Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,325 members, 7,819,111 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? (855 Views)

Glo Bolt Modem Is A Fraud. . .pls Dont Buy It / How Can I Unlock Glo Bolt Modem E303 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by Fulaman198(m): 9:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
This is a much debated debacle. As some of you know, Thunderbolt ports used to be Apple/MacOS X proprietary ports up until last year when Intel introduced them to PC.

They are known for their incredible throughput output when a device is connected to them (much like an external HD or SSD) and transferring data. In any case, I wanted to link an article that puts thunderbolt head to head with USB 3.0. Happy reading fellow geeks:

http://gizmodo.com/5980157/thunderbolt-vs-usb-30-the-definitive-showdown
Re: Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by Bawss1(m): 12:14am On Jul 05, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong; Is it right to say Thunderbolt/Lightening is Apple's proprietary port? How can they be proprietary when they are made by Intel? Apple just opted to use them on their products.

As it stands now USBs are king of the hill when it comes to market penetration, virtually all computers and many mobile devices come with USBs. Though, from available data, USB 3.0 is fast it cannot match Thunderbolt speeds
Re: Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by Fulaman198(m): 1:04am On Jul 05, 2014
Bawss1: Correct me if I'm wrong; Is it right to say Thunderbolt/Lightening was Apple's proprietary port? How can they be proprietary when they are made by Intel? Apple just opted to use them on their products.

As it stands now USBs are king of the hill when it comes to market penetration, virtually all computers and many mobile devices come with USBs. Though, from available data, USB 3.0 is fast it cannot match Thunderbolt speeds

It is right in a sense to say that Thunderbolt was a proprietary port because PCs were not using them until more recently. Just because someone makes hardware or a port for someone else, it does not mean it isn't proprietary. An example of this are Apple's A-chips, Apple is obviously not a hardware manufacturer. Samsung makes Apples A chips (A7, A8, etc.) but they are still considered Apple chips.

Correct that all computers use USB ports. They are cheaper to manufacture and produce. Thunderbolt ports have higher throughput though. Having a higher throughput though does not justify its ridiculous price point.
Re: Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by Bawss1(m): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2014
^ The A series chips are proprietary because they are made for and designed by Apple. Samsung's role in its manufacture is akin to Foxcon's in building iphones; they cannot lay any claim to the technology and any other OEM that wishes to use it will have to enter into some kind of licensing agreement with Apple. T-Bolt on the other hand is designed by Intel and anyone can use it as long as they settle with Intel not Apple. (My thoughts though)

I didn't even know about T-Bolt/Lightening till Apple announced the iPhone 5. Since then I assumed that it was Apple that designed it from scratch. Asides Apple what other OEMs of note use T-Bolt. It is an impressive technology but will be a niche product without strong support from industry giants.
Re: Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by Fulaman198(m): 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2014
Bawss1: ^ The A series chips are proprietary because they are made for and designed by Apple. Samsung's role in its manufacture is akin to Foxcon's in building iphones; they cannot lay any claim to the technology and any other OEM that wishes to use it will have to enter into some kind of licensing agreement with Apple. T-Bolt on the other hand is designed by Intel and anyone can use it as long as they settle with Intel not Apple. (My thoughts though)

I didn't even know about T-Bolt/Lightening till Apple announced the iPhone 5. Since then I assumed that it was Apple that designed it from scratch. Asides Apple what other OEMs of note use T-Bolt. It is an impressive technology but will be a niche product without strong support from industry giants.

Asus, Lenovo and Acer have laptops with thunderbolt ports.

Lenovo's ThinkPad Edge S430 and Acer's Aspire S5 ultrabook are just a few on the list.
Re: Now This Is Interesting: Thunder Bolt Vs. USB 3.0 Who Wins? by LordReed(m): 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2014
Most people I know thought T-bolt is Apple exclusive so we never bothered. I remember when it was first announced for an Apple product it was the to die for tech but since we thought it would only be packaged in Apple products we weren't in much hope of getting it. Well here is hoping the costs come down, not much use if nobody uses it.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How To Enable System Restore If Disabled By Group Policy Or System Administrator / How Can I Make Money From The Internet / Partnership Opportunity (in Nigerian Banking Industry) for ICT Solution Provider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.