Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,935 members, 7,956,516 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:13 PM

Headline News - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Headline News (714 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Headline News by oluwasedago: 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2014
On my way to work on the early hours of Tuesday 3oth June 2014,as usual, newspaper hawkers paraded different papers; some of them had sports; the Brazil 2014 world cup match between Nigeria and France as their headlines written boldly but a few caught my attention.

“Many feared dead in Bauchi”
“Boko haram attacks Chibok village and kills many”
Incidentally, the driver of my bus tuned the bus radio to the popular “koko inu iwe iroyin” (headline news) a Bond FM morning programme and their news confirmed the headline I had just read.
Boko Haram had attacked Chibok again, many killed and nearby villages were also attacked, churches were attacked and worshippers were killed. Another report also confirmed a bomb was found near a mosque the day before… Gist started in the bus, people, as usual, started stating their opinion about the government, their judgment filled the air and blames were shared around. I inserted my earphones into my ears and decided to console myself by listening to some music, I went numb, I went sad.
I logged onto twitter to catch up with my morning tweeps and this was what I saw…

Well, the sad mood didn’t last long, sports news and gists on twitter took over and other things occupied the mind. This is the sad tale of my country in this present time, everyone has simply become a “WALKING DEAD” and all the government owes us is the headline news. Nigerians have learnt to stop asking for the basic commodities of life, we provide that for ourselves. Now we beg to live. I read everyday how people say be “security conscious”, infact that’s the song on everybody’s lips now and its good advice but I wish there was a better training for the citizens to achieve that. The security agencies have failed us, they are better trained (well might not be equiped ) to deal with this not us civilians. Personally, I don’t even know what an IED looks like, no one has ever shown me one except the ones I see in the “24” (oh who has the complete season 9?)
Imagine the case of the people in the Barnex plaza in Abuja, their security wasn’t in their hands, infact they reduced the casualities by not allowing the car enter into the plaza, it was in the hands of the forces who were on the route the car passed till it got to its destination.
Sadly, people are already dead, the government has condemned the violence as usual and promised to bring the perpetrators to book, sometimes I wonder if the book is not full yet. Enough blame can go round. As I write this, I see another trending news of an explosion in the Maiduguri market. These things no longer marvel us, it has gotten to the stage whereby it is just news on the paper or TV. Our humanity has been hurt, Our life has become a lotto – “e fit be u o”
My questions now is; “when will these stop?” “do we continue to live like this and just expect to die anytime?” “Are we near any progress of ensuring these barbaric acts stop?” “Are we going to keep forgetting the dead until the fresh corpses litter our streets again?”
Reports say more than 6000 people have been killed between january and june 2014 through this Boko Haram menace, WOW! That number is scary! Not to forget our girls who are still in captivity and might have forgotten what freedom tastes like.
I am writting this piece to charge up individuals and groups who have what it takes to do something. Thank God for Mama Ezekwesili and other patriotic Nigerians who still keep the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls fresh on twitter and other social media, if not, many of us would have forgotten about the girls.

Well, let the people who think it is APC keep blaming APC and people who think it is PDP keep blaming PDP, I can only pray that majority of Nigerians should start thinking beyond the level of education we receive in school. My religion says when prayer doesn’t seem to solve a problem more prayer is needed, so for people like me, I’ll resort to that until I can have more capacity to make a change than this piece of write-up.
I pray the government does not owe you and I the HEADLINE NEWS.

(1) (Reply)

Oko Poly Calls Off Strike? / The Name Of This Artwork?? / #nigeriansathogwarts Trending For Over 24hrs On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.