Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! (1635 Views)

Help - Petroleum Engineer Ready To Do 1 Year Free Job For Any Company / Recieve Free Job Alerts To Your Mobile Phone / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2014
Welcome to Job Seekers Corner!

Patrick Okunima is my name. I'm a graduate of Accounting from the great University of Benin. I am also the Founder & CEO of CV Wizards (www.cvwizards.com), Nigeria's best CV writers. I have helped hundreds of Nigerian graduates and experienced professionals secure their dream jobs by equipping them with professional, interview-winning CVs and cover letters. I am your anchor on this thread where we'll be providing you with FREE Job Search Tips including career advice, CV and cover letter writing guide, interview coaching etc. Stay tuned!

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 2:02pm On Jun 27, 2014
Hello friends,

I think it’s necessary for those of us who are still searching for jobs to maintain a job search diary. Unlike the popular diary you’re used to where major events you consider worthy to be remembered are recorded, a job search diary is a document where every activity you carried out in respect to job search is entered, such as job applications made, responses from previous applications, interviews attended, lessons learnt and employment gained. The diary will not get you the job, but it will definitely help you stay organized in your job search.
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2014
Today’s question is from Ifeoma.

“What is the difference between a resume, CV and cover letter?”

The main differences between a resume and a CV are length, content and use.

A resume is shorter, maximum of 3 pages. That’s because a CV is more detailed and comprehensive.

A resume contains just about 4 to 5 sections. Namely; profile/objective, educational qualification, work history and professional affiliation. While a CV includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details.

A CV is used primarily when applying for academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants. Every other kind of job application requires a resume and not a CV

A cover letter is different from these two documents above. It’s usually a 1-page document accompanying a resume, which purpose is to indicate interest in a job position, provide additional details that are not included on a resume and market the applicant’s skills.

Note: In Africa and some parts of Europe, when recruiters request for a CV, they actually mean a resume. So don’t get confused!

Copied from our Facebook page.

1 Like

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by penzino(m): 8:58pm On Jun 27, 2014
Following!
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 5:07am On Jun 28, 2014
5 ATTITUDES THAT CAN HELP YOU PASS AN INTERVIEW

1. Dress appropriately. Don’t put on something you’re not comfortable with.

2. Arrive the interview venue on time. You should be the one waiting for the interviewer, not the other way round.

3. Watch your body language. Don’t send any signal that suggests rudeness, pomposity or any negative attitude.

4. Be prepared for anything. An interview may involve testing your patience, tolerance or endurance. So, be prepared for any kind of treatment.

5. Ask questions when you’re in doubt. If something is not clear to you, ask for clarification. Nobody will crucify you for that.

Best of luck in your next interview!
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2014
Today's question is from Francis.

"I'm a 4th year undergraduate studying elect/elect engr. I hav a training on IP camera,microwave and networking. I am looking for a place for internship. How do I go about it?"

Answer: To start with, I'll recommend you decide on your preferred location for internship. Secondly, what kind of company or firm would you prefer?Engineering, Telecom etc. Then, make a list of all the organisations that meet your criteria. Write an application for internship to all of them attaching your CV. Make sure you submit the applications in person, if possible, to the CEO or HR Manager, depending on the size of the company. Lastly, check back after a week or so to see if your application is considered. Below is a sample application you can customize;

Your Address,
City, State
27 May 2014

The Human Resources Manager
Company Name,
City, State

Dear Sir,

…………………. is my name. I am a 400 Level Electrical/Electronics Engineering student at the University of ……………… I wish to apply for an internship position with your organization and would be very grateful if my application is favorably considered.

I have practical experience in IP cameras, Microwave and Networking, and I believe these knowledge would be of immense use to your organization. I am also very hardworking and enthusiastic to learn.

Thanks for your consideration.

Yours Faithfully,

Signature

Surname Name

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2014
Sorry guys, I couldn't post on the thread due to technical reasons. Now I'm back.
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 11:04am On Jul 06, 2014
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
Today’s question is from Akomolafe.

"Hello CV Wizards, I did my CV with you, I submitted my CV for a Talent Manager Job @ Chocolate City and was called for an interview... On thursday, *smiles* To be sincere, I know nothing about talent management relating to music industry, I need ur help on likely questions they might ask me.... Thanks in anticipation!!!"

Answer: The job of a Talent Manager in the music industry is to identify and nurture upcoming artists; mold and guide identified talents in their professional music career. In order words, he serves as a counselor/ adviser to musicians. In the interview, you should expect questions like;

1. Tell us about yourself.

2. What do you know about talent management?

3. What experience do you have related to the Talent Manager position?

4. Why did you apply for this position?

5. What do you know about Chocolate City?

6. How long would you expect to work here if hired?

Go through our previous posts for other common interview questions. Also do a thorough research on Talent Manager jobs and Chocolate City. The company has a strong online presence, so you can find every information you need about it online. Best of luck.

Readers, If you have attended an interview for a related position, you can share your experience with Akomolafe.

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by Businesstools(m): 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
Great Thread.
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 6:48pm On Jul 06, 2014
What is the difference between a resume, CV and cover letter?

The main differences between a resume and a CV are length, content and use.

A resume is shorter, maximum of 3 pages. That’s because a CV is more detailed and comprehensive.

A resume contains just about 4 to 5 sections. Namely; profile/objective, educational qualification, work history and professional affiliation. While a CV includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details.

A CV is used primarily when applying for academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants. Every other kind of job application requires a resume and not a CV

A cover letter is different from these two documents above. It’s usually a 1-page document accompanying a resume, which purpose is to indicate interest in a job position, provide additional details that are not included on a resume and market the applicant’s skills.

Note: In Africa and some parts of Europe, when recruiters request for a CV, they actually mean a resume. So don’t get confused!
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 5:37am On Jul 07, 2014
8 TIPS TO IMPRESS YOUR BOSS

Good Morning friends, there’s no better time to post this topic than the first Monday of the month.

1. Anticipate what needs to be done. Then go ahead and do it if it’s within your capacity. If it’s not, recommend to your boss. Bosses like subordinates who use their initiatives constructively.

2. Always strive for improvement. Go extra miles. Volunteer to assist your colleagues – not only when they’re having difficulties.

3. Exhibit a professional attitude at all times and be ethical in all your dealings.

4. Be prepared and ready for work. Don’t carry out your tasks with levity.

5. Never praise yourself. If you deserve it, others will blow your trumpet for you.

6. When given a task by your boss, always report to him on completion.

7. Don’t gossip about your boss or say something bad about him. Remember: Walls have hears.

8. Be punctual on everything you do. Not just getting to work on time, but also completing your details within reasonable time-frame.

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
Landing a good job can take months or even years, so be persistent; exploit every avenue and tap all available resources within your reach. Example: Ask your neighbors, friends and relatives to inform you whenever there’s a vacancy in their company and call them often as a reminder.
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 10:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
Today’s question is from Daniel.

“Good morning, please I am a final year student of mass communication in a federal Polytechnic currently on strike. I want to get a part-time job in any radio or TV station but don’t know how to go about it since I do not have my HND result yet. Please tell me how to do this.”

Here’s how to go about it;

1. Get a letter of identification from your department to prove that You’re an HND student of the institution. The letter should be addressed to the radio station or simply, to whom it may concern, duly stamped and signed by your HOD or his representative. Your school being on strike does not hinder you from contacting your HOD.

2. Write an application to the radio station indicating your interest . You must state clearly in your letter that you’re yet to complete your HND programme. Attach the letter of identification from your department and submit to the HR department of the radio or TV station.

I hope that was helpful?

Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 5:44am On Jul 09, 2014
Today’s Question is from Anderson.

“Good day CV Wizards. I very much appreciate the good work you guys are doing and I’m going to invite all my friends to like your page. Now to the issue at hand. I received an invite for an interview last Thursday. Actually, there was an advert for this position last year in this same company but I didn’t apply. This year again, I saw the same job advert and applied. Now I have been invited for an interview. It’s either the previous person was sacked or he died or he left for greener pastures. How can I find out why the position is vacant since I don’t know anybody in that company?”

It’s a good idea to know why the position is vacant. At least that will help you know whether or not the job will be appealing to you, considering the fact that some employers are very difficult to work with. I suggest You wait till the interview and ask the interviewer in person. Here’s how to put your question, “Is this a new position? If not, why did the previous employee leave?” Please wait till the end of the interview before asking, so that you don’t look too curious. He may not give You all the details, but from his answer You should be able to form your opinion of the company and the position.

Friends, could you please help out here. Besides asking the interviewer, what other means can be of help?
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 10:15am On Jul 10, 2014
Today’s question is from Lucy.

“I just completed my secondary education and would like to become an investment banker in the future. What course do I need to study in the university to achieve this?”

Being an investment banker requires having a Masters degree in Business Administration. However, for entry level analyst position You’ll require a Bachelors Degree in a Banking related course (Accounting, Banking & Finance, Business Administration, Economics etc.). Note: Investment Banking involves a lot of presentation and analytic skills. To excel in this profession, You must be good with numbers. Start practicing spreadsheets, MS Excel and PowerPoint so that by the time you graduate, You would have mastered these basic tools used by investment bankers. Best of luck
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 6:01am On Jul 11, 2014
Today’s question is from Mohammed.

"As an applicant, how will you answer this question in an interview : explain your CV to us."

Permit me to refer you to an article by Jun Loayza – Interview Tips: “Walk me through your resume”

This is one of the first questions that interviewers ask and one of the easiest to fail at.

Talk about each section of your resume in a linear, clear, enthusiastic way. Do not go overly in-depth into any one item, but do not remain too superficial either. Touch on your academic, professional, leadership, technical, and personal qualifications, concluding with a statement about why these experiences are important for your industry.

Don’t let the wording of this question limit your response. Every candidate will have experience and leadership positions. What sets someone apart is a unique personality and interests. An interviewer ultimately wants to know if you are a good cultural fit for the company. Let your personality shine through and talk about the things you do outside of school and work.

The goal is to develop a 360-degree profile of yourself that shows why you would create value for the firm and why you are an attractive candidate for the position.

Key Points

 Know your resume intimately—be prepared to answer this question without glancing.

 Have at least two stories prepared for each item on your resume that capture what you did and how you did it.

 Keep your answer within 2 minutes.

Approach

1. Begin with your academics.

 Give your year and major, and explain why you chose your department, how it relates to your life, and how it relates to a career with this company.

 Name any academic honors you received.

2. Speak about your professional experiences, starting with your most relevant one.

 Highlight only one thing about each job position that represents the most value to the company.

 Share the one or two lessons or qualifications you received from each item.

3. Discuss your leadership positions outside of your professional activities.

 Explain why you chose to participate in this organization and what drove you to your leadership position. Speak about the positive difference that you made for the organization and what you learned about yourself.

 Highlight only one thing about each leadership position that you are most proud of, and that brought the most value to the organization.

 Do not skip any of your experiences. If the experience is listed on your resume, it should be one that you are proud of and that taught you a valuable lesson about yourself and your career.

 Explain how the leadership role applies and prepares you for a career with the company your interviewing with.

4. Touch on your technical skills.

 A portion of this answer has to address your basic skills, including computer proficiency and languages.

5. Speak about your interests, awards, and passions in life.

 This is the part of your response that makes you a person—not just a candidate.

 You and your interviewer might find that you have similar interests, which is the best way to establish a personal relationship.

 Interests are a way to anchor you in the mind of the interviewer. On your follow up email, you can speak about the common ground you two share.

Pitfalls You Must Avoid

 Do not begin to talk and talk endlessly about one particular experience. This question is designed to be answered in a clear and concise format. The interviewer only wants to hear the most important part of each of your experiences.

 Do not leave out your interests. Even if your interest is something as simple as “food”, you should list “cooking” as your interest. You may find that you and your interviewer share a passion for gastronomy, which is a great way to establish a meaningful relationship.

Did you find the information helpful?
Re: Job Seekers Corner: Searching For A Job? Click For FREE Job Search Tips!!! by CVWizards(m): 8:29am On Jul 19, 2014
Today’s Question is from Anderson.

“Good day CV Wizards. I very much appreciate the good work you guys are doing and I’m going to invite all my friends to like your page. Now to the issue at hand. I received an invite for an interview last Thursday. Actually, there was an advert for this position last year in this same company but I didn’t apply. This year again, I saw the same job advert and applied. Now I have been invited for an interview. It’s either the previous person was sacked or he died or he left for greener pastures. How can I find out why the position is vacant since I don’t know anybody in that company?”

It’s a good idea to know why the position is vacant. At least that will help you know whether or not the job will be appealing to you, considering the fact that some employers are very difficult to work with. I suggest You wait till the interview and ask the interviewer in person. Here’s how to put your question, “Is this a new position? If not, why did the previous employee leave?” Please wait till the end of the interview before asking, so that you don’t look too curious. He may not give You all the details, but from his answer You should be able to form your opinion of the company and the position.

Friends, could you please help out here. Besides asking the interviewer, what other means can be of help?

(1) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment ON GOING!! / Vacancy At Afordonz Consulting Ltd / On Air Personality (OAP) Intern - Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.