Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,245 members, 7,811,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Higher Everyday — Look And Live - Religion (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Look And Live (1385326 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Feb 22, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 22, 2018

SHOW YOUR WEDDING GARMENT
TEXT: MATTHEW 22:13

"And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment" (Matthew 22:11).

A teenage boy, after completing high school, was assisted to travel overseas. He successfully departed the shores of his country. But on arrival at his destination, his entry visa was discovered at the airport to be fake. He was accosted and deported to his country of origin. That nation had not room for illegal immigrants. In the same vein, no sinner can enter heaven.

Every person wears some kind of garment, a religious garb that describes our identities in the spirit world, whether or not they know it. After you rapture at the marriage supper of the Lamb, the church shall appear in fine linen which symbolizes the righteousness of the saints (Revelation 19:6-8.) Many who are termed Christians today might be embarrassed on the last day to find themselves excluded from the true Church by the King of Kings who examines His Church and fishes out people with fake garments - sin-stained souls. Those who fail to approach Jesus today for cleansing would be cast out on the last day because of their sin-stained souls.

Challenge: "You may acquire a Blood-cleansed soul today, for free!"

Prayer: "Father, cleanse my soul and keep it pure until I behold your face."

Quote: "No sinner can enter heaven"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 22:1-14; 25:1-13

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2018

TACT FOR SOUL WINNING
TEXT: MATTHEW 22:13

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul" (2 Samuel 12:7).

Sent by God, and determined to fulfill his ministry while also keeping safe, prophet Nathan had to create a hypothetical case which he presented to King David. Innocently, David delivered an impartial judgment on a case he mistook for real. David's response provided a good entry point for Nathan to convict David of his sinfulness in the matter of Bathsheba. If Nathan lacked tact, he could have easily lost his life in the process of delivering his God-given message; and David probably, would not have repented.

Tact is an important skill that enables us to know the right occasion and choose the right words that will lead to the conversion of sinners. And the Holy Spirit grants this skill to sincere seekers. He is the Director of the Mission work and when we pray, He will give us the message for each person and how to deliver it. For example, Jesus preached salvation to both Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman. But while he used a direct method with the former, He approached the latter in an indirect manner and both were convicted.

Challenge: "Only round pegs can fit into round holes."

Prayer: "O God, grant me access to your Spirit of wisdom in Jesus' name."

Quote: "The Holy Spirit grants this skill to sincere seekers"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Samuel 12:1-15

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Feb 24, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2018

THE FINAL TRUMP
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 15:52

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump; for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed" (1 Corinthians 15:52).

It is common knowledge that the last whistle from the referee bears the longest blast in every soccer competition. Whatever trumpets you have heard of before, at any event, be it musical concert, military parade, war, or special college and national celebrations, shall pale into insignificance, compared to that at the rapture of the saints by our Lord Jesus Christ. This last trumpet sound will be so powerful that it will even raise up the dead in Christ. See how the event is beautifully captured in this hymn:

When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound,
And time shall be no more,
And the morning breaks, eternal, bright and fair;
When the saved on earth shall gather over on other shore,
And the role is called up yonder, I'll be there.

Faithful Christians, the world over, are expecting the final trump, announcing the rapture of the saints. Sinners and backsliders cannot hear it; only the saints. Are you prepared to hear this trump?

Challenge: "You still have an opportunity while the final trump lingers."

Prayer: "Aid me, Lord, to hear the final trump lingers."

Quote: "Are you prepared to hear this trump?"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58pm On Feb 25, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 25, 2018

THE GREAT QUESTION
TEXT: JOB 25:4

"How then can man be justified with God? Or how can he clean that is born of a woman?" (Job 25:4).

I recall my primary school days, when my class teacher repeatedly told us that bright students were known by their disposition to asking questions in class. While I agree with his idea, I now know, from personal experience, that asking good or relevant questions is actually more important than their frequency and volume. Our text today presents the most important question of all time, bordering on the purpose of human existence! However, it is aptly answered thus: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Romans 10:9).

Every wise-hearted person must ask this question. And God is waiting, willing to provide personalised response that redeems a soul from eternal damnation. Many people argue that holiness is not possible in this world. However, God commands that we should be holy, for He is holy. He has made holiness possible by the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross to cleanse and justify us, the Bible to guide us and the Holy Ghost to empower us. Yes, because of Jesus. we can be clean.

Challenge: "Truly, everyone that seeks must find."

Prayer: "Father, please lead me into the secret place of the Most High."

Quote: "Yes, because of Jesus we can be clean?"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 10:8-13

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:33am On Feb 27, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY FEBRUARY 26, 2018

TIMELY INVESTMENT
TEXT: ECCLESIASTES 3:17

"I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work" (Ecclesiastes 3:17).

According to Kishor pate, CMD, Amit enterprises housing Limited, at age 55, "the time to experiment with 'speculative' investment should be over." This underscores the scriptural assertion, "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Life on earth is limited by time. Even the greatest endeavours of life would be totally meaningless if not embarked upon at the appropriate age and time. If people like William Shakespeare, Fredric Handel, Miriam Webster, Thomas Edison, Graham Bell, Henry Ford and a host of other achievers had delayed action and failed to make their great achievements, what a great loss it would have been! While you are still young, invest well in your education and career. "Strike while the iron is hot," so goes an adage.

In the same vein, the time to serve the LORD is now, since no one can predict tomorrow. Felix lost a rare opportunity to embrace Christ while he postponed it to "a convenient season" (Acts 24:25). He must now regret eternally. Invest in your eternity right now.

Challenge: "Wouldn't you prefer an eternity in heaven? I know you would."

Prayer: "Father, help me to avoid procrastination and embrace Christ today."

Quote: "Invest well in your eternity right now"

Bible Reading in one Year: Ecclesiastes 3:1-22

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02pm On Feb 27, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2018

WOUNDS FROM WINE
TEXT: PROVERBS 23:29-30

"Who hath woe? Who hath sorrow? Who hath contentions? Who hath babbling? Who hath wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine" (Proverbs 23:29-30).

Woe? Sorrow? Contentions? Babbling? Wound without cause and redness of eyes? What an army of evils that drunkenness alone offers its captives! This was why Ray Comfort said, "A man who gives himself to the demon of alcohol becomes a slave to its addictive properties. It mocks him, it steals his dignity. It takes control of his will."

While watching a television advertisement many years ago, a smart teenager correctly spotted the advertiser's trick: frequent repetition of a phrase, that the particular beer was good. Recognizing the deception in the advert, the boy also repeatedly queried, "Please tell us how your product may nourish one's body."

Well, that question seems aptly answered by our Bible text above: Six-fold evil is what alcohol delivers to its slaves, culminating in organ destruction and eventual death! Then follows eternal damnation in hellfire. But you could quit now, trusting Jesus to heal your body and soul. The choice is yours.

Challenge: "Drunkenness is nothing else but a voluntary madness."

Prayer: "Deliver me, O God, from the six-fold, self-inflicted wounds of alcoholism."

Quote: "But you could quit now"

Bible Reading in one Year: Proverbs 31:1-7

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:28am On Feb 28, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2018

LIFTING UP HOLY HANDS
TEXT: 1 TIMOTHY 2:8

"I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting" (1 Timothy 2:8 ).

Praising and worshipping God in the beauty of holiness is His expectation from the young and old. Let us share Javis Mays' portrayal of it in these fine lyrics:

"Come on, let's praise the Lord,
Come on and lift up holy hands.
Come on, let's praise the Lord,
Come on and magnify his name.
Come on, let's praise the Lord."

God always requires holiness in worship. It is wonderful to find youths gather in various groups for praise and worship. However, it is sad to note that not all appear with clean hands and pure heart. Some leave for worship straight from places where they have just told lies, displayed foolish anger, committed an act of immortality or acted rudely to their parents. Any sinful act must be repented of and abstained from before worship. God commands, "Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil" (Isaiah 1:16). It is only then can our worship be a sweet smelling savour unto God.

Challenge: "To ascend unto the hills of the Lord, be holy!"

Prayer: "Purge me of every sin, Oh Lord."

Quote: "God always requires holiness in worship"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Corinthians 6:17

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07am On Mar 01, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY MARCH 01, 2018

EDUCATION FOR FUTURE CAREER
TEXT: ACTS 7:22

"And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds" (Acts 7:22).

According to Ed Markey, "Education is not only a ladder of opportunity, but it is also an investment in our future. " Our text gives us an insight into the life of Moses. He had the option to only enjoy the splendour of the palace by indulging in wine, women and other sources of carnal pleasure. However, he chose to discipline himself to acquire knowledge in all fields of learning available to the Egyptians in preparation for a great future, especially as a possible future king. In the modern era, an heir apparent to the throne goes for as much education as possible, even up to a doctorate degree level in order to be a competent ruler.

Every Christian youth is an ambassador of Christ in a royalty priesthood, and so must strive to acquire both secular and Christian education to be able to represent Christ well on earth like Moses, Paul, the apostle and Luke the physician. Regardless of what your future goals are, education is essential to success, even in business. Moreover, be holy and prayerful.

Challenge: "Learn as much as you can"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me learn diligently."

Quote: "Education is essential to success"

Bible Reading in one Year: Colossians 1:7; Philippians 4:7

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:47am On Mar 02, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 02, 2018

THE POWER OF PRAISE
TEXT: ACTS 7:22

"And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them" (Acts 16:25).

It is often easier to sing praises and worship God when we have a testimony to share than when we are in a very hard situation. However, Paul and Silas in our text understood the power of praise and took to worshipping God even when they were still held captive. Little wonder C. S. Lewis wrote, "Only in the act of praise and worship can a person learn to believe in the goodness and greatness of God." Paul and Silas offered praises as sacrifice to God and it worked for them! It will work for you too. Let us worship God with this chorus now:

We bring sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord (2x)
As we offer unto thee
the sacrifices of Thanksgiving
As we offer unto thee,
the sacrifice of praise.

Praises unlock closed doors and make God act on our behalf. In hard times, we should always reflect on the many good acts of God we have enjoyed in time past, then can we see reasons to praise the Lord.

Challenge: "Praise the Lord at all times"

Prayer: "Bless the Lord Oh my Soul."

Quote: "Paul and Silas offered a sacrifice of praise to God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 47:6, 34:1

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:36pm On Mar 03, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY MARCH 3, 2018

PREACH THE WORD
TEXT: 2 TIMOTHY 4:2

"Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine" (2 Timothy 4:2).

Our text reveals to us an indisputable command to tell others about the love of Jesus at ALL times. As a songwriter puts it:

"We must arise... there is no time to waste,
Preach the word while you may,
Tell them that Jesus loves them."

This is our God-given crucial responsibility and purpose for which Christ was wounded and crucified. Sadly, however, youths often find it easier discussing the latest trends in sports, music, fashion and other social events that telling a lost soul that Jesus saves. We must sound the alarm. Statistics by the world Death Clock states that per minute 106.60 people die. Every hour, 6,392.70 people die and every day it is 153,424.70. Of these numbers are youths who have never heard the salvation message and those waiting till a more convenient time to decide for Christ. Therefore we must play our part to bring them to Christ before it is too late.

Challenge: "Preach the Word while you may"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to do thy will."

Quote: "We must sound the alarm"

Bible Reading in one Year: Ezekiel 3:17; 33:6,7

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:26am On Mar 05, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY MARCH 4, 2018

LET OTHERS SEE JESUS IN YOU
TEXT: ACTS 11:26

".....And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch....." (Acts 11:26).

The word Christian does not refer to every churchgoer as often used today or anybody who bears a Christian name. Rather it means true followers of Christ or little Christs. A retired army General in an African country once declared to the news media, "That I am called John does not make me a Christian devotee."

Others cannot see Jesus in faithless people like that. The term Christian denotes Christ's followers who by nature of living like Christ have become little versions of Christ. Little wonder the people of Antioch called the disciples Christians for the first time because their lives were a reflection of the crucified Jesus Christ.

Our lifestyles also should be so unique that others would see in us the reflection of the crucified Jesus. This can be observed in many ways: (1) Our love for God, our brethren, enemies and others (2) Practical manifestation of the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, long-suffering, meekness, temperance, etc. and (3) Devotional life - prayer, Bible study, fellowship and service to God and humanity. Are you like Jesus Christ?

Challenge: "Be faithful and true to our Redeemer"

Prayer: "Help me O God, to live for Christ both day and night."

Quote: "Are you like Christ?"

Bible Reading in one Year: Mathew 5:12-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53am On Mar 05, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY MARCH 5, 2018

BE PATIENT
TEXT: JAMES 5:8

"Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh" (James 5:8 ).

On the need for patience, a writer said. "The line between failure and success is so fine that we are often on the line and do not know it. How many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience. would have achieved success!"

Patience as a virtue is fast becoming obsolete. However, there is the need to exercise patience as we wait for the Lord's return. Indeed, some people doubt it, "And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation" (2 Peter 3:4). Saints should however not mind their sneers but remain steadfast in the faith.

The hustle and bustle of the present age should not make saints to doubt or lose focus of the coming of the Lord. Rather, let us be ready, keep waiting patiently and labour till the Master, comes. His promise is sure, "I come quickly." If you are still a sinner, God's patience is for your salvation.

Challenge: "Soon we shall hear the Bridegroom's voice. Be ready"

Prayer: "Lord make me worthy at your coming."

Quote: "God's patience is for your salvation"

Bible Reading in one Year: Revelation 3:11; 22:7,11,20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:24am On Mar 06, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY MARCH 6, 2018

CHRIST WAS CONSECRATED
TEXT: JAMES 5:8

"In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, 0 God" (Hebrews 10:6, 7).

When the soldiers of Napoleon's army invaded Russia, they came to a village from which all the symbol of inhabitants had fled except one man. When the French captain saw him he ordered him to be shot The man was looking fearlessly. The captain ordered them to lower their guns. He said we will brand him." So the branding iron was brought out and placed in the fire. It was placed upon the Russian's hand and letter "N" was branded on his palm. The captain said, "The letter 'N' stands for Napoleon; you belong to Napoleon now." This patriotic Russian placed his burned hand on something solid, took an axe and severed his own hand. He said, "The hand may belong to Napoleon, but I am a Russian. If I must die, I will die a Russian."

Oh that Christian youth may be so consecrated today! The symbol of Christianity is a cross and not a rocking chair. We must be ready to suffer and sacrifice for our faith to show our loyalty to Jesus. The price is entire consecration.

Challenge: "Calvary love demands my all"

Prayer: "Lord, I give up my own ambitions and accept thy will for my life."

Quote: "The Symbol of Christianity is the cross"

Bible Reading in one Year: John 4:34; 5:30

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:30am On Mar 07, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY MARCH 7, 2018

CORRUPT COMMUNICATION
TEXT: EPHESIANS 4:29

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers" (Ephesians 4:29).

Someone said, "The tongue has no bone but is strong enough to break a heart". The words that come out of the mouth show the state of the heart. Immoral words, abusive words, cutting criticisms, mockery, intemperate speech, hate speech, derisive words to any person, are like the sword that can tear the heart in pieces. Filthy language, exaggeration and jokes all come under corrupt communication. Our words are like a raw egg. Once it breaks, it cannot be gathered together again. Once they are released like scud missiles, they wreak havoc.

Think before you talk. Be sure you taste your words before you spit them out because you may be asked to swallow them back. Pray for salvation and sanctification if you have a bitter tongue. There is the need to be watchful especially when one is in a bad mood so that one does not speak carelessly. Bad mood can be changed; bad utterances cannot. To avoid corrupt communication, the heart must be Purged by the blood of Jesus.

Challenge: "If you have nothing edifying to say, say nothing at all"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to always speak to edify those who hear me."

Quote: "Think before you talk"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 12:33-37

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY MARCH 8, 2018

FREEDOM FROM FEAR
TEXT: 1 JOHN 4:18

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love" (1 John 4:18).

We all have felt at one time or another in varying degrees. It could be a fear of the past, present or future. Whatever it may be, never permit it because it has torment. In his book, Christian counselling, Ron Smith said, "There are several fear instigators - a sense of inadequacy, inferiority, or guilt. Personal health, daily work or home relationship." King Saul and the whole army of Israel felt inadequate before Goliath and were for forty days paralyzed by fear before young David appeared and defeated him.

Why do you fear? Is it issues relating to examination, school admission, finances, temptations, a difficult teacher or boss posing like a Goliath? We can overcome all our fears if, like David, we know and have a relationship with Jehovah El Shaddai, the God Almighty. Accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour now and God will give you victory over fear. God has not given us the spirit of fear but of love and of a sound mind. Feed on God's word and overcome fear.

Challenge: "The only thing to fear is fear. Give your fear to God"

Prayer: "Dear God, help me to trust you always instead of being fearful."

Quote: "Feed on God's word and overcome fear"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 John 4:18; John 6:20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:14am On Mar 09, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY MARCH 9, 2018

FROM ASSISTANT TO A LEADER
TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 34:9

"And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him and did as the LORD commanded Moses" (Deuteronomy 34:9).

Someone said that. "If you want to become a great leader, you must first become a great follower." Assisting a good leader who is a role model and mentor is a grooming process. One learns about being a good leader by learning to be a good follower. In the process of following a leader, we can learn some important skills that will make us better future leaders.

Joshua as a good assistant displayed good qualities. There was no record of argument when he was assigned to go to the battle against the Amalekites. He was sincere, loyal and fully committed to Moses. He always submitted to his authority. When God placed on him the mantle of leadership, the people voluntarily submitted to his authority. A good assistant supports his leader to ensure overall success of the work and in humility suggests areas of correction whenever the leader is making any mistake. Moreover if you are saved you will assist and lead better. You can assist in the home, school, Church or office and pave the way for a great future.

Challenge: "He who cannot follow cannot lead others"

Prayer: "Lord, assist me to always support my superiors."

Quote: "If you are saved you will assist.... better"

Bible Reading in one Year: Genesis 39:1-6

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY MARCH 10, 2018

MEEKNESS: A VIRTUE IN MOSES
TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 34:9

"(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth)" (Numbers 12:3).

During the Revolutionary War at Valley Forge, a corporal was directing three men as they tried to lift a log into place. It was too heavy, but the corporal commanded again and again, "All right, men, one, two, three, lift!" A man in an overcoat came by and said to the corporal 'Why don't you help them?" The corporal pulled himself up to full height and replied, "Sir, I am a corporal." Without a word the man stepped over and with his help, the log went easily into place. The man was George Washington, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.

Our text extols the virtue of meekness in Moses. The natural man cannot be gentle toward attackers, but Moses was gentle toward Miriam and Aaron, his critics. Meekness is opposed to conflict, violence or anger. Meekness makes us care about God's honour and what happens to others rather than our own self-esteem. However, meekness is not weakness. It is strength of character. It is behaving with goodness and kindness to others, showing serenity, self-control and healthy self-worth.

Challenge: "Be like the Master in meekness"

Prayer: "Lord Jesus, help me to always reflect your meekness."

Quote: "However, meekness is not weakness"

Bible Reading in one Year: Isaiah 53:7-9

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY MARCH 11, 2018

OBEDIENCE
TEXT: HEBREWS 13:17

"Obey them that have the rule over you, submit yourselves; for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you" (Hebrews 13:17).

Dwight L. Moody was thinking of "Trust and Obey" when he wrote this summary of the Christian walk: "The blood (of Christ) alone makes us safe. The Word alone makes us sure. Obedience (to God) makes us happy." Naturally, human beings like to rebel; we do not want to be told what to do, because we think that we always know what is best. When something is difficult or does not make sense to us we reject it.

We are commanded to obey all authorities as long as their commandments do not conflict with that of God. We should be obedient to our school prefects, class captains, masters, parents, pastors, teachers, the laws of the land and definitely, God. Salvation crushes and uproots the rebellion tendencies in man and gives grace to be obedient to all ordinances of men and God. We must trust and obey God because:
"......the favour He shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey."

Challenge: "Obedience is an evidence of genuine conversion"

Prayer: "Lord, as I walk the path of obedience, fill my heart with joy."

Quote: "We must trust and obey God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 13:1-3; 16:19

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:06am On Mar 12, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY MARCH 12, 2018

OVERCOME YOUR STIGMA
TEXT: HEBREWS 11:31

"By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace" (Hebrews 11:31).

A stigma refers to attitudes and beliefs that lead people to reject, avoid, or fear those they perceive as socially unacceptable. It is a symbol of disgrace or infamy. Nick Vujicic has no limbs and hands, yet is an evangelist and a motivational speaker. He overcame his limitations and lives such an amazing life. Rahab was a woman of abandoned character. As a harlot, she belonged to a low class of human beings that many would not want to be associated with. Her strong faith in God made her to risk her life in protecting Israeli spies. Her action of faith paid off when the Israeli soldiers invaded Jericho to destroy the city and she was spared along with her entire family. Rahab later became an ancestress of Jesus.

Are you ashamed or humiliated by anything in your life? Nothing should frustrate your goal in life. You can still be fulfilled in life whatever your shortcomings or background. Be born again and give your stigma to Jesus; He turns sorrows into joy.

Challenge: "Don't let your bad past hinder your future prospects"

Prayer: "Dear Father, help me to ignore my limitations and forge ahead."

Quote: "Give your stigma to Jesus"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Kings 5: 1-14

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:56am On Mar 13, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 13,2018

POWER FOR PREACHING
TEXT: ACTS 1:8

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8 ).

The preaching of the gospel is not just an event; it is the daily priority of sharing the gospel by Christians. This is the main reason for our existence here on earth after our conversion. Every saved youth must decide to be radically obedient to the Great Commission. We must share the gospel with a radiant life and faith

As youths. we need the Holy Spirit's power for effective, soul-piercing preaching like Peter, Paul and Stephen and to publish the gospel with zeal and power to obtain great results. God has made provision for the power through the experience of Holy Ghost baptism. To obtain this experience, ensure that you are born again, then separate from any form of filth and stay holy.

Moreover, consecrate your life entirely to the Lord. As you earnestly pray in faith to receive the experience, the power will surely come with the biblical evidence of speaking in new unlearned tongue, "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

Challenge: "Obedience is an evidence of genuine conversion"

Prayer: "Lord, increase my thirst for the Holy Ghost power."

Quote: "God has made provision for the power"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 24:46-49

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:57am On Mar 14, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14, 2018

YOU CAN BE CLEAN
TEXT: EZEKIEL 36:25

"Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean; from your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you" (Ezekiel 36:25).

"The greatest miracle that God can do today is to make an unholy man out of an unholy world, and make that man holy and put him back into that unholy world and keep him holy in it," said Leonard Ravenhill. It is quite true that no one can live a holy life by himself because man is by nature sinful. Self-efforts to gain freedom from the bondage and tyranny of sin will be a futile exercise.

The only hope for any man who wants freedom from the captivity and pollution of sin is Jesus Christ. The two-fold cleansing is reiterated in our text; first, at salvation, when the fruits of sin is taken away and second, at sanctification, when the propensity to sin is totally uprooted.

The essence of Christ's sacrifice is not just for our happiness or health but our holiness. God's aim for full salvation is the production of saints with the ability to always live holy. Jesus' blood makes the vilest sinner clean. Come to Him now, He will make you holy.

Challenge: "Jesus' blood is the only solution to man's sinfulness"

Prayer: "Create in me a clean heart, oh God!"

Quote: "Jesus' blood makes the vilest sinner clean"

Bible Reading in one Year: LEVITICUS 20:7,8

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 15, 2018

OUR DREAM'S WORTH
TEXT: EZEKIEL 36:25

"For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words" (Ecclesiastes 5:3).

The film, Dream big: Engineering Our World, with its narrator, Jeff Brigs, is a film that transforms how the world thinks about engineering. It celebrates the human ingenuity and the incredible things that man can achieve through the power of imagination and drive to explore the unknown. While natural dreams are sequences of images appearing involuntarily to one's mind during sleep, which may be pleasant or unpleasant, the dreams we are concerned about here are the things one longs for or has ambition for.

Great achievements are products of great dreams. Therefore, pray to God and dream big. You can be the architect of the most magnificent edifice in the world; an expert that breaks new grounds in Information and Communications technology; a scientist who discovers solutions to the world's most debilitating diseases or an Evangelist with global outreach like Billy Graham. If you have worthwhile dreams, God is able to help you realise them. The starting point is accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. Surely, He will enable you to soar high as an eagle.

Challenge: "Dreamt Big!"

Prayer: "Lord, give me dreams worth dreaming in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Great achievements are products of great dreams.
"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 1:37

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY MARCH 16, 2018

HELP YOUR SOUL TO WIN
TEXT: 1 PETER 2:11

"Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul" (1 Peter 2:11).

There is a constant battle over your soul. The flesh fights the spirit with each trying to take control over your soul. Each party uses all arsenals available to it in this all-important battle. The flesh aligns with Satan to lure you away from the Lord Jesus. He uses the pleasure of the flesh through the various sense organs as weapons of warfare. On the contrary, the Holy Spirit draws the believer to Jesus Christ, enabling him to use the whole armour of God, to overcome. Praise God! Let us rejoice with this hymn:

There is vict'ry within my soul
For the Spirit with me abides,
Let the waves of temptation roll,
Jesus keeps me whate'ver betides.

Beloved, you are a stranger in this world, a pilgrim heading for heaven. Stand with Jesus in the battle for your soul. Abstain from immorality, alcohol, drugs and every appearance of evil. The least you can do for yourself is to determine that your soul is not lost.

Challenge: "Ensure your soul is not lost!"

Prayer: "Lord, help to keep my soul from destruction"

Quote: "The flesh fights the spirit."
Bible Reading in one Year: Galatians 5:16-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY MARCH 17, 2018

BE STRONG
TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 15:7

"Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded" (2 Chronicles 15:7).

Academic success and victorious Christian living require courage and determination by the youth. The uniform teaching of the Scriptures is that a Christian must be a hard working person as God abhors indolence. Proverbs 10:4 says, "He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich." This hymn states it clearly:

"Let not thy hand be slack!
Fear not! Be strong!"
Cease not to make attack
On every wrong.
Press on for truth and right,
Hold high the Gospel light
Expel the dirge of night
with heaven's song!

God repeatedly admonished Joshua, "Be Thou strong and very courageous", as he faced a new challenge of leading the Israelites to conquer the Promised Land. Similarly, when Sennacherib, king of Assyria, laid siege to Judah in 2 Chronicles 32, the godly king, Hezekiah urged the people to be strong and courageous." He assured that God and His hosts stood with the people of Judah and that as such, they didn't need to fear Sennacherib. Be strong as you face your studies, career and God's work.

Challenge: "Don't deal with a slack hand"

Prayer: "Lord, keep me strong"

Quote: "The hand of the diligent maketh rich."

Bible Reading in one Year: JOSHUA 1:1-9

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2018

YOUR ROLE MODEL
TEXT: HEBREWS 6:12

"That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises" (Hebrews 6:12).

Social scientists have proven that youths learn more from observation and imitation. It is common knowledge that young people imitate the behaviour of those whom they admire. These are role models. There is a psychological attachment between youths and their role models. Consequently, they often grow to be like such models. Role models make positive or negative impacts on those who take after them, depending on the lifestyle of the role model. Those you are to follow as role models must be godly and trustworthy. According to T. Ritchard Chase, "If a leader demonstrates competency, genuine concern for others and admirable character, people will follow."

Our text enjoins us to "follow" those who are good examples of faith and patience. It is imperative for you to have faith in the Master, Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. It is equally important that you exercise patience and walk consistently with Christ throughout your life on earth. Faith and patience are two characteristics you must exhibit in your Christian living, academic pursuit and career path.

Challenge: "Who is your role model?"

Prayer: "Lord, guide me in my choice of role models"

Quote: "Role models make negative or positive impacts."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 11: 1-3

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:49am On Mar 19, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY MARCH 19, 2018

COMPASSIONATE CHRIST
TEXT: MATTHEW 14:14

"And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick" (Matthew 14:14).

Miriam Webster's Dictionary defines compassion as, "Sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it." Jesus saw a great multitude of helpless sick folks, as shown in our text, and took immediate step to help by healing them. Jesus expects His children to show the same attitude when they see people who are distressed or troubled. His story of the Good Samaritan is a good example.

Sadly, some youths would ridicule those in distress by laughing at them instead of showing compassion. This is an ungodly manner which should not be identified with Christian youths. Never mimic a stammer or limp to ridicule the stammering and lame persons respectively or laugh at anyone's misfortune. Anyone who does so has not tasted of the love of Calvary. As a Christian, you are to identify with Jesus; show compassion; help those in distress; alleviate the suffering of the less privileged and volunteer to help the helpless around you as much as possible.

Challenge: "Lend a helping hand"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, give me a compassionate heart!"

Quote: "Identify with Jesus: show passion."

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 14:15 -21

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52am On Mar 20, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2018

SERVICE ON THE SABBATH
TEXT: MARK 3:4

"And He saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath day, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace" (Mark 3:4).

The subject of whether or not it is right to work on Sabbath days remains controversial among Christians, today. This is unnecessary.
The controversy stems from the misunderstanding of the practice of the Sabbath, as commanded by God to the Israelites in Exodus 20: 8-1. By
our current weekdays, the Sabbath falls on Saturday. However, some have translated it to mean Sunday. Romans I4:5 shows how insignificant the importance humans attach to different days. Jesus, our Master, in Matthew I2:1-8 demonstrated the futility of strict adherence to the Mosaic Law. In Mark 3:5, He healed the man with the withered hand on the Sabbath against the belief of the Pharisees. Jesus, the Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath.

To serve the Lord and humanity on the Sabbath Day is acceptable to God. Those who do essential services such as in the armed forces, hospitals, and electric power supply may work on Sundays, and students can study after Sunday worship services. Christian youths should not enslave themselves with the scriptural observances of the Pharisees.

Challenge: "Keep everyday holy"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to avoid legalism!"

Quote: "The Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath."

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 12:1-8

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41am On Mar 21, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 21, 2018

THREE DANGER ZONES
TEXT: EPHESIANS 5:3

"But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints" (Ephesians 5:3).

To live a consistent Christian life as a youth, you must identify whatever is inconsistent with holy living and avoid it, like a plague. Of all sins committed by the youth, fornication stands out as one that ruins them. Impurity and greed are two others to flee. This hymn stanza is a great help for overcoming the danger zone:

Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret with Jesus alone-
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Many girls have ruined their academic and career pursuits through immorality. Remember Dinah? She was defiled before a hasty marriage plan. Samson also could have done greater works but for immorality. He lost his ministry and life. Uncleanness includes lustful kisses, cuddling and pornography. They should not be named among Christian youths. Covetousness or greed leads to theft, fraud, robbery, occultism and other sinful acts. These are all danger zones. If you are still involved in any of them, repent now, and Jesus will set you free.

Challenge: "Do not be ruined by sin"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to remain unstained!"

Quote: "Flee fornication compassion."

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Timothy 2:22

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:56am On Mar 22, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY MARCH 22, 2018

BE THANKFUL
TEXT: EPHESIANS 5:20

"Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 5:20).

Gratitude is an attitude of being appreciative of the acts of kindness, care and love from others. Dick Eastman defines thanksgiving to God thus: "Basically, thanksgiving is an act of expressing specific gratitude to God for blessings He has bestowed upon us. These expressions may be mental or vocal." God requires that Christians are thankful for whatever He does for them. This is illustrated in Luke 17:16-18. Jesus had cleansed 10 lepers as recorded earlier in the chapter. However, only one came to thank Him.

You are also to be grateful for whatever help others render to you. Others here include your parents, Christian leaders, siblings, neighbours and your peers. Don’t take your parents’ care and provisions for granted. Be grateful for their provisions and care. The benefit of gratitude is that you would motivate the giver to give more.

Challenge: "Cultivate the habit of saying, "thank you.""

Prayer: "Lord, grant me a grateful heart"

Quote: "God requires that Christians are thankful."

Bible Reading in one Year: LUKE 17:11-18

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49am On Mar 23, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 23, 2018

GOD WILL PROMOTE YOU
TEXT: PSALM 75:6

"For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south" (Psalm 75:6).

The struggle for position is commonplace among humans of all generations. Note, however, that those who fight, tear down others in other to be promoted do so due to ignorance.

Our text says expressly that promotion comes from God, which presupposes that there is no need to fight others in order to be promoted. The Christian youth must appreciate the fact that the word of God is true and will be fulfilled in the lives of those who genuinely believe it. We must, however, create opportunities for promotion. That is done through a deliberate diligent preparation by studying, praying and working harder.

Do not scheme to remove anyone from their position in order to take over that position. Allow God to promote you and confirm that promotion. Avoid the temptation of the request of the two sons of Zebedee (James and John) to sit beside Jesus in His kingdom. The consequence was, "And when the ten heard it, they began to be much displeased with James and John." Do not stoke up controversy over promotion. God is working out your promotion to His good pleasure.

Challenge: "Do not fight to be promoted."

Prayer: "Help me Lord not to run before you"

Quote: "God is working out your promotion."

Bible Reading in one Year: Mark 10:35-45

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:46am On Mar 24, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2018

THE BEGINNING OF SORROWS
TEXT: MATTHEW 24:7

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in diverse places" (Matthew 24:7).

The current global violence, wars, terrorist attacks, famines and other natural and man-made disasters are unequalled in human history. All these portend the end of an era – the Church age. It is an error and great disservice to oneself to think that the world will continue as it is, forever. Our text is part of Jesus' teaching on the last days' events and the signs of His second coming. This will begin with the rapture. Jesus comes in the air, heralded by the trumpet of the Archangel. Genuine believers will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air.

Do not despair over the current violence and destructions across the world. Prepare to leave this chaotic world. This is the beginning of sorrows upon the world. That is when the Great Tribulation will take place. To be rapture-ready, the sinner must repent and get born again; the backslider must pray for restoration and the saints must persevere in righteousness and service to the Lord.

Challenge: "Do not despair as you see evils on the increase."

Prayer: "Help me Lord to remain faithful to you"

Quote: "After the rapture, then comes the real sorrows."

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 24:32-34

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2018
Heirs of His Kingdom!

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 205
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.