Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,734 members, 7,955,787 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:08 PM

Help With My External Hdd - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help With My External Hdd (1038 Views)

Help! My External Hard Drive Is Inaccessible / Short Cut Virus On My External Hard Drive / How Do I Remove $RECYCLE.BIN Virus From My Laptop And External HDD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 1:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
Good day, please I have a WD branded 500GB external hard disk. the problem I have with it is that recently whenever I try to connect it to my laptop using a usb cable, it doesn't read, except when I hold and press the usb cable very hard to the external hdd before it gets recognized by te laptop. I would like to know if the usb port on d external hdd can be replaced or what do I have to do to get this fixed as I have too many vital documents on it. Thanks allot for ur suggestions.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 5:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
iameffiong: Good day, please I have a WD branded 500GB external hard disk. the problem I have with it is that recently whenever I try to connect it to my laptop using a usb cable, it doesn't read, except when I hold and press the usb cable very hard to the external hdd before it gets recognized by te laptop. I would like to know if the usb port on d external hdd can be replaced or what do I have to do to get this fixed as I have too many vital documents on it. Thanks allot for ur suggestions.

You solved your own problem my friend, no need for intervention. The issue is either with the cable being placed in a loose connection or a loose port by itself. Replace the cable, see if that solves the issue, if not, is there any other usb port you can experiment with?
Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 4:38pm On Jul 25, 2014
Fulaman198:

You solved your own problem my friend, no need for intervention. The issue is either with the cable being placed in a loose connection or a loose port by itself. Replace the cable, see if that solves the issue, if not, is there any other usb port you can experiment with?
Thanks, yes I do have other cables and I have tried using them but the thing is that I have to press on hard and at a particular angle before the computer recognizes it.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 4:54pm On Jul 25, 2014
iameffiong: Thanks, yes I do have other cables and I have tried using them but the thing is that I have to press on hard and at a particular angle before the computer recognizes it.

It sounds like an issue with your port. It's not secure and snug. Be careful for pressing too hard though. You could damage some internal pins/connections on your device.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 6:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
Fulaman198:

It sounds like an issue with your port. It's not secure and snug. Be careful for pressing too hard though. You could damage some internal pins/connections on your device.
so can it be changed/ fixed by a computer engineer.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 7:22pm On Jul 25, 2014
Now I need to know which port is loose, you said you have to push your device in to work. Do you have to push it into the computer port? or the WD external drive port for it to work? if it is the USB port on your computer, I would say a cheaper alternative would be to plug in a USB hub into one of the non-loose ports on your computer. Please get back to me about this at your earliest convenience so we can continue troubleshooting the issue.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by worldgee: 5:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
I hv encountered dis kind of issue b4 esp. partial contact both on UPS port n wd ext. hdd port. DIY Wisdom bailed me out cos it occurred 2 me on time dat I was close 2 massive data loss. At d point of holding d cable n ports firm for it 2 be recognised on d system, I quickly backed up all my data. A few days after even d partial contact could nt work again.

My advice. Try back up your data first.

If d problem is wt d ext. wd port, I'm nt sure it can replaced: (bt it can be converted 2 internal hdd if it is desktop).

If d problem is wt d USB on lappy, it shld hv other port. Ignore dat port n make use of d other(s). If dat is d only working USB port on d lappy, I'm afraid it may be complex changing dis since most ports are onboard.

If it is just d USB cable dat hs d problem, then d issue is simple. Wt just 200 box, u can get it replaced. D stress is nt worth it.

Hope dis helps.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 3:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
Fulaman198: Now I need to know which port is loose, you said you have to push your device in to work. Do you have to push it into the computer port? or the WD external drive port for it to work? if it is the USB port on your computer, I would say a cheaper alternative would be to plug in a USB hub into one of the non-loose ports on your computer. Please get back to me about this at your earliest convenience so we can continue troubleshooting the issue.
It is the port on the WD hdd that I have to press on.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 3:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
worldgee: I hv encountered dis kind of issue b4 esp. partial contact both on UPS port n wd ext. hdd port. DIY Wisdom bailed me out cos it occurred 2 me on time dat I was close 2 massive data loss. At d point of holding d cable n ports firm for it 2 be recognised on d system, I quickly backed up all my data. A few days after even d partial contact could nt work again.

My advice. Try back up your data first.

If d problem is wt d ext. wd port, I'm nt sure it can replaced: (bt it can be converted 2 internal hdd if it is desktop).

If d problem is wt d USB on lappy, it shld hv other port. Ignore dat port n make use of d other(s). If dat is d only working USB port on d lappy, I'm afraid it may be complex changing dis since most ports are onboard.

If it is just d USB cable dat hs d problem, then d issue is simple. Wt just 200 box, u can get it replaced. D stress is nt worth it.

Hope dis helps.
Thanks a lot bro for the detailed explanation on each aspect that could possible be solved buh the thing is I don't think I will be able press long enough for the back-up to be complete. The data component is more than 350gb. And I also don't really like making my internal hdd full that's why I got the external hdd
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 4:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
iameffiong:
It is the port on the WD hdd that I have to press on.

Ouch I see, the hdd is defective then. I should have asked that question earlier. There is no way to fix that then unless you buy a new one:

Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ouch I see, the hdd is defective then. I should have asked that question earlier. There is no way to fix that then unless you buy a new one:

and that was exactly what I was trying to avoid, isn't thr anyway I can convert it and use it one my laptop?
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 6:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
iameffiong: and that was exactly what I was trying to avoid, isn't thr anyway I can convert it and use it one my laptop?

If it is still under warranty, I advise you somehow get a warranty replacement. I don't think there is a way to fix such a thing except to get a new one.
Re: Help With My External Hdd by iameffiong(m): 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
Fulaman198:

If it is still under warranty, I advise you somehow get a warranty replacement. I don't think there is a way to fix such a thing except to get a new one.
thanks a lot for the time u spent replying me with best possible solutions. I really appreciate it, thanks
Re: Help With My External Hdd by Fulaman198(m): 12:03am On Jul 30, 2014
iameffiong: thanks a lot for the time u spent replying me with best possible solutions. I really appreciate it, thanks

No problem

(1) (Reply)

Enjoy Mtn Cheapest Data Plan! / Learn Php/mysql The Wordpress Way!!! / Bumble For PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.