Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) (2783 Views)

What Are Your Best Web-programming Books? / List Of Freely Available And Downloadable Programming Books From The Internet / Greatest List Of Freely Available Programming Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by rancetech(m): 6:16am On Sep 24, 2008
*Modified*
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by rancetech(m): 8:33am On Sep 24, 2008
There are other nice books on:

(1) Visual Basic (6.0 & .Net)

(2) .Net

(3) ASP.Net

(4) Algorithms & Data Structures

(5) Microsoft SQL Server

(6) Game Programming

(7) Python

(cool Oracle

(9) Linux

(10) Perl

(11) Delphi

(12) Cisco

(13) C++
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by Razmuhy: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2008
Hullo rancetech cheesy
Really love ur stuff ( I mean all these books are great.)

Could you please send some to me on my mailbox. exp the  ones  on fundamentals of programming.

The mail add is Razmuhy@gmail.com.

Gracias!!!!
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by ebot: 1:15am On Sep 26, 2008
Isn't it funny. The best programming books happen to be Java and C# books. cry. And I am supposed to be in the programming section of this forum. Whooof. I am disappointed.
Firstly, Java is a language that was created for AVERAGE programmers(James Gosling), so the best programming books will never be about Java. So if you wake up from your slumber and decide to learn real programming, choose a language with composable features(Or should I say dynamic with lambda, closures, continuation and lots of metaprogramming)

Disagree!!!! DON'T BEAT IT! THIS IS JUST A POST!!!
KEEP CODING IN BLUB(www.paulgraham.com/avg.html) IT WILL GIVE YOU MONEY BUT IT WILL NEVER MAKE YOU A GREAT HACKER([url]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html?PHPSESSID=22f7378d0d1ea654962a22bf13166a5a[/url]).

N.B: This is one of the greatest books in programming (Even your professor will agree)
[img]http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/graphics/main-banner.gif[/img]
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by rancetech(m): 5:08am On Sep 29, 2008
Isn't it funny how people's understanding varies?
I said Greatest Programming Books & somebody's telling me about Programming Languages.

@ebot
To be a great programmer, you need to learn how to understand lots of things very extensively including a simple post.
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by alexis(m): 9:22am On Sep 29, 2008
How do we get some of these books?
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by Ghenghis(m): 10:37am On Sep 29, 2008
yeah many are great books , but add these to the list

Effective java by Joshua Bloch
Mythical man month by Frederick brooks
Compilers - Principles, Techniques, and Tools by Alfred V. Aho,Monica S. Lam et. al
Seeing Data: Designing User Interfaces for Database Systems Using .NET By Rebecca M. Riordan
Java Concurrency in Practice By Brian Goetz, Tim Peierls, Joshua Bloch, Joseph Bowbeer, David Holmes, Doug Lea
Programming Windows by Charles Petzold
Refactoring to Patterns By Joshua Kerievsky
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by yawatide(f): 2:14pm On Sep 29, 2008
@ebot (a sanu  cool):
Not to take away from any of the books listed above but one must also ask, "greatest by whose definition and on what basis?"

For example the "C# threading handbook" receives only 2.5 stars on amazon based on 6 reviews (and tons of "xx" of "yy" people found this useful (where "xx" carried the majority vote in many cases).  Based on personal experience I have discovered that the one person who gave a book 1 star in amazon is very likely the person who most identifies with me and has helped immensely in my purchasing decisions).

Again, not to take away from the post but one must always carry out their own independent research to verify things to be true for themselves.  The aforementioned books could be "good" or "great" but not necessarily "the greatest".
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by Ghenghis(m): 3:09pm On Sep 29, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

@ebot (a sanu  cool):
Not to take away from any of the books listed above but one must also ask, "greatest by whose definition and on what basis?"
Again, not to take away from the post but one must always carry out their own independent research to verify things to be true for themselves.  The aforementioned books could be "good" or "great" but not necessarily "the greatest".

You are absolutely right, but its cool if you can get tips , I've found that only 1 in 7 books i buy is crap (i use amazon to decide).
May be @ebot should have picked just the favorite/top 10, we'd have a quality list from that. I usually just have 1 or 2 favs in a particular topic irrespective of language.

like the Java database best practices book is one of the best i've seen for developing databases (in any language)
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by Bossman(m): 3:13pm On Sep 29, 2008
Excellent point! Some of these books are good, and some are OK. These are obviously in the OP's opinion.  You have to do your own due diligence and determine what works for you. For example, In the case of Java Development, In addition to Thinking In Java, I find very thorough, and will always recommend the following books. Ivor Hortons Beginning Java, Sun's Java Tutorial, Heads First Java (or any heads first book), Java in a nutshell. And it does not mean they are the greatest books out there.  There are way too many books out there and what works for one person may not neccesarily work for the other.

yawa-ti-de:

@ebot (a sanu  cool):

Again, not to take away from the post but one must always carry out their own independent research to verify things to be true for themselves.  The aforementioned books could be "good" or "great" but not necessarily "the greatest".
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by yawatide(f): 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2008
@ghengis:
so how about, "all, here are the books that I have found to be very useful/helpful in my development endeavors. If any of you have read any of these, it would be nice to know your opinions about them. Perhaps you all will find these useful as well."

I think the above is better than, "greatest programming books (must have!). I think it's rather misleading. Again, for the umpteenth time, I am not taking away from any of the books. Just the thread title (make person no chop my head biko tongue).
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by rancetech(m): 10:43pm On Sep 29, 2008
@yawa
The books are awesome, just admit it. & nobody is trying to chop anybody's head.

yawa-ti-de:

@ghengis:
so how about, "all, here are the books that I have found to be very useful/helpful in my development endeavors. If any of you have read any of these, it would be nice to know your opinions about them. Perhaps you all will find these useful as well."

I think the above is better than, "greatest programming books (must have!). I think it's rather misleading. Again, for the umpteenth time, I am not taking away from any of the books. Just the thread title (make person no chop my head biko tongue).

We are all speaking the same language, useful, helpful or whatever, it still boils down to being great.
Re: Greatest Programming Books (Must Have!) by yawatide(f): 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2008
@rancetech, I can't admit what I don't know and more importantly what I can't verify for myself to be true. I am not saying they aren't great, I am saying it is his opinion. I browsed at least half the books on amazon and granted, I am not saying amazon is the best place to guage, most of the books received 2.5 less, some 3.

So again, let's focus on the preposition: Is this a good accumulation of books and a good effort by the poster to disseminate information to us? Definitely. But are they truly the greatest? I don't know but at the same time, I admit that they *could* be.

(1) (Reply)

Preview Of Shopmaster POS / Is It Possible To Write To A Smart Card With PHP / Generating Crystal Report With MYSQL Database For A VB.NET Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.