Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,999 members, 7,810,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" (4766 Views)

Woman Delivered From The 'spirit Of Madness' At Lagos Church (Photos) / Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns. / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by kayuseful: 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2014
What does it mean to “be born of water and of the Spirit”?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:5 KJV)

Just like many other words of Jesus, many have found this term difficult to explain. Even though everyone is entitled to his own opinion, we can spot out any fallacious interpretation of scripture wherever we find it if only we hold on to a guide submitting to the Spirit. Alleluia!

First, I want to say that this word "be born of water and the Spirit" should not so much worry the Christian. It never gave Nicodemus to whom that word was spoken to so much a headache in finding its interpretation as it seems to be giving most Gentile Christians today. There are proofs Nicodemus got the message Jesus was passing; and I think any Jewish man would also grab it easily because it was a Jewish terminology. But a gentile Christian may not understand it.

Straight to meaning, may we see the context?

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:3-5 KJV)

In simple terms, without Greek/Hebrew dictionary, without a theological literacy background, we can see what we need in the statements.

First, Jesus said, a man needs to be born again. But this was a strong New Creation term and the man in the talk did not seem to understand. "How can a man be born when he is old?" he replied. So Jesus was trying to explain using examples of "earthly things" perhaps he will understand. "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how shall you believe if I tell you heavenly things?" (John 3:12 MKJV). Thus, in seeking a practical explanation, Jesus began to say "Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit…"; that is, to be born again is the same as to be born of water and of the Spirit; in that one is a further illustration of the other. Hence, if you do not understand the first, you should, the second or vice-versa. One is not a "deeper level" of the other as some have presupposed. Being born of the water and of the Spirit is not a higher level than being born again. This misinterpretation probably came from Jesus' use of the word "see the kingdom" in one and "enter into the kingdom" in the other.

Except a man be born again, he cannot SEE the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot ENTER into the kingdom of God.

I believe both ("see" and "enter"wink mean the same thing; in as much as to be born again is the same as to be born of water and the Spirit. That is, when you are born again, you are born of water and of the Spirit at the same time. It is not water baptism and Holy Ghost baptism as some have also thought. "See" only speaks of experiencing, and "Enter" speaks of being launched into the kingdom experience. Therefore, to be born again is to enter the kingdom of God; and to be born of water and the Spirit is quintessentially to enter or see the kingdom of God. The kingdom being referred to here, do not seem to be heaven, but a place where people are launched into immediately they are born again.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God. (1 John 5:1 MKJV)

"Born of water and of the Spirit" speaks of spiritual washing and spiritual quickening. The best parallel text I have seen with this text is Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy HE SAVED US, BY THE WASHING OF REGENERATION, and renewing of the HOLY GHOST; (Titus 3:5 KJV)

He says, that washing/baptism is regeneration and that "of Spirit" is the "renewing of the Holy Ghost" done on the man.

Another version says:
he saved us through the WASHING in which the Holy Spirit gives us NEW BIRTH and renewal. (Titus 3:5 GW)

We are made to know that for the Christian, he has been washed (baptised) from an evil conscience; he has his body washed with pure water.

…having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies WASHED with WATER. (Hebrews 10:22 KJV)

Thus we are born of water and of the Spirit when we are born again! Nothing needs to be added to "complete" us, for "we are complete in him who is the head of all principalities" (Colossians 2:10).

Hence saint, you can rest in hope and confident assurance of what Christ has done for you, rooted and built up in Him, giving thanks always.
Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by Kei144(m): 8:09pm On Jun 30, 2014
You started well by saying that Jesus made the statement to a Jew and that the Jew obviously understood what He meant; but you ended up interpreting the whole thing from the viewpoint of today's Christian.

""Born of water and of the Spirit" speaks of spiritual washing and spiritual quickening."

Did Jews of Jesus' time understand spiritual washing and spiritual quickening? Now let us compare John 3:5 with some other statements made to Jews of Jesus' time.

Mt. 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptised, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.
Mt. 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Ac. 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Ac. 19:1 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples
Ac. 19:2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when [Or after] you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
Ac. 19:3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied.
Ac. 19:4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
Ac. 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptised into [Or in] the name of the Lord Jesus.
Ac. 19:6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues [Or other languages] and prophesied.

Most importantly, it wasn't until Jesus was baptized in water and received the Holy Spirit thereafter that God pronounced Him His Son. Jesus is the only example we must copy, and not your pastor.

1Pe. 2:21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by kuss: 11:03am On Jul 01, 2014
very simple you hear the word and you are convicted by the Holy Spirit then you are born again
water is the word of God

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by kayuseful: 1:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
@kei144, are you asking a question, or just trying to impose your opinion about it
Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On May 18, 2023
kayuseful:
What does it mean to “be born of water and of the Spirit”? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:5 KJV) Just like many other words of Jesus, many have found this term difficult to explain. Even though everyone is entitled to his own opinion, we can spot out any fallacious interpretation of scripture wherever we find it if only we hold on to a guide submitting to the Spirit. Alleluia!
First, I want to say that this word "be born of water and the Spirit" should not so much worry the Christian. It never gave Nicodemus to whom that word was spoken to so much a headache in finding its interpretation as it seems to be giving most Gentile Christians today. There are proofs Nicodemus got the message Jesus was passing; and I think any Jewish man would also grab it easily because it was a Jewish terminology. But a gentile Christian may not understand it.

Straight to meaning, may we see the context? Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:3-5 KJV) In simple terms, without Greek/Hebrew dictionary, without a theological literacy background, we can see what we need in the statements......
To be Born of Water means being baptized into the New Covenant and Law, Jesus Christ, the new source of Living water for those who are born again. Water baptism, as explained by John the Baptist in Matthew 3 vs 7 - 11 & Luke 3 vs 2 - 18 & Mark 1 vs 1 - 8 symbolizes the transition from (complete abandonment) the Old Law of Moses in order to begin anew following God's New Law and Covenant in the Kingdom of God, God's New fountain of Living Water. John referred to it as the Baptism of repentance. undecided

To be born of Spirit means to be born of the Spirit of Eternal Life, God's gift of Eternal Life which is granted to sinners who believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ in fact describes it as an actual possession of the individual by the Spirit in John 3 vs 8, and since the Spirit is Eternal Life itself, He remains with the individual 24/7 for eternity from that point on wielding power and control over the one He possesses (but not over their will). undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On May 20, 2023
kuss:
very simple you hear the word and you are convicted by the Holy Spirit then you are born again
water is the word of God
According to Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit aka the one who does the convicting you speak of cannot abide in those who are unrighteous — Holiness cannot approach unholiness. And since Jesus Christ came to call the unrighteous(unholy) to God meaning all those who he makes the offer of Himself to are in fact unrighteous(unholy) sinners, it is against Jesus Christ— antiChrist— to claim that it is the Holy Spirit aka the Spirit of Truth(holiness) who interacts with the unrighteous(unholy) in order that they may then become born-again. undecided

By the way, a born-again remains a sinner even after gaining entry into the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To “be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit?" by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On May 22, 2023
Kei144:
■ You started well by saying that Jesus made the statement to a Jew and that the Jew obviously understood what He meant; but you ended up interpreting the whole thing from the viewpoint of today's Christian.
""Born of water and of the Spirit" speaks of spiritual washing and spiritual quickening."
■ Did Jews of Jesus' time understand spiritual washing and spiritual quickening? Now let us compare John 3:5 with some other statements made to Jews of Jesus' time.
Which one is spiritual washing again? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Funny Pics About Religious People That Should Make You THINK AGAIN. (PIX) / Did Jesus use Cannabis? / Why Is Jesus Called A Savior ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.