Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G (1430 Views)

Factory Unlock Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5c And 5S On Verizon, ATT, T-mobile / Official Iphone Unlocking Service (Iphone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5, Ipad) All Network / Iphone 3g S - Can This Phone Be Unlocked In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by dragnet: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2008
Later on today T-Mobile and Google will announce the first smartphone based on the Android platform. However images and some of the specs of the device already leaked. Have a look-see of those, while we wait for the real deal.
The T-Mobile G1 is definitely not among the most nice looking handset out there - the design could have benefited from some additional time on the drawing board. Nevertheless, the first Android handset sports a cool looking specs sheet and it's the OS that attracts the attention. Gizmodo seem to have a nice list of the 10 most interesting upcoming Android apps - be sure to check those.
As TmoNews reports, the T-Mobile G1 will have a 65K color HVGA screen (480 x 320 pixels), which the same resolution as the iPhone. Touchscreen it is, too - but the G1 will also have a trackball below the display. The G1 will measure the same height as the iPhone, only a bit less wide and slightly thicker.
G1

Iphone

The T-Mobile G1 will also have a 3 megapixel camera, but unfortunately there's no video recording. The iPhone is clear evidence that manufacturers can get away with that. Bluetooth functionality will be initially rather limited - only headset connectivity - but full support will come later on. Sound all too familiar again.
Other than that, you can expect all the other usual high-end stuff such as GPS, Wi-Fi, and 3G.

That's it for now, stay tuned for more information. The official presentation is due to start in 10:30 AM EST or 16:30 CET.

PS:: Its only for those interested
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by Mustay(m): 4:35pm On Sep 23, 2008
GSM ARENA grin

I do not think I can cope with its limitations - video recording!!!
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by just2nice(m): 5:01pm On Sep 23, 2008
Wha is Android?Is it a phone operating system just like Symbian OS?
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by dragnet: 5:21pm On Sep 23, 2008
Mustay, yup thats the source wink

Just2nice, yup
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2008
Yup at you too grin
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by texazzpete(m): 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2008
No one should be asking what Android is at this stage.

get your noses out of Nokia's arse and breathe the air of freedom.

Watch Android eclipse Symbian in 2009.
Mustay:

GSM ARENA grin

I do not think I can cope with its limitations - video recording!!!

it's the first android phone. there will be other, far better devices out this year.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by femzy(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2008
The first in product in a line of series usually don't do well.Imagine she excludes the video recording feature.I don't think she will do well in the market.Of course people would rather not buy what they don't need.Maybe pricing might help her.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by texazzpete(m): 7:16am On Sep 24, 2008
femzy:

The first in product in a line of series usually don't do well.Imagine she excludes the video recording feature.I don't think she will do well in the market.Of course people would rather not buy what they don't need.Maybe pricing might help her.

The Android OS is pioneered by Google. Do you really think Google has any problems advertising one of their flagship products?

THis will sell decently, i suspect.
Not everyone needs video recording. and i strongly suspect that video recording can be added via software update. The hardware's already there.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by femzy(m): 7:30am On Sep 24, 2008
texazzpete:

The Android OS is pioneered by Google. Do you really think Google has any problems advertising one of their flagship products?

THis will sell decently, i suspect.
Not everyone needs video recording. and i strongly suspect that video recording can be added via software update. The hardware's already there.

of course it will sell but i am speaking generally.This a mobile that poses no probs to the Blackberry;not even to talk about the Apple iphone.
Lets see how it goes anyway.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by logica(m): 8:47am On Sep 24, 2008
reminds me of the side-kick too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080923/ap_on_hi_te/tec_google_phone

I'm not impressed with the UI. reminds me too much of the clunky Palm OS.

txpete, please check ur email.

Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by texazzpete(m): 9:39am On Sep 24, 2008
femzy:

of course it will sell but i am speaking generally.This a mobile that poses no probs to the Blackberry;not even to talk about the Apple iphone.
Lets see how it goes anyway.

This phone is not the revolution. The OS (Android) is. The phone doesn't have to sell that well, there will be hundreds of phones running android in the near future. Good phones, smart phones, crappy phones. . .

And since Android is open source, i'm pretty sure even China phones will trend to Android sooner or later. That's a thought!

1 Like

Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by Mustay(m): 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2008
Engineers from Google and High Tech Computer (HTC) spent three years developing Android software and handsets before the launch of the G1 by T-Mobile on Tuesday, an executive from HTC said.

Executives from both companies started talking about a collaboration as long as five years ago, but those discussions didn’t turn into anything substantial until later, said John Wang, chief marketing officer of HTC, in an interview early Wednesday in Taipei.

“Google makes software. They needed a hardware partner,” he said. HTC engineers remain at work in Google offices today.

The companies showed off the results of their work on Tuesday in New York City, with top executives from Google, HTC and T-Mobile present.

The G1 handset, with a touchscreen dominating most of its face, will first be available in the U.S. on Oct. 22 for US$179 with a two-year voice and data service contract.

The key to the new handset is the Android software, an open source OS and loads of applications that are already available. The mobile phones and software are designed to work with a lot of current Google services, including Google Maps and Google Maps Street View, as well as YouTube.

HTC believes working with Google on the Android project gives it a big advantage over other mobile phone makers.

Handset builders Motorola, Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics are all currently listed as members of the Open Handset Alliance, the group of corporate supporters Google formed around Android. The companies are believed to be at work designing Android-based handsets but none of them have announced anything yet.

HTC plans to make more of the handsets.

“This will not be our last Android phone,” said Wang. “This is just the beginning.”

He declined to comment specifically on whether new Android-based handsets were already in the works from HTC.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by lepashandi: 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2008
This is a Nigerian forum. No Tmobile is Nigeria, headless chicken.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by logica(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2008
lepashandi, what exactly is ur point? many phones we use in nigeria are not made for the country, including the iphone which he compared to this new HTC phone, yet they work.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by texazzpete(m): 4:58pm On Sep 25, 2008
lepashandi:

This is a Nigerian forum. No Tmobile is Nigeria, headless chicken.

unintelligent troll.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by nazzyon(m): 9:33pm On Sep 25, 2008
Below are recent info's I can lay my hands on.

Google Android Gphone mobile OS
http://www.cnet.com/google-android/?tag=nl.e723

T-Mobile G1 vs Apple iPhone 3G
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10049397-1.html?tag=nl.e723

I will dig into Google archives whenever I can to share more info on developing apps for Android.

NOTE: Android does not only work on phone it can work on some other devices.

You can install it on a computer but you will have it as a Cellphone Emulator.

To get details just Google for it and you will get what you need online.

There are alot of servy's who are out there and blogged about how and what to do.

If you've installed emulators of games in the past you will find it easier.
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by dragnet: 9:13am On Sep 26, 2008
Quote from nazzyon: Yesterday at 09:33:06 PM

EXPANDED

T-Mobile G1 Vs. Apple iPhone 3G

Dimensions= 4.60 inches x 2.16inches x 0.62 inch <<>>
5.5 inches x 2.4 inches x 0.48 inch
Screen size= 3.2 inch <<>>
3.5 inch
Navigation= Touch screen, QWERTY keyboard, trackball and navigation keys. No multitouch-gesture support. <<>>
Touch screen, Home button. Multitouch-gesture support.
Camera= 3.2 megapixels, no video recording <<>>
2.0 megapixels, no video recording
Connectivity= Quad-band GSM, dual-band UMTS, Wi-Fi. Bluetooth-headset profile is supported, but no stereo Bluetooth, no tethering. <<>>
Quad-band GSM, tri-band UMTS/HSDPA, Wi-Fi. Bluetooth-headset profile is supported, but no stereo Bluetooth, no tethering.
Accelerometer= Yes <<>> Yes
GPS= Yes <<>> Yes
Maps= Google Maps with Satellite View, Traffic, and Street View. Also has a compass mode that orients the screen as you move. <<>>
Google Maps with Satellite View and Traffic. No Street View
Memory= MicroSD-card slot expandable up to 8GB, with MicroSDHC-card support. Comes with a 1GB card preloaded <<>>
8GB or 16GB, no expansion slot
E-mail=
Push Gmail, POP3, IMAP, no Exchange <<>>
POP3, IMAP, Exchange support
Syncing=
Over-the-air synchronization <<>>
Desktop synchronization, with over-the-air sync for certain cloud-based applications like Web mail and online calendars.
Visual Voicemail=
Don't know yet, presumably no <<>>
Yes
Music Store= Amazon MP3 Store <<>>
iTunes Store
Application Store= Android Market. The SDK is open source and applications don't need to be vetted for approval. <<>>
iTunes Application Store. Applications need to be approved by Apple to appear in the store.
Multimedia Messaging=
Yes <<>> No
Copy and Paste=
Yes <<>> No
Voice dial=
Yes <<>> No
3.5mm headset jack=
No <<>> Yes
Removable battery=
Yes <<>> No
Price= $179 with two-year service agreement <<>>
$199 with two-year service agreement for 8GB, $299 with two-year service agreement for 16GB
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by dragnet: 10:40am On Jul 21, 2015
once upon a time in android's life.

4 Likes

Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 21, 2015
texazzpete:

This phone is not the revolution. The OS (Android) is. The phone doesn't have to sell that well, there will be hundreds of phones running android in the near future. Good phones, smart phones, crappy phones. . .

And since Android is open source, i'm pretty sure even China phones will trend to Android sooner or later. That's a thought!

And it's happening now, Android has successfully supercede other OS.
U are a good forecaster wink

3 Likes

Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by dragnet: 12:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
texazzpete:

Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by sokotoburundi(m): 6:26pm On Jul 21, 2015
this deserves fp
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by timbros(m): 6:41pm On Jul 21, 2015
texazzpete:

The guy who saw the future!
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by teewhydope(m): 6:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
texazzpete:

Intelligent indeed! cool
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by eniolaamoda: 1:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
dragnet:
Quote from nazzyon: Yesterday at 09:33:06 PM

EXPANDED

T-Mobile G1 Vs. Apple iPhone 3G

Dimensions= 4.60 inches x 2.16inches x 0.62 inch <<>>
5.5 inches x 2.4 inches x 0.48 inch
Screen size= 3.2 inch <<>>
3.5 inch
Navigation= Touch screen, QWERTY keyboard, trackball and navigation keys. No multitouch-gesture support. <<>>
Touch screen, Home button. Multitouch-gesture support.
Camera= 3.2 megapixels, no video recording <<>>
2.0 megapixels, no video recording
Connectivity= Quad-band GSM, dual-band UMTS, Wi-Fi. Bluetooth-headset profile is supported, but no stereo Bluetooth, no tethering. <<>>
Quad-band GSM, tri-band UMTS/HSDPA, Wi-Fi. Bluetooth-headset profile is supported, but no stereo Bluetooth, no tethering.
Accelerometer= Yes <<>> Yes
GPS= Yes <<>> Yes
Maps= Google Maps with Satellite View, Traffic, and Street View. Also has a compass mode that orients the screen as you move. <<>>
Google Maps with Satellite View and Traffic. No Street View
Memory= MicroSD-card slot expandable up to 8GB, with MicroSDHC-card support. Comes with a 1GB card preloaded <<>>
8GB or 16GB, no expansion slot
E-mail=
Push Gmail, POP3, IMAP, no Exchange <<>>
POP3, IMAP, Exchange support
Syncing=
Over-the-air synchronization <<>>
Desktop synchronization, with over-the-air sync for certain cloud-based applications like Web mail and online calendars.
Visual Voicemail=
Don't know yet, presumably no <<>>
Yes
Music Store= Amazon MP3 Store <<>>
iTunes Store
Application Store= Android Market. The SDK is open source and applications don't need to be vetted for approval. <<>>
iTunes Application Store. Applications need to be approved by Apple to appear in the store.
Multimedia Messaging=
Yes <<>> No
Copy and Paste=
Yes <<>> No
Voice dial=
Yes <<>> No
3.5mm headset jack=
No <<>> Yes
Removable battery=
Yes <<>> No
Price= $179 with two-year service agreement <<>>
$199 with two-year service agreement for 8GB, $299 with two-year service agreement for 16GB

Dragnet I have been unable to post quote or modify topics in tech section

And I wasn't banned

Sometin is ring with my account
Re: Android-based T-mobile G1 shows up (competes with) Apple-Iphone-3G by eniolaamoda: 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2015
[quote author=dragnet post=36118562][/quote]

Pls dragnet come to my aid

I cannot create topic especially in d tech market and fone section and it mKing me loose business

sometimes it comes up in d morning and goes off at night,what could be the cause of all these,it getting too much

Pls u ppl should find something to do to it

I can't even post or quote or modify and I was not even banned

If I we're banned dats a different thing

But I am and I have Neva been banned

Sometimes my post get missing

Sometimes am unable to create post

I just created a post now and only for me to go update it I can't find it

And I was not banned

I Learnt u sent me a email

My nairaland email ain't active no more so pls send ur emails to eniolaamodafuhad(@)gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Learning Phone Engineering / Internet Speed In Lagos Is Now Faster Than That Of Newyork- Wikipedia Founder / Gadget Importers Based In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.