Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,667 members, 7,955,409 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:24 AM

Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? (6504 Views)

6 Foods You Can Cook In A Microwave To Make Your Life Easier- / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / How To Make A Cake In Less Than 10 Minutes With A Microwave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 24, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:23am On Sep 25, 2008
I know u can make noodles with a microwave oven tho. . . . . undecided lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by omoge(f): 12:37am On Sep 25, 2008
microwave is not for cooking. it is for warming food. or to make your cold food hot.

you could make 2 mins noodle with it though. but not for cooking ogbono, egusi or okra. it is not for boiling yam for your pound too.
i have seen someone made semo with it but not me. also you can't make your stew with Microwave.

try get a stove.

1 Like

Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by KarmaMod(f): 12:39am On Sep 25, 2008
Rofl. grin
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by LadyT(f): 12:41am On Sep 25, 2008
Oh dear.

What will you do when they take the electricity?
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 25, 2008
You can cook rice, stews, spaghetti, chicken . . . in your microwave oven.
But do this at your own risk.

God help you if the stew explodes.
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by omoge(f): 1:08am On Sep 25, 2008
david so that's how You cook your own  lipsrsealed

stew with microwave? what kind of stew is that? You talking of hash sauce or kini?
definitely not our nig stews where you heat oil, onion, tomatoes, ata, etc
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 25, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by LadyT(f): 11:26am On Sep 25, 2008
df2006:

are you guys serious? there are microwave ovens and there are microwave oven, this one says it can cook, grill, and roast, just don,t know how, any body with some experience could just fill in their 2p. some one said what if there,s no electricity? any body who lives in lagos, nigeria, and does not have a generator should move to somalia. a stove shocked shocked you must be kidding.

Mr No it all why ask us questions then!

So what if you have a generator if you are in the middle of cooking and they take the electricity and you run to turn on the generator God help you if it doesnt all explode.

You cannot cook stew in an microwave it will explode (I think you can do just plain rice tho grin). God help you if you try Amala or something like that! Are you telling me you will fry chicken in there too?

Omo better go and buy a stove or get some fire wood.
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 25, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by LadyT(f): 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2008
You are not serious angry

You cant cook Nigerian style food in a microwave!

Its best for heating things or cooking very simple things like noodles.

Why cant you use the gas cooker in your house?
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by AmakaOne(f): 2:22pm On Sep 25, 2008
Mix together 1/3 cup of Pounded Yam flour and one cup of water in a microwavable bowl until it forms a thick paste, making sure there are no lumps.
Mix pounded yam flour with water into medium consistency (Think same consistency as custard or pap/akamu/ogi)
Add more yam flour if too watery
Stir properly to ensure all flour properly mixed
Put in microwave for 5 MINS
If too soft, mixture was too watery (remember the next time :-)
Dont worry, put in microwave for 2 more mins
Stir properly with wooden spoon

Alternative method
Mix together 1/3 cup of Nigerian Pounded Yam flour and one cup of water in a microwavable bowl until it forms a thick paste, making sure there are no lumps.
Place the bowl in a microwave oven and cook for 3 minutes on high.
Take the bowl out and stir the mix.
You may add more water to reduce the thickness to your desired consistency.
Place the stirred mix back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes on high.
Remove the cooked Pounded Yam and serve with your favorite soup or stew.
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 25, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by LadyT(f): 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2008
AMAKAONE:

Mix together 1/3 cup of Pounded Yam flour and one cup of water in a microwavable bowl until it forms a thick paste, making sure there are no lumps.
Mix pounded yam flour with water into medium consistency (Think same consistency as custard or pap/akamu/ogi)
Add more yam flour if too watery
Stir properly to ensure all flour properly mixed
Put in microwave for 5 MINS
If too soft, mixture was too watery (remember the next time :-)
don't worry, put in microwave for 2 more mins
Stir properly with wooden spoon

Alternative method
Mix together 1/3 cup of Nigerian Pounded Yam flour and one cup of water in a microwavable bowl until it forms a thick paste, making sure there are no lumps.
Place the bowl in a microwave oven and cook for 3 minutes on high.
Take the bowl out and stir the mix.
You may add more water to reduce the thickness to your desired consistency.
Place the stirred mix back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes on high.
Remove the cooked Pounded Yam and serve with your favorite soup or stew.

Oya do stew and meat let me see

tongue
df2006:

no vex lady t, grin this third mainland bridge construction, don turn me to islander. so most times i don,t go back home, because of the traffic, i,ve got this cosy spare room in my office where i spend the night, so using a gas cooker there will be pushing it. amaka one, you be really the no 1, thank you i appreciate. you guys should keep it coming maybe i no go go back that mainland again.

You should of said. Why cant you cook at home and bring it to the office? Buy a fridge freezer and store it there. Can your wife/girlfriend not help you cook and you can store it?
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 25, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by AmakaOne(f): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2008
1 large onion, diced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1-2 Chili peppers (Chopped)

2 x 400 gram (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes in tomato juice

2 teaspoons dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

Preparation:

This recipe uses a 750 watt microwave.

1. Place the onion in a microwave jug - 1500 ml capacity, with olive oil. Microwave on HIGH (1000) for 4 minutes.

Stir onion and microwave for a further 3-4 minutes until they are clear and starting to brown.

2. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir well and microwave for 20 minutes on MEDIUM (500)

3. Stir the mixture and return to microwave for another 20 minutes on MEDIUM.

You can also add meat/meat substitutes to this recipe - it's really up to your imagination.

Choose Italian style canned tomatoes. You can also use fresh tomatoes if you prefer - Roma tomatoes work well.
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by tpia: 12:23am On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by plusQueen: 12:28am On Oct 06, 2008
I hear you can even cook fish with a dryer
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by omoge(f): 2:52am On Oct 06, 2008
grin

i also heard you can use head pound yam
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by AmakaOne(f): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2008
grin LOL @ plus_Queen & omoge

@df2006

It's Basic Tomato stew base.  The sugar is to counter the sourness in the tomato.

You can vary the stew by adding ground crayfish, meat, chicken or whatever @ step 2.

I made chicken stew with this recipe when I was in college and it turned out ok.

Except you need to cook the chicken separately first and add it at step 2 before the final 20 mins cooking time.

Wash chicken and pat dry & rub with  seasonings of your choice.
If whole, place chicken on a microsafe roasting rack in an oblong Pyrex(TM) casserole.
If chicken is in pieces, arrange skin-side down directly in the casserole.
Place thicker, meatier parts towards the outside edge of the dish.

Place casserole on rack recommended by oven manufacturer and roast uncovered on COMBINATION CYCLE suitable for poultry.
It will take 35 to 60 minutes, until golden brown.
Time varies with different ovens.
Turn chicken over halfway through cooking; baste occasionally.
Add to the tomato stew at step 2 and cook as normal.

bon apetit!
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by AmakaOne(f): 12:35pm On Oct 06, 2008
Great, easy microwaved rice without sticking or messy clean-up. How you should cook rice depends on the type of rice and the power of microwave. Unwashed long grain rice can be cooked simply with high until all water is evaporated. A general rule is to cook as, first slowly to heat up water, then bring it to the boil, and followed by simmering on low heat to allow all water to be absorbed. It is best if the rice is washed at least 15 min before cooking, in order to allow rice grains to absorb some water.

Steps

1. Select a deep microwave dish with a cover.
2. Get the ratio right. The ratio is what's important: 1 unit rice, 2 units water. For example: 1/2 cup of rice, add 1 cup of cold water; 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of cold water.
3. Place in the microwave on maximum heat (i.e., 900 Watts) for 10 minutes without the lid.
4. Then stir, cover with the lid and place in the microwave for an additional 3 minutes until all water is absorbed.
5. Remove from microwave and let stand a few minutes before fluffing with a fork.
6. You can add salt or butter before cooking if you wish, or cook the rice in chicken or other stock instead of water.

Tips

* Can be reheated on an appropriate setting - which means that if you are making curry and plan to serve it later, the rice can be re-prepared.
* Adding a teaspoon of vinegar (any kind) would make it fluffier - don't worry- it won't leave any sour taste.
* A little saffron added gives it a very nice color and flavor.
* After the rice is cooled down, it can be divided into small portions and frozen. They can be reheated with microwave later without losing much of the freshness.

Warnings

* Do not leave rice at room temperature for longer than 1 hour. Doing so could cause bacteria to start to form, please consider this especially if planning on reheating the rice.
* Please use a container with a lid that allows pressure to escape or do not seal lid tight.
* Be mindful that sealing containers where boiling liquids causes pressure to build can lead to lids being blown off with a fair amount of energy causing contents to spill into microwave.

Can be served with any stew.
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by tpia: 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by tpia: 9:31pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by princessk1: 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2008
pls what of baking is it possible in a microwave/grill?
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by AmakaOne(f): 5:23pm On Oct 10, 2008
You can easily bake a cake in a microwave in less than half the time it takes to bake in a regular oven .

It works well for cakes that you are going to use frosting on as they don't come out with a golden brown crust like they would in a regular oven. 

This cake can be done in about 6 mins. Very useful when you are babysitting a pair of hyperactive kids and their parents are galivanting all over the Jand grin

When it's cooled down you use frosting  as you would on any regular cake.

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup hot water
3 tbs cocoa or 1.5 tabs coffee granules (Nescafe preferably or any rich dark roast) dissolved in a bit of hot water
1 tbs baking powder
1 ml salt
5 ml vanilla essence
2 large eggs

How to make

* Put a baking trivet into microwave oven.
    * Grease dish (20 cm diameter x 8 cm deep). Line bottom of dish with greaseproof paper and grease again it again
    * Mix together flour, castor sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl
    * Place cocoa or coffee essence into a mixing bowl, add the water and vanilla and mix well.
    * Add eggs and mix well again.
    * Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and using an electric mixer beat together for 30 seconds (very important).

* Put cake mix into the prepared dish and place in centre of trivet in microwave and bake on full power for six minutes.

* When time is up you may find the centre of top of cake is moist, blot with kitchen towel and press lightly.
    * Remove towel.
    *  Allow to cool a few minutes.
    * Turn onto cake rack, peel off paper and ice anyway you wish.

This cake freezes well.

N.B. MAKE SURE TO USE MICROWAVEABLE BAKEWARE. 
I'VE FOUND THE NEW SILICON BAKEWARE TO BE JUST GREAT.
YOU CAN USE IT ION BOTH MICROWAVE AND REGULAR OVENS
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by princessk1: 9:00pm On Oct 10, 2008
u r a darling, thanks am always up 4 saving time
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 11, 2008
Re: Any One Knows How To Cook With A Microwave? by OMOKAKA1: 12:48pm On Oct 13, 2008
Amaka is quite right, infact, microwave has come to replace the normal oven. all you need is moderation in all. cheers. grin[b][/b]

(1) (Reply)

Top 3 Food That Can Enlarge Your Penis / Hips, Buttocks & Breast Enlargement Oil / Can You Fry Your Egg With Palm Oil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.