Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun (2103 Views)

10 Valuable Things You Can Buy With N500 In Nigeria / Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data (comment Version) / Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2014
Fellow Nairalanders,

On Sunday, the 22nd of June, at exactly 1:00PM, we lost access to Nairaland's server. I immediately asked our web host to fix the problem. They refused to discuss the situation with me until very early on Monday morning, when they told me that someone hacked their server management system and used it to gain access to our server. The hacker deleted everything on our server, including our backups which we kept in a separate disk on the same server.

At that point, I knew that we had failed you in two ways: by relying on a web host which didn't follow security best practices, which led to their systems being hacked, and by storing our backups in a location where anyone who hacked our primary server would be able to access them and delete them. "Luckily", we recovered 8 years and 10 months of data out of the 9 years and 3 months of data that was lost, from a remote backup made in January.

All topics and posts created in the last 5 months are gone. All users who registered within the last 5 months will have to register again. It's awful.

The attackers probably downloaded our entire database including your usernames, email addresses, and password hashes. As a result of our use of hashing, salting, and key stretching, it won't be so easy for the attackers to steal your passwords if they are strong. However, we advice every Nairalander to please change his/her Nairaland password immediately. Please logout and then visit https://www.nairaland.com/login to use the password reset form.

You can recover your most important data using the technique below (we could not apply it automatically due to data consistency issues)
1) Search Google for the title of your thread, e.g. (title of thread site:nairaland.com)
2) Copy the URL of the page on Nairaland where the information used to reside from the search results, e.g. www.nairaland.com/123456/title-of-thread
3) Search Google's cache for that URL, e.g. enter this into google: (cache:www.nairaland.com/123456/title-of-thread)

Here's how we plan to secure your data in the future:
1) We've moved away from the host that lost our data to a very reputable host which is less likely to get hacked.
2) We've started storing our backups in remote location(s) that are completely independent of our primary server.
3) We're doing a full review of all our operations in order to greatly improve security in every way that we can.
4) We're trying to set up comprehensive disaster recovery plans so that Nairaland will survive no matter what happens.

Nairaland is no longer just Seun Osewa's lucrative hobby. It is a vital resource that Nigerians and corporate bodies rely on. It must be protected and kept alive at all costs. It deserves to be managed, not by one feeble individual, but by a robust enterprise staffed by professionals who are the best at what they do. A robust enterprise that can defend Nairaland against all threats. I will devote the rest of my year to building such an enterprise.

If you had some advertising credit in your account before the attack, please send an email to the usual address so we can sort things out.

Sincerely,
Seun Osewa.
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2014
Mr Seun,

Thank you for your explanation and telling us what really happened to our beloved forum.
But please always give us your clients the opportunity to talk or contribute our views as it concerns the development of the forum.Remember no one knows it all and without us there wont be NAIRALAND.
Every good boss always ask for opinion or feedback except you. You have done a good work building NL to this level but don't allow your ego to destroy all you've done. We understand your plight in this trying time but I've learned that things change and it doesn't mean you forget the past or try to cover it up. It simply means that you move on and treasure the memories. Letting go doesn't mean giving up... it means accepting that some things weren't meant to be always the way you want it.

Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with. And remember time waits for no one.

Carry us along lets make Nairaland a better place for us and the next generation.

Dominiquez

2 Likes

Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by kristylopezz: 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
whatever...!
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by HFOG(f): 9:03pm On Jun 30, 2014
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Exmay(m): 10:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
@Op, did you per chance chop igbo... Bloody waste of mb...
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Idrismusty97(m): 12:47am On Jul 01, 2014
I don't get the point of this thread. Is this a sermon or what?
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Nmeri17: 2:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
No unlike button yet
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 01, 2014
Exmay: @Op, did you per chance chop igbo... Bloody waste of mb...

Idrismusty97: I don't get the point of this thread. Is this a sermon or what?
grin
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by tpia1: 4:25am On Aug 16, 2014
just wondering if it was in any connected to the ebola thing.
Re: Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data By Seun by joseph1832(m): 3:24pm On Nov 13, 2023
Interesting

(1) (Reply)

(photo) New Born Baby Found In Dustbin In Enugu State / US Teenager Faces 2 Years In Jail For Giving Jesus Mouth Action / Puzzle; Who Should Go First?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.