Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? (1605 Views)

A Dangerous Malware Known As Ransom32 Discovered - Laptop Owners Beware / The Most Dangerous Andriod App Ever / /\ _ /\ Hi, How Are You /\ _ /\ A Dangerous Virus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by Cayon(f): 6:43am On Oct 12, 2008
Am sure, i am in the wrong section again - oh well -

Quick question: - i have a logitech quickcam pro 9000 that i use now and again to chat on msn etc. I would like to know if there is any risk of anyone getting in, turning it on and looking through it if I leave it plugged in? or could software like vlc or any other s/w be used to stream my web cam video from the net when i am using it to talk to family and friends. unaware that more than who i am chatting to is looking at me.

My mother thinks web cams are dangerous
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by uspry1(f): 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2008
u watched movies and heard media too much! grin lipsrsealed

I have used my Logitech QuickPro 4000 webcam over 3 years chatting with ONLY ONE TRUE CONFIDENT BEST FRIEND via YIM, AIM, or Windows Live as well as other private IM such as camfrog, paltalk, and many more. I STILL REFUSE give everyone seeing my webcam I BLOCK ANYONE ELSE. Sorry!

I am very private person.

Is your mother computer literacy? My parent are old-fashioned scare of computer technology world they have hard time learning new things.

Only webcams are dangerous, that is YOU GIVE EVERYONE YOUR PRIVATE (physical) IP ADDRESS to expose they can see your webcam WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSIONS. Because you gave them your IP ADDRESS.

Just like you give YOUR HOME or Cell PHONE NUMBER to EVERYONE public to call you.

You SHOULD ALREADY KNOW out there the world are SO SICK, PERVERTS, SCAMMERS, ETC. out there.
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by Cayon(f): 2:54pm On Oct 12, 2008
uspry1:

u watched movies and heard media too much! grin lipsrsealed

I have used my Logitech QuickPro 4000 webcam over 3 years chatting with ONLY ONE TRUE CONFIDENT BEST FRIEND via YIM, AIM, or Windows Live as well as other private I'm such as camfrog, paltalk, and many more. I STILL REFUSEgive everyone seeing my webcam I BLOCK ANYONE ELSE. Sorry!

I am very private person.

Is your mother computer literacy? My p[/b]arent are old-fashioned scare of computer technology world they have hard time learning new things.

Only webcams are dangerous, that is [b]YOU
GIVE EVERYONE YOUR PRIVATE (physical) IP ADDRESS to expose they can see your webcam WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSIONS. Because you gave them your IP ADDRESS.

Just like you give YOU[/b]R HOME or Cell PHONE NUMBER to EVERYONE public to call [b]you.

You SHOULD ALREADY KNOW out there the world are SO SICK, PERVERTS, SCAMMERS, ETC. out there.

We read your response all burst out in laughter.

I ask you a question, you telling me about you using your cam to chat with one confident and about giving out telephone and home address.  Only an idiot would put their  telephone/home address on the internet.

I must say reading your response, we came to one conclusion -i.e  you seem to have a personal vendetta against someone. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Well, since I didn't give anyone my IP (based on your answer) I am not at risk. 

Let me close my laptop and head to the beach.

P.S:  Next time when responding, please try and avoid the - I, You, Me, He, she, yours, mines, ours, theirs.  Why? I am direct person and love derect answer.

Ayway, on the bright side - Thank You for responding kiss

whispering to myself .*******.some women are so sensitive ********
Peace
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by uspry1(f): 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2008
Cayon:

We read your response all burst out in laughter.

I ask you a question, you telling me about you using your cam to chat with one confident and about giving out telephone and home address.  Only an idiot would put their  telephone/home address on the internet.

I must say reading your response, we came to one conclusion -i.e  you seem to have a personal vendetta against someone. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Well, since I didn't give anyone my IP (based on your answer) I am not at risk. 

Let me close my laptop and head to the beach.

P.S:  Next time when responding, please try and avoid the - I, You, Me, He, she, yours, mines, ours, theirs.  Why? I am direct person and love derect answer.

Ayway, on the bright side - Thank You for responding kiss

whispering to myself .*******some women are so sensitive ********
Peace

@Cayon, you GOT WRONG CONCLUSION ABOUT ME, you mentioned about me seem to have a personal vendetta against someone. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Who were my personal vendetta against someone? I HAVE NO REVENGE NO ONE! For what? I maybe am anti-social but I wasn't. Very few of those ignorant, ex-husband and enemies of mine had been asked for my FORGIVENESS for their make-up stories/lies/negatives about me in the past BECAUSE I AM SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT FROM THEM they admitted themselves jealous of my accomplishments they failed.

They all knew that i was TOTALLY INNOCENT over 20 years that i have not involved with them! They chose what they want in their own lifestyle they enjoyed with. I chose mine what i want to enjoy with my lifestyle.

I had been attended to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class reunion every 10 years both high school and college, i was swarmed asking for my EMAIL, IM, and mailing address I TURNED THEM FLATLY DOWN. I only am very picky to choose ONLY ONE TRUE BEST FRIEND i confide with, not everyone else. Like FAMOUS QUOTE: there is no permanent friend or enemy out there. They always comes and go not going FOREVER UNTIL YOU DIE!

I don't fit both world: deaf world and hearing world! I am neutral between them peacefully!

You are still fresh young RIGHT NOW, when by the time you are near either middle-age or retirement age, you will understand what I talked about!

FINALLY: to your quick question: ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS?

TO MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: no, as long as you don't give out your private IP Address for webcam to anyone else the same way you do give out your home or cellphone number to anyone else the SAME PRINCIPLES!

COMMON SENSES!

I have heard MANY THOUSANDS HORRIFIC STORIES about WEBCAMS being DANGEROUS, because ONLY THEY IDIOTS give out THEIR IP ADDRESSES to stranger they do not know anyone. PERIOD!
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by Cayon(f): 2:50am On Oct 13, 2008
uspry1:

@Cayon, you GOT WRONG CONCLUSION ABOUT ME, you mentioned about me seem to have a personal vendetta against someone. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Who were my personal vendetta against someone? I HAVE NO REVENGE NO ONE! For what? I maybe am anti-social but I wasn't. Very few of those ignorant, ex-husband and enemies of mine had been asked for my FORGIVENESS for their make-up stories/lies/negatives about me in the past BECAUSE I AM SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT FROM THEM they admitted themselves jealous of my accomplishments they failed.

They all knew that i was TOTALLY INNOCENT over 20 years that i have not involved with them! They chose what they want in their own lifestyle they enjoyed with. I chose mine what i want to enjoy with my lifestyle.

I had been attended to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class reunion every 10 years both high school and college, i was swarmed asking for my EMAIL, I'm, and mailing address I TURNED THEM FLATLY DOWN. I only am very picky to choose ONLY ONE TRUE BEST FRIEND i confide with, not everyone else. Like FAMOUS QUOTE: there is no permanent friend or enemy out there. They always comes and go not going FOREVER UNTIL YOU DIE!

I don't fit both world: deaf world and hearing world! I am neutral between them peacefully!

You are still fresh young RIGHT NOW, when by the time you are near either middle-age or retirement age, you will understand what I talked about!

FINALLY: to your quick question: ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS?

TO MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: no, as long as you don't give out your private IP Address for webcam to anyone else the same way you do give out your home or cellphone number to anyone else the SAME PRINCIPLES!

COMMON SENSES!

I have heard MANY THOUSANDS HORRIFIC STORIES about WEBCAMS being DANGEROUS, because ONLY THEY IDIOTS give out THEIR IP ADDRESSES to stranger they do not know anyone. PERIOD!
A Kindred Spirit

Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by uspry1(f): 6:31am On Oct 13, 2008
@Cayon, you think I am a Kindred Spirit person!

Nope, I don't believe in soul mates, fall-in-love, and fantasy or dream---whatever it is! I am not looking for or yearn for a husband! I don't have one over 5 years. Better off being single divorced mother of two children. I grew up in happy small isolated farming rural/county childhood life with no drug/alcohol, rape, or mentality abuse. I am gifted and talented child.

I used to be DAYDREAMER when i was young during school years. Now i am in middle-aged i no longer have dreams anymore, but i have almost everything i have: car, house, job, and family (single parent). Dreams are FOR FOOLS! DREAMS ARE NOT REAL THINGS!

I assumed you already read my Nairaland journal that is found at my Nairaland profile by now.

What are you trying to get me into? Are you shrink to analyze who I am you think you know everything about me?  grin
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by Cayon(f): 8:50am On Oct 13, 2008
uspry1:

@Cayon, you think I am a Kindred Spirit person!

Nope, I don't believe in soul mates, fall-in-love, and fantasy or dream---whatever it is! I am not looking for or yearn for a husband! I don't have one over 5 years. Better off being single divorced mother of two children. I grew up in happy small isolated farming rural/county childhood life with no drug/alcohol, rape, or mentality abuse. I am gifted and talented child.

I used to be DAYDREAMER when i was young during school years. Now i am in middle-aged i no longer have dreams anymore, but i have almost everything i have: car, house, job, and family (single parent). Dreams are FOR FOOLS! DREAMS ARE NOT REAL THINGS!

I assumed you already read my Nairaland journal that is found at my Nairaland profile by now.

What are you trying to get me into? Are you shrink to analyze who I am you think you know everything about me?  grin

Oh boy, I think one of us Overstood each other.

I meant nothing negative when I said a kindred spirit.  All i was trying to say is that based on what you wrote I see a person with whom I have something in common.  And no, I am not defining friendship.

a kindred spirit is someone who appreciates the smallest (and largest) (usually unnoticed) things in God's world and accepts that I appreciate them, too. It's just two people that are on the same wavelength, that see certain esoteric things the same way. They don't always need to NOTICE the same things, but if one notices them, the other  appreciates them as well.

I MEANT NOTHING IN THE FORM OF YOU LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND OR I LOOKING FOR FRIENDSHIP. ITS JUST WHEN I READ YOUR EMAIL I FELT SOME CONNECTION BASED ON WHAT YOU WROTE. OR AS THEY SAY BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I APOLOGIZE IF I CAME OFF NEGATIVE OR GETTING PERSONAL WITH YOU

Pl. see definition of Kindred spirit below
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kindred%20spirit

Take care
Re: Quick Question - ARE WEBCAMS DANGEROUS? by tpia5: 4:37am On Jan 05, 2014
hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Avira Antivir Personal Vs Eset Nod32 / Hp Omen / Multilinks 3g Broadband Very Slow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.