Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,803 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise (590 Views)

Car Key Stuck To Ignition (honda Civic 2001) / 18 Wheeler Truck Destroys A 4Runner In A Collision / My Car Key Won't Enter Ignition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise by powersunny: 9:36am On Jul 08, 2014
On sunday, I parked the vehicle for like 3 mins to buy something. Upon starting it again, the key refused to turn. I thought i didn't press it in enough. I removed and try again, still same thing. I pressed my brake harder and retried. After like four attempts, it started. On monday(yesterday), my wife dropped our child at school, came back in and parked. She wanted to restart it immediately to straighten the front tires and got same issue i had previous day. She said she adjusted steering and tried severally and it started.

This car has not given me any issue since i got it in January. It is regualrly serviced and no single light on the dashboard, including check engine. Is there something simple that i am ignorant of? Car gurus in the house should please advise, as i want to be proactive about this and don't want to start having bitter experience with naija technicians who may turn the car upside down for a non-issue. Please help.
Re: 2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise by kingschild123(m): 9:47am On Jul 08, 2014
Before trying anything, check that your parking brake is on. You don't want to roll away while you're overly focused on getting the key to turn!

2 Apply pressure to the key and turn the steering wheel back and forth to attempt to find a free spot where the key turns. A very common reason for the key not turning in modern cars is that the steering column lock can be in a bind. When this happens, you'll need to exert pressure against the ignition mechanism and persist until it unlocks. For those with a sense of humor, this is often called "the steering wheel jiggle."

3 If you have an automatic transmission, check and make sure the selector is in park. Some cars will prevent you turning the key if the selector is in any position other than park or neutral; it can be easy to overlook this when tired or in a hurry.

4 Clean and lubricate the lock cylinder. Spray a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner to flush away dirt and grime, followed by a quick spray of silicone or a drop or two of liquid graphite to lubricate. Be careful not to allow it to drip on upholstery or carpet. Keep the car open to prevent accumulation of fumes, and avoid sparks and open flames. Once you've added enough lubricant, try again.

5 On some lock cylinders, a tumbler may bind in a locked position, and the springs are unable to to push it back out. Firmly tapping the face of the lock cylinder can release the stuck tumbler. A tack hammer is about the perfect size and weight for most key cylinders.

6 Check the key itself. Place the key on a very flat, solid surface, and observe if it lays flat or is arched up from the surface either at the ends or in the middle. If it looks crooked, take a block of wood, or some similar hard object which to strike the key and bend it back to a flat shape. Do not use a hammer or other steel or hard metal object, as the key is made of fairly soft metal such as brass, and the grooves may be damaged when it is struck.

7 Tap the key. Tap the end of the key, while in the ignition, with a hammer or hard object while attempting to turn the key. Warning, watch out for your fingers.
Re: 2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise by powersunny: 11:28am On Jul 08, 2014
@kingchild123, thanks for the informative post. Seems number 2 works for me. I hope it wont be more that steering jiggle. By the way, it is automatic.
Re: 2000 4runner Ignition Locking Momentarily! Please Advise by kingschild123(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
You are most welcome.

(1) (Reply)

How Well Do You Know Your Peugeots? / I Need Advice With Regards To The RX 300 / Price Of Parts And Contact Of Reliable Sources Needed For Toyota 2003 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.