Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks (40402 Views)

Please View And Rate My Cakes... Thanks / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? / How do i Make Cakes Last For Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks by ibidun2: 9:52am On Oct 08, 2008
please i'm a baker and i had problem the last time i made some, i discovered they couldn't last more than five days,
i usually use squadron brandy or 501 brandy.
PLease wht can i do to make it last.
Re: How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks by AmakaOne(f): 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2008
If you wrap it tightly a fruitcake will freeze very well. If you really want it to last I'd recommend wrapping it in several layers of plastic wrap, then putting that in a ziplock freezer bag. (If you baked it yourself, you should make sure it's completely cool before wrapping.)

How long it will last will depend on the cake. A really bready one, like most grocery-store fruitcakes, will develop freezer-burn after a month or two.

A hard-core old-time fruitcake, made with lots and lots of dried fruit and soaked in alcohol, tightly wrapped, will probably be safe for six months or more in the freezer. Fruitcakes like that were designed to last; that was the reason they were invented.
Re: How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks by yebarbie(f): 4:44pm On Oct 21, 2008
If you want your cakes last long, Just don't add milk.
Replace the milk with the same quantity of water as milk doesn't really do much for cakes. It's actually the milk that makes it spoil on time.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks by bakeuhappy: 3:52pm On Jan 01, 2013
add preservative 2 it n make sure ur cake is properly cooked n cooled on a wire rack
Re: How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks by PrettyCindy(f): 1:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
Try this- after baking your cake, let cool completely then make little wide slits on the cake (all over the top of the cake), pour teasponsful each of brandy or whatever rum you have into the slits. Allow for a few minutes to let the cake absorb the rum, then refrigerate or freeze. Even without freezing, the cake will keep well at room temperature for upto 2weeks.
When my younger sister was going back to school sometime last year, i baked a cake for her and two weeks after she had gone back, she called to say she was still eating the cake, and she stored it in her locker. The rum even adds great flavour and improves the taste of the cake.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How I Urgently Made a Combination of Crayfish Stew With Eggs. / See The Food I Prepared In My Girlfriend's House. / A Dubai-Based Nigerian Lady Fried Eggs With Rays Of The Sun (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.