Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? (950 Views)

PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
Is it wrong to have pictures of Jesus in your homes, under your pillow or in your school bag and all of that? To start with, No one truly knows what Jesus looks like, what we have is what we "think" he looks like. Over the years pictures have been created and passed down generations till a standard image of Jesus was created, such that when we look at the picture we say/conclude that that's how Jesus must have looked like.

I have heard a true life story of someone's near death experience, and the little guy claimed Jesus was nothing like what we pictured...i don't know if it cause He's now in heaven or not, but my point is, Should we even keep a supposed image of Jesus? Would God have wanted it so? Did he ever command the Israelites to do that in the olden days? Did He ever tell Moses when he saw Him face to face to seat and paint Him then give the Israelites to hang it in their homes and on their beds and all of that?

Can Jesus be reduced to a two-dimensional image? Is the bible not enough guide as to who Jesus truly is, both inside and out?

Deuteronomy 4:15-19 says,
15 You saw no form of any kind the day the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the fire. Therefore watch yourselves very carefully,
16 so that you do not become corrupt and make for yourselves an idol, an image of any shape, whether formed like a man or a woman,
17 or like any animal on earth or any bird that flies in the air,
18 or like any creature that moves along the ground or any fish in the waters below.
19 And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars – all the heavenly array – do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshipping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.

So why are there images of Jesus everywhere? If you claim there is nothing wrong, like i said before, why was there never a form of God for the Israelites in the olden days. All they had was the Ark Of Covenant and the laws which God told them to wear. But in our days there are painted images and pictures of angels and Jesus whereby people end up worshiping the created things rather than the creator.

1. The short form of all my long talk is: Is it wrong to have pictures of Jesus? Pls give reasons for your answers

2. My dad has always had issues with some pastors. For example, it's Christmas or Church Dedication or a Celebration and the church has to give out souvenirs. On the souvenirs, drawn big and bold is the face of the pastor, and his wife and sometimes the kids, then the name of the church. With no reference to Christ at all. My dad always felt these pastors were taking glory for themselves which to him is very wrong ...Do you think so too? What would be the best way of printing out church souvenirs without making it seem like the pastor is taking glory for the work of God
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
The pictures that pass as the pictures of the Jewish Jesus are false.
Jesus - if he existed - looked nothing like that.

Whether it is "moral" or not is your cup of tea.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by tintingz(m): 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yes, it is very wrong to keep pictures of Jesus .

All this pictures of Jesus we see is just a strange white european guy with blue eyes and blonde hair .
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by delishpot: 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
Its wrong unless its the real picture of Jesus as in if jesus has his real picture taken by an angel and shown across the sky to mankind then its ok to have that one. Then I also hate when pastor puts his face nd that of his wife on sunday service IVs.
I understand if its their wedding, or child dedication or other personal stuff. But to invite people to come worship God and then display ya photo? To me its not a wise step
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Tallesty1(m): 2:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
Jesus, Mary, etc didn't snap pictures. What you see today is not their picture but pictures of foriegn gods. We certainly don’t need a picture to display the nature of our Lord and Savior. We have only to look at His creation, as we are reminded in Psalm 19:1–2. We were not given the details of what He looks like because it is not really needed. If the details of His physical appearance were important for us to know, Matthew, Peter, and John would certainly have given us an accurate description, as would Jesus’ own brothers, James and Jude but the didn't
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 3:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
Jesus didn't exist?
Apatheist: The pictures that pass as the pictures of the Jewish Jesus are false.
Jesus - if he existed - looked nothing like that.

Whether it is "moral" or not is your cup of tea.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yea, that's my point
tintingz: Yes, it is very wrong to keep pictures of Jesus .

All this pictures of Jesus we see is just a strange white european guy with blue eyes and blonde hair .
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 3:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
hehehe, actually annoying sha...but then, if they don't put their faces...and we can't put Jesus face because is not actually Jesus face....then what should be kept there?
delishpot: Its wrong unless its the real picture of Jesus as in if jesus has his real picture taken by an angel and shown across the sky to mankind then its ok to have that one. Then I also hate when pastor puts his face nd that of his wife on sunday service IVs.
I understand if its their wedding, or child dedication or other personal stuff. But to invite people to come worship God and then display ya photo? To me its not a wise step
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
Make sense
Tallesty1: Jesus, Mary, etc didn't snap pictures. What you see today is not their picture but pictures of foriegn gods. We certainly don’t need a picture to display the nature of our Lord and Savior. We have only to look at His creation, as we are reminded in Psalm 19:1–2. We were not given the details of what He looks like because it is not really needed. If the details of His physical appearance were important for us to know, Matthew, Peter, and John would certainly have given us an accurate description, as would Jesus’ own brothers, James and Jude but the didn't
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Bvsteph: Jesus didn't exist?
It hasn't been proven scientifically.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by delishpot: 3:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
Bvsteph: hehehe, actually annoying sha...but then, if they don't put their faces...and we can't put Jesus face because is not actually Jesus face....then what should be kept there?

Gods name. That is all. Let God convince a man to come to him. That is the best way. You are invited to Gods presence das all tgey should write and the name and address of the church and let God do the rest.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Bvsteph: 4:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
Has your tomorrow been proved scientifically? Yet does that mean it would not happen?
Apatheist:
It hasn't been proven scientifically.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
Bvsteph: Has your tomorrow been proved scientifically? Yet does that mean it would not happen?
So I will live forever? cool
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jul 07, 2014
where did you get the real pic of Jesus? guy no hang demon's pic abeg
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Weah96: 3:10am On Jul 07, 2014
Jesus was not a handsome man. He was built like a middle eastern villager, or a marauding bum. Judas had to pick him out with a kiss, which indicates that he looked like the rest of the villagers and fishermen he was hanging out with. The handsome guy in the photos is just a recreation based on artistic bias. Nobody wants to serve the ugly God.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by advocate666: 11:25am On Jul 07, 2014
No.
It helps a lot of gay people. wink
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 07, 2014
Tallesty1: Jesus, Mary, etc didn't snap pictures. What you see today is not their picture but pictures of foriegn gods. We certainly don’t need a picture to display the nature of our Lord and Savior. We have only to look at His creation, as we are reminded in Psalm 19:1–2. We were not given the details of what He looks like because it is not really needed. If the details of His physical appearance were important for us to know, Matthew, Peter, and John would certainly have given us an accurate description, as would Jesus’ own brothers, James and Jude but the didn't

not foreign gods but what the artist wanted them to look like
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Pictures Of Jesus? by charlsecy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 07, 2014
Some of the modern images are pictures of a British actor, Brian Deacon, who featured in a 1979 movie, titled "Jesus."

(1) (Reply)

An Expose On Pastor Chris Okotie / Commonsensical Request To Seun And Mynd44 / Pope Francis Prays In Istanbul’s Blue Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.