Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,054 members, 7,821,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? (5619 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Seemyfather(m): 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
Which of the Yoruba language speaking state/tribe speaks the most fluent, correct and the real or the original Yoruba language? I was once asked by a very good friend of mine and my answer to him was that the Ijebu people and the Egba people of Ogun State speaks the most correct and original Yoruba language, followed by the Ekiti and Akure people.

Sorry. I stand to be corrected if my answer's to that question was wrong. Now over to you all for your contributions.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
osun
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
Egba, and the Eko people. I stand to be corrected though cheesy
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by temhab(f): 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
It's Ibadan

3 Likes

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by technophile(m): 3:37pm On Jul 18, 2014
Chia! If somebody should Mention Ekiti here... I've been to that place and anytime I heard them speaking their dialect like this, I normally assume they are speaking another language entirely cos I can hardly grab a letter from the word they are saying.

It's either Osun or Oyo.

3 Likes

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
It is yoruitshekiri, dia yoruba too fluent die. My 50cent!
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by tobtap: 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2014
OYO.....THE GENERAL YORUBA SPOKEN GENERALLY AND ALSO TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS IS THE OYO VERSION OF YORUBA LANGUAGE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by tpia1: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
oyo is the standard yoruba which is universally intelligible ie its understood in every nook and corner of the southwest.

if by "most fluent" and "correct" you mean standard language.

your presentation could use some upgrading.

followed by lagos dialect if you ignore the "posh-isms" there.

if we are rating languages based on how well they are understood by the most number of non native speakers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by macof(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
Seemyfather: Which of the Yoruba language speaking state/tribe speaks the most fluent, correct and the real or the original Yoruba language? I was once asked by a very good friend of mine and my answer to him was that the Ijebu people and the Egba people of Ogun State speaks the most correct and original Yoruba language, followed by the Ekiti and Akure people.

Sorry. I stand to be corrected if my answer's to that question was wrong. Now over to you all for your contributions.

This is so dumb that I don't even know where to begin

Every Yoruba tribe speaks it's own language, different from the other but it's still YORUBA OYO is just most spread across yorubaland

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Emmyk(m): 4:40pm On Jul 20, 2014
Idk *yawning*
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
No Yoruba dialect is the most fluent or best. Each Yoruba dialect to its own, is unique and interesting, and none of them supercedes the other. It is a common knowledge that the Oyo dialect is more widespread because a number of pioneer Yoruba literature texts were written with it. Beside this, I think Ijebu, Ondo, Egba, Ijesha and Ekiti dialects are also widespread.

3 Likes

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
Seemyfather: Which of the Yoruba language speaking state/tribe speaks the most fluent, correct and the real or the original Yoruba language? I was once asked by a very good friend of mine and my answer to him was that the Ijebu people and the Egba people of Ogun State speaks the most correct and original Yoruba language, followed by the Ekiti and Akure people.

As Mr. TonySpike rightly pointed out, no Yoruba dialect supersedes each other and in addition, every Yoruba sub-group speak correct and original Yoruba (except the Lagos pop-Yoruba). But going by your premise -the bolded, I need to point out that original and correct Yoruba could be said to be the one spoken in Ife - you'll find drops or elements similar to Ife language in every Yoruba dialect. And also it is best to add that the actual/original Yoruba is spoken in Ooni Ogboni (Ife chiefs and chiefs across Yoruba labd join), this is the type of yoruba spoken in the days of old, it is mostly effective for incantations and charms etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by tpia1: 8:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
TonySpike: It is a common knowledge that the Oyo dialect is more widespread because a number of pioneer Yoruba literature texts were written in it

Its entirely possible Oyo dialect is not necessarily more widespread because pioneer yoruba literature is written in it, but could actually be the other way round, namely it could have been the standard for yoruba literature because its more widely understood.

1 Like

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by macof(m): 1:35am On Jul 21, 2014
expected! Ife language is one ancient one which most Yoruba groups broke out from but I have to say Okun is more ancient than even Ife language.
9jacrip:

As Mr. TonySpike rightly pointed out, no Yoruba dialect supersedes each other and in addition, every Yoruba sub-group speak correct and original Yoruba (except the Lagos pop-Yoruba). But going by your premise -the bolded, I need to point out that original and correct Yoruba could be said to be the one spoken in Ife - you'll find drops or elements similar to Ife language in every Yoruba dialect. And also it is best to add that the actual/original Yoruba is spoken in Ooni Ogboni (Ife chiefs and chiefs across Yoruba labd join), this is the type of yoruba spoken in the days of old, it is mostly effective for incantations and charms etc.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 5:42am On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

As Mr. TonySpike rightly pointed out, no Yoruba dialect supersedes each other and in addition, every Yoruba sub-group speak correct and original Yoruba (except the Lagos pop-Yoruba). But going by your premise -the bolded, I need to point out that original and correct Yoruba could be said to be the one spoken in Ife - you'll find drops or elements similar to Ife language in every Yoruba dialect. And also it is best to ad
d that the actual/original Yoruba is spoken in Ooni Ogboni (Ife chiefs and chiefs across Yoruba labd join), this is the type of yoruba spoken in the days of old, it is mostly effective for incantations and charms etc.

Actually, there's nothing like Lagos Yoruba. We know the dialects that dominated the Lagos sphere in its early days are mainly Ijebu, Awori and Oyo dialects.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 21, 2014
macof: expected! Ife language is one ancient one which most Yoruba groups broke out from but I have to say Okun is more ancient than even Ife language.

Interesting, please expatiate.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 21, 2014
TonySpike:

Actually, there's nothing like Lagos Yoruba. We know the dialects that dominated the Lagos sphere in its early days are mainly Ijebu, Awori and Oyo dialects.

In the context I used earlier, I meant Lagos Yoruba in reference to the 'pop' Yoruba spoken all over Lagoa by Yoruba and every other tribe that speaks (Igbo, Hausa etc) Yoruba in Lagos. Not sure that explanation makes sense?
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 7:45am On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

In the context I used earlier, I meant Lagos Yoruba in reference to the 'pop' Yoruba spoken all over Lagoa by Yoruba and every other tribe that speaks (Igbo, Hausa etc) Yoruba in Lagos. Not sure that explanation makes sense?

I get you clearly, sir. Lol...
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by macof(m): 12:55pm On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

Interesting, please expatiate.

actually, it's what a lot of people say..I haven't observed okun language myself.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 21, 2014
macof:

actually, it's what a lot of people say..I haven't observed okun language myself.

Oh...
I haven't heard that before and to think Okun ancestors migrated from Ife according to their history, I am curious how their language is more ancient than that of their source?
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Seemyfather(m): 1:33pm On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

Oh...
I haven't heard that before and to think Okun ancestors migrated from Ife according to their history, I am curious how their language is more ancient than that of their source?

Abi ooooooooo. Me too I wonder ooooooo. The river wey forget its source go dry up. Na so them talk am in my village style oooooooo. Abi no be so?
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2014
I personally see transformation of languages and dialects as an historical content I.e. It gives information about the migration, conquest and assimilation of the sub-group. Many Yoruba dialects were formed as thus: migration of a sub-group from one place to another, conquest of a sub-group by much more powerful group(s) and then, mild cases of cultural assimilation.

So, if we are to follow these rules, we can actually know the who's and what's of Yoruba dialects. I personally have a weakness for the Ife theory of dispersal with respect to dialect formation in Yorubaland. I'm much comfortable with Ife theory of kingship dispersal. Yes, Ife gave kingship roles to many Yoruba enclaves but dialects, I doubt!
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 21, 2014
Seemyfather:

Abi ooooooooo. Me too I wonder ooooooo. The river wey forget its source go dry up. Na so them talk am in my village style oooooooo. Abi no be so?

I'm with you my brother but Macof is one resourceful brother whose inputs peak my interest all the time.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by macof(m): 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

Oh...

Isn't it only Yagba - an Okun subgroup, that is said to have migrated from Ife??...not saying others didn't but Yagba are the only ones famous for that.

I realized with Ekiti, not all people migrated from Ife even at pre-Oodua period. Many towns were already flourishing before visitors from Ife settled between 1300-1500AD...so Okun could be identical
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 21, 2014
macof:

Isn't it only Yagba - an Okun subgroup, that is said to have migrated from Ife??...not saying others didn't but Yagba are the only ones famous for that.

I realized with Ekiti, not all people migrated from Ife pre-Oodua. Many towns were already flourishing before visitors from Ife settled between 1300-1500AD...so Okun could be identical

And this is the reason I've been holding out, I was thinking this was the case but then it seems history of Yagba is history of Okun? We are yet to hear histories of more Okun towns and you're right about settlements pre-migration from Ife.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2014
TonySpike:

I get you clearly, sir. Lol...

Yes sir, the Carlos Santana of our time cool
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 10:47pm On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

Yes sir, the Carlos Santana of our time cool

Hahaha, someone has been reading my comments on another thread.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
TonySpike:

Hahaha, someone has been reading my comments on another thread.

Actually, I am following you so I get notifications for your posts and I find your guitar thread interesting.

1 Like

Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by macof(m): 11:11pm On Jul 21, 2014
9jacrip:

And this is the reason I've been holding out, I was thinking this was the case but then it seems history of Yagba is history of Okun? We are yet to hear histories of more Okun towns and you're right about settlements pre-migration from Ife.
#out of this thread
There's a thing bothering me on the history of Oduduwa's household and his princes and their migration into various parts of yorubaland.
I don't really know any Ife person who knows much or willing to spend time on this.
I would open a thread inviting u later.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
macof:
#out of this thread
There's a thing bothering me on the history of Oduduwa's household and his princes and their migration into various parts of yorubaland.
I don't really know any Ife person who knows much or willing to spend time on this.

Oh well, bruh, I will be looking forward to the thread.
I would be willing to brainstorm through it with you and see what we can find. cool
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by Seemyfather(m): 7:07am On Jul 22, 2014
macof:
#out of this thread

Ha! "Omo iyami" abeg never go out of this thread ooooooo. Please painstakingly follo the thread whole you enjoy your stay here last.

Thanks.
Re: Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? by TonySpike: 7:28am On Jul 22, 2014
macof:
#out of this thread

One thing I know is that Yoruba language (and its dialects) is certainly older than the Oduduwa dynasty by at least 500 years. The right puzzle at this time would be placing Oduduwa at a certain timeline. Where does he fit: pre-1 AD, between 1 AD and 1000 AD or beyond 1000 AD? This is the subject for scholars now...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Want To Be Born Again As A Nigerian? / Nigerians & Foreign Accents / 5 Good And Bad Things About Nigerian People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.