Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,931 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage (628 Views)

The Power Of Punctuation / Mass Failure Of Students On The Rise At LASU / Causes And Solutions To Mass Failure Of Students In Nigeria Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2014
The use of the 'exclamation mark' in sentences nowadays is just out-rightly alarming. Is it that our secondary schools fail to imbibe simple usage of punctuation in our young ones?
I read so many posts and opinion on the internet and I'm alarmed at the rate people use the exclamation mark with reckless abandon. You ask someone, "how are you today?" And she replies "I'm fine!!", Someone lost a job opportunity the other day and posted, "I feel sober!!" Seriously? Why shouting then? You should be calm! Seems to me like everyone is raising their voice nowadays o. I'm not even going to talk about the normal use of 'am' instead of 'I am' or I'm. Common na... na wa o. So, What do you think? Reckless punctuation usage, Is it just an 'in thing' now, or ignorance? Share your views!
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
gringrin LOL! Fattbabakay is an example that abbreviates a lot. Urggh! sad

1 Like

Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
Lol. Tell me about it o.
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by fattbabakay(m): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
FrancisTony: gringrin LOL! Fattbabakay is an example that abbreviates a lot. Urggh! sad
dem dey talk punctuation u dey talk abbreviation...U don go drink again ba tongue
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 20, 2014
fattbabakay: dem dey talk punctuation u dey talk abbreviation...U don go drink again ba tongue

Hahahaha. Bad mouthed guy
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Liamm(m): 12:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
Lol... You're on point @Op

internet usage has taken away everything we learnt in school with regards "punctuation"

just hope it doesn't extend to our application letters grin
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 28, 2014
Liamm: Lol... You're on point @Op

internet usage has taken away everything we learnt in school with regards "punctuation"

just hope it doesn't extend to our application letters grin
you're on point. Why not? When so many people have obviously lost it, in relations to punctuation usage.
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by jaryeh(m): 8:35am On Jul 28, 2014
You're right OP. But what can we do to help such people.
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
jaryeh: You're right OP. But what can we do to help such people.

By grooming them well I guess. And making them realise when they make simple mistakes too.
Re: Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage by lemmeknow: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
it happens because we tend to give seamless responses to msg, thereby ignoring d essence of punctuations.

a promo is on, 50mb each to 25 PERSONS.
D new Android plans with Etisalat.
50mb@N100_1gb@1.4k n mor
https://www.nairaland.com/1840190/d-new-etisalat-android-plans
enquires on whatsapp/voice call 09090431565

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

200L University Admission Without UTME / Unilorin Student Caught For Alleged Kidnapping / Federal Polytechnic Oko Postutme 2014/2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.