Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Getting A Life- Safarigirl - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Getting A Life- Safarigirl (29680 Views)

Getting A Life / Unwanted- Safarigirl / Oscar Wilde : A Life Of Scandals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 12, 2015
Safarigirl, pls come and update!
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by dherbee: 8:19pm On May 02, 2015
yes! update!!!
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 02, 2015
I must say that your write up surpasses all other write ups I've come across on this site. SG you're damn great. Please don't stop the good work. I've got your back...
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by harjibolar10(m): 10:03am On May 18, 2015
TODAY THE VOTING OF MISS NAIRALAND ELIMINATION ROUND 1 COMMENCES AND TWO OF OUR LITERATURE-LANDERS ARE PARTICIPATING..THEY ARE ONE OF US, LET US SHOW THEM SUPPORT BY CLICKING THIS LINK
https://www.nairaland.com/2320383/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-elimination
AND TYPE:
I VOTE ADEH39
I VOTE MARIAMFERANMI
I VOTE AIPETEE2
Cc:nljega
Tanx for your coperation
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by tosindelaw(f): 2:48pm On May 19, 2015
okay, its official, am hooked to reading safarigirl, i have been reading all your stories for about two hours now. i love the way you write. PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee update biko. thank you
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 19, 2015
HELLO MY FELLOW LITERATURELANDERS, THIS
IS ADEH39, SHE'S ONE OF THE LADIES
CONTESTING FOR THE MISS NAIRALAND
POSITION. I WANT TO SAY A VERY BIG AND
SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU ALL....... YOU GUYS
REALLY MADE MY DAY. I MADE IT TO THE
THIRD ROUND!!!!!!!!!! I GOT THE SIXTH
POSITION...... 122 VOTES. I DIDN'T DO IT
ALONE, YOU WERE THE ONES THAT MADE IT
POSSIBLE. I AM REALLY HAPPY. I REALLY
APPRECIATE IT. YOU GUYS ARE ONE IN A
TRILLION. PLEASE I STILL NEED YOUR
SUPPORTS...... TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY!
PLEASE PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE TOMORROW
TOO. PLEASE LITERATURELANDERS ARE MORE
THAN 122, KINDLY CAST YOUR VOTES FOR ME
TOMORROW. 122 VOTES WON'T TAKE ME TO
THE NEXT ROUND TOMORROW!!!! PLEASE I
KNOW YOU GUYS CAN DO IT, YOU MADE IT
HAPPEN LAST YEAR, MAKE IT HAPPEN THIS
YEAR TOO. PLEASE SUPPORT ME BY VOTING
FOR ME.

KINDLY CLICK ON THIS LINK AND VOTE ADEH39

https://www.nairaland.com/2324981/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-final#33908984
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by ElArchana(f): 6:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
Safarigirl plz i beg of u come back n finish d work, plz
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by ethereal(f): 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2015
Safarifirl!!!!?....
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by ElArchana(f): 10:42am On Nov 06, 2015
In the name of God, n ur mama n papa na hin i take beg u, pls cum n finish dis story 4us pls, d article means alot to me pls, save my lyf by feeding me more of dis story oo, plsss sis safarigirl plssss

1 Like

Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
safri please am here also come and update pls
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by itzMizELo(f): 12:46am On Dec 22, 2015
pls update sad
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by omoekiti6(m): 9:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
if i'm nt gonna lie i signed up for nairaland because of safarigirl's getting a life story u really great mate *thumbs_up* pls i cant wait for the remaining part of the write up i'm F unsetteled here
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Fijumokesayo(f): 4:05pm On Mar 18, 2016
Hey Safarigirl, how have you been? How is life outside Nairaland? Just checking on you... Stay blessed!
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by Omotayelolu(f): 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2016
Hey Safarigirl, how have you been? Hope the exam wasnt stress. Pls dont for to post here. Thankz
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by iamdeejayscar(f): 9:26am On Apr 02, 2016
Please come and update na cry cry nd pls update Tormented these are my to favourite stories cry cry cry cry kiss
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:49pm On Apr 05, 2016
And....we're back!....kinda smiley

"Selly? Are you alright?"

Tai's voice calling out to her in a more concerned tone, broke Selly out of her spell. She rushed to the door and opened it just as he was poised to knock again.

"Hi" she spoke, a little breathlessly.

"You certainly don't look like someone who's got a hangover" he said as he stepped into the rather dark house. The blinds were all drawn closed which would explain the lack of light inside.

"I feel better now" she replied.

"Really? Cuz when Chuks called me, he sounded like you were a barf away from the emergency room" he replied with a smirk.

Selly couldn't catch what he said as her mind had drifted to her conversation with Chuka. Was it true what he said? Did Tai really love her? It was hard to tell his emotions as he was quite passive in nature, so she couldn't point out any hints to determine that. She stared at him wondering if a relationship with him past these early stages was even feasible. Didn't she have too much baggage to be in a relationship? And him, his somewhat jovial nature presented him as one who couldn't have a moment of seriousness.

"Selly? Are you with me?"

She noticed he had moved close to her while she had been in thought, she shook her head to clear it of stray thoughts, "Yes?"

He placed warm hands against her cheeks and pulled her face to look directly at his flawless one, "Are you sure you're OK?" He repeated, his voice was laced with seriousness this time and his eyes filled with a concern that made her uncomfortable.

She moved away from his touch rather self-consciously, "I'm fine." She replied, she turned to him, noticing the confused look on his face, she felt a little bad. He was here to care for her and all she could remember was Chuka's words minutes to his arrival.

She sighed, "Okay, I'm a little worked up, but otherwise, I'm fine Tai" he gave her a look of uncertainty as though he couldn't trust her words, "Really" she added emphatically

An extra pause was all it took before he let it go, probably figuring it would be a futile attempt to prod her any further, "You do know you can talk to me about anything, right?"

She wasn't so sure of that. How would she explain to him that her dead fiancé was playing match maker for both of them and that she conversed with him a lot? He would probably think she had lost her mind, whoever heard of talking to ghosts? Or even worse, he'd laugh at her, then she'd just look silly. No, she definitely would have to hold this off.

A small smile framed her face, "Yes. Would you like anything to drink?" She asked, the conversation had gone on as far as was necessary.

"Well, considering the news I have for you, drinks are in order.” He gleamed.

She turned curious eyes to him, “And what news is that?”

He took he hand in his and pulled her along to the sitting room, “Come.”

She ignored the warmth that seemed to pass through her at his touch and followed him, her curiosity rising every second. What had him so excited?, “So? What is it?” she asked as soon as they sat.

“Well, I started this drawing some weeks back that was inspired by you. I was hoping to start another comic with it, you know? Something new and exciting. And I did, I drew it up, I swear I’ve never done anything so good, and guess what?” he asked excitedly.

She raised her brows at him, she wanted to share in his excitement, but she had lost him partially when he said he started something inspired by her. How could she inspire anyone who drew comics? She could barely inspire herself to get out of bed and get a job, how much more someone else? She noticed he was waiting up for her answer, so she did what she did whenever she never got the question but wanted to cover up, “What?” she asked with a forced smile.

“The board loved it. They approved of it as soon as I finished giving the presentation, isn’t that great?” he asked.

She nodded in agreement, “Of course, it’s awesome! I’m so happy for you.” She replied with a genuine smile this time. His eyes looked so bright and he had a massive grin on his face that just called out to her. She couldn’t remember ever seeing him this excited, so this approval must have meant a lot to him

He took her hand in his, “And I owe it to your beautiful self.” He raised her hand to his lips and placed a light kiss upon her palm, “Thank you so much, for being you.”

She tried to maintain her smile, but it fell just a little. She could see how much he adored her, did she feel that way about him? Chuka’s words some minutes ago came to her and she found herself having an inner battle. What was she doing with Tai? Where was this going? Was she only giving him a chance because he reminded her of Chuka? What kind of person would that make her? A user? No, but she wasn’t using him, she….liked him. He entertained her, he kept her occupied and he was nice to her. He didn’t demand anything from her and even till now that surprised her greatly, many other men would have been in her space, making unsavoury and unwelcome demands from her much too soon. He didn’t mind that she mostly zoned out on him during conversations, he didn’t hound her over her mood swings. He was good to her- much too good.

“Thank you.” She said softly, her voice was so light, it was almost like a whisper. He paused and looked up at her, once she was certain she had gotten his attention, she smiled at him, it wasn’t a large smile by any means, but it was enough so that her deep appreciation reflected in it, “Thank you for liking my scattered, emotionally-wrecked self.”

He smiled and shook his head at her, “I don’t think ‘like’ is the perfect word to describe what I feel for you Selly” he murmured.

She froze hearing the comment, he had spoken loud enough for he3r to hear him, but not so loud she would assume he was speaking directly to her and he had made sure to not keep eye contact.

He noticed her change in demeanor and looked up at her, “Did I say something wrong?” he asked as if he hadn’t just dropped a bombshell with the suave of a seasoned gentleman.

She wasn’t sure how to react to what had just gone on in a space of two or so minutes. Should she be frazzled? Concerned? Clueless? It would be best if she just acted like he hadn’t said wha5t he said- at least to him. she wasn’t willing to acknowledge that possibility, not when Chuka said it and certainly not when Tai did either.

She shook her head, “No, no you didn’t” she suddenly withdrew her hand from his as if their contact scorched her and stood up, “I’ll…go get those drinks.” She finished, wiping her sweaty and trembling hands on the hard fabric of her jeans. She walked briskly to the kitchen to fix the drinks for them without taking as much as a glance back to look at him.

What the hell was going on in her life and why couldn’t she control it? everything kept spiraling out of her control and leaving her in a state of quagmire. There was a time she had everything planned out on a daily basis and everything agreed with her and happened as planned, now, she couldn’t even get something as insignificant as the toaster to work with her.

She shivered at the thought of establishing a proper relationship with Tai, it wasn’t that he wasn’t a good man, he was good, there simply weren’t many young, gorgeous, ambitious, career-focused and funny guys anywhere around and by any definition, Tai was a golemine, but hadn’t she hit one of those some years ago? Hadn’t she planned out everything down to the finger food that would be served at her baby shower with that man? And what had become of those plans? It had taken the youthful exuberance of a misled teenager to send it all into smoke- thick, black, choking smoke. Was there any point in making any plans with another man who was a replica of the first? Hadn’t she resigned herself to loneliness over eight months ago? Where was the sense in hoping that this time, things would go different and he wouldn’t be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time? Why was Tai trying to build up her hopes when she knew very well that nothing would come of it?

She shook her head to clear herself of thoughts of the man sitting in her living room, but as she mixed the drinks, she realised that they were the real drug she needed to clear her head of unwanted thoughts

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by nicholausian(m): 5:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hey safarigirl,
Some how, I stumbled upon this story and I was instantly blown away. The beginning was so crafted to catch us (readers who just skim through the first paragraphs hoping to find interest).
Your s/e/x scenes are thrilling; shows your ingenuity as a proser.
The fact that your story's setting is a city - I'm not sure you stated the name - in America and you are able to pull it off, is very applaudable.
There are however some minor errors I'd like to point out:
* In the first date between Tai and Selly - that 'double hang-out', Tai is said to be wearing blazers, but the colour of this blazers went from an initial burgundy to navy blue then to gray, in just the space of several paragraphs. Perhaps, you had a break between writing that part of the story...
* In that bar where Selly and Linda went to celebrate her new job, Selly met some spooky guy - Daniel - whom you said had "that smooth baritone that reminded her of Robin Thicke" . For pete's sake, of all people, Robin Thicke - the singer - does not have a baritone. Tenor, high tenor? Yeah.
Also, sometimes, Linda sounds like a black girl. White girls are often like... well... white girls? They may talk raw sometimes but they are not likely to go all 'y'all', if you get what I'm saying. There are particular slangism related to the blacks of America and she kind of sounds like that especially in the beginning when they come to take Selly out, perhaps it's infinitesimal.
And in that same line, Selena isn't Nigerian right? 'cos she sounds Nigerian to me sometimes.
I know you've been writing this since 2014, in between studies and everyday life, but you've managed to keep it standard, and fight off bouts of writer's block. Your story shows a lot of hard work and talent. This is beautiful, kudos.
Ehn, thanks for updating after all this while, keep it up.
Re: Getting A Life- Safarigirl by ElArchana(f): 3:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
Like seriously this is wickedness na, y are u denying us diz great story, pls n pls cum back n give us more, thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

All I've Never Wanted... A Novella / Crazy Hannah - By Lady C / Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.