Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,265 members, 7,815,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? (1267 Views)

How Does It Feel Getting Banned / How Do You Feel Being... ??(pls Drop Ur Condolences) / White Supremacist Told He Is 14% African In Televised DNA Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 6:03pm On Jul 10, 2006
where i live, its not that bad because there are alot of foreigners such as africans and spanish people, but yet people are so ignorant when it comes to africans.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by soulpatrol(f): 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2006
ah, im a nigerian student living in the eastern part of canada (the maritimes), and its horrible horrible horrible, the people here find it hard to relate to outsiders, i think theyre just igrorant. thyre nice people though, but i continuosly have to deal with people asking me all kinds of silly questions about africa as if it is one big village that all blacks live in, im just sick of it!
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 7:00pm On Jul 10, 2006
they act like all we do is go huntin naked. i've never met one african in my life time that said they've been hunting or that they've seen people actually going out with a bow and arrow.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by shawna(f): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2006
yeah i know what u girls talkin about some of the kids at my school think i run around playing with lions,elephants and what not an am like u ppl got to be kidding me it gets really annoying sometimes
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by diddy4(m): 8:48pm On Jul 10, 2006
you girls need to see me tell them stories. since they are ignorant, use it as an advantage. tell them yes, u play with lions and u even sleep with anacondas and bath with the elephants. that u have tigers as pets and monkeys as maid. that you have hynahs as domestic animals.

if u see me tell story ehh, u will baffle. i even tell it with pride.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2006
you funny
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by diddy4(m): 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2006
you said u were bored so let me entertain u a lil bit.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by ikamefa(f): 3:08am On Jul 11, 2006
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by Eurphoria(f): 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2006
lol diddy you nutter. grin

I have not experienced this , but my manager told me of when she was in South carolina working, she had to go to Nigeria to get married, a lady at the office asked when she got back how the wedding went and she went on and on and just said of hand '' wow i bet it was a nice party, with you all dancing round the fire''. she said she was taken aback but then replied'' yes it was a huge couldron and we had a captured local tribesman for starters''
Needless to say , the lady's face was picture and when the penny dropped they both laughed. I wonder if she took it seriously though. Lived in London all my life and have not had such experiences, trust me if anyone had come out with such comments in Brixton back then, they would have had their heads kicked in.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by soulpatrol(f): 7:32pm On Jul 11, 2006
@Eurphoria, lol grin grin grin grin. Dancing round the fire indeed. are these people retarded? they just assume that we are cave people. na the fault of CNN and them. portraying us in a bad light and all. i think its funnier when you tell them exactly what they want to hear and see the stupid looks on their faces, you know, kinda indulge them small. grin grin grin grin
its like no matter how well learned we are or how decent we present ourselves, its hard for them to believe that we are smart too if not smarter. hiss!!!!! they better wake up!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2006
na the fault of CNN and them. portraying us in a bad light and all.

that was funny and true. all this nature shows and what not protray as differently when we know damn well its not like that. i think tv shows and people should ask a african themselve how life is. they shouldn't have to assume for themselves and just make up any story.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by eveseh(f): 5:29am On Jul 12, 2006
i love this thread kiss

@topic, let me start good,lol

where i live with my sisters is damn sad there
we are da only african around there
and am da only black in my school again
as for my sister it doesnt matta for them abit because dey are light skinny dan me

for me where i live da people dey don't like black that much
dey always pick on me to school
i was having one white friend there i thought she was my friend
but she wasnt she made me ran away from boys,i cut her wit my Ex boyfriend
since that time i havnt got no friends in school and up to now,maybe this year because i changed school
but sometimes,i go around african people me and my sisters,we go to amsterdam like that or the near by town,

where i live is very horrible,maybe dey'll changed?
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by iice(f): 5:39am On Jul 12, 2006
Hmmmm, i get stupid questions all the time ex. ppl ask when u wake up do u c lions roaming aboutrolling on da floor freaking laughinlike we live in the jungle or savannah or something, so sometimes i just name a country they have never heard up that shuts them up real fast lol, Hmmmm i was the only black girl in ma school once but that's changed now, hmmm i dont take crap oh, if this ppl dare disrecpect me, i give a good wallop and real good dress down that they'd be afraid 2 try that again, but recently i've mellowed, i jst basically ignore them when they start with the snide remarks
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by Eurphoria(f): 5:43am On Jul 12, 2006
@eveseh

sorry to hear that, are you ok now? i mean how are you coping in your neighbourhood. I thought Holland was cool generally, i guess some parts are not so nice, wow being the only black in yor school that must have been hard for you. Are your sisters mixed race? Sorry the reason i ask all these questions is because you touched me with what you wrote , even brought tears to my eyes. Damn maybe its my period  smiley i get like this when i come on, ooopss too much information? wink
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by eveseh(f): 5:48am On Jul 12, 2006
Eurphoria:

@eveseh

sorry to hear that, are you ok now? i mean how are you coping in your neighbourhood. I thought Holland was cool generally, i guess some parts are not so nice, wow being the only black in yor school that must have been hard for you. Are your sisters mixed race? Sorry the reason i ask all these questions is because you touched me with what you wrote , even brought tears to my eyes. Damn maybe its my period  smiley i get like this when i come on, ooopss too much information? wink

LOL,u making me laugh my @$$ out here,lol
u funny,
well yea it was hard i just left that school this year ma going to another school
and am so damn happy,now i can meet many blacks to make friennds wit,
yea my sisters are mix,light skinny
some holland people are damn jealous and selfish,Gosh i hate dem ooooo

lol u u funny
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by soulpatrol(f): 1:55pm On Jul 12, 2006
i totally know what you guys are going through. where i live theres just a handful of africans and it can be lonely at times because sometimes you just want to chill out and keep it real with your people. you know, like speak your language without a care, its even harder when the people cant relate to you because ure different and all you want to do is make friends.

i think we africans are brave for living in foreign countries and trying to adjust with little or no families around us. hmm, i think those people should try it and see what it feels like. they should leave their families and live among foreign people,  tongue tongue tongue tongue thats if they survive it. we are blessed in being able to cope with changes and discrimination around us. sometimes i wonder how we can still remain sane with all the nonsense we have to go through from non-africans and other people everyday. God dey sha.  smiley smiley smiley smiley

keep your head up people!!! cool cool cool cool
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2006
like me, i no care wetin dem people wan sey, i just that it annoys me when other black people, especially dem stupid jamaicans(no offense to anyone. we just happen to have alot of them in my area, for some odd reason) act so ignorant. behavior like that is what i expect from white and spanish because they don't know. but to hear it from black people, its like, youre african too because your ancestors are african. black people i let them slide, just a little bit, because they too can get confused at time. but to me, i think that jamaicans are more ignorant when they look closer to afraicans then the black americans. i mean come on, lets see, they speak broken, like africans, they eat food that came from africa, but yet they claim that they are not black. everytime i tell them that they are black. they tell me, no i'm not black, i'm jamaican. youre not even black because you are african. that kind of responds is so stupid. but, wetin can i sey.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by soulpatrol(f): 2:39pm On Jul 12, 2006
true talk. where do they think they came from then? them jamaicans. the sky? they better recognize o, cant deny their heritage
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2006
true talk. where do they think they came from then? them jamaicans. the sky? they better recognize o, can't deny their heritage

damn right
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by retro(f): 2:54pm On Jul 12, 2006
I'm not the only Black person where I live. Actually, it's made up of Whites, Blacks and Mixed races.
I've never experienced racism because my school is mixed:

70 % Muslims (Arabs, Turks --- )
15% Blacks
14 % White
1 % Other (Hispanics, Asians --- )

Eve, I'm so sorry. I wish I was in Holland with you.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by eveseh(f): 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2006
@retro,yea me too,anyway it's OK kiss grin
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by naijadiva2(f): 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2006
I've never experienced racism because my school is mixed:

70 % Muslims (Arabs, Turks --- )
15% Blacks
14 % White
1 % Other (Hispanics, Asians --- )

nice break down. even i don't know my school percentage.

all i know is that little over 60% of the school is black and the rest is just mainly spanish, and like 7 asians 20 whites.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by retro(f): 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2006
naija_diva:

nice break down. even i don't know my school percentage.

all i know is that little over 60% of the school is black and the rest is just mainly spanish, and like 7 asians 20 whites.

It's just an estimation but I'm sure I'm almost accurate. Racism in my school is towards the Whites because they're in the minority. But the racism where I live in is towards the Arabs. The day I saw an Arab at my bus stop, I almost fainted, everyone was looking at her.
It's like racism in America towards blacks, centuries ago.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by Idekeson(m): 3:48am On Jul 14, 2006
It's so good to live in the greatest city in the world. There so many Naija people around that there is an indigenous association for every Naija state. There is a Naija event, not to talk of an African event, happening somewhere every weekend. I have a choice of egusi or okro soup with goat meat for dinner, at one of the many African restaurants around. Or I might just decide to have some goat-head and a bottle of gulder (yes, gulder from Naija).
It feels so good living the life of a Naijaman in this confluence of the universe.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by iice(f): 1:37pm On Jul 17, 2006
And where is this greatest city?
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by Idekeson(m): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2006
iice:

And where is this greatest city?

Lat/Long. 420 degrees 67' N, 73 degrees 80' W.
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by ikamefa(f): 4:13pm On Jul 17, 2006
Idekeson:

omo dis na geography oh , any geography major in da house?
Re: How Does It Feel Being An African In Your Area? by iice(f): 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2006
Idekeson:

Na wow oh, geography, make i check lol, il get back 2 u

(1) (Reply)

Celtel's New Method Of Browsing. / Land Rover Lr3 For Sale At A Reasonable Price. / Obama's Mouth Stitched 12 Times After Accident: What We Can Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.