Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study (2680 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. / The Cost Of Marrying An Mbaise Imo State Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Meziem1010(m): 10:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
I am an Igbo boy, Ezinihitte Mbaise to be precise. I have an intention of marrying from among my people when time comes. But fear always gripe me whenever i think of what it takes to marry one of our ladies. And don't even think of living with one ilegally cos, God forbid she dies, u will be made to marry her corpse b4 burying her. My matanal uncle was lamenting recently that he don't know how to give his inlaws to be, the list given to him by his kinsmen. The worst is that the list is now in two; one for an educated girl while the other, for the uneducated. Please brethen, what do we do, what way 4ward?
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2014
Lool dis z insane....dis so called kinsmen dat gvs d list....dey dn't even knw aw d scapegoat (bride) came in2 dis wrld...aw she was trained...dey jez jump awt of nowhr wen marriage z announced.....dis z xo nt gd...........plz kinsmen (dats ef dre z any hr) stp chasin away our prospective husbands away biko....tho m 4rm Abia.....ourz z no way diff..........Haba!
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Meziem1010(m): 12:04am On Jul 05, 2014
U beta tell them if not, all our ladies though beautiful will soon become 'nna ga alu'.
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
LOL
Na una own be dat cheesy

And which one be all this marrying of courpse again? Necrophilia mehn lipsrsealed
O boy I dey fia igbo people O. Una own just too much.

I would advise any igbo person who considers themselves a christian to denounce a lot of these cultural practices.
....But as I have seen, majority (not all) of Igbo are generally traditionalists who would rather follow archaic/paganistic culture than look at things from the perspective of their faith and common sense.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Idowuogbo(f): 10:59pm On Nov 24, 2014
Marry her corpse ke? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Marry her corpse ke? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

To flip this shite around,
Imagine now say one family bring one guy corpse say dey want one girl from iboland to marry it.
The family will pay the girls bride price/list everything no matter how expensive....only that she marry the corpse.
I won't be surprised if her parents and kinsmen agree (all dem so-far-i-shop)

Na these kind fawkup tinz dey fear me with igbo people.
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 25, 2014
Please brethen, what do we do, what way 4ward?
Stay single as long as possible grin

1 Like

Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 27, 2014
Zeemoor:

Stay single as long as possible grin

Zeemor, you haven't still told me your brideprice.
Why are you delaying? OR do you want to marry yourself? angry grin
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 27, 2014
2buff, ogini? grin
I don't even remember you asking me about it
2buff:

Zeemor, you haven't still told me your brideprice.
I can't marry myself, ain't no Grace Gelder
If you want, I can mail you the long list and the bride price itself(let me tell you up front, it's non-negotiable)
cheesy

Why are you delaying? OR do you want to marry yourself? angry grin
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 27, 2014
Zeemoor:
2buff, ogini? grin
I don't even remember you asking me about it

I can't marry myself, ain't no Grace Gelder
If you want, I can mail you the long list and the bride price itself(let me tell you up front, it's non-negotiable)
cheesy

As a hawt yoruba girl I know you won't too cost like that so no wahala grin
Since your parents will be handling the traditional, let's do that one first and thing of white wedding much much MUCH later.

We need to keep this as low cost as possible angry
This is neccessary so we can afford to go to paris for our honeymoon. cheesy
Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 27, 2014
'Illegally'?? You have a choice; choose not to abide by what you don't believe in, or don't try marrying what you can't afford. Ndo.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
2buff:

As a hawt yoruba girl I know you won't too cost like that so no wahala grin
Since your parents will be handling the traditional, let's do that one first and thing of white wedding much much MUCH later.

We need to keep this as low cost as possible angry
This is necessary so we can afford to go to paris for our honeymoon. cheesy

What can be worse than dating/marrying a stingy man like 2buff?

You're the classic example of a Close-fisted Edo man grin

(1) (Reply)

Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group / African Americans Returning To Motherland / The Hypocrisy On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.