The Other Side Of Life In Canada by igbogolo: 2:16pm On Sep 24, 2008
@d papa06
I think its a bit presumptious for you to suggest we all forget whats written in Notcanada.com
I know a lot of people are blinded by their assumption of heaven in Canada.
Not canada .com presents a radically different version of canada which I think prople should access before taking off.
Every stride we take in life is just for the bottom line- economics. Im indeed glad that you mentioned that ''going abroad is not the best option''.

The best bet is to remain focused. its always good for one to hold tenaciously to his dreams before going out to ''hussle'' otherwise such collosial waste of funds(tickets and co) would amount to nothing in the long run.

(1) (Reply)

Protesting Arik Air Workers Shut Down Lagos Operations / E-Ticketing: NRC Shortlists 5 Firms To Bid For Lagos-Ibadan, Warri-Itakpe Lines / France Cancels Transit Visa For Nigerian Passengers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.