Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels (1390211 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55am On Apr 17, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 17, 2017

CUT IT OFF
TEXT: MARK 9:45

"And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched" (Mark 9:45)

Heaven is so important that the Christian youth must do everything necessary to enter on leaving the world. However, do not think that Jesus requires you to cut off your literal feet as a condition for entering into heaven. The "feet" here is only a figurative expression to drive home the point of his teaching. There has been an odd story of a youth who physically cut-off a very vital part of his body. His reason was that it was causing him to sin. That was not what Jesus required of his disciples. He meant that we should severe relationships that lead to sin. It is self -denial or separation from any object of sin. "The Lord wants His people to keep themselves separated from the filth of this world at all cost," declared Henry G. Bosch.

Take some time to list some things that you might have to cut off, such as: lying, stealing, gluttony, cheating, the lust of the eye, anger, talkativeness, and malice. If you are born again, you can cut off whatever offends.

Challenge: "Don't allow anyone to lead you into sin"

Prayer: "Lord, give me courage to severe every sinful attachment"

Quote: "Sever relationships that lead to sin"

Bible Reading in one Year: Mark 9:42-49

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 18, 2017

CHARACTERISTICS OF LOVE
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 13:4

"Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up" (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Our text of today gives a vivid description of TRUE LOVE. Love is hereby qualified to differentiate the God kind of love (Agape, Greek) from what the unbelievers call love. Youths often use the term to mean lust or the usage which is for the gratification of the flesh. Make a checklist of your character and see how you compare with the characteristics of love, as seen in today's passage.

Love is patient. Are you patient? Love is kind. Are you kind? Love does not envy. Are you envious of the successes and privileges of others? Love does not boast. Are you boastful? Why do you boast? After all, what do you have that you did not receive? Love is not arrogant. Christian youths should not be arrogant. Are you arrogant? Jesus has called us to a life of holiness, humility and meekness. Where do you stand?

Challenge: "Only born-again youths can practise true love"

Prayer: "Father, please rid me of envy and pride"

Quote: "Love is not arrogant"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:08am On Apr 19, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017

DIVINE ASSIGNMENT
TEXT: JEREMIAH 6:7

"But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shalt send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak" (Jeremiah 6:7)

Rev. T. Mupamhanga said, "God is in the habit of giving assignments to people. In each assignment, He will be giving those people an opportunity to serve Him. When they serve Him faithfully therein they find their greatest strengths and do great exploits for God." We have a general assignment for all believers, which is evangelism. Your evangelism field includes your school and neighbourhood. There are also special calls or assignments, particularly to full time ministry. No one should force himself or herself into this; it is God's choice. As a youth, you may not have received a special call like Samuel did, but you can support the call of your parents or pastors. Do not hinder them through waywardness like Eli and Samuel's sons did.

Today's passage tells us how Jeremiah received his assignment from God. He felt unqualified for the role initially but God empowered him and he became successful. Like other men of God of old, such as Noah, Moses and Apostle Paul, if God's call comes to you, just obey and serve faithfully.

Challenge: "When His message comes to you... Just obey, just obey"

Prayer: "Oh God, give me the grace to do your will"

Quote: "You can support the call of your parents"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 9:1-6, 10-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by cbravo3: 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by cbravo3: 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:56am On Apr 20, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 20, 2017

MEANINGFUL MEDITATION
TEXT: JOSHUA 1:8

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou may observe to do according to all that is written therein" (Joshua 1:8.)

Meditation is a spiritual exercise quite definite and purposeful as a business engagement. In meditation, we apply spiritual principles and facts to ourselves as God's children. In his book, Answers to Prayer, George Mueller said, "Through reading the word of God, and especially through meditation on the word of God, the believer becomes more and more acquainted with the nature and character of God, and thus, sees more and more, besides His holiness and justice, what a kind, loving, gracious, merciful, mighty, wise, and faithful Being He is, and, therefore, in his family, difficulty in service, want of a situation or employment, he will repose upon the ability of God to help him."

As a youth, you can become a friend of God like Abraham if you can daily read, meditate on and pray in the word of God. Be silent before God, and His Spirit will reveal things to you; He will give guidance and assurance when in confusion. Habakkuk was meditating when God told him, "Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables" (Habakkuk 2:2).

Challenge: "Give God time to reveal Himself to you"

Prayer: "Help me to be silent before you, oh God"

Quote: "Be silent before God to reveal things to you"

Bible Reading in one Year: Habakkuk 2:1, 2

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY: 21 APRIL, 2017

PRAY FOR MISSIONARIES
TEXT: COLOSSIANS 4:2-3

"Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds" (Colossians 4:2-3)

"A deep concern for others is the main motivation of those who are willing to become intercessors," wrote Selwyn Hughes. Like all other human beings, missionaries are regular people who fear pain and rejection. When faced with opposition, they need God's strength to stand firm. Unfortunately, many of them work in countries that are difficult to access or in areas that are hostile and resistant to the gospel.

That is why missionaries need prayers for protection, endurance, open doors, boldness to spread the word of God, support from fellow believers, God's guidance, and most importantly, grace to serve God by Faith and to be led by the Holy Spirit to rapidly and freely make known the mystery of the gospel. As a believer, how often do you pray for missionaries? Do you pray for their welfare and against evil forces that would seek to hinder the spread of the gospel through them? They need your prayers for strength and stamina to withstand antagonistic spiritual forces that they encounter daily. Pray my child, pray!

Challenge: "God needs intercessors; can He count on you?"

Prayer: "Oh God, help me to intercede, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "They need your prayers for strength"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 13:2,3; Ephesians 6:18-20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:30am On Apr 22, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 2017

PECULIAR PEOPLE
TEXT: 1 PETER 2:9

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people..." (1 Peter 2:9)

The phrase 'peculiar people' in our text is used to describe people (believers) who belong exclusively to God and enjoy His privileges. The text indicates that Christians are God's own possession by being born again. They are therefore not of the world but are chosen from it to shine as light in the world. "See that no man takes thy crown." 'Be willing to be one of Christ's peculiar people, no matter what men may say of you,'" wrote D. L. Moody.

There is so much to our being born again; we belong to a new breed of people for God, we are in a royal family of priests, we are a holy nation (set apart for God, and living right), and by our lifestyle, we are to bring praises to God who has "called us out of darkness into his marvelous light." These peculiar people shall eventually leave the world to take part in the Wedding reception of the Lamb. Yes, we shall reign with Him. Hallelujah! Be sure you are born again to enjoy these privileges.

Challenge: "To be peculiar for God it will take steel in your backbone"

Prayer: "My God, help me to remain peculiar for you in Jesus' name"

Quote: "A new breed of people for God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Exodus 19:5, 6; 1 Peter 2:9-12

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:50am On Apr 23, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 23, 2017

PERSEVERANCE IN FAITH
TEXT: MATTHEW 24:12, 13

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved" (Matthew 24:12, 13)

Perseverance means steady and continued action or belief for a long period of time, despite challenges or difficulties. The Christian walk requires perseverance. Read this with me: "And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God" (Luke 9:62). You see, those who turn back along the line miss the kingdom of God and waste their past efforts. After a wonderful mission work with Apostle Paul, Demas dropped out and missed out. According to W. E. Corey, "It is not always the smartest man who gets along the best; it is the man with bulldog tenacity, the man who perseveres and never gives up, who succeeds."

As a youngster, if you are saved, that is splendid. However, you must continue in the faith to the end despite challenges that may come your way for the final salvation. You cannot talk about perseverance in faith if you have not started the race; so, you have to surrender your life to Christ now for a joyful eternity.

Challenge: "If you fall, don't give up, get up!"

Prayer: "Keep me through this walk of faith, oh God, in Jesus name"

Quote: "The Christian walk requires perseverance"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 8:11-14

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:06pm On Apr 24, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 24, 2017

OPEN RESTITUTION
TEXT: LUKE 19:8

"And Zaccheus stood, and said unto the Lord if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold" [Luke 19:8]

Restitution, ordinarily, refers to the act of returning something that has been lost or stolen or compensating for the theft of or damage to property. But in the Bible, it most often refers to a person being reimbursed by someone who has stolen or harmed his property. It is completely biblical for someone to pay for damage or loss. Lonzie Cunningham pointed out, "A religion that compels a man to pay his debts, take back the things he has stolen, confess his lies, and uncover his crimes has credibility." However, it is not necessarily biblical for a Christian to demand restitution. Restitution was part of the law that God gave to Moses (Exodus 21, 22).

Restitution is expected of every believer, and those who do not do it show a lack of good conscience. It must be done honestly. Zaccheus surrendered to Christ and made his restitutions openly. If you are still a sinner, repent now then seek advice from a mature Christian on proper restitution. This is a way of making peace with God and men.

Challenge: "No true peace for those who would not restitute"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to make my restitutions"

Quote: "Seek advice on proper restitution"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 23:1-5

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:15am On Apr 25, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017

ASK QUESTIONS
TEXT: JOHN 14: 5

"Thomas said unto him, Lord, we know not wither thou goest and how can we know the way"? (John 14: 5)

Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of former US President, once wrote that one of the best things about being a child is the curiosity of children. If a child does not know the answer to a question, then he or she must find it. Every person should have the drive to know, to ask questions to clear up any confusion, or to seek information on any subject that interests them. Young people are encouraged to ask questions in class. Asking questions has several benefits. They include: increasing our knowledge and aiding our memory; it helps us in discovering new ideas and information; it helps us in making better decisions; and it helps us in probing and discovering the unknown. However, reject misleading answers.

A lot of teaching by the Lord Jesus Christ came through questions, like that in our text of today. Some questions came from His disciples and others came from his detractors, but through them all Jesus taught great messages. If you are confused about anything ask your parents, church leaders and especially, pray, for God answers.

Challenge: "Those who ask questions get the farthest in life"

Prayer: "Lord, make me ever eager to learn from the right sources"

Quote: "Ask questions to clear up any confusion"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 17:19-21; 18:21-22

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58am On Apr 26, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26, 2017

SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES
TEXT: 2 TIMOTHY 3:16

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16)

It was Matthew Henry who said, "The laying of God's oracles in our hearts will be of excellent use to us in all our conduct." Indeed, the Bible is the classroom where the Holy Ghost teaches. As the strength of a tree is dependent on the root, so also is the stability and backbone of a Christian youth anchored on the spiritual nutrients he/she receives daily from the Scriptures. The word of God is a compass to guide in the wilderness of life, a light to show the way in the dark world, an anchor to hold so as to sail through in the sea of life, a security in this world of insecurity and a guard against false prophets.

It is wisdom for you to make this golden treasure your indispensable companion. Without proper scriptural guidance, life's purpose is lost. Therefore, you must search it daily, because there can be no finding without searching. Pray it in and meditate on it and you will be blessed.

Challenge: "Buy, read and believe the Bible"

Prayer: "Lord help me to obey your word"

Quote: "Pray it in and meditate on it"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm: 119:9-12

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 27, 2017

IN BAD AND GOOD TIMES
TEXT: 1 THESSALONIANS 5:18

"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

We should thank God consistently not only when things go well but also when things are bad. Such was the attitude of Job. In a moment of time, Job lost all that he had. In the midst of the grief he worshipped God (Job 1:20).

Let us share this cheering poem by Lucy Larcom:

Art thou weary, tender heart?
Be glad of pain:
In sorrow sweetest virtues grow,
As flowers in the rain.
God watches, and thou wilt have sun,
When clouds their perfect work have done.

Many thank God only when things are rosy but tend to mellow down when challenges, and pain come their way. God promised to be with us in all situations (Isaiah 43:2). God has a purpose for everything that He allows to happen to us. If we remain in the faith and trust God, we will find the promise true that, all things work for the good of those who love God (Romans 8:28). Hence someone wrote, "Nearly all God's jewels are crystallized tears."

Challenge: "Choose to thank God in every situation."

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to praise you at all times."

Quote: "God has a purpose for everything He allows."

Bible Reading in one Year: Isaiah 43:2, Habakkuk 3:17-18

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:25am On Apr 28, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2017

DEMAND YOUR DESIRE
TEXT: 1 KING 3:5

"In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, Ask what I shall give thee" (1 King 3:5).

A story was told of a sitting Governor in an oil rich West African Country whose old time friend made frantic efforts to meet, and when he eventually met him, the Governor asked him, "What can I do for you?" The friend replied to the amazement of the Governor, "Please give me 100,000 (in the local currency). The Governor gave him his request, but instructed that the friend should never be allowed to see him again for demanding for something too meagre. Make your request big before God, because He can do all things. Someone wrote, "Nothing lies beyond the reach of prayer except that which lies outside the will of God."

The Almighty God gave King Solomon a unique opportunity; a blank check, "Ask what I shall give thee" and Solomon made a request that "pleased" the Almighty God: he asked for an "understanding heart," "a discerning mind" for good government. God gave him more than he demanded. My dear, ensure you are born again then tell God your desire. He will do it.

Challenge: "God grants the requests of His children."

Prayer: "Oh God, give me the grace to ask wisely."

Quote: "Make your request big before God."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Kings 3:5-15; Mark 11:24

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:38pm On Apr 29, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2017

YOU AND YOUR TIME
TEXT: PSALMS 90:12

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalms 90:12).

In their delusion, sinners mistake this world for reality. Consequently, they scheme and strive all through their miserable lives to acquire certificates and material possessions. In this misguided quest for shadows, they miss the substance. On this, Richard Baxter wrote, "Spend your time in nothing which you know must be repented of; in nothing on which you might not pray for the blessing of God; in nothing which you could not review with a quiet conscience on your dying bed."

Wise people still seek Jesus today. The word of God enlightens our spiritual understanding to the vanity of this material world and to invest in true reality - the kingdom of God. Knowing this, Christians ought to plan each day of their lives in the light of the word of God. This requires wise prioritization of spiritually productive activities in the daily allocation of our time. Living in the consciousness of sudden return of our Saviour, Jesus Christ, will drive us to give the very best of our time to God. Use your time well at school, office and home.

Challenge: "Time with God is actually invested, not spent!"

Prayer: "O God, teach me to always invest my time well."

Quote: "Use your time well at school, office and home."

Bible Reading in one Year: Ecclesiastes 12:13, 14; Exodus 24:12-18

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32am On May 01, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33am On May 01, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017

THE SECRET PLACE
TEXT: PSALMS 91:1

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty" (Psalms 91:1).

My precious children, today's devotion will bring you special blessings because you are special to God if you are privileged to dwell in His secret place, the place of security. Charles. H. Spurgeon wrote, "No shelter can be imagined at all comparable to the protection of Jehovah's own shadow. The Almighty himself is where his shadow is, and hence those who dwell in his secret place are shielded by himself. The more closely we cling to our Almighty Father the more confident may we be."

What qualifies you to dwell in the secret place of the Most High is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, walking closely with Him by studying His word, meditating on it, obeying it, praying and worshipping regularly in God's house. Those in the secret place hear the voice of God, for He speaks to them. They enjoy divine strength and encouragement under the burdens or life and they faint not. Under Jehovah Shalom's wings is peace, for no fury of foes can reach them there. Dwell in the secret place and enjoy divine provision.

Challenge: "In the secret place is life more abundant"

Prayer: "May I never wander away from you oh God, In Jesus' name."

Quote: "Under Jehovah Shalom's wings is peace."

Bible Reading in one Year: Joshua 1:1-9; Psalm 62:1-8

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:50pm On May 02, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MAY 2, 2017

THE GREAT PROVIDER
TEXT: PSALMS 145:16

"Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing" (Psalms 145:16).

Watching a documentary of wild life, one is stunned by the wisdom displayed by a lioness, for instance, ambushing a prey in order to feed her family. While one feels pity for the unsuspecting and defenseless prey that eventually gets strangulated, one must not lose sight of the fact that it is God who also feeds these animals of the wild. God equips the predators with superior wisdom by which they outwit their preys in order to survive and reproduce their kind.

Equipped with this understanding of life, a true child of God should, therefore, be "careful for nothing" (Philippians 4:6), but prayerfully trust God to meet all needs at all times. The Bible is replete with divine promises to meet all our material, emotional and spiritual needs, provided we "ask in faith, nothing wavering" (James 1:6). Jehovah Jireh, is our Great Provider. He provided manna and meat in the wilderness; He provided for Elijah during a three and a half year period of famine in Israel. Live holy and hold God to His promises for your needs.

Challenge: "Forsaking All I Trust Him (FAITH)"

Prayer: "Help me to trust thee, O LORD, to supply all my needs."

Quote: "Hold God to His promises for your needs."

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 6:25-34

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:27pm On May 03, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2017

RISE UP AGAIN
TEXT: PROVERBS 24:16

"For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief" (Proverbs 24:16).

The just man acts with fairness and is not partial; he is morally right in his actions. God called Noah a just and perfect man and Lot also was just and righteous (Genesis 6:9, 2 Peter 2:7). However the just man may fall but unlike the wicked, he will rise again. Noah and Lot had their low points and it was due to wine. The just may also fall into difficulties and afflictions. "Though God permits the hand of violence sometimes to spoil his tent, temptations to assail his mind, and afflictions to press down his body, he constantly emerges; and every time he passes through the furnace, he comes out brighter and more refined," said Adam Clarke.

As a user of this devotional, do not remain lying on the ground if you have fallen, unless you are not yet a 'just man' therefore you must give your life to Christ now. Is your fall a problem of sin, poor examination performance, sickness or disharmony in the family? Do not give up, it is time to rise again. God will strengthen and help you (Isaiah 41:10).

Challenge: ""Fear thou not" is a watchword for true heroes"

Prayer: "O God, turn my stumbling blocks into stepping stones!"

Quote: "Do not give up, it is time to rise again."

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 37:23-25; Micah 7:8-9

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:07am On May 04, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MAY 4, 2017

KEEP DOING GOOD
TEXT: GALATIANS 6:9

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).

Some people stop doing good because their acts of kindness are not appreciated. Others stop because they have been cheated or defrauded through doing good. But continue doing good without regrets. John Wesley wrote:

Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.

The wise-hearted believer would rather declare like Job, "My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go" (Job 27:6). If God has enjoined us to persist in "well doing" and even promised some rewards, then there could be no better alternative! Let us heed this divine counsel and be sure to reap the attendant benefits both in time and in eternity.

Challenge: "Goodness is a godly attribute which we must acquire and retain for life"

Prayer: "Keep me, LORD, in well doing, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Continue doing good without regrets."

Bible Reading in one Year: Galatians 6:1-10

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:05am On May 05, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MAY 5, 2017

LEARNING FROM HISTORY
TEXT: ROMANS 15:4

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope" (Romans 15:4).

History is basically defined as "a chronological record of significant events (as affecting a nation or an institution) often including an explanation of their causes" (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). Indeed, the Bible is a divinely-inspired record, packaged partly as the history of God's chosen people, Israel. But, more importantly, the Bible is a revelation of God's plan for the whole world. Based on our text, William Burkitt said, "That the great end for which the holy scriptures were written, was the informing of our judgment, and the directing of our practice, that by the examples which we find there of the patience of holy men under sufferings, and of God's relieving and comforting them in their distresses, we might have hope, yea, confidence, and assurance, that God will also comfort and relieve us, under the like pressure and burden."

In the Bible are bad examples to avoid: Diana and Tamar were too careless and trusting, and were raped; Hophni and Phinehas were sinners and they lost the priestly office. On the contrary, the young David, Samuel and Ruth were good examples to follow.

Challenge: "Better to learn from history than from personal experience"

Prayer: "Open my eyes oh God to behold wondrous things out of thy law"

Quote: "Samuel and Ruth were good examples to follow."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 10:1-12

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:04am On May 06, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017

GOD GUIDES
TEXT: PSALMS 25:9

"The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way" (Psalms 25:9).

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word 'meek' as: "enduring injury with patience and without resentment;" "having or showing a quiet and gentle nature;" "not wanting to fight or argue with other people." Anyone who manifests these character traits as part of their real, enduring nature, not just an act, must have encountered Jesus Christ - He alone can so transform human nature out of its natural depraved state! It is the meek that God guides. "Oh, beloved, faint not when doors are shut. For you are in God's will, He will Himself unlock the bars and let you in, or else He will keep the doors closed and later lead you in another direction. Pray and wait. Fret not nor complain. The Spirit knows God's purpose. You have received Him; He is your Leader, your Guide, and He never errs. The vision will come at last," wrote Oswald J. Smith

Our text today underscores total surrender to the will of God in all issues of life as a prerequisite for earning divine guidance. Obey God's word and receive guidance as you pray.

Challenge: "Surrender your will to access His hidden treasures"

Prayer: "Break my will, O God, that I may do your will"

Quote: "Obey God's word and receive guidance."

Bible Reading in one Year: Deuteronomy 28:1-44; Proverbs 2:1-22

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:41am On May 09, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:43am On May 09, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:45am On May 09, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MAY 9, 2017

FAITHFUL BEAUTIFUL FEET
TEXT: ISAIAH 52:7

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation" (Isaiah 52:7).

A moment before, the jailor had made the feet of Paul and Silas fast in the stocks. The multitude had had their feet dragged in humiliation through the market square. None of them saw the beauty of the feet of these gallant soldiers of Christ who brought good tidings to Philippi, a chief city of Macedonia. Contrary to what the multitude saw, Paul and Silas saw the beauty of their 'stocks ornamented feet' and started 'holy jubilation.' Their jubilation in prayer and praises resulted in the conversion of the jailor who afterward stooped down and carefully washed the feet he had once bruised. How beautiful indeed are the feet of those who bring good tidings.

Are you converted? Then you have a good tiding for your world today. The Holy Ghost says, "And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15). People may ridicule or accept the gospel, but see as God sees and declare it. Should God examine your feet at the end of today, will He be able to say, 'How beautiful are my child's feet!'

Challenge: "How beautiful are your feet?"

Prayer: "Lord, give me a specific message to someone today"

Quote: "You have a good tiding for your world today."

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 16:23-34; Mark 16:15, 16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:48am On May 10, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 2017

CONDEMN EVIL TONGUES
TEXT: ISAIAH 54:17

"No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper, and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn" (Isaiah 54:17).

Forty two children left their homes in Bethel to play. They saw a bald head man and decided to make him an object of mockery. They insulted, jeered and sneered at him. Elisha turned and cursed them and two she bears came out of the woods and tore them. It is sad to note that of these 42 children, who might have come from at least ten families, none of them had learned how to refrain from the association of evil speakers or learned to condemn evil tongues. They all met their tragic end.

These are days when people speak evil of God, of servants of God, of righteousness and piety. It is rampant in our schools, among young boys and girls. Those who refuse to join them are tagged 'old school.' It is even surprising that this is gaining ground in families and churches. Beware, God still condemns evil tongues. You can either choose to stand with God and godliness to condemn evil tongues or stand with the condemned. You can also condemn evil tongues that come in nightmares.

Challenge: "Do not stand with the condemned"

Prayer: "Lord, I take my stand with you to condemn evil tongue"

Quote: "Condemn evil tongues that come in nightmares."

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Kings 2: 23-25

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:55am On May 11, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MAY 11, 2017

GIVE YOUR BEST TO GOD
TEXT: 2 SAMUEL 24:24

"And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (2 Samuel 24:24).

A man who had given all he had to raise up a young man came to him on a visit. As he was going back, the young man went in and handed him a sealed envelope and said, "Uncle, please manage this." "Open and count how much is in the envelope," the uncle demanded. After declaring the content of the envelope, the uncle told him to go in and package what befit him. The young man went in and repackaged the envelope and brought it back. The old man collected the envelope and retorted, "So you had this at home and you were sealing an empty envelope for me."

David in our text understood God's labour of love to nurture him to limelight. Therefore, he would not give the second best to God. God has laboured to raise you from zero to a hero. What is the value of your sacrifice for Him? Remember, there is a curse on those who hide the best and give the corrupt to the LORD, the great King.

Challenge: "Sacrifice your best for God's glory"

Prayer: "Lord Almighty! I surrender my best to you, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "What is the value of your sacrifice for Him?"

Bible Reading in one Year: Malachi 1: 6-14

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:12am On May 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MAY 12, 2017

GO UP HIGHER
TEXT: LUKE 14:10

"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, friend, go up higher" (Luke 14:10).

A flock of sheep once sighted a ewe and her lambs on a podium enjoying a stack of hay. They rushed to the scene and made series of futile efforts to have a bite. They stood on their hind limbs, bleated and rammed at the podium all to no avail. Unknown to them, there was a staircase behind the podium that the ewe and her lambs carefully climbed to the top. Unfortunately, the hay was not visible from behind. So, even the sheep that made attempt through the stair quickly and impatiently dashed back. This is the way of some youths today but in actual fact, the way up is down.

Our text, shows that the way up is down. All great preachers started by being broken in repentance to receive salvation while most multi -million dollar industries started as small and medium scale industries. Make use of your day of small beginning because that is your ladder to the top. Many youths graduated from youth to adult choir and to pastors with excellence and are still moving up higher.

Challenge: "The way up is down"

Prayer: "Jesus, help me to discover the ladder to the top"

Quote: "Make use of your day of small beginning"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 14: 6-11

See more here:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by zeongeon: 12:39pm On May 12, 2017
if you have testimonies on the supernatural or your interested in the supernatural then you may want to join this whatsapp community were we seek to discuss things rarely discussed from divine healing, angelic experiences, Astra projection, restoration etc.. Share your stories, talk about strange but true events and also learn too.

use the link below to join

https://chat dot whatsapp dot com/4tmUk0OkFhU9zTGb1Zpq3v
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29am On May 13, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MAY 13, 2017

GOD GIVES GIFTS
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 12:4

"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit" (1 Corinthians 12:4).

God is a giver. He gives to all men liberally. He is ever willing and ready to give. He demonstrated His love to the entire world by giving His only begotten son, Jesus Christ. You can gain access to God's gifts by accepting the gift of His only Begotten Son to become a child of God.

After this foundational gift, go boldly to the throne of grace and ask Him for sanctification because He has promised, "a new heart also will I give you." That is not all, He equally promised believers baptism in the Holy Ghost. Moreover, the Great Giver promised diversities of spiritual gifts. These gifts help believers to succeed in life and ministry: Apostle Paul, for example, had gifts of miracles, healing and discernment, so are many ministers of this era. If you are committed to Christ and pray for the gifts, you will receive. Read this, "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full" (John 16:24).

Challenge: "God gives liberally"

Prayer: "Lord, I ask for wisdom from above"

Quote: "These gifts help believers to succeed"

Bible Reading in one Year: James 1: 5-8; 1 Corinthians 12:28-31

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:38am On May 14, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MAY 14, 2017

GOD'S TEMPLE
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 6:16

"And what concord hath the temple of God with idols? For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them" (2 Corinthians 6:16).

An old womanizer who lured a young girl to his office was dazed and frightened at the strange and awesome negative response he received from her. "Young lady," he asked, "what made you different from others?" Standing akimbo with graceful and holy dignity, she pointed to her body and said, "Sir, this is the temple of God. There is a throne here where Christ and He alone can sit. I have been the priestess of the King on this throne for years and I know how terribly jealous He is and can be if any man by error of commission or omission desecrates His temple."

As you go out today, do you have an in-depth understanding of heaven's declaration upon you? You are the mobile Temple of the living God. You are no longer an ordinary youth, but you are a mobile carrier of a great and jealous King. Do not allow anyone to desecrate God's temple. Also, do not indulge in activities that will defile it.

Challenge: "I am God's temple"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to keep this temple holy"

Quote: "Do not allow anyone to desecrate God's temple"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 6: 15-20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Labour For Your Laurels by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:21pm On May 15, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MAY 15, 2017

HIS SUPREME SACRIFICE
TEXT: 1 JOHN 3:16

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren" (1 John 3:16).

"This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you." Does this sound like a mere religious statement? This is what the redemption of humanity cost, the blood of the Redeemer. Was it given on a platter of gold? Not at all. Looking at the painful cost of the sacrifice, Jesus said, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." Yet, he paid the price. He needed water in His agony on the cross and cried, "I thirst," but was instead given vinegar. What with the cruel beating, the crown of thorns, the heavy cross, and the mockery! He bore it all. He paid the supreme price and declared, "It is finished."

Why then are you not saved? Why should such painful price be paid on your behalf and you are not saved? Why are you handling the issue of your salvation as if you were redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold? How will you escape if you neglect so great a salvation? Jesus did it all for you.

Challenge: "Jesus paid it all"

Prayer: "Lord, thank you for paying the debt I owe"

Quote: "Jesus did it all for you"

Bible Reading in one Year: Hebrews 2:4

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.