Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,005 members, 7,956,721 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:29 PM

Reasons Why I Am In Medical School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why I Am In Medical School (2031 Views)

Six Types Of Students You Will Meet In Medical School. / Some Facts About Medical Students And Medical School #pictures / Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why I Am In Medical School by macsika: 11:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hopefully my previous post hasn’t scared off any great future doctors out there. And if you’re already in medical school–cheers to living the dream! Here are my reasons for staying:

1 I love helping hurting people grin
If you’re like me, your heart breaks at the sight of a stubbed toe… ok, more like a congenital tracheoesophageal fistula. But you want to hug it all away, mentally/emotionally, for the less demonstrative types. Crying alongside patients who have lost physical functions, family members, or their dreams = comforting sick people = medicine.

2 I can’t picture life outside of a clinical setting.
And you don’t remember a time when you weren’t sporting a plastic doctor kit. My CRNA mom gave us the birds and the bees talk when I was six and my sister was four–Netter style. Emergency intubation? I’ma come along. Gummy bears? I’ma perform brain surgery.

3 Transplant, tumorous, pregnant, amputated gummies. All sorts out there.

The above criteria is satisfied and…
Some inner aspiration or undigested bit of broccoli within me says,”Learn all life long! Delay gratification for a couple six more years! Become creative, caring, independent leader in local community!”

(Inner voices may be proof one can OD on vegetables.)

4 I hope that my today doesn’t look much different than my tomorrow.
What counts is community, faith, family and friends, and health, so I try to work medicine around that. A rising second year gave the best advice last summer to treat medical school as an eight to five job.

5 Much of the whining around a physician’s hours concerns life choices. Before medical school, did you truly put family and friends before that research abstract? In medical school, did you skip breakfasts during a week-long cram session? I liken getting to the gym or church or soup kitchen to climbing Mt. Everest. Backwards. On a good day. During some pseudo holiday break of sorts.

6 Becoming a doctor can’t be any less scary to a 20 something year old than trying to figure out what to do with the rest of life. And who knows? I might just have fun grin

Stay tuned for other fun post wink

Re: Reasons Why I Am In Medical School by Dubby6(m): 11:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
I rili hate seeing wounded ppl...dead ones scare d shit outta me...i hate medicine
Re: Reasons Why I Am In Medical School by delishpot: 11:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
Try my brother, may you have all you need to achieve your happy dream. Pkele. Read well o, if you pass well, I buy you a car. smiley. Good boy, make mom and dad proud.
Same goes to all other students pursuing education unu. Dishike.
Re: Reasons Why I Am In Medical School by Xenisha: 4:20pm On Nov 09, 2022
I fully agree with the user above. Think logically why would you buy a master's degree? What will it give you? You will not be able to heal people normally and will most likely only harm them due to the fact that you do not have enough knowledge. If I were you, I would rather go through UCAT Practice http://medicmind.co.uk/ and enter some good university, and only after graduating would I start a medical practice.
I hope my answer will make you change your mind.

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Registration Access Code / Lautech: Admission To Postgraduate Regular Courses 2014/2015 / Number Of Candidates That Scored 200 And Above In JAMB 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.