Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Higher Everyday — Look And Live - Religion (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Look And Live (1385044 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 25, 2018

THE PRINCE OF PEACE
TEXT: ISAIAH 9:6

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor. The mighty God. The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6).

Jesus is declared Prince of Peace and does not have a rival. This was why William Pierson Merrill stated. "The world will be safe and secure in its peace only when nations adopt the principles of Christ and play fair within them." Peace is one attribute of all those who give their lives to Jesus. Those who receive Him are given the power to become the sons (and daughters) of God, (John 1:12). There is a calmness that Jesus gives to Christians which the challenges and turmoil of life cannot take away. Even when confronted by the most vicious persecution, oppression and the vicissitudes of life, Christian youths are assured of peace.

Do you experience internal turmoil? Jesus is the answer. Repent of your sin and make Him the Lord of your life. You can be guaranteed peace, no matter the negative circumstances around you. Child of God, do not fret. Allow the prince of peace to take over your matter. Jesus will calm the storm in your life.

Challenge: "Remain calm even in the storm."

Prayer: "Grant me O God, the grace to walk with you in peace, in Jesus name"

Quote: "Jesus will calm the storm in your life."

Bible Reading in one Year: Mark 4:35-41

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17am On Mar 28, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MARCH 26, 2018

COMPEL THEM TO COME
TEXT: LUKE 14:23

"And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled" (Luke 14:23).

The lord in the text had directed his servants to invite guests to the marriage feast. They had done so but there yet remained many empty seats. He therefore asked them to go everywhere and "compel them" to come. As a Christian youth, Jesus is asking you to compel sinners to come into His Kingdom. A Bible commentator says that the request to compel them is asking sinners to "quit their former course of living. They are to be compelled not by outward force, but by forcible words; by the strength of persuasions; is by intercession and exemplary Christian lifestyle."

The salvation of your family members, mates and peers are worth whatever it would cost you. Take up the challenge to compel them to accept Jesus' offer of salvation. Ponder over this song:

Christ is gathering out a people,
To His name from every race;
Haste to give the invitation
Ere shall end the day of grace.

Are you a sinner? There isn't much time left before the door of mercy is shut. Urgently come into the Ark with your loved ones.

Challenge: "Compel all to accept Jesus as Saviour."

Prayer: "Give me grace Oh God, to bring them in to the Ark of salvation"

Quote: "Come into the Ark with your loved ones."

Bible Reading in one Year: John 16:15

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07am On Mar 29, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2018

EXCUSE NOT ACCEPTABLE
TEXT: LUKE 14:23

"And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it, I pray thee have me excused" (Luke 14:18).

According to Sunya Carson, the mother of the author of the bestselling book, Think big, "Nobody can hinder you from doing what you want, if that is what you set your mind to do. You can always find a hook to hang excuses on, but they're only excuses." It is inconceivable that the invitees in our text would treat the invitation to the marriage supper with disdain. They gave excuses that were clearly untenable. The first could still go and see his land after the supper. Another rejected the invitation because he bought a yoke of oxen and needed to test them. Why did he not do so before buying them? A third said he had married a wife and therefore would not attend the supper. His wife would still be his wife if he took a few hours to honour the invitation.

What are your excuses for not giving your life to Christ? Are you blaming the other person with whom you commit sin; your parents who are not Christians; peers or environment? God will not accept any excuse for your sinful life. Repent.

Challenge: "Excuses will disappoint you."

Prayer: "Lord, take the excuses from me"

Quote: "God will not accept any excuse for your sinful life."

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 14:15-21

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00pm On Mar 29, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2018

SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS
TEXT: ISAIAH 65:5

"Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day" (Isaiah 65:5).

Self-righteousness is used to denote "moral living as a way of salvation." The self-righteous neglects the redemptive work of Jesus Christ whose blood is the only means by which a person can be saved from sin. In His teachings, Jesus clearly warns against self-righteousness, a major flaw of the Pharisees. The book of Isaiah 64:6 puts it succinctly. "...all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags."

No matter how morally upright you are, you cannot qualify for heaven, unless you are cleansed by the blood of Christ, which was shed on the Cross of Calvary. Have you been washed in the blood? In the hymn, The Great Judgment Morning, the writer made the point clear:

"The moral man came to the judgment,
But his self-righteous rags would not do;
The men who had crucified Jesus
Had passed off as moral men, too...

You see, it is God's standard, and not nan's. Some youths consider themselves saved because their parents have brought them up under strict moral standards. That is not enough to make you a Christian. You must be born again, to enter into the Kingdom of God.

Challenge: "Self-righteousness is vain."

Prayer: "Grant me, Oh Lord, genuine salvation"

Quote: "Ye must be born again."

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 18:9; John 3:7

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:28pm On Mar 29, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 29, 2018

THE SERVANT AS HIS MASTER
TEXT: JOHN 12:26

"If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour" (John 12:26).

In her Hymn: "How Beautiful to walk in the steps of the Saviour." Eliza E. Hewitt challenges Christians to shape their lives after Christ's blessed example as He leads in the paths of light. The world in which we live is typified as darkness. "God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all."
Consequently, Christian youths must walk in the light. (1 John I:5).

The evidence that the blood of Jesus has cleansed us from all sin is by walking in the light. Do you walk in the light? If you live in hatred, malice, anger, or worldliness, you are not in the light. Jesus declares that He is light and that all who do righteousness love the light, come to it and walk in it. Give your life to Jesus today and then follow His example in holiness, humility, faith and pleasing the Father in all things. Apart from His moral virtues, we need to follow the Master in praying, preaching and diligence in all our undertakings including studying.

Challenge: "Oh to be like thee, blessed Redeemer!"

Prayer: "Oh God, empower me to be like the Master, Jesus"

Quote: "Follow the Master in praying, preaching and diligence."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 11:1

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 30,2018

JOIN THE COMPANY
TEXT: PSALM 68:1

"The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it" (Psalm 68:1).

World evangelism is the responsibility of Christians. However, Dr. Prince Guneratnam stated, 'We must understand that it costs to be involved in evangelism. There is a price to pay, but each of us evangelism will have our own price as God shows it to us." Jesus called Andrew, Simon, James and. John to follow him. His purpose was to make them fishers of men. In I Corinthians 9:16 Apostle Paul declared, "necessity is laid on me; yea, woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel." It is simple to join the company of those who publish the word (gospel). Wherever you are, in your family, neighbourhood, school and other organization, there are people who have not yet given their lives to Christ.

You can undertake personal evangelism. Organize school rallies, and share video or audio CD messages and give out Christian tracts and magazines. Other methods you can easily employ are e-mails, and messages on social media platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram. lf you are saved join this company and serve.

Challenge: "Get involved in evangelism!"

Prayer: "My God, make me a soul winner in Jesus' name"

Quote: "You can undertake personal evangelism."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Timothy 4:2

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On Apr 02, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY MARCH 31, 2018

STRONG YOUTHS
TEXT: 1 JOHN 2:14

"I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one" (1 John 2:14).

The future of any nation depends on the quality of its youth. If they are fit - body, soul and spirit, the nation is in good shape for growth and progress. An inspired Bible commentator says of today's passage, "It will be the glory of young persons to be strong in Christ and his grace. By the word of God, they overcome the wicked one."

Christian youth, know this: God has not called you to be a weak and fearful person. Rather, He has called you to be a bold, strong and courageous follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Christian youth in Africa, America, Asia, Europe and other continents must be strong. The Bible says "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armour of God..." (Ephesians 6:10,11).

Youths must be strong because they are at war with the forces of darkness which are getting more knotty and messy. To overcome, they must be kitted out with the whole armour of God. Stand strong in Christ victory is sure.

Challenge: "You cannot afford to be weak in the on-going warfare!"

Prayer: "Heavenly Father, make me strong in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Put on the whole armour of God."

Bible Reading in one Year: Ephesians 6:10-12

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:05pm On Apr 02, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY 1ST APRIL, 2018

FORMER LUST FORBIDDEN
TEXT: 1 PETER 1:4

"As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lust in your ignorance" (1 Peter 1:4).

The day you gave your life to Jesus Christ and made Him your Lord and Saviour, He cleansed you from all sin. He made you a new creature,
as attested to in 2 Corinthians 5:17. The old lifestyle of sin passed away and all things became new. Thereafter, you were no longer to
continue in your sinful lifestyle.

Today's passage specifically challenges believers to come clean of the old lusts. This refers to the lust of the flesh, and eyes, and everything that inflames sensual passions. A believer must be free from them. Those who claim they are saved and are involved in lusts are hypocrites. All hypocrites will enter into the eternal Lake of Fire. In the wilderness, many of the children of Israel lusted after the food items they ate back in Egypt and could not get to Canaan.

However, God can save from lust. Just surrender to Jesus, study and meditate on God's word and pray always. Moreover, you need to consecrate your life to God and pray to be sanctified. God's power will be available to set you free.

Challenge: "Say no to lusts; pray and gain the victory"

Prayer: "Help me, Holy Father, to be holy in Jesus' name"

Quote: "God can save you from lust."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 John 2:15-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:19pm On Apr 02, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY APRIL 02, 2018

SPIRITUAL COLDNESS
TEXT: 1 PETER 1:4

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold" (Matthew 24:12).

That the love of many believers towards Christ and spiritual things has become cold is readily evident in our present generation. The coldness towards the things of God has become pronounced that the leaders in some supposed Christian nations have begun to remove the consciousness of God from their public lives and to make laws to that effect. In some parts of the world, Church attendance has become old-fashioned and left to only a few, old folks. Some former vibrant churches have closed down because there were no more members. Sadly, some church cathedrals have been sold for other uses and to adherents of other faiths. This individual and national coldness must be arrested before it is too late.

Even in climes where church attendance is still a norm, many preachers and members hardly make seeking the Kingdom of God and His righteousness a priority. They focus on material wealth, healing and deliverance. Youth, do not allow your heart become cold towards God.
Jesus warned that it is a sign of the last days before He returns. Do not be caught napping.

Challenge: "Your love towards God must not grow cold"

Prayer: "Help me, Lord Jesus, to be vibrant for you"

Quote: "Jesus warned that it is a sign of the last days."

Bible Reading in one Year: Revelation 3:14-19

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2018

LET CHRIST INCREASE
TEXT: JOHN 3:30

"He must increase but I must decrease" (John 3:30).

John is an example of how Christians should serve God without rivalry with others. Some of his disciples came to report that Jesus whom he (John) bore witness to around River Jordan was also baptizing people, "and all men came to him." John's reaction was, "He must increase but I must decrease." Allow God to have His way in the ministry into which He has called you. John did not bear ill-feelings against Jesus because men were flocking to Him. There is much rivalry among many who claim to be serving God, as we see, today.

The important thing is, let the work of the Lord be done, whether in the church or at school. To quarrel over who is appointed to serve in any section is not a demonstration of the Spirit of God. Be more like Jesus in your daily conduct, praying that He stamps His image deep upon your heart.

Challenge: "More of Christ and less of me"

Prayer: "Have your way in me, Lord Jesus"

Quote: "He must increase but I must decrease."

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 8:29; Philippians 2:3-11

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29am On Apr 04, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 4, 2018

UNDER PERSECUTION
TEXT: Matthew 5:10-11

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake" (Matthew 5:11).

It was Henry who stated that, "It is better to incur the world's hatred by testifying against its wickedness than gain its goodwill by going down the stream with it. "Persecution is hostility and ill-treatment for religious beliefs. It is common to all genuine Christians. Jesus says in today's Bible text that persecution will certainly come to His followers. 2 Timothy 3:12 echoes it, "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." Persecution could be in the form of ridicule, insults, denial of rights, oppression, beating, injuries and even death. Many Christians have suffered and even died under of persecution.

Be courageous when under persecution. Bear no grudges against persecutors. Rather, pray for them to receive the mercy of God and be converted.

Persecutors want you to give up your faith but do not yield to them. Hold to Christ till the end. There is a glorious eternity for all who remain faithful to the end. Endeavour daily to pray for and help Christians under persecution in whatever way you can.

Challenge: "Remain faithful to Christ in spite of persecution"

Prayer: "Give me grace to bear my persecution, Lord God"

Quote: "Pray for and Help Christians Under Persecution."

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 4:1-21

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38am On Apr 06, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY APRIL 5, 2018

GREATNESS OF CHARITY
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 13:1-13

"And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity" (1 CORINTHIANS 13:13).

Charity has been simply defined as "practical love" or "love in action." It is the greatest Christian virtue. The Bible says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son..." (John 3:16). This is a wonderful practical love. God demonstrated His love for humanity by giving. Christians are called to a life of love by giving, caring, and making personal sacrifices in order to help others. This is agape love – sacrificial love demonstrated only by genuinely born again Christians. It is unconditional, no strings attached and not for any form of personal benefit to the one demonstrating it. Determine to show acts of kindness to others from today.

The relationship between boys and girls based on the desires of the flesh and which leads to immorality is lust and not of God. If you are involved in that type of relationship, then repent today and ask for God's forgiveness.

Challenge: "Demonstrate charity"

Prayer: "Father, give me your nature of charity"

Quote: "Show acts of kindness to others."

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 CORINTHIANS 5:14-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:16am On Apr 06, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY APRIL 6, 2018

WALKING IN GODLY WISDOM
TEXT: JAMES 3:13-18

"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy" (James 3:17).

There are two types of wisdom. First is the worldly wisdom which is what one commonly sees among the sinners. It is sensual and devilish. Crafty, cunning youths exhibit it as they cheat, defraud, lie, steal and engage in many other evil acts and try not to be caught. People, including youths, who engage in internet and financial fraud, trafficking in drugs and human beings, and other forms of crimes apply the worldly wisdom.

Godly wisdom, on the other hand, is that which God gives to true believers. It is pure and makes one to be at peace with himself, God and fellow humans. It is not arrogant and cannot boast because of academic success or any other achievement. It is pure and free from all evils; honest in dealing with others and therefore reliable.

Examine yourself in the light of the above. What type of wisdom do you have? God can give you godly wisdom right now if you allow Jesus into your heart. He is the Wisdom of God. Allow Him in.

Challenge: "Worldly wisdom leads to hell, But godly wisdom leads to eternal life"

Prayer: "Give me your wisdom, Oh Lord God!"

Quote: "God can give you godly wisdom right now."

Bible Reading in one Year: Proverbs 4:7; James 1: 5-7

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:27pm On Apr 07, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY APRIL 7, 2018

BECOMING EXCELLENT
TEXT: Daniel 6: 1 - 3; Daniel 1: 1 - 20

"Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm" (Daniel 6:3).

Pat Rily said that, "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." The success story of Daniel should spur you on to excellent success. It is a clear example of how God can raise an inconsequential person to an extraordinary height. Daniel was a slave in a foreign nation, Babylon. Your background is most probably better than his. He achieved excellence by a combination of three means: Strict obedience to God, a dint of hard work and prayer. If you combine these, you would achieve similar results. Most youths fail in some or all of the factors and fail in life.

A broader study of Daniel shows he was neither corrupt nor negligent in his duties. He was holy, diligent in his work and prayerful. Put the past behind you; resolve and plan to do better. You can set a new record if you are holy, diligent in your studies and ask God's help in prayer.

Challenge: "You can attain Excellence"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to become an excellent youth!"

Quote: "Resolve and plan to do better."

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 1: 8-20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY APRIL, 8 2018

PURGED TO SERVE IN PURITY
TEXT: ISAIAH 6:1-8

"Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand...And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thy iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged" (Isaiah 6:5, 7).

The process of the redemption of a sinner comes with being purged of sin. Hear Dr. Adam Clark, "The whole design of God was to restore man to His image, and raise him from the ruins of his fall, in a word, to make him perfect, to blot out all his sins, purify his soul, and fill him with holiness, so that no unholy temper, evil desire or impure affection or passion shall either lodge or have any being with him." After salvation, you will serve God. You are to preach the gospel and render any other special service you can render unto the Lord.

However, you cannot serve God effectively and acceptable unless you are purged of sin from within and without. Isaiah, in our text thought he was pure and was preaching before he saw God's glory and felt unclean until God purged him. Thereafter, he was qualified for service. If you are working for God without having being purged, stop. Why? It is because your service will not be approved and rewarded. Pray now and be purged for service.

Challenge: "Do not serve without being purged"

Prayer: "Search me and purge me, Oh Lord"

Quote: "After salvation, you will serve God."

Bible Reading in one Year: Isaiah 6:1-9

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:46pm On Apr 09, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY APRIL 9, 2018

RISING TO THE OCCASION
TEXT: NUMBERS 13:1-33

"And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it" (Numbers 13:30).

David was sent by his father, Jesse to visit three of his elder brothers in the war front. His errand was to take to them and their captain some food items, see how they fared and return home to give a report. When he got to the battlefield, he discovered weariness, fear and despair upon all the Israeli soldiers, including their commander and King, Saul. His investigation revealed that a giant called Goliath was the source of their terror. David immediately rose up to the challenge, volunteering to engage Goliath in God's name. He eventually killed Goliath and returned the glory to God.

In our text today, Caleb was one of the twelve officers who went to spy out the land of Canaan. Ten out of them brought an evil report that caused trembling in the camp. Caleb rose up to the occasion, declaring that with God they were well able to conquer the enemies. And he was right! He did not join the majority to downplay the power of God. What a lesson for youths today! Stand for God and nothing will intimidate you.

Challenge: "One with God is a majority"

Prayer: "Oh God, help me to stand by faith and do the incredible"

Quote: "Stand for God and nothing will intimidate you."

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 17:44-50

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:33am On Apr 10, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY APRIL 10, 2018

YOU CANNOT BE HOPELESS
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 4:1-18

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed" (2 Corinthians 4:8,9).

When you become a Christian, you have embarked on a journey to heaven as a pilgrim. It is the best thing that one can ever be in life. The journey is not always pleasant because, apart from the normal life challenges, one can encounter persecutions in the form of mockery, denial of rights, torture and martyrdom. A Christian youth can experience these difficulties within the family, school, and in the larger society from the unconverted. At such times, the devil can whisper to you that you are hopeless. You may become fearful, ashamed and discouraged. That is exactly what Satan wants so that you can backslide.

However, you are not hopeless; Jesus is with you and heaven's glories await you. Matthew Henry said "The joy and peace of believers arise chiefly from their hopes. What is laid out upon them is but little, compared with what is laid up for them; therefore the more hope they have the more joy and peace they have." Apostle Paul suffered cruel trials, yet he succeeded in ministry because of his faith, hope and the power of God.

Challenge: "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable"

Prayer: "Oh God, help me to soar above my problems looking unto Jesus"

Quote: "You are not hopeless; Jesus is with you."

Bible Reading in one Year: Hebrews 11:32-36

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:08pm On Apr 11, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018

REWARDS AFTER THE RACE
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 9:24

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain" (1 Corinthians 9:24).

This timeless chorus sets the tone for our devotion today:

There's a fight to be fought and a race to be run,
There are dangers to meet by the way,
But the Lord is my light and the Lord is my Guide,
And the Lord is my strength and stay:
On His word I depend,
He's my Saviour and friend,
And He tells me to trust and obey...

In ancient Greece, there were four major Types of games: the Olympic, the Delphi, the Isthmian and the Nemean. The exercises competed for included: leaping (jumping), running (racing), discuss throwing, boxing and wrestling. Each competitor did everything by training, practice
and discipline to win the prize and be celebrated. The prizes were merely wreaths of olives, apple, pine and parsley in the respective games. However, only one person received the prize.

Every Christian is also enlisted in a spiritual race. But, all those who faithfully run the race to the end will obtain a prize or crown. Unfortunately, some believers fall by the wayside through carelessness, unequal yoke with unbelievers, peer pressure, worldliness and failure to listen to God. Beloved, fight and run with your focus on God and heaven.

Challenge: "Only the Holy and diligent can win Heaven's prizes"

Prayer: "Oh God, empower me to run the heavenly race to win crowns in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Fight and run with your focus on God and heaven."

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Timothy 2:4,5; 4:5-8

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY APRIL 12, 2018

REMEMBER, MEDITATE AND TALK
TEXT: PSALM 77:1-20

"I will remember the works of the LORD: surely, I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work and talk of thy doings" (Psalm 77:11,12).

The progress of believing youths stems from their ability to remember, meditate on and talk about God's greatness and goodness. Our text talks about remembering, meditating on and telling others about the words and wonders of God. David's remembrance of his past exploits against wild beasts by God's power gave him boldness to kill Goliath. Also, Ezra "prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgements" (Ezra 7:10).

Can you recall any miracle of God in your life, family, school or the members of your church? They will fill your heart to believe and pray for more blessings. Meditation can be compared to chewing your food and break it down for easier digestion for assimilation and growth. The word of God becomes clearer to us as we reflect on it to discover deep truths, God's unfailing goodness and wonderful works in all generations. Learn, memorise scriptures and teach others. The more you talk about God's works, word and ways, the more you grow in grace and bring others to salvation in Christ Jesus.

Challenge: "He that forgets so soon has no foundation to build on"

Prayer: "O let me not be a forgetful hearer, oh Lord"

Quote: "Learn, memorise scriptures and teach others."

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 119:11-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08am On Apr 13, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY APRIL 13, 2018

DEAL WITH BAD DESIRES
TEXT: JOSHUA 7:1-26

"When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it" (Joshua 7:21).

Every evil act begins with a thought and thoughts on bad things lead to bad desires and vice versa. Someone made this fine statement, "A wise man will desire no more than he may get justly, use soberly, distribute cheerfully and leave contentedly." The sources of desires are our sense organs of sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell. Achan was one of the soldiers of Israel who conquered Jericho. He heard the instructions of Joshua that nobody should take of the accursed properties of Jericho. Yet he did not control his desire for a beautiful Babylonian garment and a wedge of Gold that he saw. He stole them and eventually died with his family. Desire not controlled leads to death.

Many thoughts flash through our minds daily. What we do with them determines our peace or sorrow. If you are born again, God's Spirit in you will empower you to bring every thought or desire under control, to the obedience of Christ. Determine to walk by God's word and resist all temptations. Avoid people, places and objects that are tempting.

Challenge: "Evil desires breed evil acts"

Prayer: "Lord, give me wisdom and power to deal with bad desires in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Determine to walk by God's word."

Bible Reading in one Year: James 1:12-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:00pm On Apr 14, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY APRIL 14, 2018

WALK YOUR TALK
TEXT: 1 SAMUEL 17:1-58

"Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God" (1 Samuel 17:36).

No one is paid for what he claims to know but what he does with his knowledge. Youths are prone to a life of idle talks, and boasting without anything to show for it. Young David met a very disheartening situation in the battle between Israel and the Philistines. Goliath boasted of his might and ability that no man could withstand him. For about forty days, no Israelite soldier could go near him. David told the men around him how he single-handedly killed a lion and a bear that attempted to steal his sheep. No one believed him until he proved it. Even king Saul would not have given him a chance to go against Goliath but for his eloquent declaration of faith in God and past successes.

As youths, do not hide your talents. You should not only talk about them but also demonstrate them. There are many opportunities in the house of God where you can prove your worth. These include singing, leading youth school outreaches, supporting the electrical/electronic section, and ushering in the church. The same thing applies in your academics at school and your community. Prove what you are.

Challenge: "Fit in for something good"

Prayer: "Lord, give me wisdom to do my best in your house and at school"

Quote: "Prove your worth."

Bible Reading in one Year: Colossians 1:9-12

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:54am On Apr 15, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 15, 2018

SELF-EXAMINATION
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 13:5

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your ownselves. Know ye not your ownselves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13:5).

Socrates, the philosopher said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." The mirror helps to reflect our outward physical appearance before us. Those who neglect its use may cause embarrassment for themselves if there is a defect on their body or in their clothing. However, if there is a problem in your bone, heart or kidneys, it might require special diagnosis with x-ray or CT scan machine to identify the defect, and a qualified medical doctor to interpret the result. This will help in providing the right surgical or medical treatment.

Similarly, the true state of a person is hidden. "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked: who can know it" (Jeremiah 17:9). Only the word of God can pierce through and discern the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12). The word of God is a mirror and x-ray (a double-edged sword) by which a Christian can evaluate himself and also have our Doctor, Jesus, reveal and correct his heart condition. On the Day of Judgment, the Lord shall reveal the hidden things in everyone, including youths.

Challenge: "Examine yourself, set things right and escape God's judgment"

Prayer: "Lord, reveal myself to me in your mirror"

Quote: "Search me, O God and know my heart"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 11:27-32

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:01am On Apr 16, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 16, 2018

YOUR MENTOR MATTERS
TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 34:1-12

"And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses" (Deuteronomy 34:9).

A mentor advises and guides a younger and less experienced person or a junior colleague. "To build strong and powerful Churches, we as leaders have to know how to find, train, and manage the right people for the right job," wrote Casey Treat. These leaders are the mentors. Joshua began with Moses as a younger follower before they got to the border of Canaan. He became the most experienced Israeli in spiritual matters next to Moses. He was on the mountain with Moses when Israel made a golden calf to worship. He was the army commander at the conquest of Amalek. He was among the twelve men who went to spy the land of Canaan. He was among the 70 elders that Moses put on of his Holy Spirit. Only Joshua and Caleb brought faith-backed report. He was always walking by faith with Moses. It was no surprise at all to Israel that before Moses died, God chose Joshua to succeed him.

Who are your mentors in education, career and Christian service? As a youth, follow good leaders for a holy walk with God.

Challenge: "Be a Joshua; learn from your mentor"

Prayer: "Lord, guide me to walk and work with the right mentors in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Follow good leaders for a holy walk with God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Exodus 17:9-14; 24:13

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11pm On Apr 17, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY APRIL 17, 2018

LIFE AND VAPOUR COMPARED
TEXT: JAMES 4:1-17

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away" (James 4:14).

To some people, life is a war, dream or fairy tale. But because of its brevity, William Shakespeare regarded it as, "a brief candle." Again, Apostle James, while writing to the Jews who travelled often on business or in search of greener pastures called life a vapour. They planned without God and boasted of success by their personal ability and merit. This reminds one of the rich fool who planned and lived without God and died suddenly, leaving everything behind. (Luke 12:16-21).

It is common for non-believing youths to boast of their achievements. They feel they have wisdom, intelligence and energy to fulfil their goals. As a Christian youth, you should realise that all you are and can ever be is by the grace of God. It implies that in all your endeavours, always involve God. Your little prayer over a subject before reading can enhance your quick and better understanding. We should learn to commit all we do to God as our Bible text above says. Let God be in control of your life and it will count.

Challenge: "Do you know what tomorrow will bring?"

Prayer: "Lord, let your will be done in my life"

Quote: "Let God be in control of your life"

Bible Reading in one Year: James 4:13-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07pm On Apr 17, 2018
NEW DEEPER LIFE HEADQUARTERS CHURCH SENSITIZATION 1

Commissioning of the International headquarters of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry World Wide, third largest congregation in the world led by Pastor William F. Kumuyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UqeCIvZKvM
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:26am On Apr 18, 2018
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18, 2018

OVERCOMING THE WORLD

"For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4).

In June 2017, Stephen Hawkings opined that humans were overdue to leave the earth because, "We are running out of space, and the only places we can go to are other worlds. The earth is becoming too small for us." This opinion came through fear of global warming ravaging the world. Science has postulated several theories for solution to this fated old world which God promised to replace with a new one (Revelation 21:1).

Sin is the ruin of this present world. What it actually needs is a spiritual rebirth, not relocation to another planet. This is the focus of our text. Overcoming the world refers to victory over sin. The people of the world are given to lies, deceit, immorality, murder, drunkenness, occult practices, fraud, hatred, and production of weapons of mass destruction. The godly youth is daily faced with the temptation to play along with these evils which shall lead the evil doers to eternal damnation in the lake of fire. The call to everybody, therefore, is to walk by the faith of Jesus, the Son of God. Win the victory by coming to Christ.

Challenge: "Can any science hide man from God's judgment? No!"

Prayer: "Lord God, make me an overcomer, in Jesus' name. Amen"

Quote: "Win the victory by coming to Christ"

Bible Reading in one Year: Genesis 39:7-12

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2018
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 19, 2018

LABOUR OF LOVE

"Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father" (1 Thessalonians 1:3).

In his book, "The purpose Driven life, Rick Warren said, "Love leaves a legacy. How you treated other people, not your wealth or accomplishments, is the most enduring impact you can leave on earth." A Nigerian female doctor, Stella Adadevoh's swift and selfless action after identifying the first Ebola patient saved her country from the spread of the killer Ebola plaque in 2014. Though she got infected and lost her life for it, her labour of love remains unforgettable. The worst killer disease in the world is sin. It has destroyed many souls globally. Jesus came from heaven to save sinners. Christians who have laboured to deliver humanity from its scourge include Martin Luther, John Wesley, Dr David Livingston, Mary Slessor, Hudson Tailor and Jonathan Edwards.

Our Bible text today highlights three virtues found in the Thessalonian believers which are: faith in God, labour of love and patience of hope. Our emphasis here, however, is on the labour of love. Labour of love can be in the areas of praying for and reaching out to perishing souls, as well as caring for and share with those in need. Are you involved in the labour of love?

Challenge: "Labour for the things that endure forever"

Prayer: "Oh God, help me to engage in the labour of love, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Are you involved in the labour of love"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 9:25-30

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:12pm On Apr 20, 2018
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 2018

EMPATHY ENCOURAGED

"Rejoice with them that do Rejoice, and weep with them that weep" (Romans 12:15).

A six-year-old boy, Alex, from New York, offered to house another young Syrian in his family house. On his television, he had seen Omran Daqneesh bloodied and dazed after a bombing of his town in Syria. An Ex-president of America commented on his action and described him as a child "who hasn't learned to be Cynical or suspicious, or fearful. We should all be more like Alex." A dictionary defines empathy as, "The intellectual identification of the thoughts, feelings, or state of another person." When a person is sick or sustains an injury, how do you feel? What about those suffering families in the deserts, natural disaster zones and war-torn countries without food and water?

Empathize with the suffering. If it is well with you, it is by God's grace. Keep to Christ's golden rule of doing unto others what you wish them to do unto you. Pray and care for people with challenges; never mock them. If we follow Jesus to the end, we shall have peace and joy forever in His kingdom.

Challenge: "Be an encouragement to others"

Prayer: "Lord, make me a helper of the helpless, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Pray and care for people with challenges"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 12:9-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07pm On Apr 21, 2018
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY APRIL 21, 2018

HAVE THE LIVELY HOPE
TEXT: 1 PETER 1:1-12

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (1 Peter 1:3).

Paul the apostle was with other 275 men on board a ship that lost bearing in the sea. The wind was very aggressive, tossing it up and down. To keep it afloat, they cast away their sacks of foodstuff. Hope was lost that they would be saved but for Paul who prayed and God delivered all from death. Before they entered the ship, God had told Paul that he would preach at Rome, so he knew that he would not die until he completed his assignment. When you are saved from sin God brings you to the hope for eternity in His Kingdom. When you hold fast in holiness, all that comes your way becomes a stepping stone to higher ground with God.

The power that raised Jesus from the dead is still at work. There is no hopeless situation with God. You can trust and hope in God for healing, examination success and victory over temptations to live holy always. The lively hope is a winning hope. It preserves in adversity, for example: Job, Abraham, Hannah, Joseph and David, endured and overcame tough times. The lively hope assures believers of better days in time and eternity.

Challenge: "Never give up but hope in God till the end"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to put my hope in you always"

Quote: "The lively hope is a winning hope"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 56:1-6

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 22, 2018

GODLY LIFE HERE AND NOW
TEXT: 1 PETER 1:1-12

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).

The pursuit of many churchgoers today is the gain for this present life. They are readily available in prayer meetings, crusades and conventions promising, prosperity, success, healing and marriage. They fast, pray and give offerings hoping to get quick rewards. They take no thought for the danger of sin and compromise. Their plans never extend to holy living. They miss the real value of life. Yet, hear what Chisholm says here:

Oh to be like thee! Blessed Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer
Gladly I'll forfeit all of earth's treasures,
Jesus, thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like thee!
Oh to be like thee!
Blessed Redeemer pure as Thou art!
Come in thy sweetness,
come in thy fullness;
stamp thine own image
deep on my heart

God gives grace for sinners to repent and the saints to live holy on earth, serving the Lord. Your godliness will not be hidden. Others will testify that you are a 'new' boy or girl by your actions. Let others see Jesus in you here and now.

Challenge: "Does your light shine before others?"

Prayer: "Holy Father, save me from all sins in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Let others see Jesus in your here and now"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 23:14-19

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:21am On Apr 23, 2018
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 23, 2018

IS YOUR SALVATION SURE?
TEXT: GALATIANS 4:20

"I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you" (Galatians 4:20).

The believers in Galatia after initial salvation were compromising with false Jewish teachers who came to their town. They told them that their salvation was not complete in Christ alone but that they must undergo circumcision like the Jews. Many of them began to doubt their salvation, wanting to submit to the error of "salvation through circumcision." The situation is even worse today as false teachings are being spread from pulpits and through the mass media worldwide. These errors include the doctrines of eternal security, purgatory and reincarnation. Recent upsurge in the promotion of pornography and pre-marital sex has further complicated matters.

However, every saved youth must be sure of salvation through the completed work of Jesus Christ at Calvary "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). If you have genuinely repented of your sins, then you are born again. Freedom from sin assures of salvation. Make your restitution if there are any and let your light keep shining.

Challenge: "Live a holy life and nobody can doubt your salvation"

Prayer: "Lord God, help me to be sure of my salvation in Christ"

Quote: "Freedom from sin assures of salvation"

Bible Reading in one Year: Titus 2:11-15

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Look And Live by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:18am On Apr 24, 2018
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 24, 2018

POPULAR FOR PIETY
TEXT: GALATIANS 4:20

"And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face" (Deuteronomy 34:10).

Piety means reverence and devotion to God. Moses was a man of God who was born in time of trials for his family which could have claimed his life. He became so devoted to God that God spoke to him in very clear voice in a pattern described as "face to face." He had access to God's presence all his life. It was he who received the Ten Commandments from God on Mount Sinai. He was described by God as a man "who is faithful in all mine house" (Numbers 12:7). When Israel sinned against God, He pleaded with God to forgive them and He honoured his request. According to J. Oswald Sanders, "The true leader regards the welfare of others rather than his own personal comfort and prestige as of primary concern." He was loved by Israel for his dedication and goodwill to them even in his old age.

God is looking for believers like Moses in this generation. You can be one. You can pray to God for the salvation of your mates and entire nation. Are you popular for evil or for good and the fear of God? Become a youth God uses.

Challenge: "What are you known for?"

Prayer: "Lord, may I not be popular for notoriety but holiness in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Are you popular for evil or for good?"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 6:1-5

See more here:

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.