Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Woman Who Wanted Bigger Buttocks But Had Her Limbs Amputated Warns Other Women - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Woman Who Wanted Bigger Buttocks But Had Her Limbs Amputated Warns Other Women (1164 Views)

Kano Girl With No Limbs Carried In A Bowl (Photos) / DISTURBING PHOTOS: Man With The Largest Feet In The World Wants Them Amputated. / Ancient Trees' Twisted Limbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Woman Who Wanted Bigger Buttocks But Had Her Limbs Amputated Warns Other Women by 9jaflave: 11:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
I shared the story of Apryl Brown sometime last year. She is a mother of two who lost her hands and feet after a surgery to enlarge her buttocks failed. Instead of a curvier behind, she was left in agony and eventually had to undergo 27 surgeries to have her buttocks, legs and arms amputated after a black market practitioner injected her with industrial grade silicone, commonly used in bathroom sealant.

Now the 47-year-old is devoting much of her time to speaking out and encouraging others to think twice about what they let someone inject in their bodies and seek out skilled professionals.‘All I would ask them to do is, when you have that first thought, make sure they have a second thought about it and do a little research. And if they still want to do it, go for it,' she said. 'They won’t be blind-sided, saying, “Oh, my God, I had no idea that a simple procedure like that can leave me with no hands, no feet and no butt cheeks.'

Apryl has had to learn to do everything all over again with prosthetics and has learned to live on her own with the help of an aide who comes in to help her for a few hours a day. She has even competed in the Pasadena Triathlon and while she doesn't want people's pity, she does want them to listen to her cautionary story. Despite the heavy price she paid for cheap surgery, Apryl says that she's recovering and is determined to enjoy the rest of her life. 'Now it's just different. Now I don't just wake up and jump up on my legs, I wake up and snap on my prosthetics. The hands, that's more challenging because you don't really realise how much you do with them until you don't have them.'

She also hopes others will learn from her story and offers this advice to those contemplating surgery: 'Don't ever do anything without researching it and definitely don't ever do anything on the black market. It's not about how you fall down. It's not about making choices that are not catastrophic. It's about knowing how to get up. 'And the only thing that will ever make you feel better about yourself is feeling loved. That you are enough, no matter how it looks, what it is or how it feels, that it's enough.'

http://9jaflave..com/2014/07/woman-apryl-brown-who-wanted-bigger-buttocks-limbs-amputated-warns-others-of-dangers.html#more

(1) (Reply)

15 Things You Don’t Owe Anyone At All (though You Think You Do) / Nigerian Air Force Begin Taking Delivery Of State-of-the-art Mi35m Helicopters(p / Trailer Load Of Corpses Carried From Synagogue Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.