Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,538 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY (925 Views)

Mtn Zte Mf627 F@stlink Would'nt Install.please Help Needed Urgently.! / Help Needed With Handycafe Software! / Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by wurdz: 6:04pm On Oct 01, 2008
hey all!Happy Independence.i need ur help.my friends laptop was recently attacked by trojans,he disinfected and his system is now virus free.only problem is i think the virus tampered with his registry.so now when he tries to open his local drive or any external drive,he gets the "open with" display window.the only way he can access his drive is through the explorer.what commands does he need to run to edit his registry as we all know the wrong entries to his red. can mess hi system up?awaitin ur replies.10x
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by dreday(m): 11:00pm On Oct 01, 2008
What antivirus did your friend use?Try McAfee with the latest definitions
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by wurdz: 10:37pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ dreday
he has tried that but,problem still persists.guys PLS,i NEED ur help as my friend is currently out of lag and he depends on me for the solution
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by wurdz: 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2008
Guys,guys,GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please come to my aid.thx.
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by xprofile: 4:21pm On Oct 06, 2008
use ESET NOD32 antivirus to do a deep scanning and it will be ok,
hope that works,  wink
if it doesn't
let me no

bigamos4real@yahoo.com
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by DualCore1: 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2008
Autorun.INF is usually used by CD Installers to autoplay their installations but Hard disks by default should not have AUTORUN.INF in the drive.

Now, it is possible that your computer is infected by those viruses if you try to display the content of the your computer through command prompt, using the dir /ah command.

[img]http://bleuken.i.ph/photo/d/114-1/cmd.jpg[/img]

The said virus hides itself inside a folder named Recycled. The folder has a hidden/system/read-only attribute, that’s why you can’t see it if you will use the Search window. When your system is infected by the said virus, it infects every drive connected to your PC by dropping VCAB.DLL to the internet temporary folder and creating the CTFMON.EXE to folder Recyled & AUTORUN.INF to the root directory of every drive. That’s why when you connect your USB sticks to the infected PC it will be infected immediately, the USB disks will be the new carrier for the virus. The program runs every time you start your computer because it copy itself in the Startup folder of the Start Menu. It also run every time your insert the infected USB disk and it triggers every time you Double-Click the infected drive (bcoz of the AUTORUN.INF). The virus infects .EXEs and .DLLs.

To check if your system is infected by the said virus without using an antivirus, do the following steps:

1. Go to command prompt.
2. Type CD\ in drive C to go the root directory
3. Type DIR /AH and press ENTER key. This will display all hidden files in your drive C
4. If you see a file AUTORUN.INF and a folder Recycled, then your system is infected.
5. Try doing this to your USB drive and check if your USB stick contains the same folder and AUTORUN.INF, if it does then your system is really infected,

To manually remove it go through the following steps.

Boot your system in Safemode

1. Go to command prompt, in Drive C do the following commands.
2. Type -> ATTRIB -H -R -S AUTORUN.INF then press enter
3. Type -> DEL AUTORUN.INF then press enter
4. Type -> ATTRIB -H -R -S Recycled then press enter
5. In Windows Explorer in Safemode, remove the folder Recycled in drive C use Shift-Delete to delete the folder.
6. Repeat Step 3 to 6 for all drives of your system including the USB drive.
7. Search for CTFMON.EXE in your system using the Search of Windows found in Start Menu. If you find a file that is not located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, delete it immediately. Dont forget to empty the recycle bin afterwards (Usually the virus will copy itself in the Startup folder of the Startmenu. Check if the file is present there and delete it then.)

To disable autorun of drives (i.e. everytime you double-click a drive or cd or usb, it is auto open) follow the following step:

Click Start->Run->type REGEDIT.EXE

1. Go to this key from the register HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
2. Look for the entry NoDriveTypeAutoRun, double click the entry
3. Type a new value : 0FF (Hex) for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun, this will turn off the AutoRun for all drives, and press ENTER
4. Reboot the system.

This has work for me more times than i can remember.

Disclaimer: try my suggestions at your own risk, i will take no responsibilities if anything goes wrong even if u followed my suggestions to the last letter. Please have it in mind though that all suggestions made have been gathered from years of experience and have, so far, worked for me.
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by lynxnoon(m): 9:26pm On Oct 08, 2008
Dual Core:

Disclaimer: try my suggestions at your own risk, i will take no responsibilities if anything goes wrong even if u followed my suggestions to the last letter. Please have it in mind though that all suggestions made have been gathered from years of experience and have, so far, worked for me.
my guy no worry, i don try am , e dey wok wink wink wink
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by wurdz: 12:51am On Oct 09, 2008
@ dual,thanks i 4warded d page to my friend.i am still waitin 4 his response.

@ lynx,10x 4 d vote of confidence
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by Bazz1905: 10:57am On Oct 09, 2008
Dualcore, its nice to hear from someone who sure knows his works. Your suggestions worked. Thanks bro. I need your help on how i can get a Windows XP 2007 os (Genuine) downloaded for my laptop. Any links and which antivirus do you think offers the best protection and how do i get it ( If possible free download with the codes) Cheers.
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by webzone2: 4:27am On Nov 01, 2008
Hi, i know for you to mailed me you must have tried a couple of things. Anyway, i acknowledge your effort. *I ONLY HAVE MTN & ZAIN BROWSING PACKAGE FOR NOW*. For you to browse on your Computer or Desktop for free using an Mtn or Zain line, you need a software and the configuration settings.

This has been package and it comes with a well detailed manual. It goes out for N3,000 for the browsing package payable into our bank A/c after which payment is confirmed and your package will be sent into your Email box. But if you are in doubt, simply come to my place yourself with your laptop or flash drive to get your free browsing package.

DONT DOUBT ME BECAUSE ITS WHAT I HAVE SOLD, AND ITS WHAT AM USING TO SEND YOU THIS MAIL.

Mtn & Zain browsing package N3,000

Heres the bank details
Bank name:GTBank
A/c name: ogundokun kayode
A/c no.: 2188175471590
Apapa, lagos.

Remember to text me the teller no. And your email address after payment.
*YOU CAN INSTALL FOR YOUR FRIENDS BUT PLEASE DONT DO ANY SEMINAR ON IT.
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by wurdz: 10:41am On Nov 01, 2008
eh ehn!dual core wia r u?was tryn 2 instal a pc suite 4 my sony ericsson and was askd to disable my antivirus so as to instal d m-router.i took a gamble and disabled it.since then,my usb ports av bn actin up,the top of my task manager is missn(neva seen that 1 b4)and worst of all just yesterday,my pcmcia port has refusd to work wit my pc card(ds works fyn on my brother's laptop)it comes on and goes off immediately.i av dn a system restore.
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by LUDALOOLO(m): 3:39am On Nov 04, 2008
@Bazz1905 if you need a geniune Xp i can install that on your laptop for you. pm me Y:M lagos4nigeria or email me sometimeswe@gmail.com
Re: PLS,HELP NEEDED URGENTLY by LUDALOOLO(m): 3:40am On Nov 04, 2008
@Bazz1905 if you need a geniune Xp i can install that on your laptop for you.  pm me Y:M lagos4nigeria or email me sometimeswe@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Operamin Connection To Phones / My Zain Browser Is Jst Too Fast / In Need Of Avast Anti Virus Serial Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.