Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Urgent Help From Car Dealers. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Urgent Help From Car Dealers. (813 Views)

Learn how / Water Dripping From Car Exhaust- A Good Or Bad Sign? / Used Car Dealers Around Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by CaptBarbosa: 9:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
I was about paying for a car and I thought about running a VIN check. Though I was so reluctant in the beginning due to the near perfect nature of the car but to my surprise the VIN check came out and the report says the car is SALVAGE.

Please I would like to understand from our in-house car dealers the problem with the car.

Thanks.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by nicedaddy(m): 12:49am On Jul 12, 2014
Its an accidentted car dat has been repair and painted..
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by ojmaroni247(m): 12:51am On Jul 12, 2014
A salvaged car means accidented,wen dey say a car is salvaged means the car is a write off or u can use de word not fit or condemned,but in Nigeria we drive many of such cars here. Dats y u see 2 pple buy same car,but after sum yrs 1 looks older or rather gets to scrap faster dan de oda. Salvage cars r knwn to hav issues cuz of the de accident dey hav had, many oda tins start to fall apart in the car wit time. Hope dt answers ur quest. PPle always avoid such cars so that they get value for their money,usually salvaged cars r cheaper dan its counterpart.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by Lexusgs430: 1:55am On Jul 12, 2014
Well done for running a vin check prior to payment, some people do it the other way round. If the dealer did not declare vehicles history to you, run run run
Did the dealer try to sell the salvaged vehicle @ the same rate of a clean title?
If you still want to buy the vehicle, and the dealer can supply you genuine pictures of post-salvage state and reduce the present cost of the vehicle, to reflect true financial worth, if not run run run run run(with your money still under your mat)
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by Lexusgs430: 1:58am On Jul 12, 2014
Well done for running a vin check prior to payment, some people do it the other way round. If the dealer did not declare vehicles history to you, run run run
Did the dealer try to sell the salvaged vehicle @ the same rate of a clean title?
If you still want to buy the vehicle, and the dealer can supply you genuine pictures of post-salvage state and reduce the present cost of the vehicle, to reflect true financial worth, if not run run run run run(with your money still under your mat)
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by CaptBarbosa: 4:29am On Jul 12, 2014
The dealer made no such comment about the real nature of the car. The engine is perfect, keyless and thumbstart. The price is even slightly higher than what is obtainable elsewhere.

What would I have done without you guys? May God bless you all.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by Spirit1(m): 4:39am On Jul 12, 2014
The way people try to portray vehicles with salvage history is absolutely false and misinformed. Granted a vehicle may be declared a salvage because it is a write off, but it is not true that these cars are not suitable to drive anymore. That is misinformation and a false assumption. Salvage cars can be registered in any motor licensing office in any state once the reason for declaring it a salvage has been corrected and the car inspected / passed by motor licensing office (DVM.) Unfortunately once a car acquires a salvage title it remains with the car for life. So a car may have acquired a salvage history 5 years ago, fixed and has been driven all these while without problems, but the salvage history will remain with it.
It is also not true that all cars with a salvage title must have been involved in a serious accident or any accident at all. Some of the other reasons include, previous repairs of any kind that exceeds more than 25% of the price of the car, previous water damage, vandalism etc. Insurance companies can also declare a car salvage even with minimal damage in order to write it off and receive government tax exemption.
The truth is that there are many cars sold in the US and in Nigeria with accident history but no salvage record. Remember you have to report the car record to DMV or your insurance before it can any damage or issues can be documented and hence receive salvage title if it qualifies.You can also be involved in a serious accident and choose to fix you car yourself and will not receive a salvage title. This actually far too common because majority of people do not have comprehensive insurance in the US. Interestingly there are cars with clean titles but with hidden serious mechanical or electrical problems eg:transmission problems, engine problems. These issues will drain you pocket a lot more than a car with an accident history that has been properly fixed.
My advise is to inspect any car you want to buy well and have an experienced mechanic drive it before you buy.
Salvage and clean titles are overrated in Nigeria. Don't be deceived.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by Lexusgs430: 7:31am On Jul 12, 2014
@spirit1 - But the main problem is when dealers are not sincere about the true history of the vehicles they are trying to sell. And in the op's case, overpriced salvage vehicle.
Give the buyer a choice. If vehicles do not have a history, but have been involved in an accident, some buyers would not know, but eagle - eyed buyers would.
Vin check is a tool to be used, let's use it.
I have no problem buying a salvaged vehicle, only if it is appropriately priced and fixed accordingly.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by CaptBarbosa: 9:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Lexusgs430: @spirit1 - But the main problem is when dealers are not sincere about the true history of the vehicles they are trying to sell. And in the op's case, overpriced salvage vehicle.
Give the buyer a choice. If vehicles do not have a history, but have been involved in an accident, some buyers would not know, but eagle - eyed buyers would.
Vin check is a tool to be used, let's use it.
I have no problem buying a salvaged vehicle, only if it is appropriately priced and fixed accordingly.

Very well said.
I need to know what am buying and the nature if damage in it. Paying 3.3 million naira on a car that should supposedly be a scrap is not a good one. What's wrong with him telling me the true nature of the car?

If am going to buy a salvaged car, let me know what am buying and at what price. But this guy was even telling me that he was doing me a great favour.
Re: Urgent Help From Car Dealers. by Lexusgs430: 9:24am On Jul 12, 2014
CaptBarbosa:

Very well said.
I need to know what am buying and the nature if damage in it. Paying 3.3 million naira on a car that should supposedly be a scrap is not a good one. What's wrong with him telling me the true nature of the car?

If am going to buy a salvaged car, let me know what am buying and at what price. But this guy was even telling me that he was doing me a great favour.

A great favour indeed. Lol
They are better cars out there, continue your search and keep vin checking them!!!! (3.3 million no be beans)

(1) (Reply)

2009 Toyota Camry Le *leather Seats**(reg) Call Midex 08064181090 / sold sold....Lr3 Hse 2006, Clean And Neat. 2.1m / Toyota 4runner 2005model@2.450m08038580001,08077605055

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.