Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,055 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Salient Points About English Language Confusables - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Salient Points About English Language Confusables (610 Views)

Oh, This Thing About English On Nairaland, Me I Don Tire!! Take A Look At This.. / 28 Interesting Facts About English Lang. / Fact You Should Know About English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Salient Points About English Language Confusables by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 24, 2014
A scrutiny at the way most people use some English words prompted me to post this topic. So long as Education is concern,one of the ways in which someone can evaluate your level of education is via your spoken language.Confusables refer to two or more words which can be used in place of another owing to similarity in pronunciation,spelling or meaning.A good example is the word OUTSET often mistaken for ONSET.The word outset denotatively refers to the beginning of something,while onset refers to the beginning of something unpleasant e.g,disease,calamity,etc. I often feel discourage each time I hear people saying: "from the onset of this occasion,party,event, lesson,etc". Another good examples of confusables are HISTORIC & HISTORICAL,CORROAORATE & COLLABORATE,ACCENT and ASCEND,EXALTATION & EXHORTATION,CREDIBILITY & CREDULITY. The problem with our generation is that research is been given short shrift,we tend to rely solely on anarchronistic ideas which doesn't tally with the dynamic nature of English.

(1) (Reply)

Ican / FUT Minna 2014/2015 Remedial Thread / 10 Unbelievable Strategies That Will Earn You A Good Degree From NOUN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.