Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Higher Everyday — Love Not The World - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Love Not The World (1383023 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2017

PERFECT YOUR SKILLS
TEXT: EXODUS 38:23

"And with him was Aholiab, son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, an engraver, and a cunning workman, and an embroiderer in blue, and in purple" (Exodus 38:23)

The scripture reading this morning singled out somebody from among his peers. For him not to be mistaken for another person in Israel perhaps with a similar name, he was traced to the tribe of Dan and well described as a person that had distinguished himself with his God-given skills of embroidery and engraving. Aholiab's name would not have been mentioned in the Book of books, the Holy Bible, if he had not worked on his latent abilities. Happily, God has created everyone with one skill or the other.

What skills do you possess? Writing, singing, drawing, painting, teaching, sewing/fashion design, inventing, engraving, engineering, carpentry, plumbing, etc., are a few skills dormant in people. You need to discover yours and work on them like Aholiab. He did not only perfect his discovered skills, but used them for God's glory. Perfecting your identified skills requires diligence, commitment and constant practice. You can commit your life to Christ and serve God and your generation with your talents.

Challenge: "Develop and utilise your talents"

Prayer: "Open my eyes Lord to discover skills"

Quote: "Serve God and your generation with your talents"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 16:16-23

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Feb 13, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2017

GOOD PRAYER HABIT
TEXT: Daniel 6:10

"Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his househe kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed" (Daniel 6:10)

Billy Joe Daugherty said, "The breakfast of Christian champions is early morning prayer." The good news is that both children and adults can tap into the awesome power in prayer to become champions. Brother Daniel was aware of this as seen in our Bible reading today. He made it a habit to pray thrice a day. Even when his enemies conspired against him and a decree was made to stop him from observing his daily prayers, he ignored the ungodly decree and prayed to his God who was able to deliver him.

A habitual prayer life commences with a daily quiet time. Do you observe daily personal devotion with God? If it is your desire to have daily victory over Satan, sins, temptations, tests and challenges of life, you must make prayer a habit like Daniel. It was this habitual prayer that delivered Daniel from the den of lions. Prayer gives us strength, courage, fresh anointing and victories.

Challenge: "Men ought always to pray, and not to faint"

Prayer: "Create in me Lord the burden for prayer"

Quote: "Prayer gives us strength"

Bible Reading in one Year: Mark 1:35-41

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45am On Feb 16, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45am On Feb 16, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2017

NO BRIBERY
TEXT: ACTS 24:26

"He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him" (Acts 24:26)

"You mean the girl passed Mathematics with distinction! How did she make it without tests and assignments?" Tolu exclaimed. "The cheat made it! I saw her result sheet," Mary replied. "I was also at her birthday party when she privately boasted to a friend that her 'man' would give her whatever marks she wanted because she had given him whatever he wanted," she added. "So she is just a fake Christian!" Tolu declared. This dialogue shows a type of bribery that is also linked to cheating and immoral acts in some schools. Bribery therefore is not only offering of money but also other incentives to persuade someone to do something illegal, immoral or dishonest.

The 'cheat' mentioned above went into evil with her teacher to get a false exam score. Never give or take bribe. Paul, in our text above, refused to bribe Governor Felix to gain favour. Bribery is a punishable offence in our Laws and also attracts eternal punishment in hell. Be sure you are born again to be able to avoid bribery.

Challenge: "It is better to lack than be enriched through bribery"

Prayer: "Oh God, keep me away from bribery"

Quote: "Never give or take bribe"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 8:1-6

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:19am On Feb 16, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2017

GROWING IN GRACE
TEXT: 2 PETER 3:18

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen" (2 Peter 3:18)

The average Christian is thrilled to hear of the gifts of the Spirit and would do anything to receive them. There is nothing wrong in that. However, they are not so eager about growing in grace or bearing the fruit of the Spirit.

According to Thomas Watson, "It is better to grow in grace than in gifts." The graces include: faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance (self-control), patience, godliness, kindness and charity (2 Peter 1:5-7). They help the Christian to be steadfast and fruitful in Christ and to be able to enter at last into the Kingdom of God. But the person with gifts can be lost forever if he lacks graces.

"A man's true spiritual quality is to be judged by his graces, not his gifts," said Tomas Brooks. Believers are commanded in today's text to grow in grace. Backsliders and sinners cannot grow in grace just as a dead tree cannot grow and bear fruits. If you are one, you must repent now. Christians grow in grace through Bible study, prayers and true fellowship.

Challenge: "Love is the queen of all the Christian graces"

Prayer: "Lord, remove hindrances to growth in my life"

Quote: "Sinners cannot grow in grace"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Peter 1:2-11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:37am On Feb 18, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:43am On Feb 18, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2017

PUNCTUAL PEOPLE
TEXT: JOSHUA 6:12

"And Joshua rose early in the morning, and the priests took up the ark of the LORD" (Joshua 6:12)

The reason for not rising up early by many people is laziness. A child of God should not cultivate such a habit. "God's servants cannot adopt a lazy living," said Watchman Nee.

From our Lord Jesus to all the saints in the Holy Bible, rising up early to face the tasks of the day was a habit. It is no wonder that Joshua was a successful leader. He was neither lazy nor procrastinating. If you want to be successful in life, form the habit of waking up early for devotion and set out for your daily tasks. God's people should not be late comers to school or office.

Punctuality demands that you go to bed early and rise up early. "How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So, shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man" (Proverbs 6:9). Through prayer and discipline you can become punctual.

Challenge: "Make haste while the sun shines"

Prayer: "I reject every form of laziness in Jesus' Name"

Quote: "God's people should not be late comers"

Bible Reading in one Year: Genesis 19:27, 28; 22:3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:05am On Feb 19, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2017

GET THRILLED WITH JESUS
TEXT: LUKE 9:26

"For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory" (Luke 9:26)

One may feel ashamed of associating with an inferior or a worthless person; but it seems unthinkable that one should feel ashamed of the King of kings, our Maker and Redeemer. We should rather be bold and excited about Jesus.

Sing this chorus with me: "I get so thrilled with Jesus, Every moment of the day; I get so thrilled with Jesus, He's the Truth the Light, the Way. I get so thrilled with Jesus, He satisfies my longing soul; I get so thrilled with Jesus, He's the One who made me whole."

You may be mocked and sneered at, and be called an old school for standing for Christ and His word by your peers. You would think that they are enjoying life as they make you feel inferior and ashamed. However, they are the ones actually lost and to be pitied. Preach Christ to them.

Challenge: "Walk with Jesus in your pilgrim journey"

Prayer: "Help me to be bold for Jesus, oh God"

Quote: "Be bold and excited about Jesus"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 1:14-17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2017

PRAYER PATTERN
TEXT: LUKE 11:2

"And he said unto them, when ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth" (Luke 11:2)

It is not real praying when we recite some phrases or readymade prayers that do not come from the heart. Sometimes we even hear Christians, instead of praying to God the Father in Jesus' name, they pray to Jesus in Jesus' name. Others call upon saints like Peter and Paul to pray for them. This is not biblical. "Actually, prayer is a two-way communication between God and us. Our prayer should not be stilted phrases, but natural conversation as one would talk to a loved one," said Dr. L. Nelson Bell.

Based on our text, when we pray, we should acknowledge and worship God, our Father in heaven, to whom we pray in the name of Jesus. Pray that all you do daily would be in accordance to God's will, and you also need to pray that for your nation and the world at large. Indeed, there is so much evil in the world, and God's help is needed to bring about righteousness. Forgive your offenders and pray for your personal needs; also, intercede for others. Our God answers prayers.

Challenge: "Prayer is the key"

Prayer: "Oh, God, help me to pray aright in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Our God answers prayers"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 6:7-13

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:16am On Feb 21, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2017

OFFER YOU CANNOT REJECT
TEXT: JOHN 3:18

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18)

Seasons come and go with many gifts and offers from friends and organisations. The offers may be financial, material or a high position. However, they are not durable. Even the most durable gifts are only useful in temporal life. The gift that God offers to the world is His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ and through Him, eternal life (John 3:16).

God, according to our text, gives everyone a chance to accept or reject the offer of His Son. To reject God's offer spells eternal doom; "he that believeth not is condemned already." This gift of salvation which He has purchased for mankind by the blood of Jesus on the cross at Calvary is the greatest gift ever offered to man.

Acceptance of the gift entails repentance and forsaking of sins; and making Jesus your personal Lord and Saviour. You become adopted into the family of God with great inheritance and benefits. This, indeed, is an offer you cannot reject.

Challenge: "Accept Jesus now. It may be your last opportunity"

Prayer: "My God, I accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour"

Quote: "To reject God's offer spells eternal doom"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 16: 27-34

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:34am On Feb 22, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2017

TELL IT LIKE IT IS
TEXT: JOHN 4:29

"Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" (John 4:29)

This chorus was popular among Christians in the 1970s and 80s: "Jesus gave her water that wasn't in the well (x 2). She went out singing, And came back bringing; Others to the water that wasn't in the well." The chorus shows how simple but powerful the gospel preaching can be.

The Samaritan woman in our text had discussed with the Lord Jesus on religion and righteousness. Convicted that Jesus was the Messiah, she surrendered her life to Him. Then with joy and zeal she called to all in her community to see the Messiah and Saviour of the world.

As a child of God, do not delay to tell friends and neighbours of Christ's love. This is the duty we owe God and to the people around us. Preach the gospel simply, clearly, fully and freely. It may just be the testimony of how Jesus saved you from your past sinful life. Jesus will help you as you preach Him.

Challenge: "Throw the life line to others"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to preach the gospel every day"

Quote: "Preach the gospel simply, clearly, fully and freely"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 John 1: 1-5

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:14am On Feb 24, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:14am On Feb 24, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2017

FOLLOW THE LIGHT FOREVER
TEXT: JOHN 8:12

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12)

On a very dark night, a father and his little child walked through their family garden. The child cleaved to his father and would not even want to open his eyes. His father asked him why he was afraid and the child said that he did not like the colour of the night. Like that little child, the colour of darkness breeds fear, unease, and stumbling to all. Jesus, the Light of the world, shines in this world of sin, where Satan reigns.
Those who reject the Light have chosen to walk in darkness and shall suffer in hell. C. H. Spurgeon asks, "Is sin so luscious that you will burn in hell for ever for it?"

Today, Jesus is inviting you to follow Him, the Light. Light repels darkness. No wonder where ever the gospel light is shone, sinners feel uneasy; hence they oppose and persecute the righteous. When the gospel light shines in the heart it can drive the sinner to repentance. Repent now and follow the Light.

Challenge: "Those in the light have nothing to hide"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to follow you always"

Quote: "Repent now and follow the Light"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 11: 33-36

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54am On Feb 25, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2017

THE VOICE YOU HEAR
TEXT: JOHN 10:27

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:27)

A lady killed her 75 year- old father after she saw her late mother in a dream. The spirit had told her that her father was responsible for the death of her two husbands and her children. Many youths today also seek to hear from several sources including wizards, false prophets and other sources which are forbidden by God (Leviticus 19:31).

God speaks to the Christian in several ways. The first is the written word of God which must be in agreement with whatever you hear before you believe it as the voice of God (Isaiah 8:19, 20). Visions, dreams, audible voice, impressions and the still small voice, are some other ways God reveals His will to people. As you study the Bible, accept it as the word (Voice) of God ministering to you.

What you do with God's voice that you hear determines what God does for you and with you. Therefore, always listen with the mind to understand and obey. Have you acted on God's call for salvation? How about sanctification and the Holy Ghost baptism experiences?

Challenge: "Hear right and do right"

Prayer: "Lord, I accept your call to me for spiritual experiences"

Quote: "Have you acted on God's call to salvation?"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 John 4:1-4

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:37am On Feb 27, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41am On Feb 27, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2017

KEEP OFF THE DEVIL
TEXT: 1 THESSALONIANS 5:22

"Abstain from all appearance of evil" (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

No child of God would want to associate or dine with the devil. However, when you are attracted to things, people and places that are tempting, you are being drawn to the devil.

Some so called churches even encourage social vices in their bid to gain more membership. Hear William F. Hill, "Most Churches preached against worldliness years ago. Preachers in almost every denomination cried against drinking alcoholic beverages, smoking cigarettes, attending the theatre and dance, gambling and sexual sin. Now, there are a large number of Churches incorporating many of these things into their programmes." You cannot keep off the devil when you are enjoying his 'carrots' he dangles at you. Daily in our communities, young lives are wasted in drinking, drugs, and sexual pollution.

Life without Christ is a shattered dream. Hell fire awaits the devil and his friends. To keep off the devil, you must truly give your life to Christ and then beware of what you watch on the TV and internet, the friends you keep and your desires. Walk closely with Jesus daily.

Challenge: "When you resist the devil, he flees from you"

Prayer: "O Lord, empower me to overcome temptations always"

Quote: "Walk closely with Jesus daily"

Bible Reading in one Year: Galatians 5: 16-21

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34pm On Feb 28, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2017

A HUMBLE ATTITUDE
TEXT: JOHN 3:30

"He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30)

A seven- year old Japanese boy, Yamato Tanooka, was abandoned in a forest of brown bears by his parents for being naughty. When they came back to pick him after some hours he had gone missing. He suffered for almost a week in loneliness and pains before he was found by a soldier. He could have been killed by wild animals. Though his parents regretted their action, naughtiness brought such harsh punishment on him.

John's reaction in our text teaches all Christians to avoid naughtiness, pride, and arrogance. He was informed that Jesus was baptising as he too was doing and "all men" were going to Jesus. This would have led to the spirit of competition and envy but John handled the situation humbly. He chose to have the Messiah increase while he decreased. "We are to live lives of humility. The Scripture does not say that we are to pray for humility. It says we are to humble ourselves," wrote Billy Graham. True believers are humble people. Are you one?

Challenge: "If you disregard Christ He will abandon you"

Prayer: "Lord, forgive me where I have manifested pride"

Quote: "True believers are humble people"

Bible Reading in one Year: John 3:26-31

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:58am On Mar 01, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1, 2017

REWARD OF SOLITUDE
TEXT: MATTHEW 14:23

"And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone" (Matthew 14:23)

Every child of God should study the Bible, pray and meditate. "Revivals are born in prayer. Whole nights of prayer have always been succeeded by whole days of soul winning," wrote J. Wilbur Chapman. In our text, after a busy day, our Lord Jesus sent the multitudes away and spent time to pray on the mountain till late evening. No wonder everywhere he went miracles followed.

Youths are often very busy at school and home. Many are restless, busy on unimportant things that sap energy. You should create time for rest, prayer, meditation and the study of the word of God. By this your physical and spiritual strength can be renewed. You become alert to contend with Satan and his forces when they come for attack as they often do. It is unwise to waste your time jesting and gossiping. Make every hour of your day count, achieving something to improve your life. This is what distinguishes high achievers from the average achievers, both in education and in Christian service.

Challenge: "The vessel that leaks uncontrolled will soon dry up"

Prayer: "Lord, make me wise to manage my time well"

Quote: "Make every hour of your day count"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 10: 9-11; Genesis 24:63

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59am On Mar 02, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 2, 2017

PRAYING FERVENTLY
TEXT: MATTHEW 14:23

"Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth" (James 5:17).

When the Scottish reformer, John Knox, earnestly prayed, "O Lord, give me Scotland, or I die," God answered his prayer. Prophet Elijah in our text brought down both fire and rain through fervent prayers. After leading Israel to recognise the God of Heaven he prayed seven times fervently till rain fell (1 Kings 19:44-45). Our Lord Jesus Christ prayed fervently before His arrest at the garden of Gethsemane.

Every believer is called to fervent prayer. Some youth disregard prayer. They play while others pray fervently. Some avoid morning devotions and go to bed without fervent prayers. The result is spiritual dryness. Some other youths make empty noise, pretending to be fervent. The power of prayer does not rest in the noise and coherency of grammar. It depends on knowing the God that answers prayers. As Elijah first repaired the broken altar of God before praying for fire to come down, you must mend your relationship with God. It is the fervent prayer of the righteous that avails much.

Challenge: "Wake up from your slumber and be prayerful"

Prayer: "Lord, ignite in me the fervency to pray"

Quote: "Every believer is called to fervent prayer"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 22:40-46

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:33am On Mar 03, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2017

GUN FOR MISSIONS
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 5:20

"Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God" (2 Corinthians 5:20).

Barrister Henry Martyn (1781-1812) was a senior wrangler who graduated from the prestigious Cambridge University with a first class of all first classes and got first Smiths prize man (1801). After receiving the award, he said "I was surprised to find that I had grasped a shadow." He forsook all and became a missionary to the Islamic Indians and Persians. Whatever good thing you need in this world get it by hard work and diligence. Be above only and not beneath.

Youths must remember, like Brother Henry, that all achievements will be a shadow at the end of life if your soul is not saved and if you are not winning souls for Christ. Therefore, in all your pursuits get saved and be preserved in holiness. Never allow the pursuit of earthly excellence to derail you from the way of God. Get involved in soul winning through local missions to neighbouring communities and when opportunity arises for other nations, yield yourself to it.

Challenge: "Tell someone about Jesus today"

Prayer: "Make me a soul winner, O Lord"

Quote: "Get involved in soul winning"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Corinthians 5: 17-21

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:58am On Mar 04, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MARCH 4, 2017

ONE SIN TOO MANY
TEXT: ECCLESIASTES 9:18

"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good" (Ecclesiastes 9:18).

One monkey caused a near national blackout in Kenya, East Africa, after falling on a transformer at Gitaru Hydro-electric power station on June 7, 2016. The transformer tripped, resulting in the loss of 180 megawatts of power.

As with the monkey, our text describes the terrible impact of one evil person. The disobedience of Eve brought the entire world into slavery to sin and Satan. Achan's covetousness in Jericho led to the defeat of the armies of Israel in the battle against Ai. Sometimes the offence of one student brings punishment upon the entire class. Do not ever compromise sin in the house of God but rebuke it and help the sinner to see the danger of his/her evil. Never allow one sin in your life because "the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23). Sin is like a virus of cancer that multiplies itself and difficult to cure. On the other hand, as a holy youth, you can positively affect your community through exemplary lifestyle.

Challenge: "You are the light set on a pole visible to all"

Prayer: "Make me a model of righteousness for others"

Quote: "Never allow one sin in your life"

Bible Reading in one Year: Joshua: 7:10-15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 5, 2017

SEVEN YEARS IN SPACE
TEXT: 1 THESSALONIANS 4:17

"Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thessalonians 4:17).

In June 2016 history was made by Tim Peak and two other astronauts when they returned to the earth after spending six months (186 days) in the International Space Station. During the period, they covered a distance of about 125 million km taking them on about 3,000 orbits of the earth.

Do you know that one day Jesus will take the righteous up from the earth to spend seven years with him in Space? This is called the "rapture" of saints. While the true Christians would be above there the rest of the world will be suffering untold sorrows, sickness, wars and torments under a wicked ruler called the "Anti-Christ." He will give his mark, 666 to those who accept his reign and they shall be damned forever (Revelation 19:20). The only way is for you to repent and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour to partake in the rapture.

Challenge: "The rapture may take place today"

Prayer: "Oh God, save me from my sins in Jesus name"

Quote: "Repent and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 9:27; Revelation 13: 18; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MARCH 6, 2017

DANGEROUS DIETING
TEXT: MARK 8:2

"I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now been with me three days, and have nothing to eat" (Mark 8:2).

Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder characterised by an obsessive desire to lose weight. The Japanese Society for Eating Disorder, claims that the health system is failing hundreds of thousands of sufferers. The pressure on youngsters to be thin has "gone too far." They do not want to be chubby. Motoko was 16 when she wanted to change because other kids bullied her. She severely limited how much she ate and started exercising excessively. At 19 she was dangerously underweight. We should eat moderately.

In our text, today, the Lord Jesus expressed concern over the danger of denying one's body of adequate food. He did not want His followers to faint on their way home, so he fed them with bread and fishes. Being fat does not always imply ill-health or ugliness. The Bible records youths (like Daniel and Rachel) who were well favoured. God who kept these believers healthy and spiritual can keep you too. If you are already suffering from underweight, you may need some counselling.

Challenge: "Regulated and not restricted diet gives good health"

Prayer: "Lord, my health is in your hand"

Quote: "We should eat moderately"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Kings 19: 5-8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:46pm On Mar 07, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 7, 2017

WISDOM IN DANGER
TEXT: JAMES 1:5

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him" (James 1:5).

In April 2016, three men were rescued by the United States Coast guard after they were cast away by a sea wave. They swam to a deserted Pacific Island. They made a fire and also used Palm leaves to write the word "HELP" on the beach which the Navy plane saw and sent help to them.

Every youth needs wisdom in a world of evils and perils. However, worldly wisdom of using unholy methods to succeed should be rejected. The end of this type of wisdom is damnation in hellfire. Godly wisdom is what the Christian youth needs to win the battles of life. It grows from the fear of God leading to righteousness. It prepares one for victory in temptation and eternity with God. This was the wisdom that made Abel offer acceptable sacrifice to God and the three Hebrew youths to refuse to bow down to the golden image of king Nebuchadnezzar. It preserved Philip's daughters in chastity. "Wisdom is the principal thing" (Proverbs 4:7). Salvation through Jesus assures wisdom.

Challenge: "Worldly wisdom has no lasting gains"

Prayer: "Give me wisdom to do your will always, O Lord!"

Quote: "Salvation through Jesus assures wisdom"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 8: 17-20

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:38am On Mar 08, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8, 2017

DEMONIC GAMES
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 10:7

"Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play" (1 Corinthians 10:7).

Many games, music, dances and songs have demonic undertone and incantations. In July 2016, 22 school girls became demon afflicted in a "Charlie - Charlie" Spanish game called Juego de la lapicera in Colombia. After the game the girls were screaming, mumbling incoherently, hallucinating and foaming at the mouth (epileptic), suffering seizures and fainting. No wonder many actors, singers and dancers are affiliated to satanic cults.

God warns Christians neither to dance nor dine with devils. It is a dangerous unequal yoke. Light and darkness can never mix. The Lord Jesus, the prophets and apostles, never felicitated with agents of devils. Christian youths are therefore warned never to engage themselves in ungodly games, plays, songs and dances including visits to fetish houses and shrines. You "cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of devils" (1 Corinthians 10:21).

Challenge: "Do not expose yourself to the devil"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from evil songs and dances!"

Quote: "Light and darkness can never mix"

Bible Reading in one Year: Exodus 32: 17-25

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:51am On Mar 09, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 9, 2017

CHRISTIAN BE CLEAN
TEXT: ISAIAH 52:11

"Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD" (Isaiah 52:11).

"The future is clean. The future is you. The future is now. Let's take it further." These were the arrival words of Mr. Bertrand Piccard at Abu Dhabi airport on 27th July 2016. He and copilot, Mr. Andre Borschberg, circled the world with Solar Impulse plane. The vision for solar powered planes and appliances came from the desire to clean the world of pollution from smoke of burning fuel.

Uncleanliness is harmful to the body, the environment and to the soul in man. The unclean is not fit to handle the holy vessels for God's service. He is abhorred by holy people, the holy Angels and by the holy God. Spiritual cleanliness is by Jesus' blood as the sinner confesses his/her sins in genuine repentance for past evils. The door will soon be closed against those who delay. If you are still a sinner, let today be your salvation day; thereafter, live holily in readiness for Christ's coming.

Challenge: "The unclean will not enter heaven"

Prayer: "Lord, keep me clean for your clean heaven!"

Quote: "Spiritual cleanliness is by Jesus' blood"

Bible Reading in one Year: Revelation 22:10-16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:27am On Mar 10, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 2017

BALANCE WORK AND REST
TEXT: ECCLESIASTES 3:1

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

Alan Cohen said, "There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither." The Lord, Jesus Christ admonished His disciples saying, "Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while" (Mark 6:31). Humans are generally weak and need to find time to rest after engaging in normal work for a length of time. It is generally said that "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

There is no alternative to hard work. Be serious with your school work. However, you must find time to rest even when you don't feel weak. "There is time for everything." Ensure you observe your siesta at the appropriate time regularly. Rest refreshes your body and mind for better work. It makes you more focused, more productive and creative. God blesses the work of His children, like Joseph in Egypt. Are you His Child?

Challenge: "Rest refreshes your body and mind"

Prayer: "O God, help me to work hard and rest well"

Quote: "God blesses the work of His children"

Bible Reading in one Year: Mark 6:31, Matthew 11: 28

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55am On Mar 11, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MARCH 11, 2017

CALMING ANGER
TEXT: PROVERBS 15:1

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger" (Proverbs 15:1).

An angry person feels very grieved and displeased about someone or something. Anger causes some people to do bad things that they would later regret. Sometimes anger leads to quarrel, fight or murder. It has broken many friendships and other relationships. That is why Horace said that, "Anger is a momentary madness, so control your passion or it will control you." The biblical story of Abigail, the wife of Nabal, depicts the effective way of calming anger. David would have killed Nabal and all the males in his family for insulting and dishonouring him if Abigail had not humbly gone to appease David (1 Samuel 25: 22).

Avoid anger like a plague. Be careful with angry people. Be silent when you are confronted by an angry man. Be calm and answer such a one in a pleasant way. "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt." In order to be able to do this, you must be saved and sanctified. You can pray and receive these experiences now.

Challenge: "To rule one's anger is well, to prevent it is even better"

Prayer: "Teach me O Lord to be calm before an angry person"

Quote: "Be careful with angry people"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 25: 23-30

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:22pm On Mar 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 12, 2017

FOLLOW AFTER RIGHTEOUSNESS
TEXT: PROVERBS 15:9

"The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness" (Proverbs 15:9).

The word righteousness is synonymous with holiness; it happens when a person's life conforms to God's word. It is the state of being right with God. However, it is not our own righteousness which is as "filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). Charles H. Spurgeon declared, "Nothing can damn a man but his own righteousness, nothing can save him but the righteousness of Christ." Daniel was a young man, who loved and practised righteousness. He was devoted to the worship of God even in the midst of persecution in Babylon. No fault could be found in him by his enemies and when in their envy he was cast into the den of lions, God delivered him. (Daniel 6:3-23). Praise the Lord!

Like Daniel, we should follow after righteousness, for God loves such people and favours them. However, the sinner cannot follow after righteousness. He must be born again because it comes through Jesus Christ. If you are a sinner give your Life to Him now and you will be able to live righteously and stand for Christ everywhere like Daniel.

Challenge: "Jesus is our standard of righteousness"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to lead a righteous life"

Quote: "The sinner cannot follow after righteousness"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 6:10-11; Philippians 3:7-9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MARCH 13, 2017

ENEMY AT WORK
TEXT: MATTHEW 13:27,28A

"So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this" (Matthew 13:27, 28a).

The parable of the wheat and tares shows to us clearly that Satan can put his agents in the Church. The 'tares' can be a source of problem in the church. The mixed multitude that followed Israel out of Egypt were carnal (Numbers 11:4). There are also pretenders and sinners in Christ's church today. But as seen in our text we cannot send them away. Matthew Henry says, "Though gross transgressors, and such as openly oppose the gospel, ought to be separated from the society of the faithful, yet no human skill can make an exact separation. Those who oppose must not be cut off but instructed, and that with meekness." Jesus will do the just separation on the Day of Judgment.

Beloved, if you attend a good school or a good church and some of the youth are wayward, rejecting the word of God, you should neither imitate them nor speak evil of them. God can save the human 'tares' just as He is perfecting you by His word for His kingdom.

Challenge: "There are still pretenders in the Church"

Prayer: "Give me the grace to love everyone, oh Lord"

Quote: "Satan can put his agents in the church"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 13:24-30; Hebrews 12:14

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 14, 2017

BLOSSOMING ON ROCKS
TEXT: PSALM 146:7-8

"Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving who prepareth rain for the earth, who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains" (Psalm 146:7-8.).

Life is full of challenges which we can liken to rocks or problems in our way to success. However, the Christian youth must always remember that we are created to have dominion. God is also aware of our difficulties and will never forsake us but make a way out for those who continually put their trust in Him. Our attitude in such moment is critical. Harold W. Ruoff said, "In the presence of trouble, some people grow wings; others buy crutches."

Accepting defeat is letting go our dreams of a glorious future, but when we put up the victor's spirit, knowing that we can do all things through Christ Jesus, the impossible becomes possible. Are you in a tough place and you think that you will fail? Well, you will not only survive but blossom. Joseph was a slave in Egypt but he prospered; Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were captives in Babylon, but they were successful spiritually and educationally. How about the orphan Esther? She became a Queen. You will also succeed in Jesus name.

Challenge: "If grass can blossom on rocky mountains, why should I fear"

Prayer: "Teach me Lord, to blossom on rocks"

Quote: "You will also succeed"

Bible Reading in one Year: Jeremiah 29:11

See more at:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15, 2017

JOY OF ANSWERED PRAYERS
TEXT: 1 SAMUEL 2:1

"And Hannah prayed, and said, my heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation" (1 Samuel 2:1).

Just try to recall how you prayed, even with the support of your parents, to enter a good high school, and how joyful you were when the answer came. The same applies to a Christian youth who works hard and prays for admission into an institution of higher learning. The graduation day is even more joyful. He recalls all his experiences from his first day at school, challenges overcome through prayers and people met on the way to achieving his goal within the past years. It would seem like it happened yesterday, just like a flash! All the prayers and midnight candles burnt are said to be worth it because of the joy of achievement.

Looking at our text above, one could therefore imagine the joy of Hannah after her prayer for a male child was answered by God. According to John Calvin, "Prayer is the chief exercise of faith and the way in which we daily receive God's benefits." Why not pray for your spiritual and material needs since God answers prayers?

Challenge: "Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to rejoice in you only"

Quote: "Why not pray since God answers prayers?"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 2: 1-5, 21; Jeremiah 29:11-13

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.