Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,879 members, 7,838,147 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. (917 Views)

Lastma Can’t Impose Fine On Traffic Offenders – Court / Make And Receive Calls While Driving Without Fear Of Arrest From Lastma Or Frsc / Lastma Rules And Regulations In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by babestella: 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
Yesterday, my brother's car engine suddenly stopped working along Gbagada Oshodi expressway. So he veered off the road and came down to checked the car. He noticed that his cars alternator belt just got cut. Obviously he was alone in the car, and while he looked around to call for help, Lastma town vehicle appeared. The next minute they accused him of obstructing traffic and towed his car to their office at Oshodi expressway.
He was given a ticket to pay 50,000 naira.

Now my question is this:

1. Is lastma justified in issuing him a 50K ticket?
2. Why would they impound his vehicle instead of helping him tow the vehicle to a nearby mechanic who can replace the alternator belt for him a a fee.

When he called me yesterday, I thought of getting a lawyer to fight this with Lastma, i don't care how long, but this is certain exploitative and inhumane on the guy. Up until now the car is still there and if it is not released by end of today, I will get an attorney to sue Lastma for abuse of power, office and violation of basic human right.
Please I need the commissioner of transports contact. I want to know if it is legal to issue a ticket to a guy whose car suddenly developed technical issues along the highway. Please guys help. I need contacts. I have asked my brother to get me the names of those holding his car asking him to part with 50K, I hope he is able to get it.
Re: Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by twentycent(m): 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2014
*What did they say was his offence?
*Was he actually obstructing traffic?
*It is not right to just pounce on a road user and capitalise on his disadvantage to extort money knowing he didn't willfully obstruct traffic
*I am of the opinion that LASG road officials LASTMA inclusive in some cases veer away from there jobs and unlawfully coerse a road user to part with moneys for there own gains..its condemnable&wrong.
*Stand your ground on this if you are sure your brother did not obstruct traffic willfully cos anyone can encounter this same issue while using the road.
*Am following the turn of events
*We are watching

Pls update us on this...and Mods I think this deserves frontpage abeg.
Re: Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by z3us(m): 3:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
those guys are bastards, thats aw dey behave....buh u can call 08075005411 thats d commissioner for transport,kayode opeifa,ifhe doesnt pick up send a text and explain to him.
also call 08099120777 traffic radio,top govt officials listen to it and take action..
all d best.....

1 Like

Re: Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:19pm On Jul 10, 2014
Did your brother follow the approved procedure for roadside breakdowns which include;

1. Pulling over to the side of the road.

2. Putting on his Hazard light to warn other motorists of a stationary vehicle.

3. Place caution signs 10 - 15 meters away from the vehicle.

4. Call AAA roadside assistance to tow the vehicle.

Just asking.
Re: Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by twentycent(m): 3:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Let's see how this is going to pan out and I know the freaking Lastma officials will never know how far this was going to go before they started it and pls OP ensure you give us update on how the Honorable Comm. for Transport is handling this issue cos it concerns the fabric and well being of our society.

Meanwhile Firsto du commento..

Twentycent.
Re: Lastma Impounds My Brother's Car. by babestella: 5:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks Nairalanders for being there. I called my brother few minutes ago, the ticket has been withdrawn. He went to Alausa with someone who knows some people there and the issued was thrashed. He has gotten a mechanic and his car is being fixed right now. He only paid 3K for towing because the distance wasn't that much. Well, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. However, I have noted the numbers on screen, just in case something like this happens again. Please we all have to be alert, always have your phone cams ready and be on the right side of the law to stand your grounds in event of such act from some over-zealous government officers.

(1) (Reply)

Sweetest 09 Corolla 1st Body 71k Miles #1.78m / 2000 Model Tokunbo Toyota Camry Clean And Fresh - 930k Last / Clean Newly Cleared Lexus RX300 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.