Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,317 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler (5213 Views)

Raising a Healthy Dogs / Buying A Rottweiler Or Boerboel For 30k. Is This Achievable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Google63(m): 7:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
I intend to get a dog soon, and I'm going for a rottweiler. This is the first time I'll be raising a dog, so I need advice on the dos and donts. A friend asked me to buy a 4 month old rottweiler, is it advisable for a newbie like me, or should I just go for a puppy? Pls pieces of advice are welcome
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Seun(m): 11:54pm On Jul 21, 2014
Have you lived with dogs before (e.g. as a child)? If not, then getting a Rottweiler may be a mistake. If so, then it may still be a mistake.

Rottweilers are not as aggressive or wild as people think they are, especially when brought up with love and proper training. They are very smart and trainable and can even be funny. However, they are dangerous for two reasons: they are really, really strong (making them hard to control physically) and also have the strongest bite force among popular dog breeds (which means a bite from a Rottweiler will do more damage than a bite from a GSD for example). So if you don't have the required experience to raise the Rottweiler right, the consequences could be catastrophic.

If you still want to get a Rottweiler, pls get one with a tail. A docked tail makes it hard to read the dog's emotions and this causes accidents.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by jeff1607(m): 5:32am On Jul 22, 2014
Rotts aren't for everyone especially for first timers but if u still insist on getting one then you must be strong willed and u will need lots of patience and time with ur rott. And also get ready for ur shorts or trousers to get dirty from the usual jumps(puppyhood)
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by sarutobi: 6:00am On Jul 22, 2014
Seun: Have you lived with dogs before (e.g. as a child)? If not, then getting a Rottweiler may be a mistake. If so, then it may still be a mistake.

Rottweilers are not as aggressive or wild as people think they are, especially when brought up with love and proper training. They are very smart and trainable and can even be funny. However, they are dangerous for two reasons: they are really, really strong (making them hard to control physically) and also have the strongest bite force among popular dog breeds (which means a bite from a Rottweiler will do more damage than a bite from a GSD for example). So if you don't have the required experience to raise the Rottweiler right, the consequences could be catastrophic.

If you still want to get a Rottweiler, pls get one with a tail. A docked tail makes it hard to read the dog's emotions and this causes accidents.

You know so much about dogs bro.

We had a family rott (ROGER) that we ingnored for over 6 years. It greww very quickly and its skin was almost as strong as an elephant's. It wasn't totally our fault though, we were all still in boarding school back then and the only people he saw daily was my dad (who only feeds its btw).

The problem started when nobody remembered to losen the collar on its neck as it grew. So the poor dog went through intense pain for 6 years+. It became extremely violent. Nobody could go close to it AT ALL. I beleive a rott's bite can tear off a human's limbs. We fed him like we were feeding a lion. It takes 3 people and the vet to inject this dog.

Then one day it chased my dad, my dad fell, my mom could not even come out to help him. He just went over to my dad and started sniffing him while my dad lay there in shock and fear. My younger brothers came home from school and angrily killed it with some chemical. cry

We have a gsd now, and i must say they are the best domestic dogs to have.

I will keep following to learn more thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by henry007(m): 11:26am On Jul 22, 2014
sarutobi:

We had a family rott (ROGER) that we ingnored for over 6 years. It greww very quickly and its skin was almost as strong as an elephant's. It wasn't totally our fault though, we were all still in boarding school back then and the only people he saw daily was my dad (who only feeds its btw).

The problem started when nobody remembered to losen the collar on its neck as it grew. So the poor dog went through intense pain for 6 years+. It became extremely violent. Nobody could go close to it AT ALL. I beleive a rott's bite can tear off a human's limbs. We fed him like we were feeding a lion. It takes 3 people and the vet to inject this dog.

Then one day it chased my dad, my dad fell, my mom could not even come out to help him. He just went over to my dad and started sniffing him while my dad lay there in shock and fear. My younger brothers came home from school and angrily killed it with some chemical. cry

why would your dad run from his own dog?! I'm :s. it still didnt bite. maybe you shldnt let someone fearful feed your dog all the time , dogs can sense such. as for collar, I'm pretty sure you weren't taking the dog for walks outside the house so what's the use of the collar?! meanwhile walking a dog daily is very essential to its temperament.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by sarutobi: 1:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
henry007: why would your dad run from his own dog?! I'm :s. it still didnt bite. maybe you shldnt let someone fearful feed your dog all the time , dogs can sense such. as for collar, I'm pretty sure you weren't taking the dog for walks outside the house so what's the use of the collar?! meanwhile walking a dog daily is very essential to its temperament.

Ha my brother, the dog no sabi owner oo. As others have said, rotts can be very scary.
No, i have never taken the dog for a walk before. We put the collar on him at a young age because dogs look better with a cute collar. grin

When i start living alone, i intend getting a rott. I want to take it up as a challenge. I have seen some rott play with children but i wonder how people manage to achieve it.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Google63(m): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2014
henry007: why would your dad run from his own dog?! I'm :s. it still didnt bite. maybe you shldnt let someone fearful feed your dog all the time , dogs can sense such. as for collar, I'm pretty sure you weren't taking the dog for walks outside the house so what's the use of the collar?! meanwhile walking a dog daily is very essential to its temperament.
do you think raising a rottweiler is alright for a first timer like me? Considering the fact that I have neighbours too
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by henry007(m): 3:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
Google63: do you think raising a rottweiler is alright for a first timer like me? Considering the fact that I have neighbours too
No I don't think you can handle a rott....start with a German shepherd or boerboel.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Seun(m): 3:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
henry007: No I don't think you can handle a rott....start with a German shepherd or boerboel.
Yes, a German Shepherd is a good choice. I don't think a purebred Boerboel is any better than a purebred Rottweiler for a first timer, though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by henry007(m): 4:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
Seun:
Yes, a German Shepherd is a good choice. I don't think a purebred Boerboel is any better than a purebred Rottweiler for a first timer, though.
boerboels are social, rotts aren't, predominantly speaking
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by ukicom86(m): 4:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
Getting a female pure rot to join my 16months male cross-breed rot...What do you think?
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Seun(m): 5:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
ukicom86:
Getting a female pure rot to join my 16 months male cross-breed rot...What do you think?
Please don't mate them since your male is not pure.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by ukicom86(m): 5:53pm On Mar 16, 2015
Seun:
Please don't mate them since your male is not pure.
My family goes with your view...I will talk to my vet on that...Thank you. Am gonna have a puppy again. My cross-breed jumps on me too much and can be dangerous to play with. I am the only one that attend and gets close to the dog in my family, i hope they dont do same with my new pup in 2weeks. I rarely travel and sleep out because of the dog.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Seun(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
ukicom86:
My family goes with your view...I will talk to my vet on that...Thank you. Am gonna have a puppy again. My cross-breed jumps on me too much and can be dangerous to play with. I am the only one that attend and gets close to the dog in my family, i hope they dont do same with my new pup in 2weeks. I rarely travel and sleep out because of the dog.
My advice is; don't get a new dog. First learn to control the dog that you have. Then teach your family how to control and enjoy the dog. If you're not sure about what to do, we can teach you since we have all had the same issues with our dogs. A new dog will cause more problems.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by ukicom86(m): 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2015
Seun:

My advice is; don't get a new dog. First learn to control the dog that you have. Then teach your family how to control and enjoy the dog. If you're not sure about what to do, we can teach you since we have all had the same issues with our dogs. A new dog will cause more problems.
Well, i have paid for the dog already. It might interest you to know that i am the only male/man that stay in my house so i understand the ladies world. My mum get close but get scared of the jumping and all that. Some ladies can hardly kij a rat, chicken, lizard, cockroch, etc. My neighbour that stays 3gates away has 2 5years+ rots, though the dont play or walk-out with them anymore. There is no how my sisters will accept getting close to the dog so no nenm waiting or trying to convince them. I know them better. In my house, am the only one that gets to the generator, you can imagine.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2015
Call or whatsapp to obtain your pets import permit 09032490147.

1 Like

Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by BOUNTYDOG(m): 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
If u must get a rott as a newbie,don't take the male 1st,u can cope with the female but she must be a puppy and u must be strict in bringing her up,no mercy when she breaks a rule

1 Like

Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by soasm(m): 12:51am On Aug 19, 2015
Google63:
do you think raising a rottweiler is alright for a first timer like me? Considering the fact that I have neighbours too
I'd say being a first timer doesn't mean you can't raise a Rottweiler, I started with one actually.
But, I'll strongly advice that if you don't have time to take care of the dog, walk it, play and feed, don't think about getting it plus like the other post stated, Rottweiler are very strong especially in pulling, they are bred to pull and not walk side by side except they are tired. The choice is yours bro.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by knyte(m): 6:52am On Aug 20, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
If u must get a rott as a newbie,don't take the male 1st,u can cope with the female but she must be a puppy and u must be strict in bringing her up,no mercy when she breaks a rule
LOL, no mercy ooo.u spare the rod and u spoil the dog
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by martete1(m): 5:42am On Aug 23, 2015
Rott are aggressive, bt nt d way u pple always exaggerate it, we bought a, 5weeks old rott when out baby was 3months old, and since then d dog and baby stayed together as best friends, tho d dog is aggressive, nt to anyone in d house, even if u have just spent Jst 1week in d house. No matter how aggressive a breed is, training matters alot. D more reason why most dog are aggressive, is because we keep them in cage alot. So go for the rott if u wnt it nd can take care of it.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by PAQ(m): 11:01am On Aug 25, 2015
Like the poster above me said take good care of it, love it, play with it learn how to walk with it on a leash. Follow these tips i learnt;

. Don't let it walk infront of you when on a leash.
. Dont let it step out of the door or gate before you, or else he will want to dominate you.
. When playing or walking, try to have one of your family members around so he will get used to them and recognize them even if they are not in
direct contact with the dog.
. As a puppy try to take it out and socialize with different people, dogs and other environments.
. Try n teach him simple tricks like; sit, come, stay, shake.

I just got a two month old Rot and i apply these guidelines to every dog i have owned. For Feeding just get Indomie waste and fish meal (Very economical) some times you can mix eggs. To add calcium i dry out the egg shells, blend dem to dust and add to the meals.
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by NevetsIbot(m): 10:42am On May 11, 2020
sarutobi:

You guys maltreated the dog and you don't even feel sorry? Who chains a dog all day
Re: Advice For A Novice On Raising A Rottweiler by Ofeh2(m): 12:15pm On May 11, 2020
Seun:
Have you lived with dogs before (e.g. as a child)? If not, then getting a Rottweiler may be a mistake. If so, then it may still be a mistake.

The pitbull has a stronger bite force than a rott

(1) (Reply)

American Eskimo Pups For Sale / Is This A Bullmastiff Dog? / Please Wish Prodeegee Happy Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.