Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,323 members, 7,954,300 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:17 PM

For Your Information - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / For Your Information (916 Views)

How To Stop People From Stealing Your Information Online / How To Survive & Secure Your Information/data When Your Smartphone Goes Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Your Information by FemiTheCritic(m): 10:58am On Jul 18, 2014
I noticed, we all know, that most people have been throwing insults on Network providers concerning the fact that they consume much data on Non-BB devices. All I want to say Is that its not their fault. Most people don't know that Android/ioS devices don't have "Data Compression Technology" installed in them unlike Blackberries like Curve, Bold e.t.c. That's why Chrome beta, Opera Mini App for Android comes with the Data Compression Technology unlike the Default Browsers that comes with the devices. Yes, I know that Networks also charge much amount of money for Data, that we can blame them for. But all I'm trying to say is that the so called Android/ioS devices don't come with "Data Compression Technology". So be wise when criticizing Networks. #WhatILearnt
Re: For Your Information by Illuminatus(m): 11:22am On Jul 18, 2014
Okay. Point taken. I've noticed this before, anyway. But the thing is that they don't provide the same amount of data for non-BB users as they do for BB users for (relatively) the same price.

1 Like

Re: For Your Information by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
Illuminatus: Okay. Point taken. I've noticed this before, anyway. But the thing is that they don't provide the same amount of data for non-BB users as they do for BB users for (relatively) the same price.
Honestly I don't really understand the logic behind the NCC's stand on the BB issue. If we are to follow the explanation on the data compression of BB phones, then in reality if BB and non-BB phones cannot have the same amount of data for the same price, the data for BB phones ought to be more expensive & not cheaper.
Re: For Your Information by FemiTheCritic(m): 12:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
Yeah, that's where NCC and the Networks are failing.

1 Like

Re: For Your Information by lilmax(m): 12:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
You are right
Re: For Your Information by Illuminatus(m): 8:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
0rex:
Honestly I don't really understand the logic behind the NCC's stand on the BB issue. If we are to follow the explanation on the data compression of BB phones, then in reality if BB and non-BB phones cannot have the same amount of data for the same price, the data for BB phones ought to be more expensive & not cheaper.
Your argument could be likened to arguing that the fuel given to a man that drives a Honda should be less expensive than the one given to a man that drives a Pegeuot 406 because it consumes less full. I (and many others like me) argue that the data give to non-BB users should be (relatively) equal in size and cost to that given to BB users.
Re: For Your Information by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
Illuminatus:
Your argument could be likened to arguing that the fuel given to a man that drives a Honda should be less expensive than the one given to a man that drives a Pegeuot 406 because it consumes less full. I (and many others like me) argue that the data give to non-BB users should be (relatively) equal in size and cost to that given to BB users.
cheesy You obviously don't understand my point. I'm saying the idea of having cheaper data for BB devices because they consume less data due to their data compression protocols should actually make their own data more expensive (if one must be more expensive than the other) instead of making it cheaper.
Unless if my understanding of BB compression protocols as explained by NCC then as being the reason for their cheaper data is wrong.
Note: I also believe in the argument that the data give to non-BB users should be (relatively) equal in size and cost to that given to BB users. wink

2 Likes

Re: For Your Information by dazekid(m): 10:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
Illuminatus:

People who have just read a couple of articles like to come on NL and act like they know shii..
I hope the OP umderstands that 3Gbs of data is the same no matter what phone it is on.
If you were to have a point,you'd state that Blackberry provides the 3Gb for BIS and channels it through their own servers while ISP's provide the data for android and that's why it is more expensive...
Re: For Your Information by LordReed(m): 10:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
dazekid:

People who have just read a couple of articles like to come on NL and act like they know shii..
I hope the OP umderstands that 3Gbs of data is the same no matter what phone it is on.
If you were to have a point,you'd state that Blackberry provides the 3Gb for BIS and channels it through their own servers while ISP's provide the data for android and that's why it is more expensive...

Not quite the case. One of the reasons Blackberry subscriptions are cheaper is because the compression allows the device to use less time on the network resources. This is the same reason Opera Mini plans are also cheap however Blackberry has a further incentive for the Telecos because there is profit sharing involved which is not available for Opera Mini. It is also why night plans are cheaper in that they occur during a time period when network resources are less in demand.

2 Likes

Re: For Your Information by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
LordReed:

Not quite the case. One of the reasons Blackberry subscriptions are cheaper is because the compression allows the device to use ...
Thanks for the explanation. cool
Re: For Your Information by HumanPsycho(m): 1:16am On Jul 19, 2014
Weather compression tech or not, data allocation should be equally served and open at same prices, if an android user exceeds limit in shorter time good for them. And if they hang on data compression tech as a reason, then maybe blackberry users should get lesser data since their compression technology means they can utilize lesser data for large downloads.

However, I don't really care because newer blackberry 10 devices do not even have a place, which tells you their billing system will fail when older BB devices are out phased. Already i know alot of my friends who ported to glo just because MTN do not allow standard BB subscription on newer BB device. So I wander what will become of them when their so called BB faithfuls gets on the newer ones which equally has android capabilities. Only glo and airtel threw their subscription open for newer BB device making them also open to android. Etisalat & MTN remain stubborn, airtel insist on being dubious, Lets watch and see who wins android users or stubborn data policy only time will tell for now its airtel and glo.

1 Like

Re: For Your Information by LordReed(m): 10:43am On Jul 19, 2014
HumanPsycho: Weather compression tech or not, data allocation should be equally served and open at same prices, if an android user exceeds limit in shorter time good for them. And if they hang on data compression tech as a reason, then maybe blackberry users should get lesser data since their compression technology means they can utilize lesser data for large downloads.

However, I don't really care because newer blackberry 10 devices do not even have a place, which tells you their billing system will fail when older BB devices are out phased. Already i know alot of my friends who ported to glo just because MTN do not allow standard BB subscription on newer BB device. So I wander what will become of them when their so called BB faithfuls gets on the newer ones which equally has android capabilities. Only glo and airtel threw their subscription open for newer BB device making them also open to android. Etisalat & MTN remain stubborn, airtel insist on being dubious, Lets watch and see who wins android users or stubborn data policy only time will tell for now its airtel and glo.

The things that drive costs up have to become cheaper or more. Internet connectivity infrastructure is pretty low in this country plus the high costs of importing, installation and maintenance is still a burden. Soon new technologies may driver these costs down IE Google's project for connectivity in remote areas. The bad thing is all these changes are driven by outsiders.

1 Like

Re: For Your Information by dazekid(m): 11:01am On Jul 19, 2014
LordReed:

Not quite the case. One of the reasons Blackberry subscriptions are cheaper is because the compression allows the device to use less time on the network resources. This is the same reason Opera Mini plans are also cheap however Blackberry has a further incentive for the Telecos because there is profit sharing involved which is not available for Opera Mini. It is also why night plans are cheaper in that they occur during a time period when network resources are less in demand.

This the same with what I said you just explained while I did not.The fact is that the compression is done using blackberry's servers and so the data allocation isn't using a high number of network resources on the ISPs' end and isn't heavy on their servers.

(1) (Reply)

Monitor Your Home Remotely From The Comfort Of Your Mobile Device. / Samsung Seriously Loosing Its Grips / Etisalat Speed More Than Jet On Injoo I2s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.