Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' (1175 Views)

Man Tells Court How Wife Battered His Manhood, Poured Pepper On It / See Face Of Man Who Battered His Wife & Inflicted Deep Cut On Her In Lagos(pics) / Immigration Officer’s Wife Battered For Shunning Love Advances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by amNIGERIA: 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
Sweden Democrat MP Anna Hagwall has been censured by the party after saying that women should "stop whining" about domestic violence and that they shoulder the responsibility to end the abuse.

These types of statement signal a high level of naivete and it's obvious this person shouldn't handle these kind of questions," Sweden Democrat party spokesperson Paula Bieler told The Local.

Hagwall uttered the comments when asked by Sveriges Radio her view on equality and men's violence against women. The Swedish MP, one of four female Sweden Democrats sitting in parliament, later declined to retract her position in an interview with the Dagens Nyheter (DN) daily.

"You should deal with it at an early stage and think twice about who you marry and move in with," she said. "Often these men show tendencies of treating women around them badly, their mothers and sisters."

Hagwall claimed that women need to be more aware and take better care of themselves. They also need to exercise cunning as they are generally at a physically disadvantage.

The 61-year-old, who emigrated to Sweden from Hungary in 1972, pointed out that the welfare system offers a great deal of support for women in abusive relationships.

"All you have to do is go to the social services and let them know what's going on. You do actually get help in Sweden and don't have to let it end in the woman being murdered," she told DN.

She did however point out that the men also have some responsibility for the situation, explaining that it is not acceptable to break down a woman or a family and that these men deserved to be dumped.

"I feel sorry for the women as victims but it's still their darned responsibility as well," she told DN.

The Sweden Democrats told The Local that Hagwall's views did not represent those of the party as a whole.

"We believe there should be an even stronger support system in place for women who are being abused in order to encourage them to go through the legal process and achieve justice."

http://www.thelocal.se/20140716/sweden-democrat-battered-women-should-stop-whining
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
Well what's wrong with what she said?

1 Like

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by TV01(m): 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
cococandy: Well what's wrong with what she said?

Clanger alert grin!

Lottie how far? Just figured out it's you. I liked your old handle jor.

The prevailing notion is "the victim is never to be blamed - in whole or in part - ever". It's PC orthodoxy. It's good as far as it goes, but it does present a dilemma of sorts - in some instances.

To claim it as stated means that women are not responsible for even their own choices. Which is probably what prompted the lady' remarks. There was a thread here a while back about "abuse". It was over a 100 pages.

One poster wrote about her serially dating "abusive men", but was very clear that no one should "blame" her. And of course, no one is blaming her for the "abuse", but one must question her "choices", emotional intelligence and maturity. But even that is off-limits according to the above mantra.

The truth is that if many women were more discerning, savvy and with higher expectations, many instances of abuse situations would never happen and many others would be stopped earlier. But it's simply not PC to say so.

This is what I reckon the lady in the OP probably meant, especially given the high level of support available to those in abusive situations in Sweden.

How's Oga?

TV
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 1:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
Of course I understand tha's what she meant too.
Just that it is easy to quote her out of context.

Erm we are fine smiley thanks.
My old handle had some issues after the hurricane.
TV01:

Clanger alert grin!

Lottie how far? Just figured out it's you. I liked your old handle jor.

The prevailing notion is "the victim is never to be blamed - in whole or in part - ever". It's PC orthodoxy. It's good as far as it goes, but it does present a dilemma of sorts - in some instances.

To claim it as stated means that women are not responsible for even their own choices. Which is probably what prompted the lady' remarks. There was a thread here a while back about "abuse". It was over a 100 pages.

One poster wrote about her serially dating "abusive men", but was very clear that no one should "blame" her. And of course, no one is blaming her for the "abuse", but one must question her "choices", emotional intelligence and maturity. But even that is off-limits according to the above mantra.

The truth is that if many women were more discerning, savvy and with higher expectations, many instances of abuse situations would never happen and many others would be stopped earlier. But it's simply not PC to say so.

This is what I reckon the lady in the OP probably meant, especially given the high level of support available to those in abusive situations in Sweden.

How's Oga?

TV
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by TV01(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
cococandy: Of course I understand tha's what she meant too.
Just that it is easy to quote her out of context.

Erm we are fine smiley thanks.
My old handle had some issues after the hurricane.
I agree. The title was a bit misleading, but her utterances are very clear - and sensible IMHO. But she has blashpemed against the prevailing orthodoxy. She will be excommunicated if she doesn't repent with sackcloth and ashes. The fact that it somehow suggests that women are mindless creatures who need protection from themselves is besides the point.

TV
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
Lol
TV01:
I agree. The title was a bit misleading, but her utterances are very clear - and sensible IMHO. But she has blashpemed against the prevailing orthodoxy. She will be excommunicated if she doesn't repent with sackcloth and ashes. The fact that it somehow suggests that women are mindless creatures who need protection from themselves is besides the point.
TV

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2014
I have a strong feeling that I'll need my mat on this thread. cool

1 Like

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 1:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
Shift for me joor.
alutacontinua: I have a strong feeling that I'll need my mat on this thread. cool
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
cococandy: Shift for me joor.

Sure! cool cheesy

1 Like

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 17, 2014
She didn't say nothing wrong... More often than not, women know the kinda man d niccur is, they choose to date/marry him anyway... If Rihanna is given the chance, she'd prolly run back to chris.... But then, when some women fall in luv, they throw common sense out the window... Aside that, I know several girls that claim they don't like nice dudes, d stubborner, d rougher, d tougher, the better....Its like buying an aggressive dog and expecting it to bite anyone else but urself, alas, aggressive dogs bite even their owners when they re pissed...
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by sailormoon: 2:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
Simply packing up and leaving and or/reporting seems, on the surface, like the obvious choice, but consider the fact that often, victims are threatened by their abusers when attempting to do so, so it really isn't that easy and 'all you have to do'.

There is a big difference between cases of those whose lives as well as friends and family are genuinely in danger and being threatened and cases of those who put up with it because they 'love' their abuser and believe they can and will change (these are the types of women I assume she's referring to and if so, I can appreciate some of the points she made).

Ionno, this topic isn't just black and white, it can be more complicated than it seems.
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by TV01(m): 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2014
sailormoon: Simply packing up and leaving and or/reporting seems, on the surface, like the obvious choice, but consider the fact that often, victims are threatened by their abusers when attempting to do so, so it really isn't that easy and 'all you have to do'.
How can tackling abuse head-on in it's incipient stages be anything but obvious? Especially if it's early on in a relationship or before any kind of commitment, and moreso in a country like Sweden where "victims" are well supported.

Even in a committed relationship, unless there is evidence for the "he turned into an axe-wileding psychopath overnight without any warning or reason" thesis, there would have been a pattern of - likely escalatory - behaviour that should have been addressed. Perhaps "counselling"
would have dealt with any issues way before it became abusive if handled properly.

Subsribing to the "no-blame" mantra will at times make it seem that women are simply incapable of managing their lives/relationships and their bad choices/failures to act are simply not somehting to be addressed or considered.

Can't say I'm an abuse expert sha, so maybe there is nuance here that I'm not seeing.

TV
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by bukatyne(f): 6:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
While the woman in the OP is right, it is not clearly black and white but then again, she is talking based on her society
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by coogar: 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
alutacontinua: I have a strong feeling that I'll need my mat on this thread. cool

1 Like

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by armyofone(m): 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
True....I think America is the only country with a good strong support system for battered women.

bukatyne: While the woman in the OP is right, it is not clearly black and white but then again, she is talking based on her society
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by coogar: 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
armyofone: True....I think America is the only country with a good strong support system for battered women.

america?
support system in europe is stronger particularly in the UK. ask yourself why UK is the divorce capital of the world?
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by armyofone(m): 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2014
So what number do they dial for cops to show up?

God bless the monarch! cheesy

I hope Naija ladies in UK are utilizing it grin

coogar:
america?
support system in europe is stronger particularly in the UK. ask yourself why UK is the divorce capital of the world?
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by coogar: 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
armyofone: So what number do they dial for cops to show up?

God bless the monarch! cheesy

I hope Naija ladies in UK are utilizing it grin

i am sure they have up to 500 numbers. women always win here, bias or not. if the government had the money to quickly move things around, female prisons would have been closed since 2008.
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by bukatyne(f): 10:07pm On Jul 17, 2014
armyofone: True....I think America is the only country with a good strong support system for battered women.

The only time everyone advices a battered woman to leave or seperate temporarily is when she's in the grave.

Our society sees nothing in it no matter the seemingly public outcry against it
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2014
I still think the Nigerian woman owes it to herself to take the bulls by the horn and walk when she is being maltreated.
Granted that she won't get divorce settlement and child care allowances like her mates in the overseas,but if more women stood up to nonsense more and more,it will set trend that discourages up-coming females from seeing themselves as helpless victims who can't take care of themselves.

Which leaves me to wonder. Are there no female law makers in Nigeria? How they don't see this issue as one to be addressed is beyond me.
If these serial abusers have to be responsible for their kids and settle their spouses in cases of divorce caused by abuse,they'll think well before battering their wives.

bukatyne:

The only time everyone advices a battered woman to leave or seperate temporarily is when she's in the grave.

Our society sees nothing in it no matter the seemingly public outcry against it
Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by bukatyne(f): 8:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
Cococandy,

If a woman grew up in a home where her father battered her mother and they still came out to say they are 'happily' married, why do you think she will see a battering fiancee as evil?

Until we overhaul the whole system and people have worthy examples at home not 'my parents have been married for donkey years', the problem just started.

cococandy: I still think the Nigerian woman owes it to herself to take the bulls by the horn and walk when she is being maltreated.
Granted that she won't get divorce settlement and child care allowances like her mates in the overseas,but if more women stood up to nonsense more and more,it will set trend that discourages up-coming females from seeing themselves as helpless victims who can't take care of themselves.

Which leaves me to wonder. Are there no female law makers in Nigeria? How they don't see this issue as one to be addressed is beyond me.
If these serial abusers have to be responsible for their kids and settle their spouses in cases of divorce caused by abuse,they'll think well before battering their wives.

Re: Female Politician : 'battered Women Should Stop Whining' by cococandy(f): 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2014
bukatyne: Cococandy,

If a woman grew up in a home where her father battered her mother and they still came out to say they are 'happily' married, why do you think she will see a battering fiancee as evil?

Until we overhaul the whole system and people have worthy examples at home not 'my parents have been married for donkey years', the problem just started.

true

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong In Me Going Out To Watch Football Outside / 5 Simple Things That Can Change Your Relationship / I'm Never Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.