Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. (1554 Views)

Computer Science Or Engineering - Pls, Advise. / Which Federal University Is Best To Study Mechanical Engineering Pls / Unilag`s Master Of Process Engineering, Pls Any News Abt 2009/10 Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 10:35am On Jul 01, 2014
Dear house, please I need career advice seriously. From educationists, counsellors, recruiters etc.

I'm currently in China and got to admission offers.
1. Masters in Chinese Language
2. Masters in Power System Engineering

I came here because I want unbiased opinions. Family thinks Chinese language is better (even though a part of me thinks its because its cheaper than going to the Engineering school). They gave other reasons sha apart from finance. They said China is fast penetrating Africa, developing into world economic stronghold etc.

Please can I get opinions that will help me make a valid decision from the house? If need be, I will throw more light as the thread goes on.

Thanks
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 10:43am On Jul 01, 2014
I have Bachelor's in Engineering at UNN.

Mods pls help me move this to FrontPage. I need as many views to this as possible. Thanks
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 02, 2014
Which of those two do you have more interest and passion for? Because the more love you have for your job the more interest you will have in pushing yourself further/developing yourself in the chosen field in the long run and most importantly the happier you'll be while working after earning your degree.
Although I get the feeling you love Engineering and would prefer it but you don't want to upset your family by choosing it over what they suggested for you.
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by aminho(m): 4:07am On Jul 02, 2014
Oboy i just vfinished my chinese program last week but it was not easy if u need some one to talk to call me 谢谢
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by osram(m): 6:51am On Jul 02, 2014
aminho: Oboy i just vfinished my chinese program last week but it was not easy if u need some one to talk to call me 谢谢 18344304700
maza aminho...kwana biyu ya china ne?dan allah inna bukatan taimakon ka fa
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by aminho(m): 9:25am On Jul 02, 2014
osram: maza aminho...kwana biyu ya china ne?dan allah inna bukatan taimakon ka fa
haba mai ke faruwa?china sai godiya
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 10:14am On Jul 02, 2014
@fellis: I have more passion for Engineering but I'm confident that I can do well in any of the two. My major concern is judging from the Nigerian job/ economic perspective, which one has more prospects? Thanks

@Aminho, pls check your wechat

I appreciate, pls can I have more responses?

To mods, I know this is not a love/ romance story so it may generally be considered un-interesting but pls I really need diverse views. I don't want to make avoidable mistakes. Oga Seun, pls do something.

Thanks
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 02, 2014
flyca: @fellis: I have more passion for Engineering but I'm confident that I can do well in any of the two. My major concern is judging from the Nigerian job/ economic perspective, which one has more prospects? Thanks
My opinion is that you have more job opprtunities as an electrical engineer. With your degree I believe you can work in power generation coy.s, electronic industries, construction ind.s, automotive ind.s, oil and gas, materials and metals etc, as opposed to being restricted to doing only the job of an interpreter if you study Mandarin or whichever of the Chinese Languages you plan to study. Another thing you have to know is that getting a Masters in Chinese does not guarantee that you will be qualified enough to do the job or that you will get hired. Emphasis is placed on how well you can speak; how confident, fluent and how close your accent is to the real thing and for you to gain significant amount of proficiency in Chinese language, you'd have to dedicate a lot of time to self study and self improvement because two years of learning Chinese with your Masters degree isn't enough to make you good enough for hiring, sorry. How do you dedicate yourself and your extra time to doing this for a course that your heart is not in? So I would say go for the Engineering Masters. You love it more and you already have a first degree in it and I believe their are far more job opportunities as an Electrical Engineer in Nigeria. Please still ask around for other people's opinions though, my views aren't necessarily the best.
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 1:23pm On Jul 02, 2014
@fellis: You are blessed.
I also feel that since I am in a Chinese speaking environment, it is better I do my Masters in Engineering while improving my Chinese Language alongside. That way, I get them both. I have been studying classroom Chinese for 2years now. And living within helps a lot too.

My mind is getting made up but lemme see if I can get more responses. Thanks a lot, dear
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
Glad to be of help ma'am.
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by ITbomb(m): 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
Chinese ke, you wan die as interpreter?

Go do power joor, come back home come check wetin dey do our transformer wey light no gree steady.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by Ilekokonit: 6:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
Chinese is the business language of the future and you will probably be hot cake as one of the few Nigerians that can comprehend the Chinese language.

A pointer is when the British Finance Minister says he will get his daughters to learn Chinese as a necessity.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by kennynelcon(m): 1:31am On May 12, 2015
flyca:
I have Bachelor's in Engineering at UNN.

Mods pls help me move this to FrontPage. I need as many views to this as possible. Thanks
Cool. I prefer power system Engineering, don't know what you think anyway.

Still an Undergraduate
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by DanjaNinja(m): 2:47pm On May 16, 2015
Hi @flyca, just saw your post. I am not sure if you still need advice on this issue but the tatafo in me just wants to contribute. So please forgive my aproko, buckle up your seat belt and enjoy my tinnie mini sermon.

What to study? Chinese vs Engineering

I think this issue is pretty simple. Don't waste your time doing an Msc in Chinese, a Power Engineering Degree is way better. You don't need to do a language course in Chinese to learn the language. The fastest way to learn a foreign language is to speak that language regularly and since you currently reside in china, thats a done deal.
Endeavour to regularly communicate in Chinese. Speak it. Breathe it. Eat it. Infact, catch one Chinese bobo, promise him "African noodles - indomie" in exchange for Chinese lessons. All in all,in no time, not only will you learn Chinese, you will be quoting Chinese scriptures - "Kpishan Gong gi chan...Chong JOng yun".... Please don't attempt interpreting what i just said, that's spiritual Chinese. Only my private tutorials can help in that region *shinning teeth*

As for Power Engineering, i wholeheartedly, single-handedly, APC-heartedly, MTN-handedly, Roller-skate-dedly encourage you to study it. Not only would getting a job be easier but combined with your fluency in chinese, you will be a "Bad ass hotcake engineer" aka highly demanded. Having some degree of fluency in a second language is always a plus. And the demand for Chinese would increase over time. I think that you have already positioned yourself for success given that Sino-African relations would increase ten folds as time progresses. Indeed, your parents were right - Chinese is indeed the language of the future. Just take a look at their economy - a viable yen, unbelievable population with juicy disposable income, skilled labour and impressive infrastructure.
The way i see it, there will be lots of international firms who would need Chinese-speaking engineers like yourself. So my dear, face-book, study engineering, learn Chinese, have fun and be the best you can be. I pray you find success in all that you do. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 3:03pm On May 16, 2015
DanjaNinja:
Hi @flyca, just saw your post. I am not sure if you still need advice on this issue but the tatafo in me just wants to contribute. So please forgive my aproko, buckle up your seat belt and enjoy my tinnie mini sermon.

What to study? Chinese vs Engineering

Lol. You just put a huge smile on my face. The post is an old one. And I've made a choice. Bless you sir.
Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by DanjaNinja(m): 11:09pm On Aug 04, 2016
Its been a year since i commented and someone just liked my post. So glad my comment is still helpful. cheesy cheesy cheesy

@flyca how body na?

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by flyca: 2:23am On Aug 06, 2016
aminho:
Oboy i just vfinished my chinese program last week but it was not easy if u need some one to talk to call me 谢谢 18344304700
And two years after, I eventually meet this nice dude smiley

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. by aminho(m): 7:34am On Nov 26, 2017
osram:
maza aminho...kwana biyu ya china ne?dan allah inna bukatan taimakon ka fa

yane dan uwa shiru kwana biyu

(1) (Reply)

Do Unilorin Accepts Two Waec Results With Different Year?? / ABU Zaria Cisco Academy Produces First Netrider In Nigeria / Uniben Supplementary Form For Student Not Eligible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.