Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

I Need Your Help Medics!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Need Your Help Medics!! (992 Views)

Man Records His Own Surgery On Phone & Is Shocked On How Medics Insulted Him / Man Jokes He Has Ebola, Taken Off Plane By Hazmat-suited Medics / A Complete Body Massager By Electro Medics " Roison Germany". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Help Medics!! by UniqueGem(m): 9:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
Hello Medics!! Please I really need your help here.
Ever since I grew old enough to diff between my right and my left, I have never been in good terms with sea foods and poultry foods. I THINK I'm allergic to them. I'm thinking becos It has never been confirmed by a medic.
The main problem is that each time I take any form of sea food (fish, crayfish, crab etc), after some few minutes, saliva starts to gather in my mouth and I have a sudden urge to throw-up(vomit). Same thing happens if I should eat any poultry food, especially chicken and turkey when they're cooked fresh. But with the exception of wen they're well Fried. Though I eat eggs both cooked and fried without problem. But this problems above are really bothering me, anyone ever experienced sumtin like this? I'll like anybody here who has the knowledge to pls give me an insight to what might be wrong, what u suggest I do before seeing a Dr if need be. Thanks.
Re: I Need Your Help Medics!! by Onlinebizexpert(m): 9:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
embarassed shocked
Re: I Need Your Help Medics!! by lomaxx: 9:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
-Anyone else in your family has the same problem? Immediate or extended family, I mean.
-Do you have a history of asthma, either in childhood or currently?
-Do you have other things you're allergic to ? Like pollen, dust, smell of frying oil, smoke etc?

It's possible you have seafood allergy. Typically, the food you mentioned up there are all high in protein content. Seafood protein can trigger an allergic response in genetically susceptible individuals.

Why you also have the same response to chicken and turkey is because, almost everybody that reacts to seafood protein will almost always react to animal protein. The protein of these foods are quite heat stable on cooking but when they're fried, the proteins are denatured (protein are denatured as heating increases)hence you have no reaction to them. This explains why you don't react to fried chicken and turkey.

Management plan? As with other forms of allergy, avoid seafood. Also avoid food, you're susceptible to. It may just be nausea and vomiting now- you wouldn't want to trigger an anaphylaxis sometime in the future.

See your doctor for evaluation.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Your Help Medics!! by UniqueGem(m): 11:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
lomaxx: -Anyone else in your family has the same problem? Immediate or extended family, I mean.
-Do you have a history of asthma, either in childhood or currently?
-Do you have other things you're allergic to ? Like pollen, dust, smell of frying oil, smoke etc?

It's possible you have seafood allergy. Typically, the food you mentioned up there are all high in protein content. Seafood protein can trigger an allergic response in genetically susceptible individuals.

Why you also have the same response to chicken and turkey is because, almost everybody that reacts to seafood protein will almost always react to animal protein. The protein of these foods are quite heat stable on cooking but when they're fried, the proteins are denatured (protein are denatured as heating increases)hence you have no reaction to them. This explains why you don't react to fried chicken and turkey.

Management plan? As with other forms of allergy, avoid seafood. Also avoid food, you're susceptible to. It may just be nausea and vomiting now- you wouldn't want to trigger an anaphylaxis sometime in the future.

See your doctor for evaluation.
The only person I believe have this prob is my immediate sis though hers is restricted to just seafood. No form of asthma so far in my life. Please apart from the nausea and vomiting am seeing now? Any bigger risk in the future?
Re: I Need Your Help Medics!! by lomaxx: 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
UniqueGem: The only person I believe have this prob is my immediate sis though hers is restricted to just seafood. No form of asthma so far in my life. Please apart from the nausea and vomiting am seeing now? Any bigger risk in the future?

Allergic response is a spectrum. It varies amongst individuals and the type of allergen(food in this case). You seem to have a very mild form of seafood allergy. The symptoms are only in your gastrointestinal tract. It could be life-threatening in some other people. Some seafood may cause a more severe response than others.

So it's just best to AVOID. Lots of us have allergies to a lot of stuff. We survive them by avoiding them.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Help Medics!! by UniqueGem(m): 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
lomaxx:

Allergic response is a spectrum. It varies amongst individuals and the type of allergen(food in this case). You seem to have a very mild form of seafood allergy. The symptoms are only in your gastrointestinal tract. It could be life-threatening in some other people. Some seafood may cause a more severe response than others.

So it's just best to AVOID. Lots of us have allergies to a lot of stuff. We survive them by avoiding them.
Thanks alot Buddy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Measures Would Yo Be Taking To Avoid Contacting Ebola. / Nurse Kills 10-yr-old Girl / Extreme Girls Weight Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.