Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks (3214 Views)

Remove Thermostat From New Car / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by Razmuhy: 8:04am On Jul 13, 2014
I have learnt a lot on this section concerning proper maintenance of vehicles including the importance and function of thermostat in vehicle engines. I overheard a conversation between my uncle and one of his heavy duty (30 tonnes) truck drivers about the need to remove the truck's thermostat. According to the driver, he observes that temperature gauge rises beyond the mid level when operating the truck which makes the drivers cabin hot and all. He (the driver) recommended the removal of the thermostat since the truck is a 'tokunbo' . I advised my uncle not to remove the thermostat as it will lead to increase in wear and tear of the engine as the engine might not be working at the optimal temperature.
He is very old school and my explanations were not very convincing to him cos he said he always removes the thermostat from all his 'tokunbo' trucks with no hassles.
My questions to the house are;
* Am I correct in my advice to him not to remove the thermostat from the truck (Diesel engine and all)?
* What other things might contribute to the truck temperature gauge rising and the driver's cabin heating up? ( he told me he just replaced the engine top gasket with new ones)

thanks y'all
Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
Pls let him pay money to clownsmechanics in dirty overalls (who never figured out the real reason why manufacturers installed a thermostat in a vehicle) to butcher his vehicle. Double tragedy undecided
Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by billy187(m): 8:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
The thermo is probably bad. Even in that case he should just change it, not eliminate it! those truck engines are hideously expensive to replace so do let him know!

For all you know, the mechs are probably aware of this, however all those failing engines bring them steps closer to dat tokunbo Camry they have their eyes on! It may be a conspiracy!!!

2 Likes

Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by Razmuhy: 11:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks.
But how do one check/confirm that the thermo is bad/faulty?
Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by billy187(m): 11:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
Razmuhy: Thanks.

Its pretty easy. put the thermostat in a pot of boiling water. If you have a thermometer, make sure the temparature is the same as the thermo's rating. At this stage, u'll observe the themostat opening. When its fully open, quickly transfer it to a pot of cooler water: it will resume closed position. Any observation otherwise these may denote a bad thermostat.

1 Like

Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by Nobody: 5:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Razmuhy: Thanks.

OP, hope he has finally paid his hard earned money to those clowns to help him remove the termostat?
Re: Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks by Razmuhy: 6:43am On Jul 19, 2014
billy187:
Its pretty easy. put the thermostat in a pot of boiling water. If you have a thermometer, make sure the temparature is the same as the thermo's rating. At this stage, u'll observe the themostat opening. When its fully open, quickly transfer it to a pot of cooler water: it will resume closed position. Any observation otherwise these may denote a bad thermostat.

thanks a lot... I'll talk him into trying it out..

(1) (Reply)

Acura TL Vs Toyota Camry / Please How Much Would This Car Worth?? / What Kind Of Car Can I Get With 1m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.