Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,726 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

Mobile Phone Use In Africa - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Phone Use In Africa (1077 Views)

Youtube Enables Users To Save Videos For Offline Use In Nigeria. / Full Meaning Of Some Common Slang's Use In Chatting / How Can I Change The Number I Use In Registering My 2go To Another Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Phone Use In Africa by my2cents(m): 2:46am On Jul 19, 2006
As some of you may know, I subscribe to "The Economist" magazine. I highly recommend it to anyone who is tired of the "who got shot/entertainment" news that seems to be the norm these days. Anyways, in the one I just finished reading (it is a weekly and due to being busy, I am just now reading the february versions, but I digress grin), it made mention of something pretty interesting:

Nigeria ranks 8th among African nations (as of 2005) when it comes to cell phone usage at about 15 phones per 100 people. This actually represents a 105% increase from 2004 shocked shocked

1st - 7th (respectively): South Africa, Tunisia, Botswana, Algeria, Morrocco, Kenya and Egypt.

What surprised me the most though was that Botswana was ahead of us (40 phones/100 people) and that upon all the hype about Ghana, we surpassed them (they came in 14th at about 10 phones/100 people).

As for the other countries below Nigeria: sorry but I don't hv the magazine right now and due to information overload, I didnt have enough brain cells to spare for memorizing the list. Sorry, but at least you learnt something new today cool
Re: Mobile Phone Use In Africa by Badman888(m): 7:17am On Jul 19, 2006
Nigeria, has alot of people using mobile phones, but our poplulation is so much thats why the rate of bostwana and all those countries are higher than us, The rate at which mobile phone usage is going in Nigeria is crazy,
Re: Mobile Phone Use In Africa by my2cents(m): 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2006
Badman:

Na true talk. Also, cos it is nigeria, u never know, the survey could be biased. I for one don't c a country like Algeria with a history of wars being above us. Then again, they are in the mediterranean and closer to Euroope than we are.

U b real bad man grin
Re: Mobile Phone Use In Africa by 4peace(m): 6:22am On Sep 09, 2008
pls can somebody check now.Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Sending Mp3 From Sendo X Phones / I Was Recently Browsing With My Pc Via My Nec E313 Phone Which Runs Vmobile And After A Few Hours Th / Eureka! Phone Clinic Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.