Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? (13981 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
lawanson44: A friend of mine in malaysia has sent me the link on request and i'm already downloading it sef! Will go to shoprite and buy pop-corn so i can watch it tonite
Please can you send the link to my mail too so I can download too. sammygman09@yahoo.com
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by godofwar666(m): 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
Are you asking me? Please ask google na?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by XKZ(m): 7:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
This blame game is totally unnecessary, pirates will always find a way to get their hands on any movie they think will sell.
Most big Hollywood movies are available online, illegally, within a week (cinema version). Better quality versions are available within a month.

It's not uncommon to have Hollywood movies legally available for purchase (both digital and hard copy media) while still in theatres.

Frozen (2013) was released in the US on 27 November 2013 and was released for digital download on February 25, 2014 (3 months later).
It was released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on March 18, 2014. Meanwhile it wasn't released in cinemas in Japan until March 14, 2014.
It did not close in theatres till July 17, 2014 after making $1,267,838,009 (worldwide).
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Bawss1(m): 8:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
JustCalMeDBoss: Not tryin to burst anyones bubble but half of a yellow sun is the greatest flop of a movie produced by nollywood. Not saying its good for it to be pirated either. I actually told ma frnds in the us and uk to go watch that movie buh dey said they could not find it. The norm was for d movie to go thru festivals, and in hope for them to see a distributor buh alas no body wanted to distribute it. Check boxoffice mojo and u can see d film has barely made a $100000 wen the film was advertised to be made with $8 million men those guys are in real soup.

Lol@ those guys are in real soup.
grin cheesy
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by lawal28c: 4:38am On Jul 21, 2014
THE gods.......BLAME EM
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Bawsse(m): 11:04am On Jul 21, 2014
lawanson44: A friend of mine in malaysia has sent me the link on request and i'm already downloading it sef! Will go to shoprite and buy pop-corn so i can watch it tonite

brother pls send to bossanems@gmail.com or add 7AAA8DF1
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Bawsse(m): 11:06am On Jul 21, 2014
Bawss1:

Lol@ those guys are in real soup.
grin cheesy

u shudda been more creative in choosing a username, instead of stealing mine
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Bigsteveg(m): 12:07pm On Jul 21, 2014
Someone pls help with d link to download this movies, YouTube is always too heavy(lager size).
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Orikinla(m): 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
kjbobo: OP,are you sure about the NETFLIX thingy?I have searched on Netflix and no results!

I don't know about the NETFLIX tag on the YouTube video.
But someone said it is selling for N150 a copy on the street in LAGOS.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Orikinla(m): 4:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
XKZ: This blame game is totally unnecessary, pirates will always find a way to get their hands on any movie they think will sell.
Most big Hollywood movies are available online, illegally, within a week (cinema version). Better quality versions are available within a month.

It's not uncommon to have Hollywood movies legally available for purchase (both digital and hard copy media) while still in theatres.

Frozen (2013) was released in the US on 27 November 2013 and was released for digital download on February 25, 2014 (3 months later).
It was released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on March 18, 2014. Meanwhile it wasn't released in cinemas in Japan until March 14, 2014.
It did not close in theatres till July 17, 2014 after making $1,267,838,009 (worldwide).

Okay.
But "Half of a Yellow Sun" had some special commercial screenings in Nigeria.
A bank even paid millions for the staff and guests to see it in Lagos.
So, there is a lack of transparency in the local distribution.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by XKZ(m): 8:19pm On Jul 21, 2014
Orikinla:

Okay.
But "Half of a Yellow Sun" had some special commercial screenings in Nigeria.
A bank even paid millions for the staff and guests to see it in Lagos.
So, there is a lack of transparency in the local distribution.

Can you blame them?
Public viewing was 'banned', that doesn't mean they can't have private viewings.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Bawss1(m): 10:42am On Jul 22, 2014
Bawsse:

u shudda been more creative in choosing a username, instead of stealing mine

My moniker was registered back in 2007, yours in 2010. Your allegation is baseless.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by omar22(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I feel for Chimamanda Adichie over the money she may have lost to pirates. This was exactly what happened to Moses Adejumo aka Baba Sala, that still makes him look impoverished after over 30 years.

And who told you she lost money? its her book they adapted into a movie, its not her movie!!! they would have paid her upfront for the right to screen the story. I guess the Nollywood illness has caught up with them.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 23, 2014
Okay, you wan start blaming again? Continue! No problem!

The filmmakers are solely to blame for their success or their woes! The issues with Nigerians is we always fight the wrong cause, then end up getting no results. Same way we like blaming leaders for corruption (like no leader around the world won't love to be corrupt), instead of fighting the system that aids corruption (and what's the system made up of? The CITIZENS). The problem of Nollywood has never been, is not and will never be piracy! Lonzo Nzekwe once said in an interview; "how can anybody combat piracy, when big hollywood studios still haven't figured it out". Kunle Afolayan has never listed Piracy as Nollywood's problem. He has often said lack of proper distribution structure is Nollywood's biggest problem. These are professionals who knows what's what. Piracy business is a thriving sector in every country. But if you have good business plan, it shouldn't stop you from making your profit.

HOAYS had one of the worst distribution strategy have ever seen anywhere! Just goes to prove the saying: "people who own caps do not have heads, while those who have heads do not own caps". How can a film with so much popularity be so clueless?

1. Lemme start with the ban; see publicity on a platter of gold and they messed it up! Even Chineze Anyaene said it that it was a good publicity and that they should solve it on time before it gets cold. Instead of these guys to yank out the scenes fast and get the thing out latest by May, they were busy writing 'counter-articles' on newspapers to discredit censors board. And chimamanda wey done get her own money dey decide for them. They failed to realize that at the end of the day, no one loses but them. Not censors board, not Chimamanda. Them come agree to their terms when people already got tired of waiting and the film already got pirated. Smh, i'm so damn sure that film would've made atleast $3 million in Nigeria, if it was released in May! Some people were even ready to travel from their cities to cities with cinemas just to see hoays. They just effed up and dragged things unnecessarily.

2. Why start online streaming when you know you ain't done with theatrical screening? I even read it'd be released on dvd (i guess this is because pirated version is already selling), when you are not done with cinema releases? For Nigeria? Na which kind business be this one?

The financier, Yewande Sadiku isn't experienced in the Nigerian film business and it is so evident in this project. Movie world isn't about just splashing hollywood faces, hiring hollywood producers, and associating a british production company, You need to understand how your own market works. Instead of her to consult gurus in the 'business' like kunle and Obi, she was busy saying what is Nollywood and what is not, when she was even one of the beneficiaries of the government intervention fund. And claiming all things first. Smh.
So now they got just 1 million+ from their "target market"? Interesting grin. This is how a confused project ends up.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by prof800(m): 11:36am On Jul 23, 2014
speedyboi: Okay, you wan start blaming again? Continue! No problem!
The filmmakers are solely to blame for their success or their woes! The issues with Nigerians is we always fight the wrong cause, then end up getting no results. Same way we like blaming leaders for corruption (like no leader around the world won't love to be corrupt), instead of fighting the system that aids corruption (and what's the system made up of? The CITIZENS). The problem of Nollywood has never been, is not and will never be piracy! Lonzo Nzekwe once said in an interview; "how can anybody combat piracy, when big hollywood studios still haven't figured it out". Kunle Afolayan has never listed Piracy as Nollywood's problem. He has often said lack of proper distribution structure is Nollywood's biggest problem. These are professionals who knows what's what. Piracy business is a thriving sector in every country. But if you have good business plan, it shouldn't stop you from making your profit.
HOAYS had one of the worst distribution strategy have ever seen anywhere! Just goes to prove the saying: "people who own caps do not have heads, while those who have heads do not own caps". How can a film with so much popularity be so clueless?
1. Lemme start with the ban; see publicity on a platter of gold and they messed it up! Even Chineze Anyaene said it that it was a good publicity and that they should solve it on time before it gets cold. Instead of these guys to yank out the scenes fast and get the thing out latest by May, they were busy writing 'counter-articles' on newspapers to discredit censors board. And chimamanda wey done get her own money dey decide for them. They failed to realize that at the end of the day, no one loses but them. Not censors board, not Chimamanda. Them come agree to their terms when people already got tired of waiting and the film already got pirated. Smh, i'm so damn sure that film would've made atleast $3 million in Nigeria, if it was released in May! Some people were even ready to travel from their cities to cities with cinemas just to see hoays. They just effed up and dragged things unnecessarily.
2. Why start online streaming when you know you ain't done with theatrical screening? I even read it'd be released on dvd (i guess this is because pirated version is already selling), when you are not done with cinema releases? For Nigeria? Na which kind business be this one?
The financier, Yewande Sadiku isn't experienced in the Nigerian film business and it is so evident in this project. Movie world isn't about just splashing hollywood faces, hiring hollywood producers, and associating a british production company, You need to understand how your own market works. Instead of her to consult gurus in the 'business' like kunle and Obi, she was busy saying what is Nollywood and what is not, when she was even one of the beneficiaries of the government intervention fund. And claiming all things first. Smh.
So now they got just 1 million+ from their "target market"? Interesting grin. This is how a confused project ends up.
GBAM!!!

So on point.

...but let's see what will happen after the August 1 premiere.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
prof800:
GBAM!!!

So on point.

...but let's see what will happen after the August 1 premiere.

i'm sorry to sound like a prophet of doom. This film had great prospects. But cluelessness and mismanagement messed it up. Now, it is already looking like a failed project. "District 9" had no single star in it, tight budget and couldn't afford aggressive marketing. But the film made like times 7 profit. And it's not because it had Peter Jackson as producer. Those guys did some 'mad' unusual marketing in the states that didn't require much money. HOAYS didn't really do any big marketing in their "target markets", but they expected manna from heaven. People are not interested in seeing your film. To make your film a blockbuster, you have to make the film to be practically in people's faces; they hear about it, see something about it, infact smell it everywhere they go! Some people in the UK who were aware of the film even said they didn't know when it premiered in the UK. And the market where it got lots of publicity, they messed it up! Yes, Nigeria lack cinemas, whatever happened to renting event halls in all 36 states to screen the film simoultaneously for a month (rent is much cheaper for weekdays sef)? In institutions? All it needs is just to pay some youths "#2,000" and they are ready. I'm sure the amount that'll finish it cannot be more than normal cinema cut. They would've made double the budget by now. Isn't that what kunle did with "the figurine" (not all 36 states though)?

I'm not exactly saying they should follow the same method, all i'm saying is; it's obvious these guys didn't really workout plan A, B and C. They only had a plan A, which was not even well thought out OR they are just plain lazy. 8 million going to dustbin gradually, what a shame.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by VillageBoi(m): 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
^^^
So true!

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Haryoryhemie(f): 2:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
I downloaded and watched the so called "Half Of A Yellow Sun" yesterday, its meaningless. I was so disappointed DAT so much money was wasted on it
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Orikinla(m): 6:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
Haryoryhemie: I downloaded and watched the so called "Half Of A Yellow Sun" yesterday, its meaningless. I was so disappointed DAT so much money was wasted on it
Did you pay for it?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Originalsly: 9:39pm On Aug 27, 2014
Orikinla:
Did you pay for it?
Why should she when you advertised where she can for free?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? by Orikinla(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2014
Originalsly: Why should she when you advertised where she can for free?

The pirates have even gone ahead to hawk both pirated copies of the novel and DVD of the film on the streets.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nkenna (big Brother Africa), A Model Of A Nigerian Woman? / Victoria Laz (vee) Emerges As Winner Of Royalty Reality TV Show Season 3. / AMVCA 2013: Full List Of Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.