Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,538 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Messi Awaits His Belgian Nemesis. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Awaits His Belgian Nemesis. (616 Views)

Arsenal Star Awaits His Time Of Come-back / Tom Saintfiet, A Belgian Is Super Eagles Tech Director For $20k Monthly / Belgian Coach Applies For Eagles Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Messi Awaits His Belgian Nemesis. by And9: 10:53am On Jul 05, 2014
Though it might seem not obvious at first sight, the worlds of football and comic books have quite a few
things in common, namely heroes and villains and the vital ingredients of suspense, excitement and
improbable deeds.
And just like cartoon heroes, the invincibles of world football also have their weak spots. Lionel Messi is a
case in point. The saviour of Argentina at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, La Pulga will come face to
face with his very own Achilles heel this Saturday at the Estadio Nacional in Brasilia, where Belgium
keeper Thibaut Courtois will be doing his level best to keep Messi goalless for the eighth time is
as many meetings.
“I know very well how to play against him,” said the towering 22-year-old custodian, who was a big
reason why Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid had a significant edge over Barcelona last season. Courtois
certainly seems to have Messi’s number. The scorer of six goals in their first few meetings, La Pulga has
lost his scoring touch whenever the big Belgian has stood in his path in the last 18 months.
Seven Spanish La Liga, UEFA Champions League and Spanish Super Cup games have gone by since the
Argentinian ace last put one past Courtois on 16 December 2012. The closest Messi came to ending the
hex was in the second leg of last season’s Super Cup, when he struck the bar with his nemesis beaten.
“The good thing about getting to know his game so well is that I don’t even have to watch videos of him
anymore,” the keeper told ESPN, before adding: “There’s not much point in watching them anyway,
because you just can’t predict what Messi is going to do. If he wants to find a gap when he’s firing off a
shot, he’ll find one. The only thing I can do is keep my focus the whole time.”
Despite the hoodoo, there is an air of optimism in the Argentinian camp. Speaking to FIFA , former coach
Carlos Bilardo, who guided La Albiceleste to victory over Belgium in their victorious campaign at Mexico
1986, said: “Messi is the best player in the world right now, I’m convinced about that. He’s going to have
a big part to play, just as he has been doing.”
The scene is set, then, for another showdown between Messi, who has four goals and one assist to this
name at Brazil 2014, and Courtois, whose record reads two goals conceded in Belgium’s four games.
Like any good comic book plot, the latest duel between the two promises to be gripping. All that remains
to be seen is who will emerge the hero and who will be cast as the villain.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Fifa Ban, Govt. Didn’t Interfere Unduly In Nfa, Says Sports Minister / Commonwealth Games Federation Queries Nigeria Over Inconsistent Jersey Use‎ / Rihanna Wants To Buy A Football Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.