Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Thought Provoking Stories - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Thought Provoking Stories (21504 Views)

The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights. / After 49 Years,Mother Reunites With The Daughter She Thought Died At Birth(PICS) / Thought Provoking Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 8:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
From time to time, I will be posting thought provoking stories. MOD front page.
Here goes number one
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:26pm On Jul 19, 2014
Hospital window.
Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room’s only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation. Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside. The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance. As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn’t hear the band – he could see it. In his mind’s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words. Days and weeks passed. One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away. As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, “Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you.”

3 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
My mom only had one eye
My mom only had one eye. I hated her… She was such an embarrassment. She cooked for students and teachers to support the family. There was this one day during elementary school where my mom came to say hello to me. I was so embarrassed. How could she do this to me? I ignored her, threw her a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school one of my classmates said, “EEEE, your mom only has one eye!” I wanted to bury myself. I also wanted my mom to just disappear. I confronted her that day and said, “If you’re only gonna make me a laughing stock, why don’t you just die?” My mom did not respond… I didn’t even stop to think for a second about what I had said, because I was full of anger. I was oblivious to her feelings. I wanted out of that house, and have nothing to do with her. So I studied real hard, got a chance to go abroad to study. Then, I got married. I bought a house of my own. I had kids of my own. I was happy with my life, my kids and the comforts. Then one day, my Mother came to visit me. She hadn’t seen me in years and she didn’t even meet her grandchildren. When she stood by the door, my children laughed at her, and I yelled at her for coming over uninvited. I screamed at her, “How dare you come to my house and scare my children! GET OUT OF HERE! NOW!!!” And to this, my mother quietly answered, “Oh, I’m so sorry. I may have gotten the wrong address.” – and she disappeared out of sight. One day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house. So I lied to my wife that I was going on a business trip. After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity. My neighbors said that she died. I did not shed a single tear. They handed me a letter that she had wanted me to have.
“My dearest son,
I think of you all the time. I’m sorry that I came to your house and scared your children. I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion. But I may not be able to even get out of bed to see you. I’m sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were growing up. You see……..when you were very little, you got into an accident, and lost your eye. As a mother, I couldn’t stand watching you having to grow up with one eye. So I gave you mine. I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my place, with that eye. With all my love to you,
Your mother.

2 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by Formidable1: 12:48am On Jul 20, 2014
Great stories!! Plz keep em coming...

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
Formidable1: Great stories!! Plz keep em coming...
at last, words of encouragement.
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 6:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
The Elephant Rope.
As a man was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not. He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. “Well,” trainer said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.” The man was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.
Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before? Failure is part of learning; we should never give up the struggle in life.

5 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by Formidable1: 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2014
Awesome!!
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2015
I need to continue this thread, probably next week.
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by Alubosa: 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2015
Thumbs up OP. Nice posts.

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 11:54am On Oct 18, 2015
The important things.
A philosophy professor stood before his class with some items on the table in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he
picked up a very large and empty
mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, about 2 inches in diameter.
He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course,
rolled into the open areas between the rocks.
He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up the remaining open areas of the jar.
He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous “Yes.”
“Now,” said the professor, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things – your
family, your partner, your health, your children – things that if everything else was
lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter – like your job, your house, your
car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff.”
“If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued, “there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If
you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the
things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take your partner out dancing. There will
always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party, or fix the disposal.”
“Take care of the rocks first – the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”

3 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:01pm On Oct 18, 2015
I have learned. I’ve learned- that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them. I’ve learned- that no matter how much I care, some people just don’t care back. I’ve learned- that it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it. I’ve learned- that no matter how good a friend is, they’re going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that. I’ve learned- that it’s not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts. I’ve learned- that you should never ruin an apology with an excuse. I’ve learned- that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes. After that, you’d better know something. I’ve learned- that you shouldn’t compare yourself to the best others can do. I’ve learned- that you can do something in an instant that will give you heartache for life. I’ve learned- that it’s taking me a long time to become the person I want to be. I’ve learned- that you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them. I’ve learned- that you can keep going long after you can’t. I’ve learned- that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel. I’ve learned- that either you control your attitude or it controls you. I’ve learned- that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place. I’ve learned- that heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. I’ve learned- that money is a lousy way of keeping score. I’ve learned- that my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and have the best time. I’ve learned- that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you’re down will be the ones to help you get back up. I’ve learned- that sometimes when I’m angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn’t give me the right to be cruel. I’ve learned- that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance. Same goes for true love. I’ve learned- that just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have. I’ve learned- that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you’ve had and what you’ve learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you’ve celebrated. I’ve learned- that you should never tell a child their dreams are unlikely or outlandish. Few things are more humiliating, and what a tragedy it would be if they believed it. I’ve learned- that your family won’t always be there for you. It may seem funny, but people you aren’t related to can take care of you and love you and teach you to trust people again. Families aren’t biological. I’ve learned- that it isn’t always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you are to learn to forgive yourself. I’ve learned- that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn’t stop for your grief. I’ve learned- that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become. I’ve learned- that a rich person is not the one who has the most, but is one who needs the least. I’ve learned- that just because two people argue, it doesn’t mean they don’t love each other. And just because they don’t argue, it doesn’t mean they do. I’ve learned- that we don’t have to change friends if we understand that friends change. I’ve learned- that you shouldn’t be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life forever. I’ve learned- that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. I’ve learned- that no matter how you try to protect your children, they will eventually get hurt and you will hurt in the process. I’ve learned- that even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help. I’ve learned- that credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being. I’ve learned- that the people you care about most in life are taken from you too soon. I’ve learned- that it’s hard to determine where to draw the line between being nice and not hurting people’s feelings, and standing up for what you believe. I’ve learned- that people will forget what you said, and people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

6 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:12pm On Oct 18, 2015
The tale of two pebbles.
Many years ago in a small Indian village, a farmer had the misfortune of owing a large
sum of money to a village moneylender. The moneylender, who was old and ugly, fancied
the farmer’s beautiful daughter. So he proposed a bargain. He said he would forgo the farmer’s debt if he could marry his daughter.
Both the farmer and his daughter were horrified by the proposal. So the cunning money-lender suggested that they let providence decide the matter. He told them that he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty money bag.
Then the girl would have to pick one pebble from the bag.
If she picked the black pebble, she would become his wife and her father’s debt would be forgiven. If she picked the white pebble she need not marry him and her
father’s debt would still be forgiven. If she refused to pick a pebble, her father would
be thrown into jail.
They were standing on a pebble strewn path in the farmer’s field. As they talked, the moneylender bent over to pick up two pebbles. As he picked them up, the sharp-
eyed girl noticed that he had picked up two black pebbles and put them into the bag. He then asked the girl to pick a pebble from the bag.
Now, imagine that you were standing in the field. What would you have done if you were
the girl? If you had to advise her, what would you have told her?
Take a moment to ponder this. What would you recommend that the girl do?
The girl put her hand into the moneybag and drew out a pebble. Without looking at it, she fumbled and let it fall onto the pebble-
strewn path where it immediately became lost among all the other pebbles.
“Oh, how clumsy of me!” she said. “But never mind, if you look into the bag for the one that is left, you will be able to tell which
pebble I picked.”
The moneylender dared not admit his dishonesty. The girl changed what seemed an impossible situation into an extremely
advantageous one.

11 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:18pm On Oct 18, 2015
The story of an eagle.
Once upon a time, at a large mountainside there was an eagle nest with 4 large eagle eggs inside.
One day, an earthquake rocked the mountain causing one of the eggs to roll down to a chicken farm, located in the valley
below.
The chickens knew that they must protect the eagle egg. Eventually, the eagle egg hatched and a beautiful eagle was born. Being chickens, the chickens raised the
eagle to be a chicken. The eagle loved his home and family but it seemed his spirit cried out for more.
One day, the eagle looked to the skies above and noticed a group of mighty eagles soaring. “Oh,” the eagle cried, “I wish I could soar like those birds.”
The chickens roared with laughter, “You cannot soar like those. You are a chicken and chickens do not soar.” The eagle continued staring at his real family up above, dreaming that he could be like them.
Each time the eagle talked about his dreams, he was told it couldn’t be done. That was what the eagle learned to believe.
After time, the eagle stopped dreaming and continued to live his life as a chicken. Finally, after a long life as a chicken, the eagle passed away.
Moral: You become what you believe you are. If you ever dream to become an eagle,
follow your dreams, not the words of chickens.
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
Brotherhood.
Ram received an automobile from his brother as Birthday present.
One day when Ram came out of his office, he saw a street urchin was walking around the shiny new car, admiring it.
“Is this your car?” – He asked.
Ram nodded, “My brother presented me on my birthday.”
The boy was astounded. “You mean your brother gave it to you and it didn’t cost you nothing? Boy, I wish…” – He hesitated.
Of course Ram knew what he was going to wish for. He was going to wish he had a brother like his brother but what the lad
said jarred Ram all the way down to his heels.
“I wish,” the boy went on, “that I could be a brother like that.”
Ram looked at the boy in astonishment, and then impulsively he added, “Would you like to take a ride in my automobile?” “Oh yes, I’d love that.”
After a short ride, the boy turned and with his eyes aglow, said, “Would you mind driving in front of my house?” Ram smiled a little. He thought he knew what the lad wanted. He wanted to show
his neighbors that he could ride home in a big automobile.
But Ram was wrong again.
“Will you stop where those two steps are?” The boy asked. He ran up the steps. Then in a little while Ram heard him coming back,
but he was not coming fast. He was carrying his little crippled brother. He sat him down
on the bottom step, then sort of squeezed up against him and pointed to the car.
“There he is, brother. Like I told you upstairs, his brother gave it to him and it didn’t cost him a penny. Some day I’m going
to give you one just like it then you can see for yourself all the pretty things in the shop
windows that I’ve been trying to tell you about.”
Ram got out and lifted the crippled boy to the front seat of his car. The shining-eyed older brother climbed in beside him and the three of them began a memorable ride.

4 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2015
Cost of a miracle.
Tess was a precocious eight year old when she heard her Mom and Dad talking about her little brother, Andrew. All she knew was
that he was very sick and they were completely out of money. They were moving to an apartment complex next month
because Daddy didn’t have the money for the doctor bills and our house. Only a very costly surgery could save him now and it
was looking like there was no-one to loan them the money. She heard Daddy say to her tearful Mother with whispered desperation, “Only a miracle can save him now.”
Tess went to her bedroom and pulled a glass jelly jar from its hiding place in the closet. She poured all the change out on the
floor and counted it carefully. Three times, even. The total had to be exactly perfect. No
chance here for mistakes. Carefully placing the coins back in the jar and twisting on the cap, she slipped out the back door and
made her way 6 blocks to Rexall’s Drug Store with the big red Indian Chief sign above the door. She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her some attention but he was too busy at this moment. Tess twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise.
Nothing. She cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound she could muster. No good.
Finally she took a quarter from her jar and banged it on the glass counter. That did it!
“And what do you want?” the pharmacist asked in an annoyed tone of voice. “I’m talking to my brother from Chicago whom I
haven’t seen in ages,” he said without waiting for a reply to his question.
“Well, I want to talk to you about my brother,” Tess answered back in the same annoyed tone. “He’s really, really sick… and I want to buy a miracle.”
“I beg your pardon?” said the pharmacist. “His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing inside his head and my Daddy says only a miracle can save him now. So how much does a miracle cost?”
“We don’t sell miracles here, little girl. I’m sorry but I can’t help you,” the pharmacist said, softening a little. “Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn’t enough, I will
get the rest. Just tell me how much it costs.”
The pharmacist’s brother was a well dressed man. He stooped down and asked the little
girl, “What kind of a miracle does you brother need?”
“I don’t know,” Tess replied with her eyes welling up. “I just know he’s really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation. But my
Daddy can’t pay for it, so I want to use my money.”
“How much do you have?” asked the man from Chicago. “One dollar and eleven cents,” Tess answered barely audibly. “And it’s all
the money I have, but I can get some more if I need to.
“Well, what a coincidence,” smiled the man. “A dollar and eleven cents – the exact price
of a miracle for little brothers.” He took her money in one hand and with the other hand he grasped her mitten and said, “Take me to
where you live. I want to see your brother and meet your parents. Let’s see if I have the kind of miracle you need.”
That well dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a surgeon, specialising in neuro-surgery. The operation was completed
without charge and it wasn’t long until Andrew was home again and doing well.
Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of events that had led them to this
place.
“That surgery,” her Mom whispered. “was a real miracle. I wonder how much it would
have cost?” Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle cost… one dollar and eleven cents …
plus the faith of a little child.
Cc lalasticlala ishilove
I need to rest, bored of typing.

14 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by hahn(m): 1:47pm On Oct 18, 2015
thankyouJesus:
Cost of a miracle.
Tess was a precocious eight year old when she heard her Mom and Dad talking about her little brother, Andrew. All she knew was
that he was very sick and they were completely out of money. They were moving to an apartment complex next month
because Daddy didn’t have the money for the doctor bills and our house. Only a very costly surgery could save him now and it
was looking like there was no-one to loan them the money. She heard Daddy say to her tearful Mother with whispered desperation, “Only a miracle can save him now.”
Tess went to her bedroom and pulled a glass jelly jar from its hiding place in the closet. She poured all the change out on the
floor and counted it carefully. Three times, even. The total had to be exactly perfect. No
chance here for mistakes. Carefully placing the coins back in the jar and twisting on the cap, she slipped out the back door and
made her way 6 blocks to Rexall’s Drug Store with the big red Indian Chief sign above the door. She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her some attention but he was too busy at this moment. Tess twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise.
Nothing. She cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound she could muster. No good.
Finally she took a quarter from her jar and banged it on the glass counter. That did it!
“And what do you want?” the pharmacist asked in an annoyed tone of voice. “I’m talking to my brother from Chicago whom I
“Well, I want to talk to you about my brother,” Tess answered back in the same annoyed tone. “He’s really, really sick… and I want to buy a miracle.”
“I beg your pardon?” said the pharmacist. “His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing inside his head and my Daddy says only a miracle can save him now. So how much does a miracle cost?”
“We don’t sell miracles here, little girl. I’m sorry but I can’t help you,” the pharmacist said, softening a little. “Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn’t enough, I will
The pharmacist’s brother was a well dressed man. He stooped down and asked the little
“I don’t know,” Tess replied with her eyes welling up. “I just know he’s really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation. But my
“How much do you have?” asked the man from Chicago. “One dollar and eleven cents,” Tess answered barely audibly. “And it’s all
“Well, what a coincidence,” smiled the man. “A dollar and eleven cents – the exact price
of a miracle for little brothers.” He took her money in one hand and with the other hand he grasped her mitten and said, “Take me to
where you live. I want to see your brother and meet your parents. Let’s see if I have the kind of miracle you need.”
That well dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a surgeon, specialising in neuro-surgery. The operation was completed
Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of events that had led them to this
place.
“That surgery,” her Mom whispered. “was a real miracle. I wonder how much it would
have cost?” Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle cost… one dollar and eleven cents …
Cc lalasticlala ishilove

I've read this story before. It's not yours originally undecided
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by Kayoski(m): 3:07pm On Oct 18, 2015
hahn:

I am still searching for the part where the op said this strories are his/hers originally....
as long as they are fulfilling dier purpose (thought provoking) ,that's all I care..

3 Likes

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 6:41pm On Oct 18, 2015
hahn:

yes, it is not. I am trying to motivate people.

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 6:42pm On Oct 18, 2015
Kayoski:

I am still searching for the part where the op said this strories are his/hers originally....
as long as they are fulfilling dier purpose (thought provoking) ,that's all I care..
thank you for having my back

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by hahn(m): 7:04pm On Oct 18, 2015
Kayoski:

thankyouJesus:
Cost of a miracle.
place.
Cc lalasticlala ishilove

@bolded, the op claims he is broed of typing whereas all he has been doing is copying and pasting. He was indirectly claiming responsibility for the articles with that statement
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 10:37am On Oct 19, 2015
hahn:

@bolded, the op claims he is broed of typing whereas all he has been doing is copying and pasting. He was indirectly claiming responsibility for the articles with that statement
thankyouJesus:
From time to time, I will be posting thought provoking stories. MOD front page.
Here goes number one
At the embolden word, I think I have answered you. """""EDIT""""

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by smokescreen4: 1:57pm On Oct 19, 2015
Lovely stories indeed, weldone Op
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 6:16am On Oct 22, 2015
MAKING A DIFFERENCE.
One day after a high tide lots of sea-stars were brought to the shore. They started drying up in the sun. A boy, walking down
the shore started throwing the sea-stars into the sea, so that they could continue their lives.
A person came up to him and asked:
– Why are you doing this? Look around! There are millions of sea-stars; the shore is covered with them. Your attempts won’t
change anything!
The boy picked up the following sea-star, thought for a moment, threw it into the sea and said:
– No, my attempt will change a lot…for this sea-star.

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:16am On Oct 22, 2015
Everyone Has a Story in Life.
A 24 year old boy seeing out from the train’s window shouted…
“Dad, look the trees are going behind!” Dad smiled and a young couple sitting nearby, looked at the 24 year old’s childish
behavior with pity, suddenly he again exclaimed…
“Dad, look the clouds are running with us!” The couple couldn’t resist and said to the old
man…
“Why don’t you take your son to a good doctor?”The old man smiled and said…“I did and we are just coming from the hospital,
my son was blind from an accident in his fifth birthday, he just got his eyes today.
Every single person on the planet has a story. Don’t judge people before you truly know them. The truth might surprise you.

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:22am On Oct 22, 2015
Potatoes, Eggs, and Coffee Beans.
Once upon a time a daughter complained to her father that her life was miserable and that she didn’t know how she was going to make it. She was tired of fighting and struggling all the time. It seemed just as one
problem was solved, another one soon followed.
Her father, a chef, took her to the kitchen. He filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Once the three pots began to
boil, he placed potatoes in one pot, eggs in the second pot, and ground coffee beans in the third pot.
He then let them sit and boil, without saying a word to his daughter. The daughter,
moaned and impatiently waited, wondering what he was doing.
After twenty minutes he turned off the burners. He took the potatoes out of the pot
and placed them in a bowl. He pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.
He then ladled the coffee out and placed it in a cup. Turning to her he asked. “Daughter, what do you see?”
“Potatoes, eggs, and coffee,” she hastily replied.
“Look closer,” he said, “and touch the potatoes.” She did and noted that they were soft. He then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she
observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, he asked her to sip the coffee. Its rich aroma brought a smile to her face.
“Father, what does this mean?” she asked.
He then explained that the potatoes, the eggs and coffee beans had each faced the
same adversity– the boiling water.
However, each one reacted differently.
The potato went in strong, hard, and unrelenting, but in boiling water, it became soft and weak.
The egg was fragile, with the thin outer shell protecting its liquid interior until it was put
in the boiling water. Then the inside of the egg became hard.
However, the ground coffee beans were unique. After they were exposed to the boiling water, they changed the water and
created something new.
“Which are you,” he asked his daughter.
“When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a potato, an egg, or a coffee bean? “
Moral:In life, things happen around us,
things happen to us, but the only thing that
truly matters is what happens within us.
Which one are you?
Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:45am On Oct 22, 2015
This is not a story but what you can reflect on.
1. “Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.”
– Dennis P. Kimbro
2. “Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.”– Napoleon Hill
3. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
— Richard Branson
4. “Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”– Les Brown
5. “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.”
– Will Rogers
6. “To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.”
– Brandi Snyder
7. “When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’”
– Sydney Harris
8. “There is no such thing as failure. Failure is just life trying to move us in another direction.”
– Oprah Winfrey
9. “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.”– Jim Rohn
10. “Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.”– Joel Osteen
11. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
12. “Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.”– Ray Kroc
13. “Live each day as if your life had just begun.”
– Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
14. “If you think you can do a thing or think you can’t do a thing, you’re right.”
– Henry Ford
15. “The difference between a successful person and others is not lack of strength not a lack of knowledge but rather a lack of
will.”– Vince Lombardi
16. “Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs.”– Farrah Gray
17. “The best revenge is massive success.”– Frank Sinatra
18. “If someone tells you, “You can’t” they really mean, “I can’t.”
– Sean Stephenson
19. “I’ve had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened”– Mark Twain
20. “Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.”
– Babe Ruth
21. “Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.”
– John Wooden
22. “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” – Oprah Winfrey
23. “We become what we think about.”– Earl Nightingale
24. “If you can change your mind, you can change your life.”
– William James
25. “I am not a product of my
circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.”– Stephen Covey

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by thankyouJesus(m): 9:58am On Oct 22, 2015
SECOND CHANCES
A girl was standing on the roof of a high building. After finding out that her husband was cheating on her, she wanted to end with her life. After a short hesitation, she
made a step forward. The girl fell fast towards the ground. But just before the death, the fear filled her soul. Suddenly she felt like she was in someone’s embrace. She
opened her eyes and saw an angel, who was holding her in his hands.
– Why didn’t you let me fall? – She asked with anger.
– I will let you go if you agree to die understanding that there won’t be any memories of you left on earth, nothing.
– How is that? – asked the girl in surprise.
– You don’t have children, who would remember you, your mother is old and she will die soon. And everyone else…they will
forget about you soon…
– And my husband? He will blame himself for my death. If he will feel remorse all his life, he will remember me.
– That won’t happen, he doesn’t love you, he is happy with another woman. And he won’t
blame himself for a long time, soon he will forget you.
– Fine, I believe you. But I have things, photographs.
– Your apartment will burn down after one year. And all your things will turn into ash…
– But my friends have photos of me.
– You don’t have friends, – the angel said quite coldly.
– But… I am on the collective school photos.
Suddenly, the angel started to unclamp his hands.
– You are letting me go because I proved to you that there will be memories about me left?
– The girl asked mockingly.
– No. You are clinging to the strings so hard; you are convincing me that I would let you die, just like others are clinging to some futile opportunities so that they could live. I don’t want to spend these moments with you, because I could help other people during that time. I want to give people a
chance to live, not to die.

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by gidjah(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2015
hahn:

do you Mr ,have any 'original' story for us ?

1 Like

Re: Thought Provoking Stories by gidjah(m): 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
good work bro

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

She Doesn't Love Him, But He Doesn't Believe In Divorce. / My Husband Hired Agbero To Beat Me After 8 Months Into Marriage – Woman Laments / African In America Reacts To Stolen Tv (video )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.