Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Story: Fast Lane - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Fast Lane (16005 Views)

Down The Memory Lane - 1 / Shadrack Lane: A Short Story By Jean Abbey / Amanda : the journey down memory lane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 11:42pm On Aug 07, 2014
U re welcome dearie
Re: Story: Fast Lane by zyzxx(m): 9:07am On Aug 08, 2014
wao, it takes me 3 days to finish this long update because of convention thingy

Thanks princesa may God continue to increase ur knowledge ma'am amen

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 10, 2014
Hummmmmm
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 10, 2014
Princesa-Princesa

No be me u go kill with the 'sweetness' of this ur Tory oooooOoh! cheesy

Like seriously, I suspect my wife has been spying on me ever since I stayed glued to this ur thread.
You knw now, dat your women kind of look...!

I'm a responsible man (# you knw now grin)
and the last thing I need right now is my woman looking @ me over her shoulders.

Damn!!!
Even my few years old daughter has been looking @ me suspiciously! undecided
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2014
maishot:
Princesa-Princesa

No be me u go kill with the 'sweetness' of this ur Tory oooooOoh! cheesy

Like seriously, I suspect my wife has been spying on me ever since I stayed glued to this ur thread.
You knw now, dat your women kind of look...!

I'm a responsible man (# you knw now grin)
and the last thing I need right now is my woman looking @ me over her shoulders.

Damn!!!
Even my few years old daughter has been looking @ me suspiciously! undecided
not only suspiciously, na furiously. Thanks for readingwink
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 10:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
princesa! Princesa!! Princesa!!! How many times did I called u? I beg u wit evrythn u hold dear, come n update pls. Waiting......
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 11:00pm On Aug 13, 2014
toykathy:
princesa! Princesa!! Princesa!!! How many times did I called u? I beg u wit evrythn u hold dear, come n update pls. Waiting......
lol Kathy, I'm sorry, will start typing. Promise.smiley

Btw, check out the story: unfulfilled promises, you'd love it.

And have you voted yet?
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2014
princesa:
lol Kathy, I'm sorry, will start typing. Promise.smiley

Btw, check out the story: unfulfilled promises, you'd love it.

And have you voted yet?

unfulfilled promises by who? And yes have voted
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 7:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
toykathy:

unfulfilled promises by who? And yes have voted
Audrey Timms, check it out. Very nice
Re: Story: Fast Lane by zyzxx(m): 10:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
princesa:
princesa welldone oo long time, we are waiting oo
Re: Story: Fast Lane by waistaa(f): 9:49am On Aug 17, 2014
Princesa if I get hbp u go dey pay for ma treatment angryPrincesa if I get hbp u go dey pay for ma treatment
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Jornson: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2014
Welldone ma'am
Re: Story: Fast Lane by losprince(m): 1:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
princessa how about a date for an update?
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 2:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
princesa:

happy sunday darlyn, thz 4 introducin me 2 unfulfilled promise, its cokeastic, fantastic, ribenastic. That aside, wen re u updatin now? Plsssssssssss
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 11:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
@losprince, Zzyxx, waista and Toykathy...My very loyal readers.

I've got an update ready, though not a full chapter oh. So Give me tomorrow to upload. Thank you for ur patience sad

and thank you jornson, welcome on board the 'slow lane' sad

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 1:33am On Aug 18, 2014
What? After waitin for like 4eva? sad Anyways, just bring am like dat I go manage am wink
Re: Story: Fast Lane by zyzxx(m): 7:50am On Aug 18, 2014
princesa: @losprince, Zzyxx, waista and Toykathy...My very loyal readers.

I've got an update ready, though not a full chapter oh. So Give me tomorrow to upload. Thank you for ur patience sad

and thank you jornson, welcome on board the 'slow lane' sad
wao, thanks so much
Re: Story: Fast Lane by nicholausian(m): 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
Lovely story is all I can say smiley
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 18, 2014
Oh gosh! I forgot u were one of my fav here,its bin long since "taking chances". wow,ds s another very interesting story dat got me thinking. weldone ma
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 5:05am On Aug 19, 2014
Princesa whatz up now? I tot u said u have short update for us? Or re u doing dis intentionally? Abeg come and update b4 i change my mynd.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
Its no lie Kathy. I do have the update, its on my LP. Posting is just the issue here cos I only have steady internet on my phone. Its a long story anyways.

Candis009 yeah, welcome too hope you like this story too.

Nicholas. Thank you.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 4:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
Chapter seven
Two days later and Angie was already missing her secluded swing back at Alhaji’s, she therefore found herself trekking down to the back of Kamal’s property - an unconscious act, seeing that it was sort of the same place where her precious swing was located back at the estate. She didn’t see the swing however, but met a mini garage where a black huge power bike was parked beautifully there. Without given it a thought, she went to sit quietly on it while her mind roamed freely as she tried to make sense of all the information two days with Rose had bombarded her with.

True to Rose’s words, her phone had indeed opened a new side of her she never imagined existed. The little black piece did have her life documented between its walls. She discovered that she had been a beautiful lady who had been bold, daring and ambitious. It brought tears to her eyes when she watched herself sing so melodiously, the videos there said more than enough about how music had indeed been her passion.

Then the pictures? There were uncountable. Coming in different styles and colours, with clothes she never dreamt in her present state of having and with people whom she hardly recognized, but were friendly and didn’t seem to want to control and keep her caged in like a bird. Rose’s pictures were there, some guys who she’d assumed were her band mates were there, but there was no family. No picture of her mum, her dad or her sister whom she’d met only just once.

That scenario made her conclude that she wasn’t close enough with her family and probably explained the reason why she hadn’t been in the family picture frame that hung in the parlour of her home. Why and what had happened between her and her family had been one of the predominant issues plaguing her mind for the past two nights when she had woken up just to stare at her series of photographs, read her messages or watch the videos again.

Kamal didn’t also have a strong presence in the phone. As a matter of fact, only Rose had. He had however appeared just once and it hadn’t really been an intentional pose behind a camera. It came out blurred and looked like he didn’t want to have his picture taken. Why she had gotten so smitten as to allow herself get pregnant for him, was another issue she couldn’t also fathom. Adding to the fact that at the moment, she still wasn’t feeling so love inclined towards him. This meant that she didn’t and hadn’t loved or liked him, then why was she pregnant for him?

She would have loved Rose to supply her with answers there, but judging by the way Rose acted around him, it meant she had not known him close enough too. If Rose, her long time friend, didn’t know who Kamal was, then who the hell was he?

Angela sighed angrily now, the issue was getting her confused and defeated. She changed her position on the Bike now to ease the side of her bum that was getting sore. She was wearing a pink floral dress that Rose had brought for her, and the flarity of it was giving her much comfort than she could imagine. It was the only reason why she hadn’t been bitter these few days towards the unwanted baby growing inside of her. Left to her, she wouldn’t fail to get rid of the thing and get back her life. For some reason, she had a strong conviction that her pregnancy and the mystery shrouding her stay with Kamal’s was the only thing keeping her in this tussle between father, son and their mid girl – Aisha. And oh, even Thunder too; only God knew where he’d since disappeared to. It wasn’t like she was missing him. Angela shrugged.

But thinking about all of them and Aisha in particular, made Angela’s face squeeze in anger and disgust. Hearing about how Aisha and her had known each other since school, and how she’d been some self celebrated evil queen seemed to have allayed her unfounded fear and mystification of her worth. On normal circumstances, she thought, Aisha would be a friend or an enemy that she would never ever fear. The Angela that her phone had shown her wasn’t one to be cowered into fear and submission by a mere girl who was just as pretty and popular as she was. But even though her boldness was boosting, that didn’t mean she could dare to challenge her. She still kept up the scared, helpless and reverent act whenever their path crossed – and that had been very minimal because for some reason, Aisha had been keeping to herself, not fermenting her usual tirade and troubles. One thing was certain however, Aisha’s demi-god ability has been demystified. No more crinkling up in fear as she’d done back in the estate. Angela smiled confidently at her resolve.

Kamal too was also one of the tormentors who had let her be. He was hardly around in the day, had packed few of his clothes out of her temporal room to a place she couldn’t care the least for. He had also volunteered to run around for their groceries, choosing instead to have Rose list out their needs while he went for them. Rose was banned from stepping out, hers had been natural, and the gate to the compound was forever locked. If she looked at it some other way, life here was better.

Angela finally breathed deeply; glad for the chance this secluded place had offered her to clear her head. She made a mental resolve then to always come here. And now, she settled comfortably on the bike in preparation for the travel in her head. Since her brain had resolved not to let her in on its secret about what had been her life, she was contented with making up who she assumed to be the real her, the glamorous, bold and beautiful her – the one her phone had painted for her. It had fast become her pastime.

“here you are!” someone exclaimed from behind making Angela quickly turn around. She saw her friend approaching her with a worried look on her face. “I’ve been searching all over for you...what are you doing here?” she added looking around disapprovingly.

“hey” Angela replied, a bit sad for the invasion.

“what are you doing here?” Rose repeated.

“nothing exactly, just wanted some air” she replied and shrugged.

“air? Here? How did you even search this place out?”

Angela smiled briefly in response and shifted on the bike for her friend to seat. She wasn’t about telling her about the swing back at the Estate or the relationship it shared with this particular place.

“you enh…I don’t understand you again” Rose finally said and went t sit beside her friend. She knew better than to push forward because these few days she had learnt where to draw the curtains on some discussions, especially when Angela gave her this cold vagueness like she was doing now. And as always, an awkward silence would follow.

And so, for what seemed like hours where they’d just sat without saying anything to each other, Rose busied herself with looking around the mini garage, she sighted empty bottles of alcoholic drinks, cigarette packs and sticks scattered sparingly around.

“must be heavy on drinks and cigarettes then” she observed quietly to herself, but Angela heard.

“Kamal?” She asked.

“what about him?”

“he drinks and smoke. I suspected too” Angela replied, looking around the garage for the first time since she’d walked in. “Tell me about him” she suddenly said a minute later.

“Kamal?”

“yes”

“I told you before; I don’t know much about him”

“Oh please…anything!” she cried. “I must have told you something about some guy I was seeing right?”

Rose breathed deeply before she answered. “Well, you did tell me about a guy…even travelled to South Africa with him for a week shortly after you guys met…twas against my better judgment off course…but you weren’t a type that listened so easily to people” She paused briefly before she continued: “I think you guys met at the last gig we did together as a group… I said last gig because soon as you returned from the trip, you went berserk, fought with me, with the crew and left the band”

“I left the band?” Angela asked alarmed.

“yeah” Rose shrugged.

“why?”

“I don’t know. Chris, the group leader, questioned you over your one week absence without due permission and other series of group boycott and rehearsal sessions you skipped but you got very angry and quit.”

“really? And this was after I returned from the trip with this guy?”

“yes…but the whole attitude all started after you met some top shot guys at the Senator son’s birthday bash. You labeled them ‘the key to your stardom’” Rose said sardonically. She wasn’t about to spare her friend these little tit bits. As far as she was concerned, that birthday bash had been the beginning of the plight her friend was presently in.

Against her better judgment, Angela had frolicked with the ‘big’ guys she’d met on there. Being the star girl of their band, she had been singlehandedly chosen by the celebrant to lead their song piece at his bash; everyone had been charmed by her personality and wanted a piece of her – as always. She of course, had had no problem with that, and would have also had a stint with the celebrant if he hadn’t ended up shot in his own party.

And currently, the news about the death of senator Lai’s son had already fizzled out, with hands pointing at his father political opponent as the perpetuators. It was like what? Five months after and nothing tangible had been discovered about his death. That was their problem anyways, Rose mused. She was lucky to have made it out of the party alive, and had her future to look forward to; the rich have their problems, just like the poor and she couldn’t be bothered…

“tell me in his name” Angela asked suddenly, cutting into her thought. She had been quiet since, the news bit about breaking up with the band had hit her to the core. It had somehow destroyed the pleasant picture she had conjured up in her head about them performing together. And now she wanted desperately to know about the guy who had taken away her first love.

“who?” Rose replied.

“The guy you said I met at that party, the one that made me break up with the band” Angela replied. Tiny lines of anger were creeping up her pretty face.

“argh! can I still remember his name?…he had a funny name like that…”

“please think harder. I need to know who he was”

Rose thought deeply for a moment before she sad: “something around…err...Smooth…yes Smooth! That was his name. I’m certain about that!”

“Did you say Smooth?”

“I’m certain. Can you remember him?”

Angela scoffed before she slowly revealed: “Smooth is Kamal…it’s his other name.”

“are you sure?”

Angela nodded.

“oh” was all Rose could utter in surprise. Some things were finally beginning to make sense, she thought.

“yeah. He’s been the one all along” Angela said quietly to herself rather dejectedly. Her instincts had not been wrong after all, hating Kamal all this while had been for a reason, he had ended up ruining her life for real. And she was carrying his child! The stupidity of it all! She felt like crying now.

Both friends fell silent, each processing the information they had both unlocked. So caught up were they in their thoughts that they didn’t notice Aisha approaching, or when she stood glaring at them, not until she spoke.

“what in the world are both of you doing here?” she asked with a smirk . She was smartly dressed in a blue jeans and a black top and looked like she was going somewhere. “Is this where you’ve led her to so you can still help her remember?” she directed sarcastically at Rose. She had yesterday cornered Rose and warned her to stop trying her best to make Angela remember about her past. It had obviously fallen on deaf ears.

“Would you just go wherever it is you’re going to and leave us be?” Rose replied her, too drained for her troubles.

“I’ve told you, the vegetable state she’s in is the best for her, if you keep pushing, you may end up doing more harm than good. Either way, I win, you all lose” Aisha said.

“I don’t care what you think Aisha. When did you even become an oracle at something that I should heed?”

“since when I made it into Law school and came out with flying colours. And oh, the last time I checked, you didn’t pass your bar exams and she didn’t even enter Law school. You are both losers simply meant for each other.” Aisha taunted and laughed heartily.

Rose said nothing in reply. She couldn’t make up a comeback. Aisha’s knowledge about her failure had simply shocked, shut and defeated her that all she could do was stare numbly at her.

“Oh God! Why aren’t their days like this? I know I got you there. Thought you’d run your low class mouth this time around” she taunted further.

Angela forced herself to keep mute and not interfere as she looked on. She was however not enjoying the smug look of victory on Aisha’s face or the defeated state her friend was in or the invasion of their privacy that her presence had caused them! What was Aisha even feeling like? She thought angrily. She however promised herself then to one day stand up against her and let her know that she was no longer afraid of her, oh how she wished to do so.

But Aisha didn’t seem to notice her presence as she spoke again to Rose. “Anyways, take care of…of…” she wanted to say biitch but thought against it. “…Whatever, I am off.” She finally said and with that started walking away. “And hey! don’t even think about leaving, because you can’t!” she called after them before her features disappeared behind the building.

Some minutes after Aisha left, Rose spoke: “I’m quitting the band, I want to concentrate on my bar exams this year” The idea had developed in her mind before then but hearing Aisha ridicule her over it seemed to have solidify her resolve and once she got back, she would let her mind known to the rest of the crew.

“don’t let Aisha bother you” Angie replied

“it’s not her. it’s something I had wanted to do for a while now”

“oh…wish you the best then” Angela simply replied later.

“I’m going in to make lunch, you wanna join me?” Rose asked later and jumped down from the bike.

Angela shook and her head and smiled.

“ok then” Rose replied and walked away. Angela stared at the retreating figure of her friend and even more after she had also disappeared behind the building before looking away. Suddenly she felt a severe headache grip her and she immediately clutched her head tightly and tried to jump down from the Bike but stopped immediately after she pictured hazy flashes of a girl riding at the back of a guy who was driving a bike just like the one she was sitting on.

Not knowing who or what she saw or where the vision had come from, she closed her eyes tightly and tried to concentrate but that had not proved futile because at the end, it felt like it had been her mind playing tricks on her. Feeling confused and disappointed, she maneuvered herself down from the bike and started walking away.
She had however not taken a few steps when the headache returned in painful spasm, followed by a hazy picture but this time around, it became clearer. She saw who the girl was. It looked ever inch like her.

She saw herself laughing heartily at the back of the bike; saw as the wind being gathered by the speeding bike rush pass her, tousling her long hair and affecting her eyes. She saw herself looking so excited as she clung unto the driver of the bike in an attempt to stand up from a speeding automobile. She tried desperately to make out the face of the driver, but her brain would not turn, it seemed bent on catching just her part of the ride. Try as she did, she couldn’t make out the face of the other man. But she was very sure that the passenger had been her.

Feeling both confused, excited and scared, she hurried off to go tell Rose what just happened to her, her brain might finally begin to remember some things, she thought happily as she ran.

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
Aisha dropped her phone after she ended the call then stretched languidly on her bed and glanced lazily around her allocated room, it was looking better than she had met it days ago all thanks to her effort.

Yawning lazily, she rolled to the other side of the bed, there her eyes met with the little table clock which showed its time as 11pm, Wednesday night. Then she went over the plans she had made with Ali so far. He had been the caller of minutes ago and she had given him feedback on the outcome of her outing yesterday.

Kamal’s house was located in a developing estate site where he and a few other occupants had already bought lands and modeled their homes according to the designated style and that meant that he had not many neighbours but the little he had were far away from each other. That had turned out to be good news for Ali and their abduction plan.

Another plus was also the fact that the road that led out of the estate to the main road stretched long enough for them to easily ambush and kidnap their target without much interference since it had more bushes and less house. The odds were therefore in their favour. They had an element of surprise, less interference to contend with and Kamal would obviously be undermanned and unprepared so their job would just be as easy as slicing a knife through butter. Aisha smiled at the allusion and rolled again.

The only problem, however, plaguing her mind now was the extent to which Ali would go to achieve his mission. She didn’t want any death or causalities to spring up but then again Ali could not be trusted. The guy could be as ruthless as he could be thoughtful, so given the fact that he loathed Kamal for some ridiculous reasons, there was no way she would know if he decide to score some extra points with him.

And that was the problem. She didn’t want him dead. Even though they were presently not in good terms, she still had an absurd feeling for him. But that aside, she most importantly didn’t want complications.

Alhaji could make everyone believe that he hated his son and that he wasn’t capable of any feelings, she knew otherwise. She had seen enough to know better. Angela was allowed to live though the risk with her situation only because Kamal, his only son, had specifically pleaded on her behalf. Any other person and she wouldn’t have had a chance in hell.

Then there was Zainab, his other child. It wasn’t lost on her how much Alhaji loved and spoilt the little brat forgiving for flaunting his orders when that would be death sentence for any other person. Yes! Alhaji might be everything but good, but when it came to his children, he was capable of more. Not orgetting to add that she too was a living witness of how nice he was to those he called ‘relatives’.

So if Ali got so carried away that he made the costly mistake of harming his son, then she was as good as dead as he. It was hard enough thinking about how to exonerate herself from the suspicions that would surely follow the kidnap to start worrying about her life.

Aisha sat up now, the recent line of thought had succeeded in knocking off her pleasant mood and replacing it with worry. She had never thought about this side to the story, not until now. Apprehensively, she picked up her phone to dial his number so they could run over this sensitive issue but met with failure as he had switched off his phone.

“damn the Bastard!” she exclaimed bitterly and flung her phone on the bed then tried to relax in the few minutes that followed but found out that she couldn’t as apprehension gnawed at her. Cursing bitterly, she sprang up on her feet, deciding to calm her frayed nerves with some drinks as she headed to the parlour.

Kamal, sitting shirtless on one of the high stool that complemented the wine bar in his parlour, poured himself another drink from the Hennessey bottle nestling close by and drained the content of the glass in one go. His eyes however held not the burning tale that he’d been affected by the large quantity of alcohol he’d just drained in one gulp, instead they were glazed as he dropped the glass and bowed his head lightly. This was what he did every night, it was in fact one of his pastimes, the alcohol helped him sleep easily and cleared his mind whenever he wanted to think. This night however, there wasn’t any big issue plaguing his mind apart from the usual. And as he helped himself to another glass, he thought about Angela.

She was probably enjoying her stay with him…ok not with him, but her friend. He couldn’t deny that this was the only good thing that her pestering mother had done so far and seeing that she was happy also made him happy. Not even the fact that she had constantly tried to avoid him and make him feel less important to her or their child could make him bring himself to feel less for her. But what had he expected anyways? Angela had always been proud, snobbish and arrogant whenever she wanted, so the way she was presently acting wasn’t something new. Maybe some characters were, but this had always been her just the way he had known her.

Yet, he couldn’t totally deny that he felt bad whenever she ignored him especially since he couldn’t tell if she was still angry with him over their fight before the incidence that led to the memory loss. Their fight had started some weeks after their return from a vacation in South Africa. He had discovered then that she was mostly out with him for what she could gain, not love or anything close, and would not think twice at jumping on the next available rich catch if he proved too difficult - and of course the guys never stopped flocking in their numbers.

But the big turn had been when she had one day sprung up the pregnancy issue, insisting that he was responsible for it. And while he had had no issue about his involvement, he had not wanted the child. Well, neither did she.

“I hate careless girls” he remembered succinctly telling her when she had come to tell him of it. They’d eventually agreed on abortion and he’d given her some money to carry out the deal only for her to return few days later asking for a ridiculous large sum of money as compensation before she could “endanger her life” as she had put it.

But off course, he had bluntly refused; he wasn’t about becoming her money bank knowing that that was what she had truly being after from the onset. It was however during the period when they were going back and forth on the issue that she had mistakenly gotten herself into Alhaji’s trouble. Her stupidity and stubbornness had caused it for her. Simple instruction on calling before coming over had been the hardest task that Angela couldn’t…

A hand lightly brushed pass his bare back just then breaking his thought and diverting his attention. Kamal raised up his head to see Aisha smiling seductively at him even as her hand still lingered on his broad shoulders. He mentally dismissed her, caring not that she was still tracing her hand sensually across his naked torso as he turned back to the glass he had filled few minutes ago and drained it down in one gulp then let his head fall back as it had before.

Aisha stood there a minute, but seeing that Kamal was far from caring and hardly acknowledge her presence, she pouted her lips in mock annoyance and went to pull a stool close to him then sat quietly and helped herself to a glass of wine. The duo sat in a somewhat companionable silence for a while before Aisha finally spoke.

“So you’re gonna just pretend I’m not here?” she asked calmly.

Kamal said nothing. He raised up his head instead and busied himself with closing the wine bottle after which he shifted it away together with his glass indicating that he had had enough drink for the night. Yet he made no move to stand, speak nor showed any indication that someone was sitting just a few inch from him.

“ok then” Aisha said and sipped from her glass. Soon, her eyes caught a cigarette pack lying on the table. She reached out for it, pulled out a stick and lighted it then drawing on it deeply; she turned to him and found him staring rather blankly at her. She met his eyes and smiled as she blew out the thick smoke which gained extra hue due to the dim light in the parlour.

“don’t you think it’s too late for that” Kamal sais to her.

Aisha smiled then tapped out the ash from the cigarette in an ashtray close by. “You do know that I don’t listen to you again right?” she replied, smiling slyly.

“Suit yourself” Kamal curtly replied and turned away.

“I always do” She replied and puffed out another thick cloud of smoke.

Kamal glanced sideways at the clock, it showed the time to be a few minutes to twelve but he didn’t feel like retiring to his make shift bed just yet neither was he keen on company. He thought he could easily ignore Aisha, her tirades or whatever she was doing up by this time as he let his head return to its former bowing posture.

Aisha on her part, continued steadily with her drink and smoke all the while not taking her eyes off him. She felt a strong attraction to him at that moment. A bizarre attraction that had started when she had stalked him silently by the door minutes ago, unnoticed by him. She had admired the way he had just sat there calmly and brooding like one who had some dark secrets to hide. The fact that he never allowed anyone close or got close to people was what had initially drawn her to him.

After her father’s death, she had made the decision to go stay with Alhaji – his close friend - whenever they weren’t in session or when she wanted to get away from school troubles, not that the estate was void of troubles of its own, but it was still home. She’d however first met him in one of the years when she permanently started living at the Estate after graduation and law school. They said he had just returned from the United Arab Emirate where he’d been living all the while and had come to work for his father.

Even since then, Kamal had always being a hermit, choosing only the jobs he wanted and preferring to work alone most times. But after much trial on her part to get closer to him, she had succeeded and even earned the rare privilege of being an assistant to him in any mission he undertook. And after the years of working together as his friend and partner, he had still not shown any interest whatsoever for anything romantic with her. She’d eventually given up trying, deciding instead to console herself with the rare friendship he offered, especially since there was no woman to contend with her platonic place in his life - not until Angela that is.

With her came a change in his attitude, a change that would go unnoticed to others but to her, it was monumental. Kamal who didn’t socialize much started breaking his own rule. He started going out and even frequented a particular club which she later learned was where Angela sang or worked as a stripper…she couldn’t be bothered which. At that time, she didn’t think it would last for long, but she’d been totally wrong. Everything had gone too fast for her to keep up with. Kamal changed completely; they’d even gone on a trip together! Now that was a big leap for a loner like Kamal, in all their years together as friends, he had even suggested that they hung out, not even for a cup of coffee he knew she strongly detested.

No one could imagine the shock she got when she finally met the ‘her’ only to realize that it was the same girl she already knew from way back. A girl that had always pinned to live up to her standards and begged to fraternize with the clique she kept back then in school, a girl that was popular nonetheless but not in anywhere near her status. A bleeping low-class wannabe!

It had been like a slap on her face. How the circle had rounded to connect them in the future was what she couldn’t tell. She had known Angela’s family to be one of the top shot contractors in Abuja but learnt then that they had moved to Lagos two years back. Now she knew why. They were obviously running from the sins they committed for her father’s death had been one that shook the corporate world back then in Abuja. It was a murder they had easily evaded but not anymore, because as far as she was concerned, Angela’s father wasn’t the only culprit in the murder, they all were. And she wouldn’t spare anything to see Angela suffer for all their sins.

At that moment, a voice within told her that she was allowing jealousy cloud her judgment while actually disguising selfishness for revenge. But she silenced the voice and drained her wine. It wasn’t selfishness she defended, it was fate turning the circle around again to place her right in her arms and with a bigger offence she couldn’t let slide, one that would fetch her something big…only if she played her cards right.

But right now, she thought with a smile, she could even trade everything just to have Kamal respond to her subtle advances. And at that moment she felt a surge of hormones overwhelm her and found herself pinning for his body against hers. Without a second thought, she decided to hit on him again. Maybe Kamal would finally find her attractive and see her for the pretty and irresistible lady she knew she was. She encouraged.

Smiling seductively now, she threw the burnt out cigarette stick into the ashtray then returned her hand back on Kamal’s shoulder and swiftly worked her way down to his back. She kept on at this for some time before Kamal slowly turned at her.

“what exactly did you say you wanted” he asked blankly. His eyes looked drowsy like he had been sleeping all the while his head had been bowed.

“what do you think I want” Aisha replied, battling her eyelids seductively at him.

“please go back to bed” he replied in exasperation.

“only if you would come in with me…” she teased, her voice taking on a husky ring. “…you’re so damn beautiful, do you know?” she whispered as she stood and went all the way to his back, dropping lingering kisses at him as she whispered on: “you’ve never had a taste of me before that’s why you keep rejecting me…how long since you’ve gotten laid? No woman can know you like I do…Why don’t you just let me…take you to cloud nine” she was now nipping playful at his ear lobe. “No one has to know” she whispered to his ear. “Everyone is asleep…come let me show you how much I really love you, how much good I can make you feel, how much…” her voice trailed as she busied herself with placing wet kisses against his upper body.

But like a flash, before Aisha could explain how it had happened, she found Kamal holding out her hand in the air as he faced her squarely in the face, his expression cold and hard, reflecting that he’d not been affected by her seduction nor did he feel the blood that was surging through her brains.

“get a hold on yourself woman!” Kamal barked at her, flung her hand away and brushed pass her to go lie on the couch.

His word kept ringing in her ears as she just stood there dazed. She couldn’t utter a word, hadn’t even turned as he walked away. Shame and anger washed through her at that moment and she felt tears burn her eyes at Kamal’s brutal rejection. So caught up was she in her seduction act that she hadn’t noticed that it was a one sided affair and that the heat she thought was mutual had only been burning her up.

Feeling renewed hatred for Kamal and even Angela, she slowly picked her way back to her room. So much for feelings and impulses, she thought sadly.

7 Likes

Re: Story: Fast Lane by timpaker(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2014
Yeah!!! She updates....
smiley
First to read grin cool

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2014
Yeah! I was very glad realising Angie will recover soon,I can't wait. more pls

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by nicholausian(m): 6:33pm On Aug 21, 2014
"so much for feelings and impulses"- this is probably going to be my favourite scene. Such catharsis and blunt refusal. Excellent Princesa, excellent.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 6:52pm On Aug 21, 2014
nicholausian:
"so much for feelings and impulses"- this is
probably going to be my favourite scene. Such catharsis and blunt
refusal. Excellent Princesa, excellent.

*curtsies lightly*

Thank you smiley

ps: timparker, candis007 and other wonderful readers, I've updated the last post, so please read up.

phew! been trying to post that all morning...

and err...
jeffreyjames, deiok, kingphilip, underage, queenxter, i dnt see you guys again, what i do? embarassed
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
Dear princessa,I can't find d new update
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 9:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
finally, thz 4d update. 4 d first tym, i tink am beginin 2 like kamal for rejectn aisha s advances. Weldon Princesa. Wen shud we be expectin ur nxt update?
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 8:53am On Aug 22, 2014
Candis009:
Dear princessa,I can't find d new update
i modified the last update, i.e. Added to its earlier post. Unless you've already read it

@toykathy... Soon I will smiley
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Mutaino7(m): 10:33am On Aug 22, 2014
princesa:
i modified the last update, i.e. Added to its earlier post. Unless you've already read it

@toykathy... Soon I will smiley
abeg dat one no do at all... As a covert ghost mode reader i find diz piece........but gatz 2 updated even if it is once a week abeg, bikonu, jare!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. / Lagos Dudes: The Beginning!! / Torn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.