Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months (12347 Views)

Number Of Public Primary Schools In Nigeria According To Zones / Public Primary School In Manchester (pix) / Photo: A Public Primary School In Bauchi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 14, 2014
Children attending public primary schools in Benue State have been stuck at home for over eight months following a prolonged strike by their teachers.

The State Government and the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), in the state have been engaged in a deadlocked dispute over teachers’ salaries since the implementation of the national minimum wage.

Channels Television was in Makurdi, the Benue State capital to examine the situation and the consequences of the strike for the pupils, the teachers and primary education in Benue State.

Life appeared normal on the streets of Makurdi, until visits to the public primary schools, where the classrooms were completely empty, with school grounds deserted and some overgrown with weeds showed the real situation.

In some cases, the buildings were already falling into ruin and the situation was the same all over the state as the prolonged strike by public school teachers had taken a heavy toll.

According to the Benue State NUT Chairman, Godwin Anyam, the problem started with the implementation of a minimum wage for public servants in the state, including schoolteachers.

“When the minimum wage was approved in the state and before its approval, I was part of the negotiation on behalf of the teachers. So when this was approved, that means the teachers also must also be part of the wage.

“What we were collecting before the coming of the minimum wage was what other workers were collecting. The only difference we had was the 27.5% enhanced allowances with the teachers, which we also fought for and was also approved by the Governor’s Forum.”

However, the State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, explained that what he decided to do was to appeal to the core civil servants whose salaries were mistakenly increased out of proportion to at least let the Government “take a small percentage” of what they had increased for them so that they would be able to accommodate teachers.

“There’s no way, even if the teachers are on strike for 20 years, I can’t raise 4billion (Naira) to pay all these salaries; that is practically out of place”, he said.

While the private schools have been cashing in on the situation and children of the privileged are receiving standard education; other children have been on the receiving end of the crisis as some have been in the streets, struggling to make ends meet.

A parent, John Awuru, expressed worries over the future of the children whose parents could not afford the cost of private schools and challenged the Government to find a lasting solution to the situation rather than condemn the pupils to a life in which they would not be able to fulfill their potentials.

All hope is not lost for those who cannot afford the cost of attending private schools, however, as few makeshift education centres had sprung up to keep the children busy for fees as low as 500 Naira per child.

As the battle over the implementation of wages continues to rage between the State Government and the Teachers’ Union, both sides appeared unwilling to concede,

The Chair, Benue NGO Network, Justin Gbagir, spoke to Channels TV, he said, “If we know the importance of education, particularly primary education which is the foundation of education, then we feel that the relevant stakeholders would have done all that is needful to ensure that the primary school teachers did not go on strike in the first instance. If at all they went on strike, they would have done everything to ensure that the strike is not prolonged.”

The Benue State Head of Service, Terna Ahua, however, explained that the State Government was approaching the problem in two directions; to cut down on the cost of governance and to increase the components of the state’s internally generated revenue.

Many public primary school children and perhaps teachers in Benue State continue to suffer the endless holiday and their deserted schools have become accommodation for the internally displaced persons fleeing herdsmen’s attacks in neighbouring Nasarawa and Taraba states.

One lesson the out-of-school children may have learnt is the meaning of the adage, “when two elephants clash, it is the grass that suffers”.

www.channelstv.com/2014/06/20/benue-teachers-strike-public-primary-schools-shut-8-months/
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 14, 2014
TRAGIC! TRAGIC!! TRAGIC!!! Pdp

15 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 14, 2014
It is more than 8months. Dis is the 10th or 11th month sef. Suswam is busy campaigning and benue pple r still screaming his name with joy while teachers are dying

22 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 14, 2014
MsSteph: It is more than 8months. Dis is the 10th or 11th month sef. Suswam is busy campaigning and [/b] benue pple r still screaming his name [/b] with joy while teachers are dying
the bolded is what i don't understand about Nigerians, we might as well go back to monarchy since we don't know what power we have as electorates.

17 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by DeLaRue: 8:48am On Jul 14, 2014
If Mr Suswan was an opposition Governor, we would by now have 100s of calls for his removal for not being 'in touch with the grassroots.'

And PDP will have used stolen money to entice some of his legislators to impeach him for 'non-performance.'

What a country.

52 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 14, 2014
And some PDP fools 'll start condemning my state governor who never for a whole month leave primary and secondary school students on strike.

Well, as for Benue state, they better join the progressive train and stop wallowing in PDP prison.

17 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by lakpalakpa: 8:54am On Jul 14, 2014
Where is VictorCretin to defend his State PDP governor?

It's not a big deal that kids have been out of school for 11 months as long as APC isn't in charge of the state.

grin

18 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 14, 2014
DeLaRue:
If Mr Suswan was an opposition Governor, we would by now have 100s of calls for his removal for not being 'in touch with the grassroots.'

And PDP will have used stolen money to entice some of his legislators to impeach him for 'non-performance.'

What a country.

the story of my country Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2014
lakpalakpa: Where is VictorCretin to defend his State PDP governor?

It's not a big deal that kids have been out of school for 11 months as long as APC isn't in charge of the state.

grin
you mean that boy is from benue? Not surprised, just the same way a certain Sincere9gerian is blind to the problems in his residence.

16 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 14, 2014
I hate it when you guys pick sides. Apc is an extension of pdp no matter all the battles they fight in public they still share the same money behind close doors.

Benue state the only state I can say is behind wen it comes to development we have top politicians from benue and dey can't do anything to help benue.

Other states have opposition who speak out and people rebel but in benue it is a different issue no soul has come out in benue to condemn suswam and it is very bad.

For example suswam said he spent 2million to renovate a primary school in benue not even a paint was changed all dey did was to pack stones and write the name of the school but our president went there to commission the school. Is this fair?

You need to see the way teachers are dying in benue and it is not a big money for the governor to even think the senate president comes from benue.

If you go to david mark's LGA you will weep. No good road,no water, no light and to think some states especially nassarawa of yesterday can celebrate 2days with light even in interior villages.

I am really sad if we can stop all this pdp and apc e-fights it will be a good start for us to come together to put an end to corruption and mindless politicians.

43 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
the bolded is what i don't understand about Nigerians, we might as well go back to monarchy since we don't know what power we have as electorates.

You think that will help? The level of corruption in nigeria u will be shocked how power will shift.

For example the king/queen might be igbo before you know it the next king will come from south and you wonder how it happened they will start telling u how it is because "the mother married the grandfather of king's brother" you sef go confuse.

If we are ready to make a change then we have to unite against pdp and apc

1 Like

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Clerverly: 11:50am On Jul 14, 2014
And This can Never Made Front Page, since it is Not an APC state!

Check out the other thread on the first page: somebody thought in delusional mind, that some Ogun lawmakers MAY join him in PDP, Fiam, the no nonsense PDP moderator took it without cross checking anything, to the Frontpage with the Headline: 10 Ogun Lawmakers Defects to PDP!

11 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Clerverly: And This can Never Made Front Page, since it is Not an APC state!

Check out the other thread on the first page: somebody thought in delusional mind, that some Ogun lawmakers MAY join him in PDP, Fiam, the no nonsense PDP moderator took it without cross checking anything, to the Frontpage with the Headline: 10 Ogun Lawmakers Defects to PDP!

I really don't want to insult the owner or his workers. I want them to use this forum to help give voice to those without a voice.

If this salary issue is taken seriously on here I trust pdp to make suswam pay that money but since it won't happen I will take my voice to somewhere else cos I am also tormenting the governor on facebook and twitter

2 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Una never see something, my state Anambra in 2001 secondary schools were closed for 9 months yet the governor won the primary twice as PDP guber candidate.
It took the intervention of the traditional rulers in Anambra to visit Ota Ape in Aso Rock voicing their displeasure over the development, that is what brought about the emergence of the midget election rigger he-goat called Ngige now a progressive in APC.
Since then we have wiped out the handicapp, now we are ruling the Nigeria education sector just as we are destined for it.

PDP are criminals but APC are not better bc they are the products, byeproducts, passive and active products of PDP.
Bc if Ngige should leave PDP after stolen people's mandate to join APC and Akume after running down Benue from PDP to join APC, Nyako from PDP to APC, Shetiima from PDP to APC, Sylva from PDPoo to APC, Segun Oni from PDP to APC, Kwankwaso from PDP to APC, Rochas nko et al lol that means APC is made up of only 4 people Tinubu, Fashola, Oshomole, Buhari

What a nation

God bless my village party APGA, a local party with international appeal.

13 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Bunchersstab(m): 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
MsSteph:

I really don't want to insult the owner or his workers. I want them to use this forum to help give voice to those without a voice.

If this salary issue is taken seriously on here I trust pdp to make suswam pay that money but since it won't happen I will take my voice to somewhere else cos I am also tormenting the governor on facebook and twitter
Oine, wats ur FB name?
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
Bunchersstab:
Oine, wats ur FB name?
face the issue at hand. What has fb name gat to do with salary?

5 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
@OkijaAmaka you guys have nice village chiefs in benue our over all king is a pdp man so we don't expect anytin to happen. Cos suswam made it clear that he is not going to pay let the next governor settle the salary issue.

In my village sef no village head or chief stays in the village they are either in abuja,lag or abroad.

Wise we had "strong men in benue" to help out cause it is really sad. Children not going to school and teachers dying this is very sad

6 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
Primary schools shut for 8months and no one is talking about it! If this was an APC state it would be on the front page already.

6 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by tempem: 9:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
This is bitter
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nasri100(m): 9:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
They are back now!!!
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by shadowwalker101: 9:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Smartsyn(m): 9:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
Even Kogi State ooo

There primary school staff has been on strike too, they have even lost count of how long the strike has last.

2 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by kenbee(f): 9:17pm On Jul 14, 2014
and democratically elected government still exist there?
This is pure government insurgent against his people.

State of Emergency should be declared in that state!

2 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Sadiq3051(m): 9:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
how things Das good
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by psychologist(m): 9:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
If the foundation be destroyed............what can the universities lectures of this world do angry
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by adekayo1234(m): 9:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
Are you for mean it? Even primary schools are not spared in this katakata country?! shocked shocked shocked

E be like say dem want this children to acclimatise to the Nigerian factor so that when they get to university it won't seem new to them.
For all those involved in this shit, i say contunu cos diaris god in everything we are doying
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by fitzmayowa: 9:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hmmm...this is terrible

Well benue primary school children are feeling the polluted fresh air...cheesy

Pee Dee Pee polluted fresh air to the people

3 Likes

Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Blackchampion(m): 9:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Good market for Private schools.
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by shadelek(m): 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
You can't raise #4b to pay for Teacher's salaries bt u can raise #20b to campaign for your second term in office? DereisGod sha
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by psychologist(m): 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
adekayo1234: a
b angry
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by hydeka: 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
This not good
Re: Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
This coming from Benue state is a great disappointment. Even the poorest northern states that have'nt even come to a perfect understanding of the importance of western education and that that have nothing have gone past this level of dragging issues with teachers over minnum wage. Well... The boss has said he cant pay... No level of e-rant can chanage his already made mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pat Asadu Donates 200-Seat E-Library To UNN, Inaguarated By Governor Ugwuanyi / Diploma For Direct Entry Into Obafemi Awolowo University / We Can Go On Strike Anytime ― ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.