Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' (1300 Views)

Branding Nigeria: Mastercard-backed I.D. Is Also A Debit Cardand A Passport / 10-year-old Boy Escaped Ritual Killers In School / This Lagos! 10-year-olds Smoke Hemp In Ajegunle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by eduxerxes: 7:58am On Jul 03, 2014
If you want to name your baby girl Harriet,
don't live in Iceland.
The country recently denied 10-year-old
Harriet Cardew's passport renewal request
because her name doesn't comply with
Icelandic baby naming laws. Her name doesn't appear on the approved list of 1,853 female and 1,712 boy names, The Guardian reports. Icelandic laws state that unless both parents are foreign, they must submit their name choice to the National Registry for approval within six months of birth. The name must fulfill requirements that include "Icelandic grammatical endings," "linguistic structure of Iceland" and "Icelandic orthography."
"That's the problem with Harriet," Harriet's
father, Tristan Cardew, told The Guardian. "It can't be conjugated in Icelandic."
Lilja and Belinda, two of the couple's four
children, have their names on their passports because they were born in France. However, Harriet and her brother Duncan, 12, were born in Iceland, but did not have their names approved by the committee.
So Tristan and his wife, Kristin, appealed.
"They have deprived our daughter of freedom of movement," Kristin told visir.is.
Baby name "bans" might sound crazy in a
country where they're unheard of, but
governments all over the world set naming
guidelines. Baby-naming site, Nameberry,
reports that countries like Germany and Italy won’t allow common American names such as Anderson, Duke, Maya, Tom and Sarah. "In fact, some of these are not long-standing
strictures, but relatively recent ones," wrote
Nameberry’s co-founder and naming expert
Linda Rosenkrantz.
The Cardews could bypass the name block by changing Harriet's middle name to an Icelandic one, but the family thinks it's too late. Instead, they applied for an emergency passport from the British Embassy where dad Tristan is from. He finds the name approval process absurd.
"The whole situation is really rather silly," he said.'

Re: 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by justi4jesu(f): 8:01am On Jul 03, 2014
He finds the name approval process absurd.

Being absurd is an understatement.

1 Like

Re: 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by Dubby6(m): 8:03am On Jul 03, 2014
Even when i wanted to go to panya, they didnt allow me because my name is mikel lipsrsealed sad angry
Re: 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by AbuMikey(m): 8:36am On Jul 03, 2014
this thrash is as fuckkked as John Mikel Obi's cluelesness
Re: 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 03, 2014
So how can I help?
Re: 10-year-old Icelandic Girl Denied A Passport Because Her Name Is 'harriet' by eduxerxes: 6:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
Dubby6: Even when i wanted to go to panya, they didnt allow me because my name is mikel lipsrsealed sad angry
make una free my big bros na! At least he didn't score an OG! grin

(1) (Reply)

10 Bizarre Ways People Tried To Start Their Own Country / Be My Val! / Meet Ramarni A Black Child Who Now Has The Highest IQ In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.