Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,984 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? (2444 Views)

Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 / Whats The Fate Of An Oracle Database Administrator In Nigeria / What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by Youngzedd(m): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
What are the programming languages, a database administrator should know?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by spikesC(m): 10:42pm On Jul 07, 2014
Mainly SQL

Then you practice on different databases to learn there particular commands.

But i would advise you go deeper into data analysis
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by digitite: 12:55pm On Jul 08, 2014
Learn Database languages for BigData for future IT. I can't really recall them all, but I suppose they include Cordova, Cassandra, and other NoSql languages and so on...
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by spikesC(m): 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
digitite: Learn Database languages for BigData for future IT. I can't really recall them all, but I suppose they include Cordova, Cassandra, and other NoSql languages and so on...

BigData has relatively nothing to do with database administration.

Cordova is a mobile development framework.
Cassandra is a database.
Nosql is database specific commands and most are sql based.

You just dey throw big big words around grin

2 Likes

Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by Urine: 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

Cassandra is a database.

I don laugh touch my landlord wife booby. The bros just dey show us all the big words wey e don see for book.
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by digitite: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

Cassandra is a database.

Hmm, see this Cyborg ooo cheesy

How can you say Big data has nothing to do with Database ? Are you really serious ? Why do they have the shared word 'data' in between them. Is it not as a result of big-data that Tech companies are shifting to Cloud computing/Storage ?

Cordova being a mobile development framework : isn't database included in the mix ? Tell me one app/website that doesn't have to do with storing data ?

Even if NoSql were influenced by Sql, at least, they are being improved and differentiated for a purpose and that is for Big data sake...

Guy widen your net. IT is changing fundamentally. In fact, it is now termed the New IT cool
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by spikesC(m): 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
digitite:

Hmm, see this Cyborg ooo cheesy

How can you say Big data has nothing to do with Database ? Are you really serious ? Why do they have the shared word 'data' in between them. Is it not as a result of big-data that Tech companies are shifting to Cloud computing/Storage ?

Cordova being a mobile development framework : isn't database included in the mix ? Tell me one app/website that doesn't have to do with storing data ?

Even if NoSql were influenced by Sql, at least, they are being improved and differentiated for a purpose and that is for Big data sake...

Guy widen your net. IT is changing fundamentally. In fact, it is now termed the New IT cool

First of all, lets get one thing straight. The OP is asking about Database Administration not about data analysis.

I never said BigData has nothing to do with database, but that it has "relatively nothing to do with database administration"
That 2 words share the same composition of sentences, doesn't mean they are related nor reference the same topic of discourse.

I would have loved to debug you further grin but i see no need to. I would just advise you delve into IT and research more.

Nevertheless

from wikipedia:

Big data is a blanket term for any collection of data sets so large and complex that it becomes difficult to process using on-hand database management tools or traditional data processing applications.

while

A database administrator (acronym DBA) is an IT Professional responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrading, administration, monitoring, maintenance, and security of databases in an organization.

The role includes the development and design of database strategies, system monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. They may also plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard the database.

New IT indeed grin

1 Like

Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by digitite: 3:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

First of all, lets get one thing straight. The OP is asking about Database Administration not about data analysis.

I never said BigData has nothing to do with database, but that it has "relatively nothing to do with database administration"
That 2 words share the same composition of sentences, doesn't mean they are related nor reference the same topic of discourse.

I would have loved to debug you further grin but i see no need to. I would just advise you delve into IT and research more.

Nevertheless

from wikipedia:

Big data is a blanket term for any collection of data sets so large and complex that it becomes difficult to process using on-hand database management tools or traditional data processing applications.

while

A database administrator (acronym DBA) is an IT Professional responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrading, administration, monitoring, maintenance, and security of databases in an organization.

The role includes the development and design of database strategies, system monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. They may also plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard the database.

New IT indeed grin

He specifically asked for New Database Languages to learn and not necessarily Database Administration per say... They are of different approach.....

Database/Lanaguages concepts are intertwined... They are being streamlined everyday. If you think New IT is a joke...

In few years time, you will still be singing same Kumbayah song shocked Why are we too mediocre in Naija/Africa huh ?

Abegi, IT changes everyday..In fact, no typical IT professional will tell you they are perfect. No body sabi pass...So stop sounding like say you be IBM pikin a.k.a Watson wink

And please, don't always rely on Wikipedia for steady knowledge, especially the role of IT that changes everyday sad
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by spikesC(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
digitite:

He specifically asked for New Database Languages to learn and not necessarily Database Administration per say... They are of different approach.....

Database/Lanaguages concepts are intertwined... They are being streamlined everyday. If you think New IT is a joke...

In few years time, you will still be singing same Kumbayah song shocked Why are we too mediocre in Naija/Africa huh ?

Abegi, IT changes everyday..In fact, no typical IT professional will tell you they are perfect. No body sabi pass...So stop sounding like say you be IBM pikin a.k.a Watson wink

And please, don't always rely on Wikipedia for steady knowledge, especially the role of IT that changes everyday sad

hmmmmm, this one is strong.

brother, lets not degenerate to insults.
i've been trying to place terms in order for you, though being witty, but you seem to think am trying to insult ur intelligence.

you're mixing so many things up, thereby making so many mistakes.
your come back posts do not qualify for any points.

But i'll try to help again.

The OP specifically asked this question:

What are the programming languages, a
database administrator should know?

so i do not know where you got "not necessarily database administration"

That IT is evolving doesnt mean BigData don change meaning to Database administration

You have a scratchy knowledge of IT, most people do, but that do not give you a pass to talk about what's mediocre and what's not.

You're probably a service user, just like everyone who sits on a desk, clicking links and buttons from 9 to 5.

Therefore, you're not in any way qualified to advise the OP nor tell me what and what not to lift from wikipedia #noOffense

btw, wtf is new IT grin
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by spikesC(m): 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2014
Damn, what am i even doing

for the fact that you mentioned cordova in a database thread is enough to put you in your right place angry
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by digitite: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

hmmmmm, this one is strong.

brother, lets not degenerate to insults.
i've been trying to place terms in order for you, though being witty, but you seem to think am trying to insult ur intelligence.

you're mixing so many things up, thereby making so many mistakes.
your come back posts do not qualify for any points.

But i'll try to help again.

The OP specifically asked this question:

What are the programming languages, a
database administrator should know?

so i do not know where you got "not necessarily database administration"

That IT is evolving doesnt mean BigData don change meaning to Database administration

You have a scratchy knowledge of IT, most people do, but that do not give you a pass to talk about what's mediocre and what's not.

You're probably a service user, just like everyone who sits on a desk, clicking links and buttons from 9 to 5.

Therefore, you're not in any way qualified to advise the OP nor tell me what and what not to lift from wikipedia #noOffense

btw, wtf is new IT grin

You are the one that is contradicting yourself without being specific.. Your best bet was to copy and paste from Wikipedia. Why didn't you elaborate in your own words and technical knowledge.... If my info is so sketchy, why did you pick on it : why not advice him on the ones you invented cry

Look down and help yourself first... If you are so keen on IT. Why haven't you developed the next Google cheesy...

Real guys in IT lifts each other up.... Not show off for nothing angry

If you don't know what new IT is - Abeg don't show me nonsense.

Park well bros cool
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by Youngzedd(m): 6:58pm On Jul 08, 2014
Please its okay.

I have grabbed what I needed to, but more views from others will be appreciated.

Thanks @All
Re: Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? by Nmeri17: 12:10am On Oct 03, 2014
digitite:

(1) (Reply)

CBT Software For Secondary Schools / How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? / How Do I Start As An Andriod Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.