Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website (795 Views)

How To Make a DESKTOP Executable Software Using PHP,MYSQL,SQLITE / Connecting Basic4android And Sqlite Database / How To Deploy An Embedded Sqlite Db (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website by Ajibel(m): 7:52pm On Jul 03, 2014
I know this might be unappealing to web programmers as this isnt a popular choice buh I intend to use sqlite in a production environment for a change on a site Im developing with python-django. I understand sqlite has issues with concurrency buh the site wouldnt require people writing to its db, I'd only need to fetch data to visitors based on request... Just want to know if anyone here has used this db for a "live" site and is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks.py
Re: Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website by Chimanet(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2014
I wont advice you to use it, even in the django website, it was mention their. you know how file databases work. when you open a file to read from it, no other can read from it untill you close it. so the concurrency is not just when you are writing to it. it is also their when you are reading from it. Most web servers are multithreaded in nature
Re: Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website by umaryusuf(m): 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
Sqlite is mostly used for mobile/Android and desktop apps.

For web look further.
Re: Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website by Ajibel(m): 7:08pm On Jul 04, 2014
Chimanet: I wont advice you to use it, even in the django website, it was mention their. you know how file databases work. when you open a file to read from it, no other can read from it untill you close it. so the concurrency is not just when you are writing to it. it is also their when you are reading from it. Most web servers are multithreaded in nature

Uhm, thanks... I didnt come across the bolded as a challenge facing sqlite when I went thro' their website. Infact the creator boasted that the db can withstand more than 100k visits at a time. My desire to use it was cuz the app Im developing wont require any form of user interaction and the admin page would be administered by a User
I'd look into ur other points as well. Up until nau, Im a MySQL'er and maybe thats why I know not of all these issues and limitations buh using it for the project nau looks like an overkill embarassed
Re: Using Sqlite As The Db To A Low-traffic Website by Ajibel(m): 7:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
umaryusuf: Sqlite is mostly used for mobile/Android and desktop apps.

For web look further.

Yep true, Ive used it once for a gui app... Buh we cant rule out the fact that it can support our web needs in rare case admittedly

(1) (Reply)

Start Learning Python For Total Begineers / Add Text Watermark For Photo Protection / Photography Courseā€¦.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.