Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,109 members, 7,821,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

How to make fondant icing? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How to make fondant icing? (42891 Views)

Fondant Icing Versus Butter Icing / Tips On How To Make Fondant Icing / How To Make A Fondant Icing On Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to make fondant icing? by douxange(f): 11:07pm On Oct 03, 2008
I've always wanted to learn to make fondant icing but it costs so much and I can't afford so much for a hobby. I need to learn how to mix and all that. Please nairalanders can anyone help with this. Thanks.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by AmakaOne(f): 1:25pm On Oct 06, 2008
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

½ cup shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

Please be careful, this first stage can get hot.

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 ½ minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY - palms, backs and in between fingers, then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. (By the way, this recipe is also good for your hands. When I’m done, they are baby soft.)

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands.

Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant is sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about ½ tablespoon at a time then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

Its best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of shortening, wrap in a plastic- type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make 2 batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How to make fondant icing? by douxange(f): 11:56am On Oct 07, 2008
@AMAKA
Thanks a lot for that, i really needed it. You are such a dear.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by AmakaOne(f): 4:17pm On Oct 08, 2008
@douxange

U are most welcome.

The nice thing about this fondant is that it actually tastes good ( Like Mmarshamllows). Not like that one which they usually put on cakes that you end up peeling off and leaving it on the plate after eating the cake.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by TINAOGE: 11:27am On Jan 16, 2009
Please Amakaone do you know of any good Catering school in Abuja. I want to learn. Or any good place I can learn how to make some pastries.

Thank you so much
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Julietjay(f): 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2010
AmakaOne:

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

½ cup shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

Please be careful, this first stage can get hot.

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 ½ minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY - palms, backs and in between fingers, then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. (By the way, this recipe is also good for your hands. When I’m done, they are baby soft.)

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands.

Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant is sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about ½ tablespoon at a time then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

Its best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of shortening, wrap in a plastic- type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make 2 batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance.

pls where do i get mini marshmallows and shortenings
are mini marshmallow those veggies wiv seeds in them
Re: How to make fondant icing? by madlady(f): 5:04pm On Oct 30, 2010
Mini Marshmallows.

Re: How to make fondant icing? by infinitii(f): 1:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
please Amaka can you help me on how to get these MMF in Lagos, I used to think they can only be bought in overseas. thanks
my email ID is kennynuga1@yahoo.com
thanks once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How to make fondant icing? by janeypearls(f): 3:44pm On May 22, 2013
infinitii: please Amaka can you help me on how to get these MMF in Lagos, I used to think they can only be bought in overseas. thanks
my email ID is kennynuga1@yahoo.com
thanks once again
pls where can get d marshmallows in lagos okota.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by yomibabe(f): 4:02pm On May 22, 2013
janeypearls: pls where can get d marshmallows in lagos okota.

Go to shoprite and you will get marshmallows there
Re: How to make fondant icing? by schendy(f): 10:57am On Jun 02, 2013
When it comes to fondant, u have to be very careful with recipe 'cos, u have to put d weather of where u are into consideration. If you use the internet recipe don't be surprised if ur fondant starts crying and remains wet. Well, the recipe above works for Amaka, and I assume ( I stand to b corrected tho)that she resides outside nigeria, also, if u want to use the marshmallow in fondant for a cake that u'l eat @ home and not when doing commercial purposes its aiit(I.e covering cakes for customers),but how many would u have to buy when covering a wedding cake. Ill give a recipe that's @ least to my knowledge sure proof of naija weather condition and also cheap to obtain in the market.

Recipe

1.5kg bakers choice icing sugar (I don't work 4 bakers choice, I only use it cos d fondant comes out whiter than others )

Gellatin. - 1 n half Tbs measuring spoon
Water- varies btw 50grms to 100 grms ( depends on d gellatin, there r two kinds of it)
Glucose. - 100grms
Flavour- (optional)
CMC - half Tsp (optional) add during rainy season, exclude during dry season.

Procedure
Measure gellatin and glucose in seperate bowls add water to gellatin and allow it to sponge (rest n soak), place the two bowls in a pot of boiling water and leave for 20mins, pour abt 50grms of icing sugar into a large bowl and pour the gellatin and glucose on it, mix with a spoon and keep adding d sugar lil by lil, then pour lots of sugar on a worktable and pour the content of the bowl in d middle. Knead like u would do a bread dough.when it all comes together in a ball, ur fondant is ready. N.b keep adding sugar till it forms d ball and Is a bit hard, u can put d CMC and flavour while kneading.
@ op pls try this recipe and come back to tell us how it came out.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How to make fondant icing? by janeypearls(f): 10:12am On Jun 13, 2013
Pls wat is cmc?

2 Likes

Re: How to make fondant icing? by schendy(f): 8:25am On Jun 18, 2013
CMC = caboxyl methyl celullose, also known as tylose powder.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by loverboy3060: 9:48am On Jun 18, 2013
good
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 15, 2013
schendy: When it comes to fondant, u have to be very careful with recipe 'cos, u have to put d weather of where u are into consideration. If you use the internet recipe don't be surprised if ur fondant starts crying and remains wet. Well, the recipe above works for Amaka, and I assume ( I stand to b corrected tho)that she resides outside nigeria, also, if u want to use the marshmallow in fondant for a cake that u'l eat @ home and not when doing commercial purposes its aiit(I.e covering cakes for customers),but how many would u have to buy when covering a wedding cake. Ill give a recipe that's @ least to my knowledge sure proof of naija weather condition and also cheap to obtain in the market.

Recipe

1.5kg bakers choice icing sugar (I don't work 4 bakers choice, I only use it cos d fondant comes out whiter than others )

Water- varies btw 50grms to 100 grms ( depends on d gellatin, there r two kinds of it)
Glucose. - 100grms
Flavour- (optional)

Procedure
Measure gellatin and glucose in seperate bowls add water to gellatin and allow it to sponge (rest n soak), place the two bowls in a pot of boiling water and leave for 20mins, pour abt 50grms of icing sugar into a large bowl and pour the gellatin and glucose on it, mix with a spoon and keep adding d sugar lil by lil, then pour lots of sugar on a worktable and pour the content of the bowl in d middle. Knead like u would do a bread dough.when it all comes together in a ball, ur fondant is ready. N.b keep adding sugar till it forms d ball and Is a bit hard, u can put d CMC and flavour while kneading.

why did u skip glycerine in ur recipe?
Re: How to make fondant icing? by bukkieno(f): 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
Can someone please tell me where I can buy a small cupcake stand in lagos for my daughter's birthday.thanks
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2013
schendy: When it comes to fondant, u have to be very careful with recipe 'cos, u have to put d weather of where u are into consideration. If you use the internet recipe don't be surprised if ur fondant starts crying and remains wet. Well, the recipe above works for Amaka, and I assume ( I stand to b corrected tho)that she resides outside nigeria, also, if u want to use the marshmallow in fondant for a cake that u'l eat @ home and not when doing commercial purposes its aiit(I.e covering cakes for customers),but how many would u have to buy when covering a wedding cake. Ill give a recipe that's @ least to my knowledge sure proof of naija weather condition and also cheap to obtain in the market.

Recipe

Glucose. - 100grms
Flavour- (optional)

Procedure

Without Glycerine and Crisco in this recipe the fondant will be breaking up in bits and too hard.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 12:34pm On Sep 20, 2013
Just in case Crisco is the same as shortening.

1 Like

Re: How to make fondant icing? by schendy(f): 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2013
First of all, once ur fondant is done wrapt it in an air tight container, if u do so, it doesn't get hard. In actual fact crisco actually makes fondant break, because it reduces d elasticity, also glycerine is sooo not good for the weather of this country, it makes d fondant sweat, for me any way. But then whatever rocks ur boat, u can experiment with both methods n find d one d@ works for u.

3 Likes

Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
Everyday is a learning curve. I've never made fondant without glycerine but I will try your recipe and let you know how it turned out.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by degurl(f): 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
I had a very horrible experience recently. I mistakenly added glycerine to my fondant in cold weather. I usually add glycerine but that day the weather was not just right for it so I should have skipped it.

The fondant cried like it was mourning a very dear relative. Luckily the birthday party was in the night so I was able to change the entire decoration to something completely different (the two green background coloured cakes).

I learnt my lesson the hard way. Be careful with the way you use glycerine.

@ruby, I dont use Crisco ooooo yet my fondant stretches like gum and never breaks. I add the CMC to the icing sugar.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 1:20pm On Sep 21, 2013
@degurl your fondant streches like gum because of the CMC or tylose powder you add. I never add tylose powder to my fondant except when am making gumpaste. Like eveything else different strokes for different people. It is better to stick to what works better for you. Also climate affects fondant too. So goodluck and thanks for sharing your experience.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by degurl(f): 6:15am On Sep 22, 2013
Thanks too @ruby. We never stop learning even till old age.
Re: How to make fondant icing? by bimsbabe(f): 1:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
@ schendy...Pls could you help me with ur fondant recipe again.I really did not understand ur initail post.Pls I want 2get the measurement of CMC,Gellatin and the others in spoon measurement and Icing sugar in grams.Pls would appreciate if you can send it to rukyobi@yahoo.com.Thanks so very much.Cheers ![color=#990000][/color]
Re: How to make fondant icing? by bimsbabe(f): 2:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
@ schendy...Pls could you help me with ur fondant recipe again.I really did not understand ur initail post.Pls I want 2get the measurement of CMC,Gellatin and the others in spoon measurement and Icing sugar in grams.Pls would appreciate if you can send it to rukyobi@yahoo.com.Thanks so very much.Cheers !
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2014
bimsbabe:
@ schendy...Pls could you help me with ur fondant recipe again.I really did not understand ur initail post.Pls I want 2get the measurement of CMC,Gellatin and the others in spoon measurement and Icing sugar in grams.Pls would appreciate if you can send it to rukyobi@yahoo.com.Thanks so very much.Cheers !

Gellatin 15g
cmc 15 g
Icing sugar 500g

1 Like

Re: How to make fondant icing? by Nobody: 10:56am On May 29, 2017
Pls when will the CMC be added
Re: How to make fondant icing? by Rubyventures: 11:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Pls when will the CMC be added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTbqfYKMQE

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of The Cobra Killed Last Night By My Neighbour & Brother / How Long Can This Last If It Were To Be In Nigeria? / 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.