Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,377 members, 7,815,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels (1389968 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY AUGUST 25, 2016

INITIATIVE

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace..." (Ruth 2:2)

Three brothers were hired by the same company the same day. Three years later, Jim was being paid $500 a month, Frank was receiving $1,000.00 but George was making $1,500 a month. They were all given the same instruction to go to the airport and get an inventory of the cargo plane which was just brought in by the importers.

Jim collected information on the telephone, he never went. Frank went to the airport and carried out the information as instructed. George, apart from getting detailed information, took further actions by making contacts, sold some of the items at profits.

Initiative means seeing something that needs to be done and doing it without being told. Ruth took the initiative to fend for herself and her mother-in-law. Most scientific and technological breakthroughs are the results of personal initiatives. Your initiative matters a lot in your family, church or school.

Challenge: "Do something needful"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to do the needful"

Quote: "Your initiative matters a lot"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 25:14-19

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:50am On Aug 26, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY AUGUST 26, 2016

SUFFERING SEASON

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience..." (Romans 5:3,4)

When a mother eagle builds her nest, she starts with thorns, broken branches, sharp rocks and other unsuitable items. She lines it with a thick padding of wool, feathers and fur from animals she has killed, making it soft and comfortable for the eggs. When the growing birds reach flying age the comfort of the nest makes them reluctant to leave. The mother eagle begins to stir the nest, pulls up the carpet of fur and feather thus bringing the sharp rock and branches to surface to make the nest uncomfortable for the young eagles. Eventually, this and other urgings prompt the growing eagles to leave their once-comfortable abode and move on to a higher life.

Suffering brings out the best in man. John Bunyan wrote Pilgrim's Progress from jail. Suffering comes with great opportunities. It promotes spiritual maturity. Like the case of Joseph in Egypt, it proves our integrity and forces us to look up to God. Whatever God permits in our lives, will surely work out for our good at last.

Challenge: "Suffering is not to suffocate us but to strengthen us"

Prayer: "Help me not to suffer in vain, o God"

Quote: "Suffering brings out the best in man"

Further Reading: 1 Peter 2:21-23

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:44am On Aug 27, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY AUGUST 27, 2016

MAKE THE NEXT MOVE

"And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward" (Exodus 14:15)

One of Robert Sculler's hobbies is raising Koi fish. Some grow big while some remain small. According to him, the size of the pond determines the size of the fish. In a small tank, Koi fish grows up to three inches long. In a large pond, ten inches long while in a larger pond, 18 inches long but in a huge lake where they can swim and stretch, they grow up to three feet long.

He inferred that little ideas in little thinking minds produce little achievements, while little ideas embraced by big thinking minds produce great achievements.

This is instructive to youths who desire excellence. Esteemed user of this devotional, it is time to forge ahead; leave your shallow water of disappointments and launch into the deep with faith for achievement. You must think big, study hard and you will migrate from mediocrity to excellence.

Challenge: "Face your future with faith and confidence"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to move forward towards excellence"

Quote: "You must think big"

Further Reading: Philippians 3: 13

See more at:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY AUGUST 28, 2016

GOD: THE GREATEST GIVER

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy" (1 Timothy 6:17)

There are records of people who put their confidence in the rich only to be disappointed. Some youths have suffered disappointment from rich relatives thus either losing admission to institutions of higher learning or dropping out of school. Have you been a victim? There is hope for you. The Bible says, "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man" (Psalm 118:8.).

God will never disappoint those who trust in Him. This is because He has everything, He can do all things and He is loving and kind. Our text admonishes us to trust in God, the Giver of all things. He is the solution to all our needs. He gave His Son, Jesus Christ, to save us from sin. Through Him, God has promised to supply all our needs.

Your greatest need is the salvation of your soul. Surrender your life to Christ today, He will receive you and bless you in all areas of life. Testimonies abound of hungry believers who prayed for food. Pronto! The food was delivered by people God directed. He is the greatest Giver!

Challenge: "Surrender your life to God the greatest Giver"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to trust you to supply all my needs"

Quote: "God, the Giver of all things"

Further Reading: Lamentation 3: 24-26; John 3: 16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:25am On Aug 30, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY AUGUST, 29 2016

SEEK AND SAVE SINNERS

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19: 10)

A story was told of a Pastor and his 11 year old son, John (not real name), who went for evangelism on Sundays. One cold rainy Sunday, John got ready to go but his father was unwilling. John insisted on going because of his compassion for sinners and was permitted. He went and distributed his tracts. Coming to the last house he knocked persistently until an old woman responded. Smiling, John gave her the last tract saying, "Jesus loves you." The old woman attended service the following Sunday, testifying to how God used John to save her soul, and from committing suicide. The Pastor and his congregation glorified God on her behalf.

As you read this devotional, remember, the great commission is Christ's mandate to every believer. Right where you are at school or workplace, souls are perishing and going to hell. Is it nothing to you? Like John, overcome all barriers to sharing the gospel with the unbelievers. Rewards await you for every soul won for Christ. Throw out the lifeline to the perishing.

Challenge: "Reach out for perishing souls today"

Prayer: "Please Lord; make me a faithful soul winner"

Quote: "Rewards await soul winners"

Further Reading: Daniel 12: 3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:58pm On Aug 30, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY AUGUST, 30 2016

PRAYER AND PRAISE

"And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them" (Acts 16: 25)

Commenting on the scripture, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, 18, Matthew Henry asserted "If we pray without ceasing, we shall not want matter for thanksgiving in everything. We shall see cause to give thanks for sparing and preventing, for common and uncommon, past and present, temporal and spiritual mercies. Not only for prosperous and pleasing, but also for afflicting providences, for chastisements and corrections; for God designs all for our good, though we at present see not how they tend to it."

In our text, Paul and Silas were set free from prison as they prayed and sang praises to God. There are great possibilities in prayer and praise so be encouraged. No matter the challenges confronting you, be they spiritual, emotional, academic and financial, they will bow when you pray and praise God in faith. Don't succumb to the devil. Surrender your life to God and live for Him to ensure continued answers to your prayers.

Challenge: "Make prayer and praise a way of life"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to pray and praise you without ceasing"

Quote: "Challenges bow when you pray and praise God"

Further Reading: Philippians 4:6; 1 John 5: 14, 15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:08pm On Aug 31, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 31, 2016

BOUNCE BACK FROM BACKSLIDING

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee" (Luke 15:18)

According to a writer, the Prodigal Son did not really know who his father was and his love for him until he left home. Looking back, he thought, 'I left the best thing I ever had.'

After ending up in a pig pen he realised himself and thought 'This is not how I was meant to live.' At that point, his life took a dramatic turn. When he returned home, his father threw a big party. When the Prodigal Son realised who his father was, and his love for him, then he could celebrate.

The question is how many Christians really know God and the depth of His love for all? A backslider is full of his own ways. But whether your backsliding is in the heart or is now open to all, you can bounce back to faith by confessing and forsaking your sins. God will restore you and heaven will rejoice. Consecrate your life to God; give yourself to His Word, prayers and witnessing, and you will experience the presence and power of God.

Challenge: "Confess and forsake your sins and return to God"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to walk with you without backsliding"

Quote: "A backslider is full of his own ways"

Further Reading: Proverbs 28: 13; Jeremiah 3: 12-14

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by Praisegodalways: 1:12am On Sep 01, 2016
Check out @astageforpraise on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for the latest Christian material!!
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:07am On Sep 01, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2016

SALVATION FROM SIN

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Romans 10: 9)

Joe Stowell, a Pastor's son, testified that his father preached the return of Christ every Sunday of each New Year, emphasising the same point: 'This could be the year that Jesus will return. Are you ready to meet Him?' At age 6, Stowell heard the same message and was not sure he was ready. Convinced that his parents were, he also wanted to be. Enquiring how he could be ready, his father expounded the Scriptures to him and he surrendered his life to Christ.

What a challenge to every youth! How long have you heard the salvation message without yielding? Are you ready to meet Jesus? You may think you are alright because you are born in a Christian home or community. Stowell was a Pastor's son and recognised his need for Christ. Like Stowell, embrace Christ today by confessing and forsaking your sins. He will receive you and you’ll spend eternity with Him.

Challenge: "Christ is coming soon; surrender your life to Him today"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, forgive my sins and make me your child"

Quote: "Embrace Christ now"

Further Reading: 1 John 1: 5-10

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:09pm On Sep 02, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2016

BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM

"Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ … even so we also should walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4)

Articulating what he perceived as dangers ahead of Christianity, William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army in England in the 1800's said; "I consider that the chief dangers which will confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Spirit, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. Booth's predictions are realities in our time and are warnings for every Christian.

To be buried with Christ implies that you have died with Him (died to self), to walk in newness of life. Your life must be Christ-like, pointing other youths to Him. Seek to be baptised by immersion, sanctified and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Maintain these Christian experiences by consistent study of God's Word, fervent prayers and witnessing for Christ. Flee all youthful vices so that like Paul, you can say that by Christ "the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world."

Challenge: "Be a signpost for Christ, drawing other youths to Him"

Prayer: "Help me Lord, to walk in newness of life to the end"

Quote: "Walk in newness of life"

Further Reading: Colossians 3: 1-17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:11am On Sep 03, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2016

PURGED FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE

"If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use..." (2 Timothy 2:21)

Gorden MacDonald wrote about his spiritual convictions from authors who asserted that Christ's followers do not grow because they don't evaluate their lives. MacDonald said of himself; "I was always on the go, never looking deeply inside. I never did the type of reflection that leads to growth, and I was paying the price-committing the same sins over and over, living with the same heavy load of guilt." Convinced that there were benefits in keeping a spiritual diary of his walk with God, MacDonald decided to assess his soul's condition each day.

This is a challenge to Christian youths who live careless lives. As a Christian youth, are you involved in the sin of lying, cheating, deception, fornication, and the like? In sin, you can't be a vessel of honour, sanctified and meet for God's use. Like MacDonald, examine your life in the mirror of God's Word. Confess your sins now and God will purge you for high yield performance.

Challenge: "To be used of God you must be holy"

Prayer: "Purge me of all my sins Lord, and use me"

Quote: "Examine your life in the mirror of God's Word"

Further Reading: Psalm 139: 23, 34; 2 Timothy 2: 19-22

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2016

SPIRITUAL GIFTS FOR SERVICE

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal" (1 Corinthians 12: 7)

According to Matthew Henry's Commentary, "Spiritual Gifts are bestowed that men will with them profit the church. They are not given for show, but for service; not for pomp and ostentation, but for edification; not to magnify those that have them, but to edify others."

There are diversities of gifts, differences of administration and diversities of operation but all are from God. The measure and proportion in which they are given is according to the sovereign pleasure of God. They are a trust in the hands of the believer to profit withal and to bless others.

To go higher everyday in God's service, we need the spiritual gifts. Earnestly covet and pray for them. Do not trivialise the gifts or magnify them above the Giver. Don't make them redundant by not exercising them if you have them. Use them to edify and serve the Church in holiness and humility. Apostles Paul and Peter used theirs well. Be a faithful steward as you exercise your gifts.

Challenge: "Serve and edify the Church with your spiritual gifts"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to manifest spiritual gifts in holiness"

Quote: "Do not magnify the gifts above the Giver"

Further Reading: 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2016

SHINE LIKE THE SON

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness..." (John 8: 12)

The Rjukan of Norway are said not to see natural sunlight from October to March because of its location among sheer mountains and its northern latitude. To improvise light for the town, the people installed large mirrors on the mountain to reflect sun rays and beam sunlight into the town. The uninterrupted glow is made possible because the giant mirrors rotate with the rising and setting sun. This scenario exemplifies how Christians should shine and illuminate their communities.

Our text reveals that Jesus is the Light of the world. He declared to His followers, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid" (Matthew 5: 14).

As a Christian youth, radiate the light of the Son (Jesus) on your campus, in your school, work place and community, living an uncompromising life among everybody. Abstain from all evil and let your life reflect Christ so that sinners will be drawn to Him.

Challenge: "Reflect the Son and shine like Him"

Prayer: "Lord Jesus, help me to live like you in this sinful world"

Quote: "Radiate the light of the Son"

Further Reading: Matthew 5: 14-16; Ephesians 5: 8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:26pm On Sep 05, 2016
The Rjukan of Norway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXMPvdDhmZI

Our live revolves around the Son. smiley
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47am On Sep 06, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2016

FAIL NOT TO FELLOWSHIP

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another..." (Hebrews 10:25)

In his book, Peace with God, Evangelist Billy Graham states, "Christianity is a religion of fellowship. Following Christ means love, righteousness, service, and these can only be achieved and expressed through social relations. These social relationships are to be found in the church." Seeing that Christian fellowship is very important, it must be embraced by all believers.

Listening to radio messages and watching television or internet religious broadcasts cannot substitute for it. "There is nothing more unchristian than being a solitary Christian," said John Wesley. Fellowship helps to build one another up, and raise godly standards in the society. Also it is a good source of encouragement, edification and exposure to God's Word.

If you don't fellowship, you'll become weak and Satan's agents can easily deceive and trap you until you die spiritually. That is not your portion! The Psalmist said, "I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord" (Psalm 122:1).

Challenge: "Satan always hates Christian fellowship"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to fellowship with my brethren"

Quote: "If you don't fellowship, you will become weak"

Further Reading: Acts 2:41-47

See more at:

1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Sep 07, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2016

FAILURE IS NOT FINAL

"And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the right, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net" (Luke 5:5)

I would like you to read this striking admonition by Norman Vincent Peale, "No matter what mistakes you have made-no matter how you've messed things up-you can still make a new beginning. The person who fully realises this suffers less from the shock and pain of failure and sooner gets off to a new beginning."

In our text of today, Peter and his partners in business had spent all the night fishing and they caught nothing. They concluded that the endeavour was a failure, and were washing their nets to go home. However, the coming of Jesus changed the sad story to a joyful one. At Christ's word, Peter and Company changed from failure to success.

You too will succeed! You might have toiled unsuccessfully all your life and you are about to give up. Turn your life over to Jesus and surely, your miracle is on the way. We shall end with this quote from Winston S. Churchill, "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Challenge: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, give me grace to persevere to success"

Quote: "You too will succeed"

Further Reading: Philippians 3:13-14

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07am On Sep 08, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2016

IN THE STORM WITH THE SAVIOUR

"And they came to him, and awake him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water and they ceased, and there was a calm" (Luke 8:24)

A preacher once declared that being in the presence of Jesus "does not guarantee the absence of danger." However, with Jesus, nothing can harm you-remember Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fire of King Nebuchadnezzar.

In our text above, Jesus was sailing on the same ship with His disciples when the storm hit. The storm in the text has been referred to as a fierce gale. A gale has the speed of between 63km/39mi and 87km/54mi per hour. The disciples were terribly afraid. All they could imagine was death. But Jesus rose up to the occasion and stilled the storm.

Are there storms in your life? Ensure that Jesus is with you and you will have nothing to fear. A hymn writer says, "Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go." Beloved, go in that might!

Challenge: "With God, all things are possible"

Prayer: "Lord, arise and calm the storms of my life"

Quote: "With Jesus, nothing can harm you"

Further Reading: Mark 4:35-41

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On Sep 09, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2016

SILENCE THE OLD SERPENT

"Submit yourselves therefore to God, Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7)

In my book, The Overcomer, I stated that, "Although the fact of temptation is an undeniable one yet the believer who chooses to be an overcomer can be victorious in the midst of fierce temptations." Yes, temptation is common to all men, irrespective of our spiritual state, socioeconomic status, age or race. Youths, are tempted by the devil to indulge in social vices such as stealing, fornication and drug abuse. However, you can stand firm and resist the devil.

Nathaniel Parker Wallis said, "No degree of temptation justifies any degree of sin." That old Serpent cannot floor you like he did Eve. Avoid objects and places of temptation. Most times, temptation comes subtly in our unguarded moments. Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ was also tempted but he silenced the devil with the Word of God. We must have the Word of God dwelling richly in us. In addition, we must be prayerful, watchful and abide in Christ continually. With Christ on our side, victory is sure.

Challenge: "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you"

Prayer: "Help me Lord, to be watchful and resist the devil"

Quote: "Stand firm and resist the devil"

Further Reading: Luke 4:1 -13

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:51am On Sep 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iv5zgVbK70
Higher Everyday
Friday, October 24, 2014

IT IS WELL

"Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? Is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well" (2 Kings 4:26)

Have you ever lost what is so dear to you? Have you been dispossessed of what you have sought for, waited for, and prayed for? Then I will ask you another question, what were your reaction, perceptions and confessions about it? This Shunnammite woman has just lost her son, which came when she no longer hoped for it. But listen to her confession: “It is well.”

Always confess positively As a young person, no matter what situations you are passing through in life, in your academic, spiritual, family, social, relationship or secular life, learn to run to God, believing that He can do all things. Unflinching faith in Christ will herald uncommon blessings in your life. Have the right attitude and confession today as you go out this morning and God will surprise you and bring solution your way.

Challenge: "Where do you run to, who do you believe and what do you confess in times of trouble?"

Prayer: "Give to me O Lord the right attitude whenever problem comes my way."

Further Reading: Job 13:14-16

Quotation: "Always confess positively"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Sep 16, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2016

SAFE WITH THE SAVIOUR

"Then spoke Jesus again to them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12)

In World War II, German and Italian forces successfully repelled wave upon wave of Allied attacks. They had laid anti-tank mines all through the desert routes so they would not be surprised. Then came General Montgomery and Operation Lightfoot. An advance team of hand-held mine-sweepers silently cut a narrow corridor through the destructive mines and markers were set. Allied tanks and artillery managed to advance within range of the enemy lines and pounded the German positions. Victory was secured.

The worldly youth is spiritually blind, he is soon ruined in the moral and spiritual minefields of this world. If you are saved, Jesus leads the way for you. He knows the safe route to navigate to the heavenly shore. So, stay close to Jesus, abide in His word and you will be safe eternally.

Challenge: "Darkness hides a million dangers"

Prayer: "Lord, keep my feet steady in my walk with you"

Quote: "Stay close to Jesus"

Further Reading: Romans 13:11-14

See more at:

1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:01am On Sep 17, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2016

IN TIMES OF TROUBLE

"But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble" (Psalm 37:39)

For sheer envy, King Saul pursued young David to kill him. Hated and hounded, David feared for his life and took to the caves of Israel. At a point the king and his hate-army encircled him and his men. It seemed like the end of the road. But just as Saul began to close the dragnet, God sent an invading army into Israel to divert Saul away from his murderous scheme. David escaped unhurt from his enemy's snare.

Life's troubles come in various shapes and colours: family crisis, academic setback, parental rejection, health issues, or financial lack. Through it all however the Christian youth can confidently trust in the unfailing power of Jehovah. He is utterly reliable and competent to reduce all our life's troubles to rubbles, for His name's sake.

Do not despair, O child of God; your God has the power to deliver you in trouble. Look to God in faith and prayer.

Challenge: "When trouble knocks, I will not answer; Jesus will"

Prayer: "Save me, O Lord, and I shall be saved"

Quote: "Look to God in faith"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 23:24-29

See more at:

1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:56pm On Sep 18, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2016

TIME OF THE LAST TRUMP

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed" (1 Corinthians 15:52)

The referee's final whistle signals the end of a game. Recall the nail-biting last minutes of the game when your school team was hanging on to a very narrow lead? Each minute seemed to last forever. With eyes permanently fixed on the referee and heart beating wildly, you waited for that final blow of the whistle. And when it came what a relief it was!

God's last trumpet blast will signal the close of this age. God shall summon all His faithful children to heaven from this sinful world. What qualifies you to hear the trumpet and fly away? Certainly, not church membership and not mere good works. God promised through Apostle Paul that only those that "are alive (spiritually) and remain (in Christ) unto the coming of the Lord" shall hear the trumpet sound and go to be with the Lord.

To be ready, repent and surrender your life to Christ. Now is the day of salvation, tomorrow may be too late.

Challenge: "Listen for the trumpet sound"

Prayer: "Make me ready for your coming, O Lord"

Quote: "Today is the day of salvation"

Further Reading: 1 Thessalonians 13-18

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:02am On Sep 19, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2016

PROMISE OF HIS PRESENCE

"And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of" (Genesis 28:15)

One evening after supper, Darrell was in the living room with Lorraine, his 4-year old girl. Only a distance of two metres separated father and daughter. Then suddenly the mains fuse tripped and the whole house was thrown into pitch darkness. Lorraine let out a hideous scream and then bawled, "Daddy, where are you?" Darrell calmly replied, "Right here, where I was standing before you freaked out."

How like many of us! In our minds, darkness and aloneness are one and the same. But neither darkness nor light makes any difference with the Lord, He is God with us. So when like Lorraine we enter into an unnecessary meltdown and cry out for His presence, God simply responds like Darrell, "I am here."

Only sin removes God's presence far away. If you are saved and living right, Jesus is ever near to you. The manual for confident living is Emmanuel.

Challenge: "I have a Friend that sticks closer than a brother"

Prayer: "Help me live daily, Lord, as if I knew You are near"

Quote: "Jesus is very near to you"

Further Reading: Psalm 46:1-11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:56am On Sep 20, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2016

HONOURING PARENTS

"Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord" (Colossians 3:20)

Dave Barry said, "To an adolescent, there is nothing in the world more embarrassing than a parent." Though it was said to be a humorous statement it is sad nonetheless; sad because, for many youths, it is true. They feel sorry to be identified with mum or dad. They would rather hang out with their friends than heed their parents.

Many youths are deliberately at daggers drawn with their parents all year round except two days "The Fathers' Day and Mothers' Day." Soon after paying lip service to the love of father and mother on those two days they go back to dishonouring those same parents.

Have you honoured your parents recently? Not much is required to do this. Little acts of obedience, little words of appreciation and a healthy dose of genuine love and these are all most fathers and mothers would ask for. God expects it of all sons and daughters. I'd rather honour my parents than humour my peers

Challenge: "In what practical ways can you honour your parents this week?"

Prayer: "Lord, thank you for my dad and mum"

Quote: "Honour your parents"

Further Reading: Ephesians 6:1-3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Sep 21, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2016

THE WICKED WAXING WORSE

"But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived" (2 Timothy 3:13)

In 2013, a piece of very bizarre news came out of a country in the southern part of Africa. A 40-year old widow was carrying the baby of her 23-year old son and she planned to marry him. The print media is outdoing itself in reporting more and more shocking news. Brutal killings, horrendous rape and abominable incest are presented in offensive details. But it seems the world has lost its sense of shock. The Lord Jesus and His apostles warned of these things beforehand. These are signs of the end.

As moral darkness descends upon the world, godly youths ought to walk daily in holiness. They should also double their efforts to preach the gospel to sinful boys and girls before death or final judgment harvests them to an eternal hell. It is not enough to sigh and grieve like Lot in Sodom over the wickedness in the world. You must go and preach Christ.

Challenge: "The end of the world is imminent. Be ready!"

Prayer: "Help me to walk and shine as light, Lord Jesus"

Quote: "You must go and preach Christ"

Further Reading: 2 Timothy 3:1-5

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51am On Sep 23, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2016

WHOSE FAITH FOLLOW

"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation" (Hebrews 13:7)

The British Broadcasting Corporation ran a series called, When I Grow Up, I want to be: It features children from war-torn Syria imagining their future self. One of the girls said, "I want to be a dairy chef. When I was young, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my mother." Another who wants to be a pharmacist said, "Our neighbour in Syria had a pharmacy." I watched this pharmacist help the injured. When I saw this, I knew that this was what I wanted to do."  Both girls highlight the powerful truth that your future is crafted by the model you constantly set before your face.

Today's followers are tomorrow's leaders. Who is your role model? Ensure that yours is the right person. As a Christian youth, perhaps, yours is a godly parent, an inspiring youth leader, a holy, anointed and successful minister of the gospel, or a world achiever like Thomas Edison. You can even resolve to be a composite of them all.

Challenge: "Follow no one, lead no one"

Prayer: "God, please guide my feet in right paths in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Today's followers are tomorrow's leaders"

Further Reading: Matthew 4:18-22

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:48pm On Sep 23, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2016

CHRIST'S CHOICE

"Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work" (John 4: 34)

Stephen R. Covey, in his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, said "But until a person can say deeply and honestly, 'I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday,' that person cannot say, 'I choose otherwise.'"

A choice is a mental decision a person makes in the face of two or more options. Choices are inevitable in life. There are many factors that influence choices. Many youths are swayed by self-will, peer pressure, parental influences, societal values and worse still, Satanic manipulations. Jesus Christ made a choice. He chose to do the will of God and finish His work.

What choices are you making today and what are your motivations? Someone said, "In every single thing you do, you are choosing a direction. Your life is a product of choices." When next you are faced with two or more options, think of God's glory and honour. Choose wisely.

Challenge: "Your choices should reflect God's glory and honour"

Prayer: "Guide me, O God in my life's choices"

Quote: "Your life is a product of choices"

Further Reading: Joshua 24:14-24

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:11am On Sep 29, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016

VIRGIN TILL MARRIAGE VOWS

"For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee" (Isaiah 62: 5)

Is virginity still in vogue? A popular Nigerian blog threw the question open for public debate. The responses and reactions, as expected, were mixed. While some maintained that it was still fashionable to maintain virginity till marriage, others felt that virginity belonged to an era long gone and forgotten. With the crass immorality in the media and blatant permissiveness of the society, it is hard to obtain chastity from today's youngsters.

A young Indian bride recently admitted that her newly-wedded husband expressed disappointment and dismay when he discovered that she was still a virgin! But listen to the voice of wisdom, young folk. Virginity was and still is a divine command. It is a precious gift to keep and treasure. It gives you confidence, sense of self-worth and feeling of innocence. Many of your peers and mates who have lost their virginity may jeer at you and wish to give you the impression that it is no big deal, but deep down, it hurts them that they've lost it.

My son, my daughter, Keep pure!

Challenge: "Secretly, your peers regret their loss of virginity"

Prayer: "I need your grace to keep my virginity, dear Lord"

Quote: "Virginity's a divine command"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 11:1, 2

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2016

STOP CHATTING WITH SATAN

"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden" (Genesis 3: 2)

She found her new friend very charming and amiable. He seemed knowledgeable and logical with answers ready for any question. She felt so much at ease in the presence of this new stranger that she readily went into intimate conversation with him. She so trusted the wisdom and intention of this stranger that she was ready to push the boundaries of her liberty and take some calculated risks. But unknown to her, Eve was chatting with Satan, her greatest enemy! The outcome was not pleasant, neither for Eve nor for the rest of humanity.

While Chatting Online, teenagers tend to confide their lives' problems, their thoughts and feelings to chatting partners moments after starting their conversation. By so doing, many youths have been lured into conversation with Satan unwittingly. Some have revealed important personal details like phone numbers and house addresses to online friends. Many have fallen prey to predators, molesters and kidnappers through mischievous chat-room friends. Beware! Satan has gone online!

Challenge: "With loose lips Eve exposed her heart to Satan"

Prayer: "Protect me from mischievous chatroom friends, O Lord"

Quote: "Satan has gone online"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 11:13-15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by brocab: 1:21am On Oct 01, 2016
Not only she but He, God told Adam not to eat of the fruit of the Garden. Did God tell Eve? or did Adam?
OLAADEGBU:
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2016

STOP CHATTING WITH SATAN

"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden" (Genesis 3: 2)

She found her new friend very charming and amiable. He seemed knowledgeable and logical with answers ready for any question. She felt so much at ease in the presence of this new stranger that she readily went into intimate conversation with him. She so trusted the wisdom and intention of this stranger that she was ready to push the boundaries of her liberty and take some calculated risks. But unknown to her, Eve was chatting with Satan, her greatest enemy! The outcome was not pleasant, neither for Eve nor for the rest of humanity.

While Chatting Online, teenagers tend to confide their lives' problems, their thoughts and feelings to chatting partners moments after starting their conversation. By so doing, many youths have been lured into conversation with Satan unwittingly. Some have revealed important personal details like phone numbers and house addresses to online friends. Many have fallen prey to predators, molesters and kidnappers through mischievous chat-room friends. Beware! Satan has gone online!

Challenge: "With loose lips Eve exposed her heart to Satan"

Prayer: "Protect me from mischievous chatroom friends, O Lord"

Quote: "Satan has gone online"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 11:13-15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:40pm On Oct 01, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2016

SOCIAL MEDIA'S SEDUCTIONS

"Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment" (Exodus 23: 2)

On August 21, 2014, Jason Thibeault, a social media marketer, wrote a post in his LinkedIn page, "Why I just quit Facebook." The article went viral, getting over 700,000 views the following day. According to Jason, he had to quit Facebook because "my news feeds were becoming an addiction. They were a constant interruption pulling me away from the work that I was otherwise enjoying."

Social media offers some benefits such as staying connected with friends and family, enhancing creativity through sharing ideas with others who have similar interests. However, the dangers are equally enormous. They promote selfishness, worldliness, restlessness, isolation, and violence. While youths struggle to be available online, they often become unavailable in real life.

Apart from addiction, social media subtly alter the moral complexion of users. Continual exposure to lewd and obscene materials corrupt good morals. Remain holy and avoid addiction to the social media.

Challenge: "Social media subtly alter the moral complexion of users"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from the dangers of social media"

Quote: "Remain holy and avoid addiction"

Further Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:21-24

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Oct 02, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2016

A HELPING HAND AT HOME

"He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame" (Proverbs 10: 5)

Remember those times your teens did everything they were supposed to, when they were supposed to, without being told they were supposed to? Of course you don't, because that never happened. Morgan Griffin wrote in a WebMD article, "What's the biggest source of conflict with your teenage son or daughter? For many parents, its not dating or broken curfews or bad grades: it's cleaning." Teenagers are often averse to house chores. But it needs not be so. Christian youths should develop a positive attitude towards house chores and offer a helping hand at home. You should understand that it is a mark of responsibility to contribute to the family economy. It is a sign of gratitude to God and your parents who provide for your many needs. It is part of your training and preparation for the future. Research shows that children who learn responsibilities at home are more likely to help others outside the home. Responsibility at home makes kids better citizens and able to serve God.

Challenge: "Learn responsibility at home"

Prayer: "God, show me the areas I can be of help at home"

Quote: "Offer a helping hand at home"

Further Reading: 3 John 1-5

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.