Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,413 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know (1299 Views)

Infinix Hot 3 Launched In Nigeria But I Think We Are Being Cheated / Tecno L5 Review: Why I Think It Is Worth The Hype. / Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2014
Hello guys.. U know am a lover of facts. I will like to share some facts about the web with you all.

1. In March 1989, British engineer and scientist Sir Tim Berners-Lee, now director of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), wrote a proposal for what would become the World Wide Web.

3. The launch of the Mosaic web browser in 1993 is considered a turning point in the history of the WWW. The graphical browser was developed by a team at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois. Mosaic is credited for popularising the WWW.

4. Internet and Web are commonly mistaken for the same thing. While the Internet refers to the networking infrastructure that connects millions of computers across the world, the WWW is the collection of text pages, music, files, digital photographs and animation which users can access over the Internet. The Web represents only one part of the Internet.

5. The first website to ever go online was on August 6, 1991, http://info.cern.ch.

6. According to Netcraft, there are now more than 227 million websites, containing 65 billion web pages.

7. In the West, the average “digital birth” (the age at which a child first has an online presence) is around six months old. This is because parents email pictures to their friends of their new baby and post up photos online.

8. There are more devices connected to the Web than living human beings.

9. World Wide Web was finalized as the name of the project, after it was preferred over Information Mesh, Mine of Information and Information Mine.

10. The use of 'www' as a subdomain name is not required by any technical or policy standard. In fact, the first ever web server was called nxoc01.cern.ch.

11. In the 1990s, Bill Gates reportedly said that an Internet browser was 'a trivial piece of software'. He later launched one of the most famous web browsers of all time “Internet Explorer'.

12. Google was the most visited website in 2013, but 10 years ago it was Myspace and AOL making history.

13. According to figures by W3Tech, over half of webpages are written in English, down from 56.4 per cent in 2002, as other languages are growing more popular online.

14. The web has changed the way ordinary people can become famous, CNN argues. The majority of today's celebrities owe their fame to their web presence.

15. According to a report from Latitude, 60 per cent of people admit that they have a better opinion about a brand depending on the website experience they offer.

16. Most things built on the web are neither open nor free. Platforms have built fortunes from exploiting the facilities offered by the web. The only exception is Wikipedia.

17. When Tim Berners-Lee submitted his proposal, his boss was the first of many people who didn't get it initially. His manager described the web as “vague but interesting”.

18. Berners-Lee uploaded the first photo on the Web in 1992, an image of the CERN house band Les Horribles Cernettes.

19. The famous sites Amazon, Twitter and eBay almost had different names. Amazon was supposed to be named 'Cadabra', Twitter was almost 'Jitter', while eBay could have been known as 'echobay'.

20. Archie is considered the world's first Internet search engine. It was used as a tool for indexing FTP archives, allowing people to find specific files.

21. The Web has a huge impact on the environment, as it is largely powered by big server farms located around the world that need massive quantities of electricity for computers. Nobody really knows the web's overall environmental impact.

22. It is the fastest growing communication medium of all time, taking four years to reach the first 50 million people, compared to radio (38 years) and television (13 years).

23. The term 'surfing the Internet' was coined by Jean Armour Polly in 1992.

24. Although anyone can launch a website, the majority of the top 100 websites are run by corporations, with the only big exception being Wikipedia.
Culled from www...com

Facebook facts.
http://..com/2014/07/interesting-facts-about-facebook.html?m=1

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2014
Hello all .. I suggest this topic make frontpage... What do you think mukina2?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 12, 2014
Interesting nd quite confusing.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
urhoboman: Interesting nd quite confusing. OP, u cnt xplain some of wat u post up there.#FACT#
I suggest this make front page what do you think bro?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Lagusta(m): 4:18pm On Jul 12, 2014
wikipedia owned by a teenage boy?

Issokkayyy!!!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 12, 2014
Lagusta: wikipedia owned by a teenage boy?

Issokkayyy!!!
updated
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by barackodam: 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
25: The discovery of nairaland in my ucbrowser was the begining of my physical bondage cry
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
And Nairaland is the most visited,and addictive site in Nigeria...
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
Yomieluv: And Nairaland is the most visited,and addictive site in Nigeria...
I swear..... I even like nairaland pass my blog
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
stardragon: 25: The discovery of nairaland in my ucbrowser was the begining of my physical bondage cry
I like nairaland but i can never be bonded to it
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
barackodam: ....
my guy is that all you have to say?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by EnterPRO: 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
lol @ #11
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
[quote author=] I swear..... I even like nairaland pass my blog[/quote] hahahaha, very true. Some bloggers full here, leave their blog con dey play 4 nairaland. Since I started nairaland I av abandoned facebk nd d rest.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by walex2bad(m): 3:12am On Jul 13, 2014
FACT: this place is a web page#
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Warlord3000(m): 5:08am On Jul 13, 2014
Anything Web... Am in wink
Even if na to rain insults on Howard Webb sef tongue
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 13, 2014
walex2bad: FACT: this place is a web page#
please elucidate
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 13, 2014
Warlord3000: Anything Web... Am in wink
Even if na to rain insults on Howard Webb sef tongue
howfar
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 13, 2014
madibachris: ADMISSION 2014
wanna study in ghana call or whatsapp +233245562676 or +2347061309325 FOR MORE INFO
EMAIL: chukwumachris20@gmail.com
.how much do you collect for 1 semester?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
Please guys note that thunder might BURST your eye if you view this topic without commenting
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 14, 2014
Are they not interesting?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Kezifils(m): 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=] I swear..... I even like nairaland pass my blog[/quote]

Now this is the funniest comment I'hv read today.
Cool facts though
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Kezifils(m): 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=] my guy is that all you have to say?[/quote]

They re booking space in case the topic makes FP.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2014
Kezifils:

Now this is the funniest comment I'hv read today.
Cool facts though
thanks... BTW I was just joking upthere
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 14, 2014
Kezifils:

They re booking space in case the topic makes FP.
is that how to book space?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by walex2bad(m): 5:34pm On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=] please elucidate [/quote]

Click here. www.google.com
Re: Interesting Facts About The Web I Think You Should Know by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
walex2bad:

Click here. www.google.com

(1) (Reply)

Nokia C1 Smartphone With Android 5.0 Lollipop / Infinix Zero 2 To Be Released With These Specs / Sony Phone X Bo V5 Calibretor Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.